All member reviews for Begin Again

Music-heavy film explores reinvention and forgiveness.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew March 5, 2015

Funny but racy dramedy discovers adulthood

My rating:R for language
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieGuy2570 January 16, 2015

Fun, Inspiring Musical Movie

Begin Again is definitely a very good movie including great performances from Keira Knightly and Mark Ruffalo and is pretty much ok for everyone despite some minor issues. There is some strong language which is just over 10 uses of F*** and some uses of Sh** as well as minor terms such as damn or hell. There is also one very brief sexual reference but besides that, the movie is absolutely fine. I would recommend it to all who like heartwarming movies and it may even be something you watch with you're family. Overall, a nice movie.
Kid, 12 years old November 17, 2014

Inspirational but lots of language

It is in inspiring because these pople get there life back together. If you like music, you will love this because they sing songs in all these different places. Plus the music is good. The movie includes alot of alcohol and the man is a alcoholic . He also smokes a lot But he gets himself togther in the end. They curse every sentence and refer to some inaproprite stuff. Overall it was a pretty god movie though.
Kid, 10 years old October 18, 2014

Amazing!!!

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! OK for tweens and up.The only problem is the profanity and drinking.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCarly.rae13 August 6, 2014

Great Movie!

This movie is amazing! It really wouldn't be rated R if it weren't for the f word being used commonly. There is a lot of drinking and smoking but other than that this movie is great for kids 13+
Parent Written byauntpeapie July 30, 2014

Saw it first; went back with my teens

My kids are into music and I had a feeling they'd love this movie. I saw it first to see why the R rating. Granted there is drinking and smoking, talk of infidelity (on two occasions) and some bad language, but the message is positive and focuses on forgiveness and standing on your own two feet. Plus the music is amazing, Keira Knightly and Mark Ruffalo are great together and I'd rate the violence at 1 (one sucker punch) and sex/nudity at 0. The dozen or so F-bombs are what, in my opinion, keep it from being PG-13. I think it's perfectly fine to expect kids to witness bad behavior and understand that because other people do it (smoking, drinking, swearing) doesn't make it OK.
Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byKaty L July 18, 2014

Positive view of women and family healing

This film is rated R mostly for language--so if that's not an issue for you, take your teens to see it. My critically-minded 15-year-old LOVED it and called it her new favorite movie. Think Once with a much happier ending, family redemption, a positive music vibe, and a view of women that is very positive. It deals realistically with issues of parent/teen strife, marital strife, extra-marital attraction (without actually going there--for once!), and struggling to make it in the music industry. Plus Mark Ruffalo is amazing.
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah July 13, 2014

Super cute and far better than the trailers suggest.

I only saw this because of the surprisingly positive reviews. The trailers don't do this justice, but instead make this look unabashedly schmaltzy and annoying, but it's actually really cute. It has some tropes, but that doesn't detract from the movie itself, and it actually isn't as predictable as one would think. Kiera Knightley is adorable, and holy crap, she can sing. She has such a great presence and works well with Mark Ruffalo, and he does what he needs to do given his role's rather archetypical characteristics. Whenever he seems to not be as great as Knightley, it's because of the script, not him. The supporting actors are nice and don't feel expendable. The film itself is fun to watch and is consistent throughout, although it feels a bit long mostly because film's first act is a slower than it could be. The music is good and comes off as realistic, and (surprisingly) not corny or like the songs are there just to fill time. Although the movie isn't super original in its concept, the character development is a bit different than other music-centric films, and it has such a nice energy about it. I want to hug Kiera Knightley. 7.9/10, good, one thumb up, above average, etc.