All member reviews for Beastly

Lackluster romance is heavy on lessons about superficiality.

Teen, 13 years old Written byabbs March 20, 2011

Good For Understanding, Mature Teens

Honestly, I liked it.. But what can I say? Its made for people my age. My moms biggest concerns were sexual, language, and role models, oh, and ofcourse, the witch. Im going to address those topics. Sexual? NO. A couple of kisses between movie stars. So, if youre afraid of kissing, dont see the end of this move. language. That IS a bit of an issue. At the dance, Sloane says "a.rose!? .....!?" and Kyle calls Sloane..Role models. OOOHH big one! okay, so as the traditional story goes, Kyle is rude at first. He messes with the witch, and he gets cursed. While he is 'ugly' he is banned in an apartment where nobody can see him because his dad is a self centered jerk the whole movie. Kyle becomes a better person while sharing the company of Lindy, none other than Vanessa Hudgens. But, the movie makes it obvious the good and evil sides of people, specifically Kyle. Okay, the witch. There is a witch in Beauty and the Beast, but she does not play a prominent role. In this movie, although Mary Kate Olsen is an incredibly talented actress, she is a witch. No, it does not offend Chirstianity, but still the fact of witchcraft gets some people excited, with reason. The worst she does is call herself a witch, and say she can do good... that is, if Kyle succeeds. But, there is also a "good witch" in the Wizard of Oz. Just make sure your kids know that there are no good witches and witchcraft does exist, but it is of the devil.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN April 9, 2011

Cinema take doesn't quite compare to book, but is still entertaining and teaches about real beauty.

Only 2 stars Common Sense? Really? I think this movie deserves more credit from every movie critic out there. It wasn't the best movie in the world, but it wasn't fall-asleep-you're-so-bored bad. I found it very funny and entertaining. The beginning of the movie where Kyle harasses Kendra is where all the language is; as the movie goes on though there's less and less of it. Neil Patrick Harris portrays a sarcastic blind tutor so well, everything that came out of his mouth was hilarious. For instance when talking about "baby steps" he suggests Kyle walk up to Lindy and say "Whassup?" Which earns equally sarcastic comebacks and eye rolls. In the review it says there's several close ups of the main character a.k.a Kyle, a.k.a Alex Pettyfer. They say that like it's a bad thing! I mean have you seen the guy!? He's so gorgeous words can't describe it! Though I will admit his American accent got a little iffy at times, but he is English and you could tell when he slipped up (really cute slip ups I might add!). Kyle may start off as a self-absorbed pretty boy, but after falling in love he learns to see the beauty in others and the true beauty in himself; which is a lesson I think the whole world should learn. Comments? Questions? Concerns? Email me: ogormanscommonsense at yahoo. :)
Teen, 15 years old Written bysaralove100 March 26, 2011

This movie i would reccomend for mature kids ages 10 and up. It is a story of seeing a person from the inside not the out. This movie is a wonderful message for 10-14 and i would absolutley reccomend it.
Kid, 11 years old April 24, 2011

GREAT movie!

I personally saw this movie with my friends and I am eleven. To me this is the best movie I have ever seen. However, I am a very mature eleven year old, and I would reccomend it for maybe a year or two older- because of one violence scene, some kissing and relationship stuff (nothing too serious), and some mild language. But I LOVE this movie and really enoyed it. I hope my information helped!
Teen, 13 years old Written bykatie <3 May 30, 2012

Positively life-changing!

Nothing bad in this movie! although it is too deep to understand for anyone whos under the age of 11.This movie honestly changed my perspective on the world and the people in it. i.love.this.movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byglitter96 November 17, 2011

Great movie!!!

I think that this movie is great . it has a good message and quiet appropreate. THis movie is fun to watch and a great family movie! great!!!! this website over goes on the language it doesnt make it a bad movie cause of some language but if theirs a lot than i can see it but a few is ok just fast forward
Parent Written byKate-Alexandra October 22, 2011

Actor, Alex Pettyfer is definitely, "Delish", "what a very pretty, pretty boy", but, acting ability, not so pretty!

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byMel739 August 1, 2011

Great mother/daughter chick flick

Modern day beauty and the beast. Very cute, with the positive message at the end that looks dont matter when it comes to love.
Kid, 11 years old March 15, 2011

perfect for tweens to Adults!

