All member reviews for Beauty and the Beast

The ultimate makeover story has strong, positive messages.

Adult Written byraquelp1234 November 6, 2011

Watch this

Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviegeek April 9, 2008

LOVE IT EVEN NOW!

Every time I go through all of my old Disney VHS tapes, I ALWAYS watch Beauty and the Beast. Even at 15, I love it. It has great tunes that little kids will obviously be singing for days afterwards because they're just that catchy. And Lumiere and that clock guy are hilarious, especially to a little kid.
Kid, 11 years old June 12, 2011

Adorable of course!

This movie is very cute. It is a Disney classic and it is certainly one of the best! Belle has always been my favorite princess!
Teen, 15 years old Written byquintonium August 6, 2011

"BEAUTIFUL"

I think this movie is perfect! The music is beautiful, the plot is great, the characters are very well voiced, and the message is as valuable as can be. The movie is not about domestic violence issues, and shouldn't come off to people as that. The movie is simply about an intelligent young woman who offers her freedom to a prince under an enchantment in return for her father's life, and manages to find love in the Beast and break his gruesome spell by seeing beneath his hairy exterior. Simple as that. The message is "True beauty comes from within". It's brilliant! And so what if there's a little bit of violence and sexual behavior? Can you think of a GOOD movie that DOESN'T have these to aspects?
Adult Written bybranagh April 9, 2008

Great Family Movie. I Cried Dureing The Sad Bit & Sang During The Songs.

This film is a classic that every family should watch. I saw this movie when it first came out in theaters and loved it (saw it again when it was released in IMAX and experienced the same joy I did when I saw it the first time). Terrific fun. The messages are positive and appropriate for all ages. The violence is minimal and non-graphic (I wouldn't recommend it to kids under two years of age, as they may find it scary). The heroine, Belle, is my favorite movie heroine of all time. I love the special features on the Special Platinum Edition DVD, which include two trailers, a making-of documentary, original music videos and more. It's a castle full of treasure. The film's main message, "Beauty is found within," still resonates with me and it is a universal truth. Rated G.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGeodeGem March 17, 2010

All beauty and no Beast

I LOVED this movie, sweet, touching, funny, magical, interesting, creative, everything good! They need to show this movie on Disney channel, instead of Hatching Pete, I watched this movie a lot when I was little and I loved it everytime I watched it.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 25, 2009

a little much for a five year old.

this movie is great but Geston FLIRTS way to much with Bell and tries to fource her into marriing him. and the beast get angry A LOT. and there are a lot of intence sences. A little bit much for SOME 5 year olds to be seing.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion December 22, 2008

A Stunningly Beautiful Film!

This is an A+ movie. The music, characters, and story are all brilliant. The voice talents are perfect, and the animation is spectacular. I really can't lavish enough praise on this film. The Prince had no love in his heart. For this, the Enchantress turned him into a beast. He has until the last petal drops from an enchanted rose to give and receive love, or he will remain a beast forever. Later, a beauty named Belle enters the bitter Beast's castle looking for her father, who Beast is holding captive. She exchanges her life as a prisoner for her father's, but soon, she begins to change the Beast and they fall in love. Simple premise, right? Yet it couldn't have been executed more perfectly. This is a great movie for families. Kids will love the castle servants, turned into household objects, and adults will appreciate the subtle humor between Jerry Orbach as Lumiere the candlestick and David Ogden Steirs as Cogsworth the clock. The message is moving, the songs catchy and fun. There’s no objectionable content at all. Perfect movie for families. The only animated film to be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar. It deserved to win.
Parent Written bySarah W. January 14, 2012

Offensive and Outdated

The movie is about a woman who falls in love with her captor, who threatens her physically when she doesn't follow his orders. Really? "Positive Messages"??? Is this 2012 or 1912? Try some critical thinking before you review childrens' films.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysusieboo July 14, 2011

My favorite Disney princess

Belle is smart, kind, brave, beautiful, and, best of all, won't take Beast's crap. The Beast, in turn, learns to become a better person. The fight scene between the Beast and the villain at the end is a bit scary for younger kids. Lumiere and one of the maids flirt a lot, but nothing too extreme.
Adult Written byKGav April 9, 2008

Decent story, but may scare younger children

I recently let my four year old daughter watch this movie. We'd read the story many times, so she was familiar with it and anxious to see the film. That said, the early scenes when the beast is angry and yells scared her a bit. I had to reassure her that the beast was really a good guy and he just needed to work on his temper. Once we got through that part, she was fine and thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the film. She giggled outloud at the enchanted objects, especially Mrs. Potts and Chip the teacup. And she really liked and connected with the "beauty is inside" message. She was unfazed by the violent fight Gaston and the Beast have on the rooftop, but some younger children may find it unsettling. I'd recommend this film overall, but if your child under 4, I strongly suggest watching it with them to reassure them if the opening or closing scenes scare them.
Adult Written byLaurieM January 18, 2012

Stop sending messages that abuse of women is Ok!

