All member reviews for Back to the Future

'80s time-travel favorite has laughs, romance, action.

Adult Written bygoodgirl November 16, 2015

before the internet we had Back To The Future.

I love this movie. its about time travel and its very enjoyable. rated PG-13 yes for language . not for young kids . 10 and up its fine. I was born in 1985 and this is a great movie!!!
Adult Written byKermet November 15, 2015

Very good family movie

Back to the Future is an old movie so the rating might be a bit off today but nevertheless it is still very family friendly. Yes it might have some swear words here and there but it isn't like kids are going to go out and start using them because of one movie. Also things which aren't socially acceptable today may have been acceptable back then so you just have to keep that in mind. This isn't Spielberg's fault. Highly recommended.
Kid, 10 years old November 9, 2015

Amazing movie

It is an amazing movie with great features. My only concern is the swearing and violence for younger children. When we got the trilogy it was rated PG but had quite a few swear words in it and a lot of violence . Otherwise it is one of the best movies I have ever seen.
Educator and Parent Written bynbishop October 25, 2015

Great movie---except for blasphemous language and date rape attempt. Should be PG-13.

I love Common Sense Media and always use it to pick movies for my kids and even use it when we show movies at school to be sure they are OK- even if rated G. Common Sense Media works!! I am disappointed. though, that on the list of bad language used in this movie, that "God d--- i-" was not on the list . That language is never OK and I need to know if it is used in a movie. It is used twice in this movie. I also think that Biff was attempting sexual assault - date rape is a serious and violent crime. Marty intervenes, but young children should not be exposed to this content. If this movie was rates in 2015, it would certainly be PG-13.
Kid, 12 years old October 25, 2015

Great movie with violence and cussing

This movie is a classic and a great, funny movie, but has major cussing and some violence. There is a fatal shooting and an assault on a high school girl. A man slams his hand in a trunk and a lot of blood is shown. This is a great movie if you are 12+.
Adult Written byjimmypage October 18, 2015

The best!

One of 80s' finest and funniest! Fun movie to watch, lots of swearing, but it's all just for laughs really. The pacing is fast, and the 50s scenes are really superb. Some might just find it disturbing to watch [SPOILER!] the protagonist's mother's infatuation to his son, [END OF SPOILER!], other than that, it's a great watch and one of the best time travelling movies I've ever seen!
Teen, 13 years old Written byJkaur123 October 18, 2015

AMAZING FILM

Since it's back to the future day in only THREE DAYS and you haven't given your child a chance to see it I think that's unacceptable. This film is one of my favourites and it's such an inspiring and creative film that all the family would love. It would be such an honourable film to watch on back to the future day and I think that everyone should get to see it on that very day. Apart from some crude humour and a bit of violence I think that even 7 year olds would be okay to watch this film with adult supervision. An absolute classic legend!! Highly recommend it.
Adult Written byMTheEpic October 11, 2015

Really don't get why people think it's so bad...

I see how it has bad language, but REALLY??? If it was released now, it would probably get PG still, unless the MPAA is stupid. If anything makes it inappropriate, it is the language, violence, and sexual content. But really, only twice does the sexual content worry me. It really is for 10 year olds.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydkasal000 September 18, 2015
Great but some swearing. swearing is frequent to occasional and sometimes strong but a must see for preteens
Teen, 14 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan August 27, 2015

"Back to the Future" movie review

"Back to the Future" is my favorite comedy of all time. I generally prefer darker movies such as "The Godfather" or "The Departed". That being said, "Back to the Future" is nearly as good as those two pictures. "Back to the Future" is a hilarious and heartfelt story that is so entertaining to watch. The sense of adventure gives the audience a warm feeling. The characters are iconic. Marty McFly is one of the coolest movie characters ever. He is somewhat of a troublemaker who learns to be mature in the end. Doc Brown is hilarious and eccentric. The movie's theme is that intelligence beats brute force and strength. This means that everyone should stand up to bullying and do the right thing all the time. It is a brilliant theme that isn't done in a cliched manner. If I truly nitpick and deconstruct the story, I might find a few plotholes. However, I think this movie is more for entertainment than studying and analyzing. The music in this movie is excellent. The score by Alan Silvestri gives the sense of adventure the movie needs. Who can forget "The Power of Love" by Huey Luis? It is so memorable. "Back to the Future" was so good even Gene Siskel liked it. "Back to the Future" is one of my favorite films of the 1980s (3rd favorite right after "Die Hard" and "Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back"). Robert Zemeckis did a phenomenal job directing one of the best comedy/adventure stories of all time. This is my favorite of his works. If you have not seen "Back to the Future", please watch it. This is a movie every person on Earth has to see, movie-fan or not.
Kid, 10 years old August 22, 2015

We don't need roads

I saw this movie, and I liked it. You should really check it out.
Kid, 11 years old August 12, 2015

Very good movie, iffy material

Parents warning: Drinking, smoking, and suggestive matieral. Preview before showing kids, but if you let them watch it, they will be laughing the whole time.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieKid387 August 8, 2015

This movie could have been PG-13 for Language....

