All member reviews for Bend It Like Beckham

Superb tale of a girl's struggle for her dreams.

Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

A wonderful, funny and profound movie for everyone.

Good story, feel good movie with subtle points. Should appeal to all ethnic groups. Clever and solid characters.
Parent of a 3, 5, and 11 year old Written byMcMac August 3, 2009

A great mother/daughter movie - opens the path to communication and discussions

As with many movies of this nature, my daughter and I watched it together. In doing this, we are able to discuss any situation or concept that appears which in-turn opens the lines of communication to what might be otherwise difficult for my daughter to ask. We both loved this movie and felt that the characters were great role models, not only in their emotions and lives, but in their desire to make their families happy, as well as themselves. We still watch it time and again and continue to discuss different ideas and concepts as my daughter grows older and has new questions. We still quote many lines from this movie, that would have otherwise been uncomfortable for my daughter; however, we were able to discuss them and now we joke about them!
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

This is a great movie for soccer players and everyone else!

This movie about a girl named Jess who loves soccer. The only problem is, her parents don't want her to! She sneaks out of the house in order to practice with her friend Jewel's team. Unfortunately, Jess's parents find out and Jess is banned from playing soccer! Then after watching Jess suffer, her dad finally lets her play in her big game on her sister's wedding day! She scores the winning goal and then gets an offer to play on the women's soccer team and go to college at Santa Clara. Jess gets really excited and goes to college there with her friend Jewels. To find out more about her adventures, go see this great movie!
Adult Written byRajen April 9, 2008

An Indian "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" but with a much richer story

I loved this movie in so many ways! It was funny and playful and yet deep and thought provoking. It was a great Dad and daughter movie - a real departure from the stereotype of the rigid Indian father. It deals with the divided loyalties that 1st generation immigrant kids often face in wanting to be of two worlds - respectful of their cultural heritage but determined to make lives that are uniquely their own and different from their parents. The light touch that the Director uses in dealing with cultural and gender differences is wonderful. I took my 9 year old soccer-loving daughter to see it. I must admit there were moments in the film (kissing scene at a nightclub, a brief groping makeout scene in a car) when I squirmed because it felt a bit too mature for her, but all in all I'm glad we went.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... September 6, 2010

THE WORST MOVIE EVER! IT'S BORING, SUCKY! WHY? BECAUSE ITS TOO CHILDISH. THE GIRL JESS IS STUPID, SHE ACTS LIKE AN 8 YEAR OLD.
Adult Written bylindaburch@eart... April 9, 2008

Fabulous movie for

Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 5, 2012

bend it like beckham

Families can talk about why Jess feels she cannot talk to her family about her love of sports and how she defends her subterfuge. How does her father's cricket experience impact his view of Jess' soccer playing? What might be the common bond between Irish Joe and Indian Jess?
Educator Written bycaffinegirl85 October 22, 2011

good movie

good movie 2 girls who play soccer i think its a good movie for teens tweens or even adults !
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byk9hunt March 16, 2009

Uplifting and engaging

This is a wonderful coming of age movie with interesting cultural aspects. It is well acted and is an excellent choice for young teen girls even if they don't play sports. Cast includes Kira Knightly.
Adult Written byaecdoglover April 9, 2008

Great Movie

Nonstop laughs and touching story. I saw this movie when I was 9 and immediatly bought it on video. How come Indian parents are always depicted as controlling and strict people? One of the best parts were when Jess' teammates were trying to figure out how to wear a sari.
Kid, 11 years old April 12, 2010

great movie about a girl that struggles to pursue her dreams

This is my FAVOURITE movie of all time very good, but it makes me want to play soccer everytime i see it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysuper movie reviewer March 8, 2010

Bend it like Beckham is a wonderful story about a teenage indian girl whos dream is to play soccer. And when she plays soccer she wants to be and feel as good as Beckham a famouse soccer star. When her mother sees that her daughter is still playing soccer even though it is against there religion she bands her from playing soccer. Now this indian girl must find a way to live her dream without her mom finding out........ The movie was overall very good there was some very brief sexy content and talks about sex and homosexuals (lesbians). Also some people get drunk there also is some yelling and some strong themes. Also on top of that there is some pritty iffy language here and there. At the beggining the indian girl lyes to get her way and gets herself into trouble and unhappiness. But in the end she learns lying never solves problems and its not the way to make your dreams come true. I give this movie 4 stars and say that it is a bit iffy for 10 for some strong themes, language, and some sexy stuff that may be stretching the limit for some 10 year olds.
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bykvirgin April 9, 2008

Fun to watch with teen boys and girls

I watched with my neices and nephews, and it was interesting to discuss afterward how young adult life differs by gender, culture and class. This movie provided lots of food for thought, and was lots of fun.
Adult Written bykaramba April 9, 2008

Clever Punjabi comedy set in London

Why are Punjabis so funny? After Monsoon Wedding, here is another wonderful comedy about a girl soccer player who fights heer parents to succeed. Hilarious at times, there are also a lot of pointed jokes at everyone's expense. Highly recommended, though probably for teenagers and not below unless my perceptions are out of line with today's kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviegeek April 9, 2008

AWESOME!

I HATE sports movies. And yet, I LOVE this movie. Strange? Not after you've seen it. It's so much more than just a sports movie because it has a whole different dimension and storyline. Also, any teenage girl will certainly appreciate Jonathan Rhys-Meyer as the coach. It is laugh-out-loud hilarious at times and you are so caught up in everything that happens and feel just as bad as Jess whenever something goes wrong. Rent it, or better yet, buy it! You'll love it!
Teen, 15 years old Written byPop_Philosophy June 19, 2015

Perfection

As a kid not many movies spoke seriously on topics such as tradition and homosexuality. This was the first movie I ever saw that took the relationships of the characters and didn't make it heteronormative. The sexuality of the characters was never immediately assumed to be straight and the stereotypes that define lesbian characters were not present. The take on family bonds and society's stance on women and there place was also interesting. Any child old enough to understand and grasp basic concepts should be free to watch this movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew May 29, 2015

Great teens movie! rated PG-13 for violence.

My rating:PG-13 for sports violence and thematic material
Kid, 11 years old November 4, 2014

Too overrated

Sex- 2 (Mild Sexual References) Language-2 (Mild Coarse Language)
Kid, 11 years old August 2, 2013

Risk it Like Beckham

This movie has a wonderful message about following your dreams, but it has drinking, smoking, language, and some risque romantic scenes.
Kid, 11 years old April 1, 2013

the best

i think its a good film that children from 10 could watch and well little parts of it children might get a bit ovewhelmed but in my oppion its the best film