All member reviews for Beetlejuice

Early Tim Burton is creepy, dark fun for tweens and teens.

Parent of a 10 and 17 year old Written bysdotwolf March 13, 2009

great movie but a lot more than the review says

great, witty, and entertaining movie. i only take issue with the inaccurate description provided by common sense. there are several sexual references ("sexual perverts" and moaning mistaken as active sex by teenager for two examples). there's a lot of swearing - s**t, god d*** (many of this), hell (not just as the place), and one f***. there are some very, though comic in context, scary images (face ripped off, bloody toothed monster, people cut in half, etc). there are also many (8) references to suicide. it's just for an older crowd than 9 years old.
Parent of a 4, 4, 7, and 10 year old Written by4kidmom May 6, 2010

Good for tweens and up

We really like this classic from way back when! It's a little disgusting, very funny, but too disturbing for younger kids. They will miss the humor and only be scared or disturbed by it, and they will not understand, nor should they be introduced to the recurrent images and ideas surrounding suicide. There are also several language issues that we had forgotten about until we were already watching it with our 10 and 7 year old( One utterance of F**k and several other less potent swear words). Our 7 year old should not have been watching it!
Kid, 10 years old October 27, 2010

A favorite

One of my favorite movies I saw it one night on tv and i saw it on netflix it is a awsome movie I love Tim Burton . This movie is a little inappropreate for little kids. But kids ages 8+ will be able to watch it. If you don't mind creepy things you are good to go. Good for a Halloween movie marathon.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byHalljanex April 9, 2008

Not good for young kids

Because this was rated PG, I got it for my 11 and 8 year old. It was really not right for them at all and my husband and I couldn't believe the PG rating. I did not enjoy watching this with my kids one bit.
Adult Written byRachel D April 9, 2008

Yuck, yuck, yuck!

I couldn't finish watching this as a kid and I tried again as an adult. Still couldn't stomach the gross out "comedy" and rate this as dumb, dumb and dumber. Never have finished watching it and can't stand to see even the title without gagging. Don't bother.
Parent of an infant, 2, 5, 6, and 9 year old Written byUTMomof4 October 29, 2011

For adults, maybe older teens. Definitely not for kids.

My grandma took me, and a bunch of my younger cousins and my younger siblings to see this movie when it first came out. I was 9 years old. I would never let my 9 year old daughter, and her younger siblings, watch this movie! It was scary to us kids. As an older teenager I enjoyed it, and as an adult it's just o.k. to me. But as a parent, it is something my kids will NOT watch! The language is inappropriate for kids, the sexual content is inappropriate, and the violence is inappropriate. All of that is even a little too much for my taste now. I definitely don't recommend this movie for kids of any age.
Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written bycherifff May 7, 2010

Parents need to know that there are several swear words in this movie including the F word- almost all spoken by the crude Beetlejuice character. He grabs himself in several lewd ways, makes constant, indecent and inappropriate advances and comments towards another man's wife and at one point enters a whore house where scantily clad women awaited. I was watching this with my 10 year old daughter and was shocked to the point of turning it off. I would not recommend it for any age.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bySteven Matthews May 15, 2011

Not for pre-teens

I was hesitant about letting my son watch this but I went with CSM's 9+ recommendation. I should have trusted my judgment. The cursing was bad enough, but there were too many scary scenes for him, and it didn't help that Burton's direction and sets are surreal either.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byAidens_Mommy September 9, 2010

Ridiculous movie.. don't let your kids watch this.

Beetlejuice is so rude and unless you just don't care what your kids watch, I wouldn't let my child watch this at all. There are several curse words, including the F word, bare breasts, sexual references (including towards a married woman), a scene inside a whorehouse (shows nothing but the women are scantily clad) and a scene with dead souls which could be very disturbing for young children. I know the teens on here love this movie and think the bad reviews are ridiculous- which is why I'm rating it.. unless YOU want your child to think like the teenagers here do, keep them away from this movie and others like it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrobinrunner March 26, 2011

a halloween movie made for mature audiences

Beetlejuice swears a lot. While first meeting two of his customers which are the main charecters he quickly touches the woman while her husbands not looking. She later calls him a p*rvert. The ghost-couple try to scare another couple by woo-ing and moaning, and the daughter thinks thier having you-know-what and tells them to keep it down. A woman smokes a ciggerate, and the smoke from it comes disgustingly out a slit in her throat
Kid, 10 years old March 24, 2011

no no no for under 9

humor is good but hard to understand and crude. also could creep out some people. still its good!
Teen, 14 years old Written byfree_weezy May 24, 2010

u cherifff person waterver u make a big deal bout lil thing beetlejuice is not that bad ( coming from a girl that that watched it at 9 years old)
Kid, 12 years old January 26, 2010

BeetleJuice is a fun film it is extremley fun and a large laugh hhowever the f word is usually expected in a 15 so atleast people know what to expect before they watch it also the scene where barbera rips her own face off made me jump when i watched it for the first time but it was just unexpected.furthermore i reccomend this and i think everyone who has children 12 and above should watch it
Parent of a 3, 3, and 5 year old Written byjonallypugliese1023 November 4, 2013

I Love Beetlejuice!

