All member reviews for Because of Winn-Dixie

A girl and a dog educate a small southern town.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byrobinpeggy April 9, 2008

closer to G than PG

My 6 year old loved this, and my 11 year old liked it (and probably would have admitted to more if he weren't concerned about appearing un-hip). I wept copiously. I thought the girl playing Opal was terrific. Lots of good message, and we had a great ride-home conversation.
Adult Written byartgrl April 9, 2008
Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008

i laughed

This movie was cute opel is a good actress
Parent Written bytiffinya April 23, 2010

good adaptation of book

Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Because of Winn-Dixie

Sexual Content (Not an Issue): None. Violence (Not an Issue): Some slapstick humor. Language (Pause): A few hells and one damn. Social Behavior (On): Tolerance and friendship are major themes of the movie. Diverse cast. Commercialism (Not an Issue): None. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Pause): We see beer bottles hanging from a tree. Gloria states that she was once an alcoholic, and Opal's father tells her that her mother was a heavy drinker (none of this is seen, just referenced).
Adult Written byTeacher3 December 10, 2009
As a teacher, I feel this book and movie have lots of important issues. In my classroom, year after year, it brings rich discussions on things like alcoholism, single aprent familes, loss and longing. My students LOVE this book and movie!
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

I laughed, I had some tears...

We (my 3 kids and my self) loved this movie. We all had tears through the movie and also had some good laughs.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian February 7, 2014

A Girl, Her Dog, and their Fantastic Flick

When a lonely, ten-year-old preacher's kid teams up with a big, hairy, smiling stray dog, adventure abounds, and so does warmth, friendship, and love. Opal's stuck in a small Southern town with a sad dearth of children her age, thanks to her preacher father's job. The trailer park where they stay rent-free doesn't allow pets, and Dad is usually tucked in his shell, writing sermons. As for Mom, she skipped town when Opal was three, and Opal doesn't know why. So when she finds Winn-Dixie, eponymously after the grocery store where that event took place, it's clear she needs him more than he, her. Opal and Winn-Dixie grow to be great friends, but Winn-Dixie also teaches Opal how to be a friend, and that adults can be good friends, too. Among those adult friends include a pet shop owner, the librarian, a misunderstood town recluse Opal bonds with over clunker last names, and even Dad, who Opal grows to understand better. Opal is a refreshingly smart, yet innocent, independent, yet respectful, little girl. And the kids in her town are refreshing, too. They play outside, read books, ride bikes, and sit on the porch to eat candy while the librarian tells them a Civil War story. The town even has a converted church (it used to be a convenience store), and Christianity is treated as normal and healthy. Minor caveats exist. We find out Opal's mother was an alcoholic (nothing is shown onscreen). Two boys call a man "retarded," and other undesirable words, such as "booger-eaters," are tossed around. But other than that, there's nothing objectionable. Pop this one in the DVD player, and bring the dogs and cats. (Birds, fish, and other creatures welcome, too!)
Adult Written bycheevy April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCHolladay April 9, 2008

I was touched on several levels - I highly recommend it.

I saw this movie on a plane; probably would've caught it at some point on cable, but not definite. I found myself relating to the young girl, and moved by the same emotions she felt. I heard the line, "the best laughter is through your tears", and that applies here. A good message, yet realistic. Just enough comic relief and realism. Not sure if kids younger than 10 would be comfortable with the emotional themes.
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byqtnn January 11, 2009
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 24, 2012

Very good movie!

This movie was really funny! It is pretty cool as well.I recomend it!
Adult Written bymomofthree April 9, 2008

It's About Time !!

A movie that doesn't leave you brain dead and sorry you had to sit through it for your kids!? This is a fun, touching movie which handles well many worthwhile life lessons about love, loss, joy and sorrow. Bring tissue if you are a lush like me, otherwise, enjoy this feel good movie!
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 12, 2012

It's alright

A pretty mediocre animal movie
Adult Written bygoldrush April 9, 2008

made you think

made you think of how one judges people on a daily basics and makes you look in ward on yourself and also at to make the most of your surrounding. Its just a very enjoyable film, hats off Thank You
Adult Written byhorsecraze14 April 9, 2008

boring...

I'm 15 and I found this movie really boring lol.. I think its great for younger kids and would be good for them to watch and its ok for anybody really I just thought it was a little boring for kids my age and up...
Kid, 9 years old April 30, 2010

Perfect for animal lovers!

I really really love it because I love dogs. She works hard to keep her dog.
Adult Written byrayandfran April 9, 2008
Adult Written bylizrose April 9, 2008

Must read book and must see movie for 8 and up

Because of Winn Dixie was a wonderful book and a terrific movie. We saw it together and have not stopped talking about it. I think the role of alcohol in the movie is a great topic for discussion with young and old alike. I also liked that they did not change the ending of the book for the film.
Kid, 10 years old August 6, 2010

Well Because of Winne-Dixxie -Opal

10 year old Opal is a new kid at some small town. She has no friends. Her dad is the precher there and that is why she moves many times, but one day she went to the market store that's call Winne-Dixxie. There she finds a dog that smiles? Yes Dear Winne-Dixxie. After finding Winne-Dixxie she learns 10 things about her mother that left when she was only 2 years old. She also finds many friends and learns also the true meaning of friend ship and life lesons. It is is a great movie! i loved it! READ THE BOOK FIRST BECAUSE THERE ARE SOME MISSING PARTS AND ITS BETTER!