All member reviews for Beauty and the Beast

Disney fave has great music, strong messages, some scares.

Parent Written byFvolfrine January 23, 2012

Maybe too scary for kids under 8

The initial scenes where Belle and Belle's father meet the Beast are quite scary, probably too much so for kids under 8. The scariness of these scenes are to present Beast as a scary figure, only to contrast that later with his true side, giving the “don’t judge a book by its cover” lesson some weight. I took my seven year old to see it in theaters during the 2012 3D rerelease and he was scared by the Beast’s introduction, but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
Kid, 10 years old January 21, 2012

wow...

yeah...Im not into this stuff , so.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysusieboo July 14, 2011

My favorite Disney princess

Belle is smart, kind, brave, beautiful, and, best of all, won't take Beast's crap. The Beast, in turn, learns to become a better person. The fight scene between the Beast and the villain at the end is a bit scary for younger kids. Lumiere and one of the maids flirt a lot, but nothing too extreme.
Adult Written bybranagh April 9, 2008

Great Family Movie. I Cried Dureing The Sad Bit & Sang During The Songs.

This film is a classic that every family should watch. I saw this movie when it first came out in theaters and loved it (saw it again when it was released in IMAX and experienced the same joy I did when I saw it the first time). Terrific fun. The messages are positive and appropriate for all ages. The violence is minimal and non-graphic (I wouldn't recommend it to kids under two years of age, as they may find it scary). The heroine, Belle, is my favorite movie heroine of all time. I love the special features on the Special Platinum Edition DVD, which include two trailers, a making-of documentary, original music videos and more. It's a castle full of treasure. The film's main message, "Beauty is found within," still resonates with me and it is a universal truth. Rated G.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviegeek April 9, 2008

LOVE IT EVEN NOW!

Every time I go through all of my old Disney VHS tapes, I ALWAYS watch Beauty and the Beast. Even at 15, I love it. It has great tunes that little kids will obviously be singing for days afterwards because they're just that catchy. And Lumiere and that clock guy are hilarious, especially to a little kid.
Adult Written byLowe's man March 24, 2016

slightly parallells real life

While I might have reservations about letting preschoolers watch this because of some scary scenes, it's a great movie for kids who are past the age where they'd be scared by such things. Belle thinks that she can change Beast, and she only stays with him because he does change. Both change, which is exactly the way any successful romantic relationship- or any successful relationship- works. Belle sensed- correctly, as it turned out- that all Beast needed was love. That's the way it is for some children- and adults- in real life. She knew that he was different inside than he was outside. A great way to introduce this concept to young school-age children.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMissconcerned February 27, 2016

B&B

It's like any other amazing Disney movie in my opinion (Sleeping Beauty and Frozen aren't amazing in my opinion- I only like Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty). However the villain isn't what I call evil, more annoying than evil actually.
Parent Written byemmastanley July 28, 2015

Bad and violent'...

This is terrible this has scary violent scenes very stupid and dumb if i rated this definatly 0/5!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old August 21, 2013

Fab film!

Great film! Bad things: mob scene is scary, as is Gaston and the Beast's fight. Depends on your child, but my little sister ( now six, then five ), was fine. If they're more sensitive, they can just cover their eyes or go out the room for the scariest bits. Good things: songs are amazing, characters interesting and fun, message great, one of the best disney films ever!
Teen, 15 years old Written byMitchell Charleston May 25, 2013

Classic Disney fim.

I love watching Beauty and the Beast. It the second best classic Disney film (with the best being The Lady and The Tramp). It is funny, charming, and has GOOD messages for the kids. P.S. Today is the first day of my Summer vacation. This Summer, i'm going to get a Summer job. Anyways, this is an instant classic. 5 stars for sure.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