Saw this movie for the first time when I was 19 after I had my oldest daughter. I loved it right away. Some people are seriously over reacting about this movie. It may have cussing big deal whatever. Apparently a lot of you have really sheltered kids if you won't let 10 year olds watch it. I was watching a lot worse stuff when I was 10 or even younger so I don't see the problem. My husbands and I's aren't sheltered in the least bit like yalls apparently any way Beetlejuice is an awesome movie.
Kid, 11 years old October 23, 2013

Educator and Parent Written byjusbytheclown March 24, 2013

Classic Burton/ Elfman collaboration, ends well

We decided that our 9 y/o should finally see this. We was scared going in and covered his eyes during some of the more intense scenes, but in the end he thought it was good. He's been a fan of Danny Elfman (Tim Burton film) soundtracks for years now: specifically Batman. The Maitlins are great role models. They express affection, they choose to work on their house during their vacation, they pay attention to details, they respect each others opinions. It's easy to like them and understand their choices. It's hard to like the Deetses. They are by turns bullying, passive-agressive, sarcastic, greedy, petty, enabling, etc. The language rules for PG were a little more lax during the 80's, be aware that Beetlejuice lets out an F-bomb. There are several characters who smoke cigarettes, including one at the dinner table. It's pretty heavy material: death, suicide, the gentrification of Connecticut... The music and absurdity of visual effects help soften the scare factor, and Beetlejuice is a wonderful dark clown.
Adult Written bywonder dove September 21, 2012

A spooky good time!!!

I first saw parts of this movie when I was 6 at a friends house and I just loved it even though I probably didn't really get the jokes or understand the plot. But, to this day as a young adult I have to say it's one of the BEST! It's quirky, silly and witty with a brilliant storyline perfect for Halloween! Lots of fantasy and scares, lots of discussion about ghosts and lost souls, a ritual takes place to bring back the dead - it is very creative and well done. I think it would be much too frightening for young viewers unless they're a fan of scary movies. Not much violence except for giant sand worms who chase it's victims and also a scene of a giant snake who terrorizes the family. There's one use of the "F" word in a humorous way along with some other very mild words. A lonely teen attempts suicide a couple of times. Some sexual content includes a teen mistakes her parents for sleeping together in the next room because of non-sexual sounding moaning noises (however, she discovers it is ghosts!). Beetlejuice enters what looks like a strip club in the model-sized city and shows some skanky women. Beetlejuice tries to look up a woman's skirt. Overall, very frightening atmosphere but definitely fun for families to enjoy together with kids 10 and up!
Adult Written byAndy RC April 7, 2012

Kids will love, shame about the one F word.

I saw this for the Tv premiere in 1991. I was 4. My sister let me watch it, My mother was out. Needless to say, my mother was not so happy when she heard i saw it. I didn't find it scary, I did enjoy it. although this was 1991, and it would have been edited for tv back then I did not hear "nice f**** model". that would be my reason to not let some one see it so young now, unless it was edited. Scariest part: when they turn there faces into "scary faces".
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn September 5, 2011

Incredibly imaginative, but dark and crude

Beetlejuice is classic Tim Burton: ingenious production design, incredibly imaginative, original and darkly hilarious. While Beetlejuice is a little easier to take in for younger audiences than Edward Scissorhands or Sleepy Hollow, it still shouldn't have been rated PG, and when I think of it, the PG-13 rating was around back than so that is a bit baffling. What makes it a strong PG rating is mainly the extremely dark story and the humor, which ranges from black to crude to sexual in a blink of an eye. The biggest reason of why it should have been rated PG-13 though, is the F-word which should have ensured the rating. Still, it's a great movie that most teens with a dark sense of humor should love.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 June 25, 2011

The most hilarious horror-comedy ever; perfect for Halloween. On the other hand, this is far too much for a PG rating, even for 1988, because younger kids won't understand the humor and will only be scared. An absolute must-see for audiences that can handle.

My rating: PG-13 for frequent black humor involving creepy images/frightening scenes, brief smoking and some language. [NOTE: This film, like a few other 80's films (i.e. Spaceballs, Big) pushes the PG to the extremes. It has one F bomb used, but unlike the two listed films, it has a creepy sensation that could give kids nightmares--I really thought they stopped giving creepy movies PG ratings in the late 1970's or the early 1980's.]