Smart and entertaining, but also very violent.

Adult Written byfmikef April 9, 2008

Dark

I think that this movie is a good pre-quel to the stories in other Batman movies. There is a fairly heavy Eastern religion influence(I wish I had known that going in). The movie is quite loud. Great car sceens! I also liked the bits of engineering for Batman's gear. My main objection is how frightening is is. The guy with the mask looks creepy--way too creepy. The fight sceens seem very real. When the crazy people are released from the asylum I was quite worried about the kids I was with. Older kids ok, but with parental discussion.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAshinthehouse May 30, 2011

must see movie

This is a really good movie almost better than the dark knight the only real issue is viloence i think
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 June 8, 2011

Not as good as the next entry, but it gets pretty close.

My rating: PG-13 for intense violence, some frightening sequences and images, and brief language.
Parent Written bytreat02 August 2, 2012

A great movie, but really has precautions . . .

This movie is very well-done. For someone like me, it wouldn't be quite as bad as it seems. But I will say, it's not very clean on violence. This movie is way more realistic on the violent scenes. *THIS MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS* Peril is throughout the film, but some of it is mild. Near the end, (and it's also in the middle part of the movie as well) the actors spray gas that makes you hallucinate about pretty freaky stuff. Batman does it (sprays the stuff. . . not sure what it's called) to the man who was generating it all. That may make kids upset (like the whole part of spraying it in their faces and making them hallucinate) that Batman would do it as well, also, it could set a bad influence because he is the hero. In another scene (Bruce Wayne/Batman) parents die from a man trying to steal money from them, (he shoots them), which isn't bloody, but it's a tough thing to think about. Kissing is shown. There are also many different scenes of car-races (not really racing, of course) men fighting as well. The Language isn't very bad, (H-word, da-word, a-word) and it doesn't have any intense language. The movie shows children in peril, but they are saved. Characters beaten as well. When you watch the movie, it doesn't seem as bad, trust me. The very good things that are about it is that Bruce Wayne is a hero, and it turns out he "saves the day." Although, there was a lot of destruction. The reasons why he wants to save people are because of what happened to his parents (which affected him). There is some bad things about Bruce, he tried to kill the person who killed his parents, but the man was killed by someone else (gunshot.) I think Ten years old at the least can watch this.
Kid, 11 years old April 6, 2011

A bit violent and scary, mild bad language, 11+

I like this movie I think it's really good but there's lots of violence and a fair amount of scariness. Mild language such as cr-p, d-mn, h-ll, a-s and a--hole. This crazy guy uses a gas that makes people see other people as monsters. Batman is a bad role model and sends bad messages because he uses violence but I think he is also a good role model and sends good messages because he is the good guy and never kills anyone.
Adult Written byPoli April 9, 2008

Entertaining but scary

Batman Begins tells the story of a conflicted young man trying to deal with the idea of evil in the world after the loss of his parents. Because he overcomes his desire for vindictive revenge, Bruce becomes a better role model, but this film is still iffy on issues of social behavior because of the danger of children imitating the violence depicted. This film fits several of the criteria given on the Common Sense media violence checklist for whether media violence is affecting your kids. The effects of the hallucinogenic drugs were terrifying for an adult, I can't imagine a young child dealing with them. I would not recommend this film for children under thirteen, and young or easily scared teenagers would do better watching with an adult.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLadyFlameSinger October 22, 2009

Definitely not a children's movie

While I like this movie, I have to say that it is indeed very violent, with some rather intense martial arts scenes and shootings, and disturbing scenes with one of the villians, Scarecrow. I thought that the movie was well acted and well planned out, though it was a good deal darker and harsher than a lot of other superhero movies.
Kid, 12 years old October 20, 2016