I agree with other reviewer that it teaches women to accept spousal abuse as normal. He kidnaps her, locks her in a cell, makes her trade sexual favors (she must dress up and have dinner with him looking cute) in order to receive food) abuses her father and she falls in love with him. Movie would never have been made with the genders reversed IE- a woman doing that to a man and he falls in love with her. The original beauty and the beast by Cocteau is much better, the horror I find in the sanctioning of abuse and a woman loving it as per the Disney movie (Stockholm syndrome) is a moot point in the Cocteau film when the beast in so obviously a gay character in real life. This puts the movie on a different level, one of more pure fantasy and much more dreamlike. There really is no question that this could ever be a real relationship in the Cocteau film.
Kid, 10 years old October 31, 2010

Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written byadivine April 9, 2008

Educator and Parent of an infant year old Written byFosterFan December 21, 2011

Belle, misunderstood feminist icon

Belle is the best Disney Princess ever. She READS, she's kind, smart, doesn't give in to peer pressure and doesn't wait for her prince to rescue her. Instead, she sacrifices herself for her father, and she actually gets to know the man she loves before marrying him. Some people say Belle is a bad role model for girls, because she teaches them that, by staying by the side of the man she loves, he will change. But they both just met halfway, because Beast had to improve in order for Belle to love him. So, no, I don't think Belle's a bad role model, in fact I think she's one of the great feminist icons Disney has ever created.
Adult Written byTinyToya August 11, 2011

A Real Beauty

I have watched this a couple times over the past few days and I really like it. Songs like "Beauty and the Beast" and "Be Our Guest" just enchant me. The fact that Belle is kidnapped makes the fact that she learns to love the Beast a little less golden. (What else could the poor girl do?) The message is good that Belle sees beauty in the Beast, but the message can be a bit confusing to young impressionable girls. Do not let a man abuse you just because you think you can change him. Belle's case is a rather extreme example of this under very different circumstances, yes? Anyhow this movie is still very good. (P.S. Watch out for Lumiere. He gets a little fresh!)
Educator Written byPanzerMark January 25, 2012

Shameful

I am dissapointed that they decided to re-show this movie to the public. They're just making money off making old movies 3D. Recycling might work for the environment, but not for movies. It does have some pretty bad messages though.
Adult Written bygrizmaster1981 December 13, 2011

A couple scenes of the beast makes this film iffy for the little ones

The fact that the beast scared me a couple times when I was a child makes this film iffy for little kids. The beast has violent outbursts and also how gaston treats belle making him a bad role model for boys learning how to treat women.
Adult Written byAndyMeatball January 14, 2012

Amazing on the big screen.

I'm 18, so I never got a chance to see this when it originally came out in theaters. I've owned this movie my whole life and seen it about a million times - I practically know it by heart - but seeing it on the big screen was just enthralling! I made my parents go with me and they really enjoyed it too. I noticed things I never saw before. The details really pop out in 3D and the art is just as beautiful as ever. There were mostly adults in the theater, but there were a couple of kids about 6 or 7 years old sitting by me who thoroughly enjoyed this too. I'm so glad that I - and a whole younger generation of kids - are finally getting to see this on the big screen! As far as the messages go, such as the whole Stockholm-syndrome-girl-being-mistreated thing, I have to say that I never noticed or was affected by that at all when I was a kid. I wanted to be like Belle in the sense that I wanted to read and sing and wear blue like she did, but never once did I think that falling in love with some jerk and changing him was a good idea because I saw Belle do it. I definitely did not put as much stock in the storyline as a kid as adults would. One more thing about that - around the time that I was a tween/teenager, I noticed that the Beast pretty much acts like a spoiled teenage boy. In the movie, he's about 11 years old when he turns into the beast (since it's been ten years according to Lumiere, and the rose blooms until his 21st birthday at the end of the film), and since he apparently doesn't have any parents, he's just free to be as selfish as he pleases. Viewing the Beast in that light helped me to really appreciate him more as a character, and it would probably be a good conversation point between parents and kids. Anyway, I've always loved this movie, and I definitely think that it's worth going out to see it in 3D!
Teen, 13 years old Written byhellokittycaroline March 28, 2012

A Tale as Old as Time

I have absoulutly loved this movie since I was a little girl. It is my all time favorite movie. Belle is such a great role model, she's beautiful, kind, brave, funny, very smart, and encourages kids to read. She doesn't judge love on apperences. i am so excited to be playing Belle in my schools production of beauty and the beast! Anyways this is a classic film. This is a two time Academy Award Winning movie. The Broadway play is a Tony award winning musical. The musical is spectacular as well. I love this movie so much. I am the world's biggest Belle fan!