Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Batman (1989)

Stylish, violent, and dark superhero adventure.

Adult Written byIronJustin September 12, 2019

Batman

Batman from 19819 was the best original Batman movie with Michael Keaton as Batman and Jack Nicklson as the best Joker he was the best this movie is rated PG this was not scary plus we are going we going in the month of October for Halloween

Adult Written byHeartart August 12, 2019

Quirky and Dark

Out of all the actors who have played Batman, Michael Keaton and Christian Bale are my favorites!
Michael Keaton was just comedic enough to somewhat lighten the scene. Or, to add a bit of sarcasm.

And, in Batman Returns, Christopher Walken as an influential business owner!? Hello? Genius!!
Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman is perfection. Danny DeVito as the Penguin is amazing.

Absolutely love the Tim Burton versions.
Parent Written bySneequerSakadopolus May 27, 2019

Michael Keaton

Jack Nicholson

BOOM!

Parent of a 9 year old Written byray b. February 19, 2018

Good for the Family

It was a good movie for kids and enjoyable
for adults to.

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U January 2, 2018

Surprisingly dark, but it was almost the 90s so, um.

Adult Written byNathan R. November 9, 2017
Adult Written byMelisa L. October 6, 2017

Good film

This film is very good and it can be dark at times though. It isn't that scary apart from a few scenes, when Vicki Vale throughs water on the jokers face and he goes "BOO!". Besides from that and a bit of language and violence, it's fine for kids.
Adult Written byJoe J. March 9, 2017

"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

Parent Written byAngel K. November 22, 2016

Adult Written byMurphy04 December 7, 2015
Michael Keton is the best batman
Funny Great But Violent Not for Under Tweens

Adult Written bylouisa1 February 21, 2015

tim burtons dark adventure may be scary for young kids

don't get me wrong, this is an adventure for the family, though some kids may not be mature enough for this films dark themes. violence: there is a lot of guns in the first climax with police offices getting shot, and our main villain: jack napier falls into a huge amount of acid, and his face is scarred (may scare young children) then he ends up shooting a man stabbing a man in the neck with a feather pencil, tazers a man till he's a skeleton, a man is shot in the face, a women is shown to be very badly beaten, and ends up jumping out the window (offscreen but may scare children) he's shot at by batman, and at the end climax he falls off a building to his very dark death, the good role models consist of: batman (though very often he uses guns he always does what's right for gotham city) vicki vale (a very nice and non whiny female character) and finaly harvey dent (in this movie he dosen't turn into two face and ultimatly is very helpfull to the comunity) all in all batman is a great family movie only make sure your kids are mature enough for the violence.

Adult Written byLazercheese December 27, 2014

**** it, it is very dark

Adult Written by[email protected] September 24, 2014
Inappropriate times. But its a good movie. There is lots of violence at times person gets burned up.

Adult Written bycoolkid007 September 4, 2013

not for kids under 13

Well it is a good movie although there are two f-words and other profanity, the violence is medium for a PG-13 movie. Joker is pretty evil, there is also a joke about drugs, drinking and drunkeness. There is also some kissing and a bed scene

Parent Written bySinfoniarc December 7, 2012

Outdated But Still A Good Movie

I'm not sure that Common Sense is being completely fair to Michael Keaton's role in this movie. Keaton portrays Batman as the dark, mysterious, character that he was first drawn to be. While he certainly lacks the intensity of Christian Bale's Batman, he does the role justice. I can't argue the fact that Nicholson steals the show from him, though (and is appropriately given top billing for his performance). I would attribute Nicholson's performance to being closer to that of Cesar Romero as opposed to Heath Ledger. Parents will certainly appreciate that when it comes to deciding whether or not to let their kids watch this movie.
Language is generally mild but it's PG-13 and there is some bad language. The Joker's antics are pretty zany but for the most part mild by comparison to The Dark Knight. It's an action movie, so be prepared for some cartoon-ish action violence.

Parent Written byStepMomSterToo July 23, 2012

Tim Burton's Vision of Batman

I am surprised that this is a nine and up on this website. I feel like after watching this movie recently, it's actually on the darker side. This is not an Adam West movie, although it's not mature like the Dark Knight trilogy. I wouldn't just give this movie an open thumbs up for every nine year old. Know your kids, there is shooting, people dying and some images that could be scary for the immature 9 year old.

Adult Written byAndy RC April 7, 2012

Kids loved it. every kid saw this

I was 4 when i first saw Batman. My mother let me watch it because she assumed it was kid friendly, like the tv show.

I do not remember finding any part of this film scary or disturbing. I loved it.

as an adult I can see how dark it really is, but this stuff goes way over children.
Adult Written byVFX_Punk March 30, 2012

This is THE best Batman movie, but will your kids be okay watching it?

I'm a huge fan of the Batman comic books, and I've loved the series since I was a four year-old. What I am genuinely surprised about is how no one even went into the grotesqueness of some of the stuff the joker does (He permanently disfigures his girlfriend for kicks). There are also a whole bunch of double entendres, not to mention the Joker has an extremely unhealthy fixation on Vicki Vale. I first saw this at age ten, with my Uncle and to be honest this is my favorite Batman movie thus far, but before you let your kids watch this you need to know whether they are mature enough to watch this stuff. And also depending on your kids age it may not be something they can watch due to some of its contents. It's a great movie, but just be sure your kids are okay to watch it before you play it for them.

Adult Written byChuck Reid March 21, 2012

Wonderful movie!

This movie is really funny and entertaining.If you love Batman you'll love this!
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byOKinOK January 2, 2012

Sadistic Joker and electrocuted corpse too much for my 10 year old

Our 10 and 12 year olds watch a lot of movies, but the extended scene with the creepy electrocuted corpse was too much for my 10 year old. Jack Nickolson's Joker was theatrically sadistic, which crosses a particular line with young children. We had to stop the movie, though half of the family could have continued watching and would have rated this movie OK. The movie moves a bit slow, and it is amazing how much has changed in movie making and technology since 1989.