All member reviews for Beauty and the Beast

The ultimate makeover story has strong, positive messages.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLu Bu December 10, 2012

Its sad how popular this crap is

This is not funny, i'll tell you what's funny, the fact that this crap exists, it does not even bother to try, it does not even have anything entertaining, this piece of crap is not even bothering to keep my eyes on, this is just revolting, these idiots just sit there and sing, and my dog is named Belle which is named after that stupid girl. This movie is just .....WHY?! I hate musicals so much, Disney, word of advice, stick to your pixar movies and not your stupid piece of crap musicals.
Educator and Parent Written byViolencePreventor November 16, 2012

Use this film as an opportunity to discuss domestic violence

I believe it is important to use this film as an opportunity to discuss domestic violence and abusive relationships with your children. In the film, Belle changes and ultimately saves the Beast through her unconditional love despite his psychological and physical violence towards her. This has important implications on how your children conceptualize relationships. I'd recommend explaining to them that in real life, when your partner acts abusive toward you, you should leave and tell an authority figure. Simply loving someone and accepting them will not change them if they are violent. Also, it is important to stress to your children that jealousy and control are NOT a normal healthy part of a relationship. This is incredibly important considering that 1 in 3 women are in battered relationships with abusive partners.
Parent Written bygiraffeshadow August 15, 2012

not a respectful disney movie

There is one scene where there is a married couple, they pass a woman on the street and the husband stares very disrespectfully at another woman's huge breasts. I think this is a horrible message for kids both girls and boys.
Parent Written byFvolfrine January 23, 2012

Maybe too scary for kids under 8

The initial scenes where Belle and Belle's father meet the Beast are quite scary, probably too much so for kids under 8. The scariness of these scenes are to present Beast as a scary figure, only to contrast that later with his true side, giving the “don’t judge a book by its cover” lesson some weight. I took my seven year old to see it in theaters during the 2012 3D rerelease and he was scared by the Beast’s introduction, but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
Kid, 10 years old January 22, 2012

Dazzling, with a few bad moments

I've been watching this movie over and over on a DVD since I was four, but with my mom fast-forwarding the scary parts. When I saw it in theaters with my 3 yr old sister and 7 year old brother, I was re-enchanted— but also had some concerns. Not so much about the violence, but about the brutal ways of Gaston and his abuse and blackmail of Belle, which, no matter how strong and smart Belle is, is NOT a positive message. My three year old sister took the violence well, covering her eyes and later commenting, "The beast was soo scary, but he got nicer and nicer and then he was nice!", but not all young kids would be OK with it like she was. But overall, I remember looking up to Belle as a four-year-old, as a strong girl who adored literature, and now I think that she is a better role model than ever, even if she does have a little bit of the Disney princess body type and looks. I've loved this movie for a long time, and in 3D it's absolutely stunning! Not to mention the fun songs and tender moments. Worth it— but be prepared to cover your kid's (or your) eyes.
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byForPetesSake January 22, 2012

My 4 year old spent the whole movie on my lap

My about to be 5 year old son was very frightened by this movie. I think he could have coped with the beast's scariness but there were so many other frightening things - mean Gaston, the terrifying wolves - that he got very little opportunity to relax and enjoy the film. It is undoubtedly beautifully done but is not suitable for sensitive kids. My 9 year old enjoyed it without problems.
Kid, 12 years old December 8, 2011

For OLDER KIDS!

I think it was a just fine movie, but it can be a little scary for yougner kids, a little to much violance, and it gives out the wrong messages. Just remamber, A magnificent movie, for old enough kids. Like my age, i am 12 going on 13. and it is still a little scary for me, but i am just a wimp!
Kid, 9 years old March 12, 2011

perfect

love this movie
Kid, 9 years old October 10, 2010

It's one of my favorites

I think it is a very good movie, but I vast-forward through some parts. The parts aren't scary but they are not the fun.
Adult Written bybranagh April 9, 2008

Great Family Movie. I Cried Dureing The Sad Bit & Sang During The Songs.

This film is a classic that every family should watch. I saw this movie when it first came out in theaters and loved it (saw it again when it was released in IMAX and experienced the same joy I did when I saw it the first time). Terrific fun. The messages are positive and appropriate for all ages. The violence is minimal and non-graphic (I wouldn't recommend it to kids under two years of age, as they may find it scary). The heroine, Belle, is my favorite movie heroine of all time. I love the special features on the Special Platinum Edition DVD, which include two trailers, a making-of documentary, original music videos and more. It's a castle full of treasure. The film's main message, "Beauty is found within," still resonates with me and it is a universal truth. Rated G.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCopper20 April 9, 2008

Scared me for a very short time

Great movie, but it's kinda freaky for a 4 year old.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLeafMeadow April 6, 2015

Timeless Classic

This movie is just Beautiful. Belle is an intellegent Female who unlike other Disney movies back then, had a complex personality. She is a Normal Bookwotm Villager with outstanding Beauty, but isn't one of those obnoxious "Prince charming save me" Type of Girl. This is truly Good for the whole family, and I'd reccomend watching this if you haven't seen it. But I warn you- The beast may be intimidating for kids 5-.
Kid, 11 years old February 28, 2015

My Favorite Princess Movie!