Batman wings it after his heavil critisied movie Batman & Robin

I think Batman Begins is a really good movie, however, it is not as good as The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rise. Content-wise, it is slightly less violent than The Dark Knight Rises. Action Violence: Intense. In the opening scene, Bruce's master Ra Al Ghul challenges him to a blade duel on thin ice. We see them fighting and minutes later, Ra Al Ghul shoves Bruce out of the way and Bruce hangs onto the edge of a cliff. Ra Al Ghul helps him back up. The Scarecrow's gas spreads across a mail room which poisons a group of people. In order to get Rachel, poisoned by the Scarecrow's fear toxin, to the Batcave in time to save her, Batman is forced to elude the cops in an extended chase over and through the city, which requires considerable property damage and disabling several police vehicles. For the first time, I am including spoilers in this review because I do not remember all the content, and definitely few that is not spoilers. Warning, spoilers ahead! Bruce's parents are shot off screen. Bruce's home is set on fire and he is left there to die. However, Bruce jumps out of the window and lands safely onto the ground but is shown with a few cuts on his face. Batman lands into a train which Ra's al Ghul has taken over. Ra's al Ghul and Batman have a prolonged fist fight with no blood or gore but later, Batman escapes from the train and the train falls from a derailed track with Ra's al Ghul still on the train, who closes his eyes as he dies. Spoilers over. Disturbing Images: Many intense and frightening scenes throughout. The Scarecrow's voice sounds extremely menacing and will disturb young children. Thematic Elements: Some. The first 20 minutes may be depressing.
Kid, 11 years old March 30, 2016

First Batman film in the dark night trilogy is adult and dark

The film Batman Begins is an excellent Batman film but it is not for younger children. The film has lots of violence although there is no blood the characters unlike other superhero film aren't invincible so there is a high body count and the deaths are shown onscreen which isn't normally the case in other superhero films. The film is also very dark, it had a lot of really confronting scenes on how Bruce Wayne's parents are murdered in front of him when he was very young which is one scene you will have to talk about with your kids. There is also some extremely scary themes which contain the scarecrow with bats coming out of his mouth and maggots sucking on his rotten flesh. Overall the film is very dark,scary and emotional so I think that you should wait till your kids are 12 to watch this film depending on the maturity of your kid.
Kid, 11 years old March 6, 2009

Nice

Good movie, not as good as the 2nd though.
Adult Written byraab April 9, 2008

Good Stuff

Very much like the original batman movies. Although the acting took a step down, the effects and action took a step up. The new batmobile is great.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

A Brooding and Engaging Re-Start to a Classic Hero!

BATMAN BEGINS sparked fans' imaginations when the trailer was first released. The classic comic book had turned into a string of four movies, the first in 1989. The series, which had started well, had faded into stupid mayhem under Joel Shumacher. But now comic book fans and fans of the original two Batman films get what they want from the crowd and critic pleasing new installment, BATMAN BEGINS, which starts the story anew as if the previous films didn't exist. It does a good job. The cast is spot on, the script pretty good, and the camera shots and editing are slick and make for the fast pace of the movie. The plot, which sometimes pushes the bounds of realism, contains much violence. Director Chris Nolan commented that people had become insensitive to violence and commented: "I wanted to take it (the violence) back to a grittier place, where you feel the punches a bit more.” He suceeds. Action, fighting, and more action. Much less stylized than Spider-man, and more brutal than Fantastic Four, the non-graphic violence is made creepier by the film's dark tone. Minor sex, and mild language like "sh*t" and "a*s". It's a fun film, but maybe not for everybody.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHorace Williams November 24, 2014

D*mn good movie.

I love Batman Begins. It's action packed, fantastic acting, and beautiful graphics. Wonderful job, Batman.
Kid, 11 years old February 17, 2013

A brilliant film but some scenes may scare young children

This film is amazing and I totally recomend you watch it!!! There are some great fight scenes but no over the top bloody violence and a brilliant story line. Although it can be confusing and there are some scenes where people get gassed, which is a bit scary and mild language. But overall the film isn't to bad but if your child gets easily scared then don't let them watch it, but I saw this when I was nine and wasnt scared. 8+
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written bykelldeal October 10, 2009

good for 6 and 7

i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byerica921 August 8, 2015
Kid, 10 years old September 6, 2014

OK

Goood for kids it just has some violence.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMavrah333 August 24, 2014

A great pre-quel for the greatest superhero series of all time.

There is some violence, and I think a smattering of bad language, but other than that this is fine for children of 10 and up. It is a slow start (it takes over an hour for Bruce to become Batman) and there is a dark backstory, but if you can manage LOTR you'll be fine with this. Then only scary part at all was when Scarecrow unleashes a gas (Special effects FTW! :D) but as I said, a fine film for 10 and up. If they make a new trilogy with that police guy as the hero (Robin perhaps?) Scarecrow must come back, he is not only alive at the end of each film in the series, he is never punished either.
Kid, 10 years old September 16, 2013

Bale is the perfect match for the role

Great movie perfect start of the trilogy!
Teen, 15 years old Written byMoviedudde18 September 11, 2012