All member reviews for Beauty and the Beast

The ultimate makeover story has strong, positive messages.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byKaraLeaP December 29, 2009

Terrible message to send to our girls

This movie sends a terrible message to our girls. All too often we see women isolated from loved ones by their abusers, thinking if they can just love him enough, he will change into a prince. This movie encourages those incorrect beliefs. The Beast isolates and abuses Belle, but when she learns to love him, he changes into a prince. Makes me sick to think my little girl could buy into this. I gave it two stars though, because the music is fantastic, and the movie is well done. Belle was a great role model up until she succumbed to Stockholm syndrom.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymusic4life92 October 13, 2010
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoseStuckInABook April 14, 2010

A Masterpiece

Beauty and the Beast is my all the time favorite Disney movie (which is saying something, as I love them all so much!) and I made an account here just to defend it. First of all, Belle doesn't start loving Beast (or Prince Adam, whichever you prefer) until he stops treating her badly. Unlike some of the other Royal Disney couples, I believe Belle and Beast truly love each other, rather than the lust at first sight couples such as Snow White and her Prince and Cinderella and Charming have. If she was going to fall for that, she would have gone for Gaston. Belle is a great role model. She stands out, doesn't care what others think (great to have a kid appericting that trait young for once they get to middle school or high school), and she's not shallow. The animation is great, the music is great, it's simply...a masterpiece
Teen, 15 years old Written byEmmaLu April 15, 2011

It is a great movie. I am a huge Disney movie lover! It will probable be scary for younger kids though.
Kid, 11 years old April 16, 2010

Nice orginal class disney movie

Beauty and the Beast is a orginal classic disney has made. It's probably my favorite disney film besides Sleeping Beauty. However, young kids might be scared on the beast in the beginning when he's always in such a bad temper. I give this movie 10 out of 10!
Teen, 13 years old Written bytangled August 24, 2010

One of my most favourite movies of all time

Its sorta odd for a 13 year old to say this, but I adore this movie. The character of Belle is an excellent role model and the beast changes from a shallow man to a kind prince. WAY better than other disney movies I found some what annoying such as Aladdin and The Little Mermaid. Gaston is the best disney villain XD.
Kid, 9 years old October 10, 2010

It's one of my favorites

I think it is a very good movie, but I vast-forward through some parts. The parts aren't scary but they are not the fun.
Adult Written bytwistofcain August 20, 2009

love it even my nice who is 3 loved it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byleftbehindcrazed8 January 9, 2011

LOOOOOOVE IT!!

AWESOME MOVIE!!!!! This is one of the best Disney movies of all time. The story line is great, as are the messages and role models of the movie. Belle sees through the Beat's looks and looks at the warmth in his heart, and the Beast starts caring for Belle. There's minor scariness, because when little kids see him at first they will be frightened when he is very mean to Belle. Gaston and his "people" come to the castle to kill the Beast, and G. eventually falls off the balcony, after he stabs Beast with a knife. EVERYONE 6+!!!!!!!!! :D
Kid, 10 years old March 20, 2011

for any kind of age

best disney movie belle best disney princess
Kid, 11 years old December 21, 2010

Not bad for an old film.

I love this movie sooooo much.The music was made very good.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCopper20 April 9, 2008

Scared me for a very short time

Great movie, but it's kinda freaky for a 4 year old.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 July 10, 2010

Good Disney movie

This is an entertaing film. Although it's probably not up there with Mulan and The Little Mermaid for me, it's still quite good. The violence is a bit intense, and there's some stabbing and the Beast has angry outburst. His appearance may scare some kids, too. There's also a scene where Belle is attacked by wolves and the beast saves her, but he is severely injured. Some coldhearted villagers lead a raid against the beast and try to kill him. As for sex, there's the usual "true love's first kiss" and Gaston (the villain) flirts with Belle. Also, in one scene, Luminor is flirting with a maid and they're giggling behind a curtain, but it wasn't sex (they were inanimate objects). I think this this movie has better messages than most of these Disney films; don't judge a book by its cover. Beast starts being nicer and Belle is a strong, female role model because she is brave and doesn't judge people by their appearance.
Kid, 9 years old March 12, 2011

perfect

love this movie
Adult Written byconcernedparent April 9, 2008

Be careful..

To most this looks like an innocent movie. It is not that simple. The message my little girl gets is that Belle can fix the angry beast. Well, I work with victims of sexual assault and domestic violence and for me.. that theme is a bit over the top. The movie does have good points, and yes not judging a book by its cover is one of them. Please, just watch it with your children. There are many scenes that Belle is abused verbally, but it is disguised as "oh, poor Beast". No. Also the candle "flirts" with the broomstick as she's saying "no", good message? I think not. I do like the movie, but I do hope that parents are watching it with children to explain further more than simply applauding Belle, tell them it also would have been fine for Belle to leave the beast when he was unkind. She did not have to stay and "fix" him. Just please, do not take this as me hating the movie or being over-sensitive, but I see women like Belle fixing their Beasts daily and it is almost horrifying to see a movie centered around a popular heroine for young girls doing the same thing. Thanks and again.. I like the movie and some of its many messages, but again I can't stress enough to watch this WITH your children.
Teen, 13 years old Written by4kidshater June 5, 2010

This is the best disney movie ever. It is probally the best movie ever. I like this movie, but don't get the special edition because of the changes. This is sorrowful movie. I like it. I highly recommeded it
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 14, 2011

belle is my second fave disneyy princesss.and this is one of my fave disney movies. i love it.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bymegangutierrez January 16, 2011

i love it
Parent of a 5 year old Written byCate123 March 23, 2011

Fine movie but not perfect in messages

As KaraLea said the messages are far from perfect for young girls i Can't help but notice how it portrays a young woman despite being locked away and isolated as well as yelled and mistreated still ignores how the beast treats her and seems willing to go through all of this just to win his heart - not a good message for any young girl. However i did like that main character was headstrong and a bookworm and was not afraid to speak her mind.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 May 29, 2011

Tale as Old As Time

Belle is an excelent role model, because she sacrifices her freedom for her father's. She also sees that the Beast wasn't nearly as bad as he seemed. The songs are memorable, characters except the miserable villian Gaston are endearing, and the story is classic. To those of you who accuse our beloved Belle of Stockholm Syndrome, I must disagree, because she actually wasn't as much of a prisoner as she seemed. She chose to stay there for her father. Some drinking in a bar scene, but Gaston metions nothing helps implying that beer is the way to solve your problems. This probably was intended though.