This movie is totally fun and I love watching it and it never gets old really. But the only concern I had with it was the language. I actually watching the 5th time wrote down every bad word in the movie and it came up to 60. Lots of s words, h words, gds, d words but really it's not exactly frequent. Great family comedy!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheLoneReviewer August 4, 2015

Steven Spielberg Production of a Robert Zemenicks Classic is Required for Any Movie Fan.

(Brief Review): Back to the Future is amazing. With great direction, nifty ideas, and talented actors, this is a really amazing film that is destined to become a classic. Grade: A. PG (Some Action/Violence and Brief Language/Drug Use).
Kid, 12 years old June 26, 2015

FANSTASTIC!! 9/10

Great movie, although Marty McFly and many other characters tend to swear very much (Occasionally saying the s-word, d-word, h-word, b-word, and the a-word.) No nudity, or sex, but there are some suggestive themes that might be inappropriate. Over all, a fantastic, funny, heartwarming story. I'd say you've got to be 13 and over to see this movie in my opinion.
Educator and Parent Written bysamenv June 23, 2015

Bad Words And Sexual

Kid, 11 years old May 25, 2015

Very good but lots of swearing

The movie is great, but there was a lot of bad language. My family and I were surprised at how many swear words were used. Also, there was one scene that we thought was VERY inappropriate for kids under 14, or maybe even older, where Biff tries to force himself onto Lorraine. Other than that, it was an amazing movie and it was funny to see what people were like back in 1985 and 1955.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byBuckyD May 16, 2015

Movie is awesome, but question-provoking for tweens

I was in my early teens when this movie first came out, and absolutely loved it. I must have watched it when it came onto cable TV 20 times. The storyline about making good choices and the positive consequences of rising to meet challenges is well done and something I wanted my almost-10 year old daughter to see in a fun way. I knew the language was iffy and the storyline with the "terrorists" was going to be a bit hard to understand ("Mom, what's plutonium?" "Why are they going after that scientist with that large gun-thing?"), but she hears that language at school and in semi-bleeped pop songs that she listens to on the radio, and the news has far more sinister talk about terrorism and dying than this movie could ever present. Those pop songs on the radio also have all sorts of veiled references to bodies being together, making out, drinking, and watching women in various states of undress, so many of the scenes called out in other reviews are not such a big deal to my daughter (peeping tom, camping at the lake together, mom having the 'hots'). I've had to already do some age-appropriate explaining about healthy relationships around the *stuff* played on the radio -- that stuff in the movie was minor. No, the real difficulty as we watched the movie was trying to answer questions about the scene at the dance where Biff is attacking Marty's mom in the car. Despite having spent the last 6 years talking about "healthy touch", "no secrets from Mom", and "private parts are private" with her, she was definitely disturbed at this scene. I did have to stop it and explain how he was trying to "touch her privates" and she needed to fight back hard and did the right thing by asking George for help when he happened upon it. So, given that I had already been laying the groundwork for avoiding sexual assault with my daughter (yes, unfortunately we live in a world that this is something to worry about), I was able to move through that scene with her. Honestly, after witnessing her reaction to that scene unfolding, I probably should have waited another year to watch this movie with her, and I am really glad that she wasn't watching this alone or just with friends. But, given the groundwork I've already done to protect her from real-life situations, overall it was okay and she took the main message from the movie. I disagree with CSM's "ON" for 8 years old based on the sexual assault scene alone. I would "PAUSE" for 8-10 and be "ON" for 11 -- and the pause decision really depends on how much the parent has laid the groundwork for bullying behaviors and "unwanted touch" vs. shielding them entirely from that issue.
Teen, 14 years old Written byProjektor May 14, 2015

I think that this is the world's best movie ever made. This is so entertaining and so much the idea of ​​containing

This movie have some violence and swearing and very mild comic sexuality and rape.
Kid, 8 years old April 17, 2015

A must-see family movie

A great movie for kids aged twelve and over, children under twelve will feel quite tense in some scary scenes. A lot of bad language and some mild violence. Just remember, all of the scary things in back to the future and other action movies are all just special effects. These days they can make it look like crazy things are happening with amazing stunts. like in Back to the future when Marty Mcfly punches horrible bully, Biff in the face. Some sexual scenes and speech, some young children will feel uncomfortable with these scenes.