All member reviews for Beauty and the Beast

The ultimate makeover story has strong, positive messages.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byKaraLeaP December 29, 2009

Terrible message to send to our girls

This movie sends a terrible message to our girls. All too often we see women isolated from loved ones by their abusers, thinking if they can just love him enough, he will change into a prince. This movie encourages those incorrect beliefs. The Beast isolates and abuses Belle, but when she learns to love him, he changes into a prince. Makes me sick to think my little girl could buy into this. I gave it two stars though, because the music is fantastic, and the movie is well done. Belle was a great role model up until she succumbed to Stockholm syndrom.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymusic4life92 October 13, 2010
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoseStuckInABook April 14, 2010

A Masterpiece

Beauty and the Beast is my all the time favorite Disney movie (which is saying something, as I love them all so much!) and I made an account here just to defend it. First of all, Belle doesn't start loving Beast (or Prince Adam, whichever you prefer) until he stops treating her badly. Unlike some of the other Royal Disney couples, I believe Belle and Beast truly love each other, rather than the lust at first sight couples such as Snow White and her Prince and Cinderella and Charming have. If she was going to fall for that, she would have gone for Gaston. Belle is a great role model. She stands out, doesn't care what others think (great to have a kid appericting that trait young for once they get to middle school or high school), and she's not shallow. The animation is great, the music is great, it's simply...a masterpiece
Adult Written byconcernedparent April 9, 2008

Be careful..

To most this looks like an innocent movie. It is not that simple. The message my little girl gets is that Belle can fix the angry beast. Well, I work with victims of sexual assault and domestic violence and for me.. that theme is a bit over the top. The movie does have good points, and yes not judging a book by its cover is one of them. Please, just watch it with your children. There are many scenes that Belle is abused verbally, but it is disguised as "oh, poor Beast". No. Also the candle "flirts" with the broomstick as she's saying "no", good message? I think not. I do like the movie, but I do hope that parents are watching it with children to explain further more than simply applauding Belle, tell them it also would have been fine for Belle to leave the beast when he was unkind. She did not have to stay and "fix" him. Just please, do not take this as me hating the movie or being over-sensitive, but I see women like Belle fixing their Beasts daily and it is almost horrifying to see a movie centered around a popular heroine for young girls doing the same thing. Thanks and again.. I like the movie and some of its many messages, but again I can't stress enough to watch this WITH your children.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byCate123 March 23, 2011

Fine movie but not perfect in messages

As KaraLea said the messages are far from perfect for young girls i Can't help but notice how it portrays a young woman despite being locked away and isolated as well as yelled and mistreated still ignores how the beast treats her and seems willing to go through all of this just to win his heart - not a good message for any young girl. However i did like that main character was headstrong and a bookworm and was not afraid to speak her mind.
Parent Written bySarah W. January 14, 2012

Offensive and Outdated

The movie is about a woman who falls in love with her captor, who threatens her physically when she doesn't follow his orders. Really? "Positive Messages"??? Is this 2012 or 1912? Try some critical thinking before you review childrens' films.
Adult Written byLaurieM January 18, 2012

Stop sending messages that abuse of women is Ok!

I agree with other reviewer that it teaches women to accept spousal abuse as normal. He kidnaps her, locks her in a cell, makes her trade sexual favors (she must dress up and have dinner with him looking cute) in order to receive food) abuses her father and she falls in love with him. Movie would never have been made with the genders reversed IE- a woman doing that to a man and he falls in love with her. The original beauty and the beast by Cocteau is much better, the horror I find in the sanctioning of abuse and a woman loving it as per the Disney movie (Stockholm syndrome) is a moot point in the Cocteau film when the beast in so obviously a gay character in real life. This puts the movie on a different level, one of more pure fantasy and much more dreamlike. There really is no question that this could ever be a real relationship in the Cocteau film.
Teen, 15 years old Written byEmmaLu April 15, 2011

It is a great movie. I am a huge Disney movie lover! It will probable be scary for younger kids though.
Teen, 13 years old Written byleftbehindcrazed8 January 9, 2011

LOOOOOOVE IT!!

AWESOME MOVIE!!!!! This is one of the best Disney movies of all time. The story line is great, as are the messages and role models of the movie. Belle sees through the Beat's looks and looks at the warmth in his heart, and the Beast starts caring for Belle. There's minor scariness, because when little kids see him at first they will be frightened when he is very mean to Belle. Gaston and his "people" come to the castle to kill the Beast, and G. eventually falls off the balcony, after he stabs Beast with a knife. EVERYONE 6+!!!!!!!!! :D
Teen, 13 years old Written bytangled August 24, 2010

One of my most favourite movies of all time

Its sorta odd for a 13 year old to say this, but I adore this movie. The character of Belle is an excellent role model and the beast changes from a shallow man to a kind prince. WAY better than other disney movies I found some what annoying such as Aladdin and The Little Mermaid. Gaston is the best disney villain XD.
Adult Written byRandomColoradan July 20, 2013

Belle is desperate

So, instead of dating the librarian she isolates herself, then sacrifices herself for dad, then when she's set free she should have got Gaston to kill the thing, but no she was brainwashed into loving him...Stupid right? The music is great ...not a very good message though.
Kid, 10 years old January 21, 2012

wow...

yeah...Im not into this stuff , so.
Adult Written byAndyMeatball January 14, 2012

Amazing on the big screen.

