All member reviews for Bend It Like Beckham

Superb tale of a girl's struggle for her dreams.

Age

Parent of a 3, 5, and 11 year old Written byMcMac August 3, 2009

A great mother/daughter movie - opens the path to communication and discussions

As with many movies of this nature, my daughter and I watched it together. In doing this, we are able to discuss any situation or concept that appears which in-turn opens the lines of communication to what might be otherwise difficult for my daughter to ask. We both loved this movie and felt that the characters were great role models, not only in their emotions and lives, but in their desire to make their families happy, as well as themselves. We still watch it time and again and continue to discuss different ideas and concepts as my daughter grows older and has new questions. We still quote many lines from this movie, that would have otherwise been uncomfortable for my daughter; however, we were able to discuss them and now we joke about them!
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

This is a great movie for soccer players and everyone else!

This movie about a girl named Jess who loves soccer. The only problem is, her parents don't want her to! She sneaks out of the house in order to practice with her friend Jewel's team. Unfortunately, Jess's parents find out and Jess is banned from playing soccer! Then after watching Jess suffer, her dad finally lets her play in her big game on her sister's wedding day! She scores the winning goal and then gets an offer to play on the women's soccer team and go to college at Santa Clara. Jess gets really excited and goes to college there with her friend Jewels. To find out more about her adventures, go see this great movie!
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

A wonderful, funny and profound movie for everyone.

Good story, feel good movie with subtle points. Should appeal to all ethnic groups. Clever and solid characters.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... September 6, 2010

THE WORST MOVIE EVER! IT'S BORING, SUCKY! WHY? BECAUSE ITS TOO CHILDISH. THE GIRL JESS IS STUPID, SHE ACTS LIKE AN 8 YEAR OLD.
Adult Written byRajen April 9, 2008

An Indian "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" but with a much richer story

I loved this movie in so many ways! It was funny and playful and yet deep and thought provoking. It was a great Dad and daughter movie - a real departure from the stereotype of the rigid Indian father. It deals with the divided loyalties that 1st generation immigrant kids often face in wanting to be of two worlds - respectful of their cultural heritage but determined to make lives that are uniquely their own and different from their parents. The light touch that the Director uses in dealing with cultural and gender differences is wonderful. I took my 9 year old soccer-loving daughter to see it. I must admit there were moments in the film (kissing scene at a nightclub, a brief groping makeout scene in a car) when I squirmed because it felt a bit too mature for her, but all in all I'm glad we went.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 5, 2012

bend it like beckham

Families can talk about why Jess feels she cannot talk to her family about her love of sports and how she defends her subterfuge. How does her father's cricket experience impact his view of Jess' soccer playing? What might be the common bond between Irish Joe and Indian Jess?
Educator Written bycaffinegirl85 October 22, 2011

good movie

good movie 2 girls who play soccer i think its a good movie for teens tweens or even adults !
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byk9hunt March 16, 2009

Uplifting and engaging

This is a wonderful coming of age movie with interesting cultural aspects. It is well acted and is an excellent choice for young teen girls even if they don't play sports. Cast includes Kira Knightly.
Adult Written bylindaburch@eart... April 9, 2008

Fabulous movie for

Kid, 11 years old April 12, 2010

great movie about a girl that struggles to pursue her dreams

This is my FAVOURITE movie of all time very good, but it makes me want to play soccer everytime i see it.
Adult Written byaecdoglover April 9, 2008

Great Movie

Nonstop laughs and touching story. I saw this movie when I was 9 and immediatly bought it on video. How come Indian parents are always depicted as controlling and strict people? One of the best parts were when Jess' teammates were trying to figure out how to wear a sari.
Adult Written byaleyda April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written byPop_Philosophy June 19, 2015

Perfection

As a kid not many movies spoke seriously on topics such as tradition and homosexuality. This was the first movie I ever saw that took the relationships of the characters and didn't make it heteronormative. The sexuality of the characters was never immediately assumed to be straight and the stereotypes that define lesbian characters were not present. The take on family bonds and society's stance on women and there place was also interesting. Any child old enough to understand and grasp basic concepts should be free to watch this movie.
Written byAnonymous May 29, 2015

Great teens movie! rated PG-13 for violence.

My rating:PG-13 for sports violence and thematic material
Kid, 11 years old April 1, 2013

the best

i think its a good film that children from 10 could watch and well little parts of it children might get a bit ovewhelmed but in my oppion its the best film
Teen, 16 years old Written byRocknrollwriter4 June 1, 2012

Very good movie for the family! :)

I enjoyed watching the movie very much. I felt it was a great story rich in positive social values, like the importance of family, taking a stand for yourself, understanding other cultures, and the obstacles of love. The acting was fantastic as well. A good movie all around, entertainment (with a good message) for the whole family!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMissAmi December 29, 2011

Amazing movie for all the family!

tells a very possitive message!!! great for all ages!!! amazing fun!!! Great cast!!!! Recommend this movie for everyone!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlinaW. June 11, 2010

Great movie for the whole family!! And I mean GREAT!!

I just watched this movie with my family, including my parents and my 11 year old sister, and it was a HIT! It was a fabulous tale with spunky and positive female role models, enough sports and amazing soccer for any guy to like, and positive messages and feel good lines thrown in along the way. Jess is such an amazing character with a real passion for soccer, but is intelligent as well. While her parents want her to follow a traditional Indian path and go to school, and then get married and fatten up a husband and children, Jess wants to play soccer, or football as they call it in Britain. And when her parents crack down on her to go to university, Jess is offered the oppurtunity to play on a girls soccer team, the first time she's played besides at the park. The ending is great, maybe not very realistic, but heart-warming and touching, and really makes you think about parenting, passions, and doing the right thing. An amazing movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byemmaforeva2010 May 23, 2010

Great movie!!

I think it was very insperational for kids, because I know when I watched it I got inspired and started doing soccer. I am enjoying it very much!
Teen, 14 years old Written bysuper movie reviewer March 8, 2010

Bend it like Beckham is a wonderful story about a teenage indian girl whos dream is to play soccer. And when she plays soccer she wants to be and feel as good as Beckham a famouse soccer star. When her mother sees that her daughter is still playing soccer even though it is against there religion she bands her from playing soccer. Now this indian girl must find a way to live her dream without her mom finding out........ The movie was overall very good there was some very brief sexy content and talks about sex and homosexuals (lesbians). Also some people get drunk there also is some yelling and some strong themes. Also on top of that there is some pritty iffy language here and there. At the beggining the indian girl lyes to get her way and gets herself into trouble and unhappiness. But in the end she learns lying never solves problems and its not the way to make your dreams come true. I give this movie 4 stars and say that it is a bit iffy for 10 for some strong themes, language, and some sexy stuff that may be stretching the limit for some 10 year olds.