All member reviews for Big Fish

Delightful, sad father-son story for teens and up.

Kid, 12 years old March 24, 2010

This movie is INCREDIBLE! Tim Burton is at his best, it is just soo good! It's imaginative, dark, beautiful and touching all at the same time, a tale of love, death, fantasy, and everything else! It's great, but there is some brief backside nudity on a female, some mild swearing (nothing to worry about) and some violence which could be scary to littlies. An imaginative yet mature fantasy film with a great cast including Ewan McGregor and Marion Cotillard, I LOVE THIS MOVIE, and many other people with a similar interest in films should too!
Kid, 11 years old November 14, 2009

One of m favorite movies... Great Movie...
Teen, 17 years old Written byElmoRock3113 April 9, 2008

Incredible!

Tim Burton is a genius. His imagination is never-ending. I enjoyed this movie so much. There is some sexual references and brief nudity but nothing too explicit. Some language but it didn't make the movie less enjoyable. I recommend this movie to anyone.
Kid, 10 years old May 3, 2012

"Big Fish" is a big hit!

"Big Fish" is a big hit! Tim Burton's wonderful drama/love story is an iffy choice for kids 12 and up. This film delivers brief nudity of a women's and man's rear. The language is tame except for a few uses of the "b" word, "idiot", "dam", and "ass". Some scary moments are implied throughout the film and there is a little bit of drinking. In the end, "Big fish is a touching film and is and iffy choice for ages 12 and up.
Parent Written byrolemodel March 2, 2013

Big Fish for older viewers (great movie though!)

Big Fish is a wonderful movie but for older family members. There is some brief nudity, naked mermaid shown from the back, then an underwater scene with a brief naked woman swimming by. There area a few swear words (b*tich, sh*t) but if you do watch if with younger kids there is a reference to the fact that Santa Claus & the Easter Bunny is fake. If you have young children that would be difficult to explain. The movie is magical, a fantasy and goes back in forth in time, from the father's viewpoint of telling tall tales to his son's cynical views of his father and his childhood despite how loving his dad was. It speaks to imagination, to living life big, to marriage, family, and dreaming big dreams. Overall the movie is fantastic but geared to at least those 13 and above.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

Great movie. Nothing risque about it. Enjoy.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCaesar_12219 April 9, 2008

This is by far one of the most moving and beautiful movies that I have seen in my life. It tells, to put it briefly, the tale of a son coming to terms with his dad, and how sometimes the legend is more important than the straight facts. The most moving scene comes at the end, when the son goes to his father's funeral, and finds that, after all, the tales that are recounted throughout the movie are true. There are the twins, though not Siamese, the giant, though perhaps not quite so tall as he imagined, and all of the other characters, major or minor, "real" or imagined. This is movie-making at its finest.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

An Imaginative and Fun Fairy Tale

I love Tim Burton, and Big Fish may just be my favorite movie of his. It's a great mix of fantasy and humor with a heart. As far as content goes, well, it shows Danny DeVito's butt. That was fairly disturbing. Besides that there's not much objectionable content.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byGlobal Dad November 1, 2014

Little ones might get scared or confused on some scenes.

Lead character get beat up a few times, shot by a gun, attacked by a werewolf, and other scenes that made my 5 year old little girl cringe. Great fantasy movie. Just be ready to cover little ones eyes on some parts. Anyone over 8 years old would like it. Even though the story lines might encourage questions about what or why something happened.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjxvk22 August 10, 2014

Completely surprised me!

When my mom got this movie, I thought I really wasn't going to like it. Minutes into the movie I was hooked. This movie is about a father, who has a rocky relationship with his son, that has bad cancer. The father is telling his son's wife about his life, but in a twisted fantastical version, with witches, giants, and impossible wonders, making everything amazing. This movie covers the fathers whole life in this fantasy way. There is some nudity, but nothing worse that some peolples' bottoms.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBow.Ties.Are.Cool July 27, 2014

Makes me cry everytime

This is probably one of my favorite movies. Nothing about the movie is really inappropriate (in my personal opinion), there may be hints of inappropriate stuff but nothing your 12 year old or even younger cant handle. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry and just flat out make you feel good. The movie is also a romance (for all those romantics out there).The only problem is that it may be a little (very little) dragging for younger audiences.
Adult Written bywonder dove May 11, 2013

Heartfelt fantasy for 11+!

I saw Big Fish recently, even though I've owned it for years but never bothered to view it. I like Tim Burton, but this wasn't as quirky and exciting as his other films. I liked the atmosphere throughout, the characters were very likable and the story is heartfelt. I liked the "make believe" tone of the movie with lots of fantasy stories told. However, I can't say it's Tim's best like a lot of others believe. I'm not sure kids would understand this one, it does make you think and you must follow the story from beginning to end as it goes back and forth in time throughout the whole thing. I would watch this again sometime. Language is very mild. Violence is tame but deals with illness and death which some may be sensitive to, also a scene where a character gets beat up and also some arguing of family members. No real sexual content to worry about except for brief backside nudity and mild kissing. Some drinking but not much. Cute for teens 11 and up, but more suitable to the older crowd (in terms of understanding the story).
Kid, 11 years old December 28, 2011

My favorite movie

This movie is soooo not "teens and up" This has been my favorite movie since I was 7. Every single time we trips I watch this in the car. This movie is perfectly appropriate for little children its just that they may not understand the real meaning of it. This is a wonderful movie! You have to go see it.
Kid, 10 years old February 19, 2011

My Big Fish Review

A moving story. But I found that it can be a bit confusing in some bits of it. I would recommend it to anyone between 10 and 10000!
Kid, 12 years old February 13, 2011

Good movie
Kid, 12 years old August 25, 2010

AWSOME MOVIE!! BRAVO!

3 days ago my mom rented me this movie and she said i would like it so we watched it and it was amazing! Its great for tweens and teens!
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 April 24, 2010

Easily one of Burton's best

Among his directed, non-Depp colloborations, like "Beetlejuice" and "Batman," Burton gives us another weird but really visually amazing story about a man who's led so many tall-tales he's gotten lost in them. Great for Burton fans, but also great for fans of cinema, who just like being entertained with a great script.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydanielauo April 8, 2010

the best movie for starters, kids, teens, and adults

I dont remember the movie having something linked to sex. Im 15 and I saw it like 3 years ago and I looved it because it was super entertaining and it didnt have bad messages. Ive seen it around 4 times and I dont get bored. It makes you think about life and you dont even notice it. I fully recommend it
Teen, 14 years old Written byPoison Ivey November 22, 2009

oh god, the end made me cry...

***contains spoilers*** I read the book and the movie was even better! I liked Big Fish because it's one of those stories where you make up the ending. you could say that Will finally understood his father's love of storytelling, and thats who he was, or you could say the ending was a made up story and Edward's stoires were all lies. I just loved it! There is nudity, but you couldn't possibly be offended by it, none of it being sexual in any manner. and there are some kids who cuss, which I was suprised by but hey life happens. i think this movie is even more memorable than Forrest Gump. Full of inspirational quotes. I highly recomend it for elven and up!
Parent of a 3, 5, and 8 year old Written byClear Air Turbulence September 29, 2009