All member reviews for Beauty and the Beast

The ultimate makeover story has strong, positive messages.

Kid, 12 years old December 8, 2011

For OLDER KIDS!

I think it was a just fine movie, but it can be a little scary for yougner kids, a little to much violance, and it gives out the wrong messages. Just remamber, A magnificent movie, for old enough kids. Like my age, i am 12 going on 13. and it is still a little scary for me, but i am just a wimp!
Kid, 9 years old March 12, 2011

perfect

love this movie
Kid, 9 years old October 10, 2010

It's one of my favorites

I think it is a very good movie, but I vast-forward through some parts. The parts aren't scary but they are not the fun.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 25, 2009

a little much for a five year old.

this movie is great but Geston FLIRTS way to much with Bell and tries to fource her into marriing him. and the beast get angry A LOT. and there are a lot of intence sences. A little bit much for SOME 5 year olds to be seing.
Adult Written bytwistofcain August 20, 2009

love it even my nice who is 3 loved it.
Adult Written bybranagh April 9, 2008

Great Family Movie. I Cried Dureing The Sad Bit & Sang During The Songs.

This film is a classic that every family should watch. I saw this movie when it first came out in theaters and loved it (saw it again when it was released in IMAX and experienced the same joy I did when I saw it the first time). Terrific fun. The messages are positive and appropriate for all ages. The violence is minimal and non-graphic (I wouldn't recommend it to kids under two years of age, as they may find it scary). The heroine, Belle, is my favorite movie heroine of all time. I love the special features on the Special Platinum Edition DVD, which include two trailers, a making-of documentary, original music videos and more. It's a castle full of treasure. The film's main message, "Beauty is found within," still resonates with me and it is a universal truth. Rated G.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviegeek April 9, 2008

LOVE IT EVEN NOW!

Every time I go through all of my old Disney VHS tapes, I ALWAYS watch Beauty and the Beast. Even at 15, I love it. It has great tunes that little kids will obviously be singing for days afterwards because they're just that catchy. And Lumiere and that clock guy are hilarious, especially to a little kid.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCopper20 April 9, 2008

Scared me for a very short time

Great movie, but it's kinda freaky for a 4 year old.
Kid, 11 years old February 28, 2015

My Favorite Princess Movie!

Great messages, no boring scenes, interesting. Some scary parts! The beast is SUPER scary at points. Boys should see at about 5-years-old. Girls: 6-years-old. Don't see with sensitive children till 7 or 8-years-old. (I saw it a 5 and I loved it. My brother got nightmares.)
Adult Written bybobbbbbbbbbbbbbb February 20, 2015

this guy/girl is stupid ! KaraLeaP !

sucks dont watch it ! gay !
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T January 6, 2015

A fun movie with some violence.

This movie is fun to watch, but it has a somewhat dark climax. Belle is in love with the Beast (which almost everyone knows) and her crush leads a mob to murder him. The resulting battle is quite intense. Yet there are very positive messages, like the fact that it's never too late to repent and that "beauty is found within." Personally I thought the creepiest character was not the Beast, but Monsieur D'Arque. He is extremely sadistic and wretched, and his face always seems to be glowing green. Yet you only see him in two scenes.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHorace Williams December 1, 2014

Amazing Disney classic.

Beauty and The Beast is a masterpiece. The animation and acting are just plain epic. Also, I loved watching it as a kid, I still have the VHS.
Teen, 13 years old Written byanimateddisneyfan November 18, 2014

one of my favs!

I love this movie! It has a really good story and all the characters are great such as Belle she doesn't want to marry Gaston because all he wants to marry her for is her beauty and none of her other good qualities. And I would TOTALLY recommend this movie! But there are scenes where the beast has some very loud outburst that may scare younger kids but other than that it is one of my FAVORITE animated Disney movies! :)
Adult Written byhelsingmusique November 9, 2014

Take it with a Grain of Salt

If you go digging in ANY disney movie there are going to be severe issues with messages they are trying to portray to children, however one movie is not going to affect how your children see the world. Nature vs nurture debate, which is important because sometimes disney likes to have odd messages, it is important to remember that if you raise your children correctly, any relatively odd messages will not hurt them. Beauty and the Beast (originally called Belle et la Bete) is a fairytale writing in 1771 which is actually very interesting to look up, however this is what disney based this movie off of therefore some of the themes are INCREDIBLY outdated. Also it is disney who likes to convince us that most women are evil so take it for what it is. As a kid's movie it is difficult to debate when we are reading too deep into things, some people have issues with the relationship between Belle and the Beast saying it is abusive, I think this is the point where people are reading too much into it, if this is the only movie your child watches, this could potentially be a serious problem, but I'm gathering your child is watching more movies than this, I do not think it is an issue we need to really freak out about. I mean Twilight has a much more horrifying message to children and few people ever freak out about that. But I'd also like to point out that this movie does have some good to it as well, I mean Gaston is the villain in the movie and he is trying to kill the beast for no justifiable reason other than he's the beast, and also when the beast is kind it also shows you cannot judge someone by how they look, they made him violent and aggressive I personally believe to showcase his frustration with what has befallen him and his human emotions, not to showcase an abusive relationship. That is solely personal opinion there, due to the fact that if you try and think in someone else's shoes, you can sometimes see such fascinating things. It's based on your personal opinions of the movie, but it will not damage your child if they see this movie.
Parent Written byshadesofhappy November 7, 2014

Good movie, BUT there are quite a few scary scenes and some disturbing adult content.

Good movie (for older kids) with lots of good songs, but could be quite disturbing for young children. My kids (3 and 5) both had nightmares for about a week after watching this. The scene with Gaston singing about Belle in the pub is extremely violent (and disturbing) with Gaston beating up on his so called "friend" over and over. There are also many intense scenes where the Beast appears angry and quite scary. The closing scene is also quite dramatic and shows the Beast being stabbed with Gaston's knife (blood and all) which is scary and disturbing (and quite frankly, has no place in a movie for young kids IMO). I would not have let the kids watch this movie if I knew about this beforehand.
Kid, 10 years old November 1, 2014

i know it's a good movie but...

your company spoils important parts even though parents need to know. SPOILER ALERT! THERE WAS NO NEED TO SAY the part where you said a person dies. anyone can handle this! parents DO NOT need to know about that in your video review.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTara13 July 3, 2014

Probably my favorite disney princess movie!!

Beauty and the Beast has been one of my favorite since i was a child! Wonderful story, music, and love! Many girls would love this film! Much better and not as scary as Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty, or The Little Mermaid. Just beautiful! Gaston gets a little violent at the end, (trying to kill the Beast), this may scare younger kids under 6 so you may not want to then to see it quite yet, but great for 8+
Teen, 16 years old Written bySunburst99 May 24, 2014

Great movie

This is a really good movie. Belle is a good role model. She's bright and intelligent. Over all she's a very likable character. The Beast is a very well done character. His character development is very well done for the most part. The animation is also very well done. However, the Beast's design might be a little scary for really young children. The message that beauty is found within is a important one. If you're looking for a good family movie I suggest this one.
Kid, 7 years old February 1, 2014

Ups and downs of Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast is a great movie. However, there are a few intense scenes. For example, the main characters get attacked by vicious wolves. And, it was a bit scary when Gaston (a knife-wielding man) falls into a canyon and meets his death. And I hope that other children will enjoy this film as much as I did.
Kid, 11 years old November 29, 2013

she is my role model

bell is my favorite princess I love her she is a perfect role model and has a lesson and I love beast better than prince its perfect for young kids