Great messages, no boring scenes, interesting. Some scary parts! The beast is SUPER scary at points. Boys should see at about 5-years-old. Girls: 6-years-old. Don't see with sensitive children till 7 or 8-years-old. (I saw it a 5 and I loved it. My brother got nightmares.)
Adult Written bybobbbbbbbbbbbbbb February 20, 2015

this guy/girl is stupid ! KaraLeaP !

sucks dont watch it ! gay !
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T January 6, 2015

A fun movie with some violence.

This movie is fun to watch, but it has a somewhat dark climax. Belle is in love with the Beast (which almost everyone knows) and her crush leads a mob to murder him. The resulting battle is quite intense. Yet there are very positive messages, like the fact that it's never too late to repent and that "beauty is found within." Personally I thought the creepiest character was not the Beast, but Monsieur D'Arque. He is extremely sadistic and wretched, and his face always seems to be glowing green. Yet you only see him in two scenes.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHorace Williams December 1, 2014

Amazing Disney classic.

Beauty and The Beast is a masterpiece. The animation and acting are just plain epic. Also, I loved watching it as a kid, I still have the VHS.
Teen, 13 years old Written byanimateddisneyfan November 18, 2014

one of my favs!

I love this movie! It has a really good story and all the characters are great such as Belle she doesn't want to marry Gaston because all he wants to marry her for is her beauty and none of her other good qualities. And I would TOTALLY recommend this movie! But there are scenes where the beast has some very loud outburst that may scare younger kids but other than that it is one of my FAVORITE animated Disney movies! :)
Adult Written byhelsingmusique November 9, 2014

Take it with a Grain of Salt

If you go digging in ANY disney movie there are going to be severe issues with messages they are trying to portray to children, however one movie is not going to affect how your children see the world. Nature vs nurture debate, which is important because sometimes disney likes to have odd messages, it is important to remember that if you raise your children correctly, any relatively odd messages will not hurt them. Beauty and the Beast (originally called Belle et la Bete) is a fairytale writing in 1771 which is actually very interesting to look up, however this is what disney based this movie off of therefore some of the themes are INCREDIBLY outdated. Also it is disney who likes to convince us that most women are evil so take it for what it is. As a kid's movie it is difficult to debate when we are reading too deep into things, some people have issues with the relationship between Belle and the Beast saying it is abusive, I think this is the point where people are reading too much into it, if this is the only movie your child watches, this could potentially be a serious problem, but I'm gathering your child is watching more movies than this, I do not think it is an issue we need to really freak out about. I mean Twilight has a much more horrifying message to children and few people ever freak out about that. But I'd also like to point out that this movie does have some good to it as well, I mean Gaston is the villain in the movie and he is trying to kill the beast for no justifiable reason other than he's the beast, and also when the beast is kind it also shows you cannot judge someone by how they look, they made him violent and aggressive I personally believe to showcase his frustration with what has befallen him and his human emotions, not to showcase an abusive relationship. That is solely personal opinion there, due to the fact that if you try and think in someone else's shoes, you can sometimes see such fascinating things. It's based on your personal opinions of the movie, but it will not damage your child if they see this movie.
Parent Written byshadesofhappy November 7, 2014

Good movie, BUT there are quite a few scary scenes and some disturbing adult content.

Good movie (for older kids) with lots of good songs, but could be quite disturbing for young children. My kids (3 and 5) both had nightmares for about a week after watching this. The scene with Gaston singing about Belle in the pub is extremely violent (and disturbing) with Gaston beating up on his so called "friend" over and over. There are also many intense scenes where the Beast appears angry and quite scary. The closing scene is also quite dramatic and shows the Beast being stabbed with Gaston's knife (blood and all) which is scary and disturbing (and quite frankly, has no place in a movie for young kids IMO). I would not have let the kids watch this movie if I knew about this beforehand.
Kid, 10 years old November 1, 2014

i know it's a good movie but...

your company spoils important parts even though parents need to know. SPOILER ALERT! THERE WAS NO NEED TO SAY the part where you said a person dies. anyone can handle this! parents DO NOT need to know about that in your video review.