All member reviews for Battlefield Earth

Worst example of vanity filmmaking in years.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow May 29, 2012

A riveting sci-fi adventure

I have no idea why critics are panning this so much. Not that it's perfect or anything, but it's a thrilling sci-fi popcorn flick. The actors do their best with what they are given; I was thoroughly entertained by John Travolta's intentionally over-the-top performance as Terl, and Barry Pepper was a strong, solid, relatable hero in Jonnie. Kim Coates was supportive and funny as Carlo, and he had some good chemistry with Pepper as his loyal friend. Forest Whitaker was also hilarious as Ker, Terl's right hand man and whipping boy, even if his one-liners got a little excessive around the third act. The action is well choreographed and exciting, with awesome explosions and decent CGI. The costumes and makeup are fantastic, with good leathery suits and grungy, weird dreadlocks for the Psychlos and some nice loincloth robes for the humans. But best of all are the sets, which intrigued me to the fullest extent. They were dark, dank, and depressing, and it's quite sobering to see libraries crumbling to dust, or an old city being used as a Psychlo fortress. Aside from some poorly developed characters and a few absurd plot points, like fighter jets being usable after 1,000 years in storage, I consider this film to be a thoughtful, exciting, and intriguing sci-fi good time that achieves what it's trying to be: a fun comic book movie.
Adult Written bynduns April 11, 2010

There is only one thing preventing this from getting 1 star

And that's the simple fact that it's so bad it's funny. This film irritates me on so many levels. The way they shoot it, for one, is annoying. Everything is shot in an angle. But I could look past that were the story good... it is not. The human characters are just... stupid. In the original Planet of the Apes, they could get away with that because the humans were supposed to be dumb. However, these humans are meant to be smart and they make the dumbest decisions ever. Luckily, the Psychlos are equally dumb and give the humans easy access to their weaponry and firearms. In response to another reviewer, I'd say scifi fans would hate this film the most simply because of how poorly written it is.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Decent scifi movie

This is an OK scifi movie only worth seeing if you LIKE scifi
Teen, 13 years old Written byFathomT July 3, 2015

The worst movie I've ever seen

I rented this movie, thinking, "critics hated some of my favorite movies. This can't possibly be that bad." As it turns out, it could be (and is) that bad. John Travolta can be a good actor, as proven in Pulp Fiction and such, but he earned his Razzies with this God-awful performance. The rest of the cast is equally bad. Which might not be their fault considering the screenplay may be the worst of the decade. The sets are ugly, the camera angles feel repetitive (how many angled shots can one have), and the color is dank and miserable (I am not usually one to note that kind of stuff, which should tell you it's THAT BAD). It's so droll as well. Most of the above could be forgiven if it had thrills or was affecting, but no. There is one reason to watch this, and that is because it is a true accomplishment of sheer awfulness. It's almost like they WANTED it to be terrible. The PG-13 rating is correct as there is violence. However, showing this to a kid would be child abuse. This a true my awful film that will be forever remembered for its pure terribleness.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjb223 August 12, 2013

An Unintentionally Hilarious Schlock

Teen, 15 years old Written byKingdestroyah June 15, 2012

Terrible

This is literally so bad it's funny how someone could actually find it even decent. The characters are idiots, the plot is ridiculous, the acting is bad, but at least the effects were okay. This is (as the nostalgia critic said) stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid crap crap crap crap CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!
Kid, 12 years old November 14, 2010

While you were still learning to spell your name, I was being trained to make terrible movies!

Wow. This had bad acting, Bad models, the whole nine. I am so sorry for those who saw it.
Adult Written bytrojan51 April 9, 2008