All member reviews for Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Delightful Disney charmer may be too long for youngest.

Parent of a 6 year old Written bydanvar2003 October 17, 2010

Appalled that a movie from my childhood has references to true evil

First of all, in a world full of subtle inappropriate content, many failed to notice that the whole premise is based on the book they are seeking. You can check the references yourself, I even find it distasteful to write it here, it is the title of the half book she has from the start of the movie. Also, the references to 'witchcraft' imply paganism. I was actually appalled when I watched part of this with my five year old son thinking it a fun movie from my childhood. Thank the Lord I am educated and armoured to see the scary and subtle messages in this movie. And we wonder what is wrong with our world...parents, be on your guard if you care about the well-being of your children.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNarwhalLover13 June 15, 2013

;p

I thought it was very good. It had lots of imagination.
Parent Written bymadronemedia April 9, 2008

Classic movie with Bizzare Nazi Imagery

I hadn't watched this in many years. The commentary on WWII seems way out of place for a family movie geared at kids.
Parent Written byronfein August 6, 2014

A little hard for kids to understand

It requires a detailed historical backgrounder beforehand (WWII, Nazis, evacuating children from London, etc.) and sometimes during. Also, everyone has an English accent, and several are quite thick (including the children). My kids didn't fully understand many of the main details: that Ms. Price isn't their mother, that the village they're sent to isn't London, etc. That said, they mostly enjoyed it. They laughed at the soccer game on the Isle of Naboombu and the final battle against the invading Germans. My 7yo was initially very frightened when Ms. Price looks out the door and sees Nazi soldiers staring at her, so here's a pro tip: after Mr. Browne leaves for the train station, right when Ms. Price starts to put the cat out for the night, pause it and warn younger children what's about to happen.
Kid, 10 years old January 7, 2012

One of the best

I think this film is one of the best 'puts a smile on your face' films ever! Who cares about the ghost soliders and Nazis, that builds the tension and the humour together, come on brainless people!
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 April 22, 2011

You Must Face The Age Of Not Believing.

Miss Price is a kindly witch that takes in 3 refugee orphans. The bedknob that makes their bed fly makes this a very magical film. Some scenes with Nazis might be confusing for younger kids, but they'll be too occupied by Miss Price and the cartoon animals too notice.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bymichugalug November 30, 2009

Not good messages for kids, and also violent, sexist and anti-German

Sexist, Anti-German, way too violent and scary for the 12 and under set. Also, what is up with the lingerie-clad woman walking on the railroad tracks? I recommend Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or the Absent-Minded Professor.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

A nice change from the same ole stuff

Our 4.5 yo loves this movie and I couldn't find a single objectionable thing about it (unlike most current Disney movies). We did have to do a bit of explaining abt the presence of the soldiers at the end. The reason why the kids are at Ms. Prices' house (escaping the Blitz) went over his head completely and that was fine with me. The oldest child's accent can be a bit difficult to understand but it gave us an opportunity to talk abt how people who live in different places speak differently. Overall, we enjoyed it. I was quite surprised to find it on the shelf of my local video store. I suspect if we want to buy it, I'll turn to eBay.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

One of the best Disney movies ever!!

It's both touching and inspiring. A must-see for everyone!!!
Parent of a 4 year old Written byfierce_mink_2000 April 9, 2008

Nazis?!

I really enjoyed this movie as a child, and looked forward to being able to share it with my children. I rented it a while ago to see if I thought it was ok (refresh my memory) and I don't think it is! I think the ghost army is scary, and the Nazi's and the ghosts shoot at each other. I realize my kid is young yet, at 3 1/2, but I am just not ready to discuss Nazis, and why they are evil with him.
Kid, 10 years old February 5, 2015

WHAT

The movie is amazing and parents, don't listen to the other reviews. I mean seriously....17?????? This is a perfect little kid movie. Not Chitty Chitty Bang Bang which is an A+++ horror movie. It's true. I have proof. So, instead, watch this.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGwyneth Alice April 19, 2012

Not Disney's best...

The movie did drag on for a while, and it wasn't terribly interesting. Even the Sherman brothers' songs weren't very memorable. And parents may have to explain the Nazis and what was going on in Britain at the time. I didn't really enjoy it very much; it just seemed like Disney was attempting to make another Mary Poppins.