All member reviews for Beauty and the Beast

The ultimate makeover story has strong, positive messages.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysusieboo July 14, 2011

My favorite Disney princess

Belle is smart, kind, brave, beautiful, and, best of all, won't take Beast's crap. The Beast, in turn, learns to become a better person. The fight scene between the Beast and the villain at the end is a bit scary for younger kids. Lumiere and one of the maids flirt a lot, but nothing too extreme.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 25, 2009

a little much for a five year old.

this movie is great but Geston FLIRTS way to much with Bell and tries to fource her into marriing him. and the beast get angry A LOT. and there are a lot of intence sences. A little bit much for SOME 5 year olds to be seing.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviegeek April 9, 2008

LOVE IT EVEN NOW!

Every time I go through all of my old Disney VHS tapes, I ALWAYS watch Beauty and the Beast. Even at 15, I love it. It has great tunes that little kids will obviously be singing for days afterwards because they're just that catchy. And Lumiere and that clock guy are hilarious, especially to a little kid.
Adult Written byLowe's man March 24, 2016

slightly parallells real life

While I might have reservations about letting preschoolers watch this because of some scary scenes, it's a great movie for kids who are past the age where they'd be scared by such things. Belle thinks that she can change Beast, and she only stays with him because he does change. Both change, which is exactly the way any successful romantic relationship- or any successful relationship- works. Belle sensed- correctly, as it turned out- that all Beast needed was love. That's the way it is for some children- and adults- in real life. She knew that he was different inside than he was outside. A great way to introduce this concept to young school-age children.
Parent Written byemmastanley July 28, 2015

Bad and violent'...

This is terrible this has scary violent scenes very stupid and dumb if i rated this definatly 0/5!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old August 21, 2013

Fab film!

Great film! Bad things: mob scene is scary, as is Gaston and the Beast's fight. Depends on your child, but my little sister ( now six, then five ), was fine. If they're more sensitive, they can just cover their eyes or go out the room for the scariest bits. Good things: songs are amazing, characters interesting and fun, message great, one of the best disney films ever!
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

A True Enchanted Disney Rose

One of the best films in the animated Disney canon. Belle broke the traditional princess mold and is a great role model for kids, particularly girls. She's intelligent, kind, and discerning enough to see beyond people's exteriors to their hearts (though the Beast does repulse her at first; we'll get to that in a minute). Her great relationship with her father is also one kids and parents would do well to observe and take to heart. As for the Beast, he provides great discussion fodder about how someone can change for the better, and how we can help people in our lives do that, even if they don't seem likeable. Gaston, for his part, is definitely a villain, but he provides cautionary messages about pride, ego, and shallow-minded thinking. The youngest kids will probably be frightened by a mob scene, as well as the Beast's early frequent roaring. As one reviewer noted, Gaston's villain song takes place in a bar, with the Disney-fied version of the beer and cleavage that entails (younger kids may notice and may not). One other caveat involves the administrator of the insane asylum; his very appearance, let alone his motives, are frightening, and kids may need reassurance he won't harm Maurice or Belle. Otherwise, this enchanted castle is a great place to let the whole family visit.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLu Bu December 10, 2012

Its sad how popular this crap is

This is not funny, i'll tell you what's funny, the fact that this crap exists, it does not even bother to try, it does not even have anything entertaining, this piece of crap is not even bothering to keep my eyes on, this is just revolting, these idiots just sit there and sing, and my dog is named Belle which is named after that stupid girl. This movie is just .....WHY?! I hate musicals so much, Disney, word of advice, stick to your pixar movies and not your stupid piece of crap musicals.
Kid, 12 years old August 17, 2012

Beauty And The Beast

This film sends out a great message that it's your inner beauty that matters.
Educator Written byPanzerMark January 25, 2012

Shameful

I am dissapointed that they decided to re-show this movie to the public. They're just making money off making old movies 3D. Recycling might work for the environment, but not for movies. It does have some pretty bad messages though.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviefan115 January 23, 2012

