All member reviews for Beastly

Lackluster romance is heavy on lessons about superficiality.

Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN April 9, 2011

Cinema take doesn't quite compare to book, but is still entertaining and teaches about real beauty.

Only 2 stars Common Sense? Really? I think this movie deserves more credit from every movie critic out there. It wasn't the best movie in the world, but it wasn't fall-asleep-you're-so-bored bad. I found it very funny and entertaining. The beginning of the movie where Kyle harasses Kendra is where all the language is; as the movie goes on though there's less and less of it. Neil Patrick Harris portrays a sarcastic blind tutor so well, everything that came out of his mouth was hilarious. For instance when talking about "baby steps" he suggests Kyle walk up to Lindy and say "Whassup?" Which earns equally sarcastic comebacks and eye rolls. In the review it says there's several close ups of the main character a.k.a Kyle, a.k.a Alex Pettyfer. They say that like it's a bad thing! I mean have you seen the guy!? He's so gorgeous words can't describe it! Though I will admit his American accent got a little iffy at times, but he is English and you could tell when he slipped up (really cute slip ups I might add!). Kyle may start off as a self-absorbed pretty boy, but after falling in love he learns to see the beauty in others and the true beauty in himself; which is a lesson I think the whole world should learn. Comments? Questions? Concerns? Email me: ogormanscommonsense at yahoo. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byabbs March 20, 2011

Good For Understanding, Mature Teens

Honestly, I liked it.. But what can I say? Its made for people my age. My moms biggest concerns were sexual, language, and role models, oh, and ofcourse, the witch. Im going to address those topics. Sexual? NO. A couple of kisses between movie stars. So, if youre afraid of kissing, dont see the end of this move. language. That IS a bit of an issue. At the dance, Sloane says "a.rose!? .....!?" and Kyle calls Sloane..Role models. OOOHH big one! okay, so as the traditional story goes, Kyle is rude at first. He messes with the witch, and he gets cursed. While he is 'ugly' he is banned in an apartment where nobody can see him because his dad is a self centered jerk the whole movie. Kyle becomes a better person while sharing the company of Lindy, none other than Vanessa Hudgens. But, the movie makes it obvious the good and evil sides of people, specifically Kyle. Okay, the witch. There is a witch in Beauty and the Beast, but she does not play a prominent role. In this movie, although Mary Kate Olsen is an incredibly talented actress, she is a witch. No, it does not offend Chirstianity, but still the fact of witchcraft gets some people excited, with reason. The worst she does is call herself a witch, and say she can do good... that is, if Kyle succeeds. But, there is also a "good witch" in the Wizard of Oz. Just make sure your kids know that there are no good witches and witchcraft does exist, but it is of the devil.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysaralove100 March 26, 2011

This movie i would reccomend for mature kids ages 10 and up. It is a story of seeing a person from the inside not the out. This movie is a wonderful message for 10-14 and i would absolutley reccomend it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byaidanqm1996 March 11, 2011

Great Teenage Flick

The worst sexual content was a few pictures at the beginning and Kyle goes without his shirt for like a third of the movie. Other than that, there's a few kisses. Overall, Beastly was an excellent teenage flick that teaches you to not be full of yourself.
Kid, 11 years old March 9, 2011

What? Only two stars? I'm so dissapointed. I really wanted to watch this movie- not only because how old it's appropriate for, but how many stars it got? Is this movie really worth it?
Kid, 11 years old March 19, 2011

Risk on Beastly

Love it's message. It is perfect for mature kids. You really understand the screenwriter's concept its beautiful! ;)
Parent of a 7, 10, and 12 year old Written bystaceyegan March 7, 2011

I absolutely loved this movie! In my opinion "Common Sense Media" goes overboard about the age to watch this movie. There was nothing in the movie that is disturbing to younger ages including me, and I'm only ten! I defiantly give this movie five stars and if your parents say " You cannot watch this movie because common sense media says you have to be fourteen!", then show them this review!
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 3, 2011

I rate this film ON for ages 12+

The good stuff * Messages: The movie is ultimately saying that beauty isn’t skin deep, and valuing the outside above all else can make your insides ugly. What to watch out for * Role models: Lindy is earnest and caring, but she seems to be the only character who's genuinely kind and gentle -- though Kyle does undergo an emotional and physical transformation that teaches him about what’s most important. * Violence: A man shoots another man off screen and kills him; the body is later seen. Another man threatens another’s child. A high school boy ridicules a classmate repeatedly. * Sex: Tender kisses between the movie's stars; a couple paws each other at a party. Several close-up shots of the main male character shirtless. A few sexual innuendoes. * Language: Words include "s--t," “a*s,” “c**p,” “sl*t,” “sk*nk,” “bulls--t,” "WTF," and “bi*ch.” * Consumerism: Some label-flashing and name-dropping, including Ducati, Forbes, D’Agostino, Duane Reade, Coke, Footlocker, Jujyfruit, and Bulgari. * Drinking, drugs, & smoking: Some underage drinking at a party; drug references.
Teen, 15 years old Written bypeace.luv.az March 12, 2011

