Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Bend It Like Beckham

Superb tale of a girl's struggle for her dreams.

Parent of a 3, 5, and 11 year old Written byMcMac August 3, 2009

A great mother/daughter movie - opens the path to communication and discussions

As with many movies of this nature, my daughter and I watched it together. In doing this, we are able to discuss any situation or concept that appears which in-turn opens the lines of communication to what might be otherwise difficult for my daughter to ask. We both loved this movie and felt that the characters were great role models, not only in their emotions and lives, but in their desire to make their families happy, as well as themselves. We still watch it time and again and continue to discuss different ideas and concepts as my daughter grows older and has new questions. We still quote many lines from this movie, that would have otherwise been uncomfortable for my daughter; however, we were able to discuss them and now we joke about them!

Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

A wonderful, funny and profound movie for everyone.

Good story, feel good movie with subtle points. Should appeal to all ethnic groups. Clever and solid characters.
Adult Written bysss April 9, 2008

16&up

good movie, but it has a lot of sexual content.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byk9hunt March 16, 2009

Uplifting and engaging

This is a wonderful coming of age movie with interesting cultural aspects. It is well acted and is an excellent choice for young teen girls even if they don't play sports. Cast includes Kira Knightly.
Adult Written by[email protected] April 9, 2008
Adult Written byRajen April 9, 2008

An Indian "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" but with a much richer story

I loved this movie in so many ways! It was funny and playful and yet deep and thought provoking. It was a great Dad and daughter movie - a real departure from the stereotype of the rigid Indian father. It deals with the divided loyalties that 1st generation immigrant kids often face in wanting to be of two worlds - respectful of their cultural heritage but determined to make lives that are uniquely their own and different from their parents. The light touch that the Director uses in dealing with cultural and gender differences is wonderful. I took my 9 year old soccer-loving daughter to see it. I must admit there were moments in the film (kissing scene at a nightclub, a brief groping makeout scene in a car) when I squirmed because it felt a bit too mature for her, but all in all I'm glad we went.
Adult Written byaecdoglover April 9, 2008

Great Movie

Nonstop laughs and touching story. I saw this movie when I was 9 and immediatly bought it on video. How come Indian parents are always depicted as controlling and strict people? One of the best parts were when Jess' teammates were trying to figure out how to wear a sari.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byJames C. February 3, 2018

Inspiring and diverse, but slightly troubling coach-player relationship

Likable and engaging film which has good messages about girls in sports, and offers a humorous and occasionally touching portrait of a Sikh family in London. Some of the conflicts are a bit repetitive and the resolutions a bit pat, but nevertheless it's hard not to get caught up in the film. Only gripe is the romantic interest between the coach of the girls' team and his two star players, who are presumably 18 but not yet in university. Maybe this relationship is less strange in Britain -- are these girls even still in school? But from an American frame of reference we see a 25 year old coach falling for his high school age player (who at least shares his feelings). I watched it with my 9yo and on the plus side it gave us a chance to talk about how inappropriate this would be in real life. You could also easily skirt the issue because there's no explicit reference to the girls being in school and the lead actress is actually 2 years older than Jonathan Rhys Meyer, which is probably why this issue didn't even strike me the first time I saw the film. I think in the long run though it is best to educate kids about harassment and consent, and believe the film's message of female empowerment would have landed better had it not glamorized a romantic tryst between a teen and an authority figure.

Adult Written bycaffinegirl85 October 22, 2011

good movie

good movie 2 girls who play soccer i think its a good movie for teens tweens or even adults !

Adult Written bylovingmother54321 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byaleyda April 9, 2008
Adult Written byspacermom April 9, 2008

soccer rocker

i have played soccer since i can remember and i have never felt so connected to this movie jess deals with a hating cultural backround while where i live soccer is a boys game i also can not wait to see gracie!
Parent of a 9, 12, and 15 year old Written byKaren S September 17, 2017

Little bit of everything... comedy, girl power, Indian culture, foreign film for American audiences

I have seen this film twice and enjoyed it both times. I watched it this week paying careful attention to what age group it would work for and think 11+ is great, possibly even younger. I like the blend of everything mentioned in my title - the fashions, traditions, music of the Indian family plotline, and the friendship, sports and girlpower of the rest of the story. As warnings to other parents, I normally don't care that much about swearing in a movie, but the first scene had more language than I was expecting in this type of movie, as did some other scenes. The only sexual scenes are two kisses, and a scene where a car is rocking, then we see an engaged couple fully clothed who appear to have been seriously making out. In terms of whether the coach-player relationship is in appropriate for kids, it is mentioned early in the movie that it is not allowed for a coach to date a player, but the relationship in the movie seemed very natural to me, in part because the characters appeared to be close in age (Jess is supposed to be 18 or 19 but seems older, and the coach is 25ish). Also, only one kiss happens while he is her coach. The last warning about the movie is the two sisters repeatedly lie and sneak around to their parents which may bother some viewers. Yet, this child dream vs traditional parent is the central conflict of the movie so you have to know this will be part of the plot from the start. Ultimately, it's clear that the characters do love and respect each other, and are willing to sacrifice for the other. A fun, uplifting and funny movie.
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bykvirgin April 9, 2008

Fun to watch with teen boys and girls

I watched with my neices and nephews, and it was interesting to discuss afterward how young adult life differs by gender, culture and class. This movie provided lots of food for thought, and was lots of fun.
Adult Written bykaramba April 9, 2008

Clever Punjabi comedy set in London

Why are Punjabis so funny? After Monsoon Wedding, here is another wonderful comedy about a girl soccer player who fights heer parents to succeed. Hilarious at times, there are also a lot of pointed jokes at everyone's expense. Highly recommended, though probably for teenagers and not below unless my perceptions are out of line with today's kids.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byricharddkeith September 18, 2018

Parent of a 1 year old Written byHolly R. January 25, 2019

I liked this even though I'm not a soccer fan...

I liked this movie alot when I was a teenager. I have never been into soccer or any sport outside of martial arts (specifically Taekwondo) but I really enjoyed the movie alot. It has some funny parts but it's not appropriate for young children. Two of the girls fight over the affections of their male coach and it almost ruins their friendship but they work it out and it turns out good in the end. No one really gets the guy at the end and the focus is more on the girls becoming friends and bonding over soccer. The one Hindi (?) girl is forbidden by her parents to play soccer and is also shown to have a scar from a burn that makes her slightly self conscious. Another girl's mother thinks her daughter is a lesbian just because she plays sports, even though she isn't. And one of the characters male friends is gay but he is also a very likable character. A great movie for older preteens and teenagers regardless of whether they like sports or not. There's also a drinking scene if I remember correctly so I am marking drinking and there is language since this is a PG-13.

Adult Written byAps September 30, 2018

Good For Familys

Great role models for everyone and no violence ,Brilliant film