All member reviews for Battle of the Year

Passable drama has great dancers but no originality.

Parent Written byRuthLange September 24, 2013

Boring but harmless

For me as an adult this movie was incredibly heavy-handed on the cliches, boring and badly made. The kids loved it though. I took a 9-year-old, who's really into break-dancing, and two 11-year-olds. If you don't mind hearing the odd "sh*t" and "*ss" this movie is just fine for that age group. The coach's drinking problem is barely noticeable to kids - it's restricted to him taking the occasional swig out of a nondescript flask when he's home alone. He never acts drunk or rowdy, and is never seen drinking in bars. I honestly think my 9-year-old probably didn't even realize he was supposed to be an alcoholic. The sexual innuendo was very minimal. There is one woman in the movie and she is treated as one of the gang (after a couple of little jokes at the beginning).
Kid, 11 years old September 30, 2013

BOOM

AWEOMSE MOVIE!!!!! I loved it. If you like movies like Honey 2, or any of the step up movies, footloose, etc, this will be an enjoyable movie for you. Some language, but still ok for older tweens and teens.
Teen, 15 years old Written byiPunk September 22, 2013

Unemployed coach becomes world renowned.

Josh Holloway's character before he was the coach was out of a job. Which is not uncommon. Unemployment rates have actually gone up over the past six years. I heard that in 2009 10% of all people were unemployed. While the unemployment rate for people with disabilities is up at 80% in 2012. There is work being done trying to get more people jobs, including those that have disabilities. There is a fight scene at a party.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStevie111 September 30, 2013

Well done, funny hip-hop story just has some bad language, should be fine for 9-10+

Teen, 14 years old Written byironkid21 November 12, 2013

Boring, underwheming, predictable dance drama has good messages and a great supporting performance from Josh Peck but is overall cliche and boring...

The dance movie genre is usually hit r miss. There's ones that can be fun and some that can just be boring and predictable, not in a fun way. Battle of The Year joins the list of boring and predictable, not in a fun way. What could've been a fun idea is turned into a dramatic mess that takes itself way too seriously. Lets just say lots of moments when you think something is gonna be fun, the outcome is something underwhelming. Most of these sequences either end with the team members getting into a fight with each other (not to mention a ridiculous, irritating sub plot involving Chris Brown and some other guy fighting each other constantly) or something disappointing happening (one of the members twisting their leg, a fight breaking out at a party). I know we have to have the team members work out their differences but don't do it to the point where we just want them all to get kicked out of the team and the movie to end! When you do get past all the annoying constant arguing and boring scenes, Battle of the Year does have its heart in the right place. Near the end, the bond Josh Holloway's character creates with the members of the team is pretty heartwarming to watch and the final dance sequence is pretty fun and it's hard not to applaud! It's also hard not to laugh when (spoilers!) Josh Holloway gets face slammed with a big cake at the end of the film. But the thing that saves Battle of the Year the most in my opinion...Josh Peck! His performance as a self aware jewish boy is really fun to watch and is honestly the highlight of the film in most spots! As I said before, Battle of the Year has it's heart in the right place and of course...Josh Peck! But otherwise, it's just a big mediocre argument followed by a happy ending...
Adult Written byjoshua martinez December 16, 2013

13 and up.

this dance drama movie battle of the year is an average movie stars with chris brown this movie is good enough for your older teens and parents battle of the year has some mild violence like fist fights there's some mild language used and some drinking used this movie has a positive message about Teamwork, above all, prevails and check your ego at the door the role model is that although Coach Blake is an alcoholic, he's trying to stop drinking while putting the team together. Almost everyone on the crew is well-intentioned and determined, though some are arrogant and aggressive. They're weeded out pretty quickly.