All teen and kid member reviews for Being John Malkovich

Teen, 15 years old Written byChristopher K July 16, 2011

Bizarre, Clever, and Unique, But Inconsistent

Being John Malkovich is genius in its bizareness. It's crazy and inventive and witty, but it also begins with more promise than it turns out to have in store for us. The first half hour or so is virtually flawless, but the rest of the movie becomes too dark, too intense, and too different from the first portion of the film. About an hour into the film, I found myself feeling almost bored. The movie begins with an Alice-falling-down-the-rabbit-hole feel to it--and Jon Cusack does in fact fall down something of that nature--but it transforms into something a little too dramatic and a little too intense. Although the movie is a little inconsistent and rather dark, I definitely suggest it to those who appreciate the bizarre. Overall, I was glad that I watched it, and I think others will feel the same if they don't mind the unreserved strangeness. This film is probably okay for most older teens, although there is a lot of bad language, sexual themes (including one fairly explicit, on-screen sex scene), and characters that are not best described as good role models.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynumberdomino April 9, 2008

This is a great movie for 15+ if they are mature. I would recommend this to people that like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind which is by the same director.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 14, 2013

Literally a trip!

"BJM" is one of the most bizarre movies I've ever seen, but its plot never got so muddled where you couldn't comprehend it, it was just so entrancing and surreal! For me the peak was Malkovich going into his own head, which made for an extremely memorable sequence. It's one of the most thoroughly original movies in memory, and a classic in its own right!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

I loved Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, so I thought I might as well check it out since it's by some of the same people. Unfortunately, I didn't like this one nearly as much. It deserves credit for being clever and original, and it has a couple of brilliant surreal scenes, but something about Being John Malkovich rubbed me the wrong way. All the characters were despicable and real creepy, and the whole movie was so cynical and bizarre that it soon became a little tiresome. Interesting, but not a very enjoyable film. I'd recommend Eternal Sunshine instead.