I'm 18, so I never got a chance to see this when it originally came out in theaters. I've owned this movie my whole life and seen it about a million times - I practically know it by heart - but seeing it on the big screen was just enthralling! I made my parents go with me and they really enjoyed it too. I noticed things I never saw before. The details really pop out in 3D and the art is just as beautiful as ever. There were mostly adults in the theater, but there were a couple of kids about 6 or 7 years old sitting by me who thoroughly enjoyed this too. I'm so glad that I - and a whole younger generation of kids - are finally getting to see this on the big screen! As far as the messages go, such as the whole Stockholm-syndrome-girl-being-mistreated thing, I have to say that I never noticed or was affected by that at all when I was a kid. I wanted to be like Belle in the sense that I wanted to read and sing and wear blue like she did, but never once did I think that falling in love with some jerk and changing him was a good idea because I saw Belle do it. I definitely did not put as much stock in the storyline as a kid as adults would. One more thing about that - around the time that I was a tween/teenager, I noticed that the Beast pretty much acts like a spoiled teenage boy. In the movie, he's about 11 years old when he turns into the beast (since it's been ten years according to Lumiere, and the rose blooms until his 21st birthday at the end of the film), and since he apparently doesn't have any parents, he's just free to be as selfish as he pleases. Viewing the Beast in that light helped me to really appreciate him more as a character, and it would probably be a good conversation point between parents and kids. Anyway, I've always loved this movie, and I definitely think that it's worth going out to see it in 3D!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysusieboo July 14, 2011

My favorite Disney princess

Belle is smart, kind, brave, beautiful, and, best of all, won't take Beast's crap. The Beast, in turn, learns to become a better person. The fight scene between the Beast and the villain at the end is a bit scary for younger kids. Lumiere and one of the maids flirt a lot, but nothing too extreme.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 25, 2009

a little much for a five year old.

this movie is great but Geston FLIRTS way to much with Bell and tries to fource her into marriing him. and the beast get angry A LOT. and there are a lot of intence sences. A little bit much for SOME 5 year olds to be seing.
Adult Written bytwistofcain August 20, 2009

love it even my nice who is 3 loved it.
Kid, 12 years old August 21, 2013

Fab film!

Great film! Bad things: mob scene is scary, as is Gaston and the Beast's fight. Depends on your child, but my little sister ( now six, then five ), was fine. If they're more sensitive, they can just cover their eyes or go out the room for the scariest bits. Good things: songs are amazing, characters interesting and fun, message great, one of the best disney films ever!
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, and 9 year old Written bymom2fourgr8kids May 17, 2013

Great movie!

To the reviewers worried about the message this movie sends young girls about men and the way they should treat women... How about making sure that Beast isn't a strong role model for your child? Make sure your child sees that dad treats mom the right way - simple fix to the problem with the movie. A brief encounter with an animated movie will not erase what a child sees everyday. Have a quick conversation with your child during the movie (hit the pause button), about how Belle shouldn't let Beast be mean like that, or Beast needs to learn better manners. I mean, really people...
Teen, 13 years old Written byLu Bu December 10, 2012

Its sad how popular this crap is

This is not funny, i'll tell you what's funny, the fact that this crap exists, it does not even bother to try, it does not even have anything entertaining, this piece of crap is not even bothering to keep my eyes on, this is just revolting, these idiots just sit there and sing, and my dog is named Belle which is named after that stupid girl. This movie is just .....WHY?! I hate musicals so much, Disney, word of advice, stick to your pixar movies and not your stupid piece of crap musicals.
Educator and Parent Written byViolencePreventor November 16, 2012

Use this film as an opportunity to discuss domestic violence

I believe it is important to use this film as an opportunity to discuss domestic violence and abusive relationships with your children. In the film, Belle changes and ultimately saves the Beast through her unconditional love despite his psychological and physical violence towards her. This has important implications on how your children conceptualize relationships. I'd recommend explaining to them that in real life, when your partner acts abusive toward you, you should leave and tell an authority figure. Simply loving someone and accepting them will not change them if they are violent. Also, it is important to stress to your children that jealousy and control are NOT a normal healthy part of a relationship. This is incredibly important considering that 1 in 3 women are in battered relationships with abusive partners.