A True Enchanted Disney Rose

One of the best films in the animated Disney canon. Belle broke the traditional princess mold and is a great role model for kids, particularly girls. She's intelligent, kind, and discerning enough to see beyond people's exteriors to their hearts (though the Beast does repulse her at first; we'll get to that in a minute). Her great relationship with her father is also one kids and parents would do well to observe and take to heart. As for the Beast, he provides great discussion fodder about how someone can change for the better, and how we can help people in our lives do that, even if they don't seem likeable. Gaston, for his part, is definitely a villain, but he provides cautionary messages about pride, ego, and shallow-minded thinking. The youngest kids will probably be frightened by a mob scene, as well as the Beast's early frequent roaring. As one reviewer noted, Gaston's villain song takes place in a bar, with the Disney-fied version of the beer and cleavage that entails (younger kids may notice and may not). One other caveat involves the administrator of the insane asylum; his very appearance, let alone his motives, are frightening, and kids may need reassurance he won't harm Maurice or Belle. Otherwise, this enchanted castle is a great place to let the whole family visit.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLu Bu December 10, 2012

Its sad how popular this crap is

This is not funny, i'll tell you what's funny, the fact that this crap exists, it does not even bother to try, it does not even have anything entertaining, this piece of crap is not even bothering to keep my eyes on, this is just revolting, these idiots just sit there and sing, and my dog is named Belle which is named after that stupid girl. This movie is just .....WHY?! I hate musicals so much, Disney, word of advice, stick to your pixar movies and not your stupid piece of crap musicals.
Kid, 12 years old April 11, 2012

Best movie ever!!

I love Beauty and the Beast! I think it's the best movie of all time! It's absolutely beautiful and has a sweet and simple message: beauty is on the inside. This movie is the first animated movie ever to be nominated for an Academy Award and be put on broadway. It has amazing animation and incredible music. The story is of a prince who was turned into a hideous Beast by an old women (she wasn't selling apples, that's Snow White) who gave him an enchanted rose which would bloom until his 21st year. If he could learn to love another and earn her love in return the spell would be broken. If not, he would be doomed to remain a beast for all time. But who could learn to love a Beast? Belle is a smart bookworm who doesn't fit in in her small town. She yearns for adventure and love, all the time pursued by the annoying Gaston. When her father becomes prisoner to the Beast, Belle bravely takes his place. As Belle and the Beast become closer, with the help of the enchanted servants of the castle, the spell gets that much closer to breaking. I love Beauty and the Beast!!!
Kid, 10 years old February 8, 2012

Why again????

It was not the best because we've all seen beauty and the beast. 3D really didn't make it better. But it's always good to see an old one. A little scary for the little one. I do not like to see the abuse and i don't want y little sister buying into that.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 5, 2012

Very Good

The best Disney animated feature
Teen, 15 years old Written bypiewizard February 5, 2012

My All-Time Favorite!

This is my all time favorite Disney movie! and i must admit, there are some scenes that still give me chills. This movie has some scenes that might be too intense for young children and gives a great message. There's just something about this movie that makes you want to cry your heart out...something you you just can't lay a finger on. This movie means different things to different people at different times. It shows not to judge someone by what they look like, but to look on the inside. You never know who that person my really be, or what they may have gone through.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviefan115 January 23, 2012

One of the best Disney films ever

This movie is great for everyone! It's got entertaining songs, impressive visuals, and characters that not only show positive messages, but they are lovable. My two only complaints are that it might be scary for younger viewers, and Beauty and the Beast should have won Best Picture! This truly is a great film. :)
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byForPetesSake January 22, 2012

My 4 year old spent the whole movie on my lap

My about to be 5 year old son was very frightened by this movie. I think he could have coped with the beast's scariness but there were so many other frightening things - mean Gaston, the terrifying wolves - that he got very little opportunity to relax and enjoy the film. It is undoubtedly beautifully done but is not suitable for sensitive kids. My 9 year old enjoyed it without problems.
Kid, 12 years old December 8, 2011

For OLDER KIDS!

I think it was a just fine movie, but it can be a little scary for yougner kids, a little to much violance, and it gives out the wrong messages. Just remamber, A magnificent movie, for old enough kids. Like my age, i am 12 going on 13. and it is still a little scary for me, but i am just a wimp!
Kid, 9 years old March 12, 2011