One of the best Disney films ever

This movie is great for everyone! It's got entertaining songs, impressive visuals, and characters that not only show positive messages, but they are lovable. My two only complaints are that it might be scary for younger viewers, and Beauty and the Beast should have won Best Picture! This truly is a great film. :)
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byForPetesSake January 22, 2012

My 4 year old spent the whole movie on my lap

My about to be 5 year old son was very frightened by this movie. I think he could have coped with the beast's scariness but there were so many other frightening things - mean Gaston, the terrifying wolves - that he got very little opportunity to relax and enjoy the film. It is undoubtedly beautifully done but is not suitable for sensitive kids. My 9 year old enjoyed it without problems.
Kid, 12 years old December 8, 2011

For OLDER KIDS!

I think it was a just fine movie, but it can be a little scary for yougner kids, a little to much violance, and it gives out the wrong messages. Just remamber, A magnificent movie, for old enough kids. Like my age, i am 12 going on 13. and it is still a little scary for me, but i am just a wimp!
Kid, 9 years old March 12, 2011

perfect

love this movie
Kid, 9 years old October 10, 2010

It's one of my favorites

I think it is a very good movie, but I vast-forward through some parts. The parts aren't scary but they are not the fun.
Adult Written bybranagh April 9, 2008

Great Family Movie. I Cried Dureing The Sad Bit & Sang During The Songs.

This film is a classic that every family should watch. I saw this movie when it first came out in theaters and loved it (saw it again when it was released in IMAX and experienced the same joy I did when I saw it the first time). Terrific fun. The messages are positive and appropriate for all ages. The violence is minimal and non-graphic (I wouldn't recommend it to kids under two years of age, as they may find it scary). The heroine, Belle, is my favorite movie heroine of all time. I love the special features on the Special Platinum Edition DVD, which include two trailers, a making-of documentary, original music videos and more. It's a castle full of treasure. The film's main message, "Beauty is found within," still resonates with me and it is a universal truth. Rated G.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCopper20 April 9, 2008

Scared me for a very short time

Great movie, but it's kinda freaky for a 4 year old.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPoppy.bath June 17, 2016

love this movie but questionable message??

so, ok, don't get me wrong I love this movie! but let me just say, What kind of boyfriend holds his crush hostage, in hopes that she'll fall in love with him?? ummm..... odd... to say the least, he also treats her awfully, almost killing her father and verbally abusing her! what is up with that?? anyone younger than 10 will probably just see this as "Oh, beauty and the beast yay!" but I only reckon that the full meaning, will only be gotten by ages 12 up. Also my little feminist mind is raging over this, her name, is Belle, we get that, but is the movie called "belle and the beast"? No, no it is not, he falls for her on like, her third day in the castle, for her intellectual mind? No, he hardly talked to her, for her sweet nature? No, he was always to mad to see that, for her amazing figure and pretty face? Yes, yes he did, only letting her eat if she dressed up all pretty and joined him for dinner, he screams at her face but what does she do? Fall in love with him of course!! classic but mixed message.
Educator and Parent Written bymomeroo June 10, 2016

Dangerous, terrible message

I'm horrified that commonsensemedia claims this movie has "strong, positive messages." The exact opposite is true! The story: a woman is with a man who is violent and scary, but she should put it with it because her love can reform him and really he's nice underneath it all. Oh, and in the meantime, she can enjoy her wonderful dishes! This is like a propaganda film for domestic violence. (Plus, it implies that ugliness= bad character.) I wouldn't watch until your kid is old enough to have a conversation about how horrible the message is.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMissconcerned February 27, 2016

B&B

It's like any other amazing Disney movie in my opinion (Sleeping Beauty and Frozen aren't amazing in my opinion- I only like Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty). However the villain isn't what I call evil, more annoying than evil actually.