Very Typical Teen Chick Flick

I didn't read the book, but I honestly found this kind of boring. I think this is one of those movies that shouldve remained a book. It was great they geared the cast (Vanessa hudgens, marykate olsen, Alex pettyfer) toward teenage girls though without using a bunch of current Disney stars. It's a good romance story and my only concern was that the guy's face after he turns "ugly" might freak some kids out. Honestly i was expecting more. I just found this a little disappointing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byshannLouise June 3, 2011

amazing film.

this film was amazing, i read the book before and it ws also amazing. i highly recommend this film to other viewers and a sort of family film for everyone to enjoy proberly only children over the age of 12. but AMAZING!!
Kid, 11 years old March 15, 2011

perfect for tweens to Adults!

Im 11 and saw it yesterday. It was great!! I really loved it. I think that it wasnt bad attal.
Adult Written byPURPLE-ESQUE March 18, 2011

Sorry, The Beastie Boy Is Luke Warm

Well...I was hoping for more. And by "more" I don't mean more language, sex, or violence -- I'm happy when ALL that stuff is left OUT of a movie. This one kept it down pretty well. But I was disappointed in the dialogue. Nothing very witty or interesting. I didn't even care that much about the characters, and I wanted to. It COULD have been a great little movie with sassier writing, and a few more compelling / vulnerable scenes that made us care more about Kyle. Too bad -- it had potential.
Adult Written byWaterNymph March 12, 2011

FANTASTIC!!! Definitely a new favorite of mine!

This is my new favorite movie!! My boyfriend took me to see it and we really enjoyed it. I found the lack of sex scenes and over-the-top cussing very refreshing. The movie had a great message, and I fell in love with the characters. It's funny, touching, sweet, and though it was a modern twist on the original story there were a lot of little touches that reminded me of the original. I gained a lot of respect for Vanessa Hudgens as an actress, and would recommend this to anyone. I even plan on buying it when it comes out, and I don't say that about a lot of movies these days.
Parent of a 15 and 16 year old Written bydolphin11 March 26, 2011

i thought it was a good movie. better than the twilight series. it was a total "chic flick". but well worth it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytwilightluver7689 March 14, 2011

Very good movie, Loved it:)

Great movie, just like the book.:) The main character is quite cruel and selfish in the beginning, but as the story progresses he begins to see that beauty, while important, isn't everything in life.
Kid, 9 years old March 19, 2011

Mild PG-13

It's a mild PG-13 movie that dosen't have many things inapropiate. The language at the begining of the movie is bad, but over all it produces a good message. I didn't have to cover my eyes at any part. It may seem a little scary when he transforms but it was a good movie!
Kid, 11 years old April 24, 2011

GREAT movie!

I personally saw this movie with my friends and I am eleven. To me this is the best movie I have ever seen. However, I am a very mature eleven year old, and I would reccomend it for maybe a year or two older- because of one violence scene, some kissing and relationship stuff (nothing too serious), and some mild language. But I LOVE this movie and really enoyed it. I hope my information helped!
Teen, 13 years old Written byonyxprincess May 1, 2011

Perfect movie for teens and older tweens, some language

Good role models, and great messages about how beauty isn't everything. There was a bit of language, but most of it was name calling in the beginning (which they say really fast and I didn't catch most of it until the second time) and it dies down after that, being more spread out. Also, Lindy's dad is addicted to drugs and gets into fights. Pretty tame for a teen romance movie if you ask me, none of these things should be a problem for 12 and up, iffy for 11
Adult Written byGerald Filbert March 7, 2011

I think this movie was great and will appeal to young teens.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byVAsher March 2, 2011

Mild PG-13

It was a mild PG-13. A little language and references to bad behavior, including drugs, but this was portrayed as a bad thing (Lindy's father is a druggie, which made her sad). The only really crude comment was, about halfway through, Kyle looks at his page (from before he was a beast) on a Facebook-like network. Under "interests," it lists, "anything bangable." Disgusted with his prior behavior, he deletes the page. I think this would fly over most kids' heads, as it did my daughter's. This movie had good messages about love and the importance of appearance. While neither Kyle nor Lindy's fathers were good role models, they (the kids) both wanted to please them, and the characters of Kyle's mentors, were good role models, who talked to him about how to be a better man.