Im 11 and saw it yesterday. It was great!! I really loved it. I think that it wasnt bad attal.
Adult Written bymaddygmoo March 7, 2011

this. movie. was. so. good!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 6, 2011

i think this movie rocks even though it has vanessa hudgens in it! i love this movie!!!!
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byVAsher March 2, 2011

Mild PG-13

It was a mild PG-13. A little language and references to bad behavior, including drugs, but this was portrayed as a bad thing (Lindy's father is a druggie, which made her sad). The only really crude comment was, about halfway through, Kyle looks at his page (from before he was a beast) on a Facebook-like network. Under "interests," it lists, "anything bangable." Disgusted with his prior behavior, he deletes the page. I think this would fly over most kids' heads, as it did my daughter's. This movie had good messages about love and the importance of appearance. While neither Kyle nor Lindy's fathers were good role models, they (the kids) both wanted to please them, and the characters of Kyle's mentors, were good role models, who talked to him about how to be a better man.
Kid, 11 years old October 9, 2014

It Was Ok

It was ok . I couldn't say that it was the best movie I had ever seen and there was no need for all the swearing
Written byAnonymous March 22, 2014

Disappointed

If you want anything to do with Beastly, read the book! I loved the book, but was really disappointed by the movie. They didn't have the same endings!
Adult Written bywonder dove March 30, 2013

Cute teeny-bopper fantasy flick!

I already knew this was going be a cheesy made-for-TV chick flick by viewing the trailer but I still wanted to see it. It wasn't that bad for a teen fantasy story about love and acceptance, but it still felt corny to watch as a young adult. Yes, I do think most tweens and some teens would like this. Mary-Kate's character was just too laughable. Vanessa Hudgen's character felt weak and Alex Pettyfer's monstrous character was probably the most realistic. I did however, like the messages throughout about what you put out there will come back at you, loving and accepting yourself and those around you. Treating others how you would like to be treated...etc. so I scored it 3 stars! Would I recommend it to teens? Absolutely. Violence includes an off-screen shooting which kills a man. Lots of arguments. Some bullying at a school. Sexual content has a guy seen shirtless a few times, some innocent kissing by couples and flirting. Language consists of some common curse words but I do not recall any "f" words used. A scene at a party with underage drinking (nothing wild). Also a reference to witchcraft used for good/learning purposes. Okay for 13 and up!!
Adult Written byjoshua martinez November 21, 2012

14 and up.

this science fiction love romance movie stars with Vanessa Hudgens beastly is an average science fiction romance movie that talks about love good for your older teens and parents the only concerns that you need to know is that beastly has some few sexual innuendos there's also some mild language used and some underage drinking used.
Kid, 12 years old June 12, 2012

Beastly

This movie is a good example of how beauty isnt everything. It doesnt make you better if you're popular or not. The main character Kyle is the most popular kid in school, he has the looks, he's rich and has everything a teenager could want. A witch that goes to his school puts a curse on him. He is a hidious, tattooded, bald creature and has one year to find a girl to love him. When the year is up, if a girl has not said " I love you" then he will remain that way forever. The movie is like a version of beauty and the beast except for a more mature adience. He has to find someone quick, and thinks of this girl he has known for a long time named Lindy who doesnt care about looks or if your popular. He watched her every night and see's that she is in danger from a guy who wants to kill her and her father because her father ows him money but is unable to pay the money because they are broke. He makes her live at his house without Lindy knowing who he really is. When he gets confident enough he lets Lindy see him, and she doesnt recognize him. They become friends but that isnt enought. Will Lindy say " I love you?" or will he stay that way forever?
Teen, 16 years old Written byyouguess? March 6, 2012

It's not that bad.

Ok yeah, the actors in it arent great but there was no sexual content, no drugs, and only a few words im sure everyone has heard. The story line was good but the actors werent fit for the movie. It has a good message that everyone should learn.
Teen, 17 years old Written byallie13 February 7, 2012

true love matters

i think true love only matters from whats inside of the heart :)
Parent Written byhonee841 January 27, 2012

READ THE BOOK LAZY WICTHEZZZZZZZ

if you read that BOOK instead of getting a stupid 2 hour cheep movie. you will be happier that you picked the book instead of the movie. there was A LOT of differences between them. Like the mirror in the book was brilliance and the dress in the 5th floor was AMAZING!!! the decorator did a a horrible job. READ THE BOOK PLEASE!!!!!