All member reviews for Big Miracle

Animal-rescue tale has one death but otherwise OK for kids.

Parent of a 7 year old Written bycaribbeandream February 3, 2012

Great family movie

My family saw a sneak preview of this movie last week. The theater was packed with people who laughed out loud, cried openly and literally stood up and clapped when the movie ended. My only criticism is that they could have done without the two "holy crap" right at the beginning of the movie. Even my son gasped because they were so out of context and completely unnecessary. Otherwise, this is a great family movie.
Parent Written byParent2Parent July 2, 2012

Awesome!!

Great movie! A true story that kids and adults should see, Inspiring!
Parent Written bycapecrazy February 10, 2012

Nice movie; could have done without the language

This was a really nice movie that our kids loved but we did feel the gratuitous use of "bastards" and "holy crap" and "hell" were completely unnecessary in what would otherwise be a really nice family film.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bycatcooperno February 23, 2012

Not really for kids

I liked this movie, but I took my 12 year old boy, 9 year old daughter and her 8 year old friend, and they didn't really get most of it. There's not much in it for them. I think my son liked the tween boy--wish he had a bigger part. There's so much politics and history and adults trying to get along with each other. It's just not really for kids. It's not going to harm them, but they may not enjoy it much. Plus, (SPOILER!) my girls were not prepared for what happened to the baby whale. Really, I wasn't either, not knowing the story in advance and having NO warning from the previews! Be careful with this one.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 11 year old Written bypeanutmom2001 February 19, 2012

Too much language...

I wish this was better than it was, but honestly, when my 8 year old son keeps asking me why there is so much language in the movie when he is usually the one pushing boundaries in our family, I have to say it made it not worth recommending. To the individual who said I should know better because it was rated PG - I would have thought that was because of the death of Bam Bam and maybe one or two swear words. Not the constant barrage of hell's and more throughout. Also, the whales popping out of the water every other minute while looking extremely fake made it really hard to concentrate on the plot of the film. I had no emotional attachment to the fake whales whatsoever. Best scenes in the film were the ones that were underwater.
Parent Written byangela2678 February 12, 2012

Loved Big Miracle!

My 10-year-old daughter and I loved this movie! I agree that the language wasn't necessary, but it also wasn't that frequent. I tend to be VERY conservative about what my kids see, and I wasn't really concerned about the language. I disliked the scene in which a reporter was visibly drunk (and referred to herself as such), but that was the only scene in which drinking was a factor. We were SHOCKED that there was an animal death--we totally assumed it was going to be happily-ever-after. My daughter cried (but so did I!). Some of the topics were "adult," but not in an inappropriate way--they were just over her head. Things like the relationship with the Soviet Union, for example, or the political tensions happening in the presidential campaigns--she didn't understand that, but it's not like it was inappropriate. There were also some clever points throughout--be sure to check out a cameo by someone in the last scene! During the credits, they show real footage from the time (similar to how Dolphin Tale was done), and that was a nice touch. Overall the movie was funny, sweet, and less predictable/cheesy than you'd think. It had a sweet message about standing up for what you believe in and how we can accomplish big things if we all work together. We loved it.
Parent Written byKayaKit June 2, 2012

Good movie, but death is too hard to take

My 7-year-old daughter loved the movie until Bam-Bam died. If we had known the baby whale died, we wouldn't have let her watch it. That was too much for her.
Kid, 12 years old May 8, 2012

AM

PG For Peril, Violence, Scary Images, Rude Humor, And Some Mild Stong Language
Kid, 8 years old March 3, 2012

what I like about the movie

4 weeks ago I and my mom went to watch this movie and it is a very good movie. But in the movie on the end it does not connect to the middle because in the middle it said “the whales can’t stay in the water too long or they will die.” But when the whales got scared they ran away to far and whales need to go all the way back under the water but they did not die.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDream_On_Dreamer March 11, 2013

I L<3ve Whales

This movie is about 2 whales and 1 calf that are stuck in the middle of a frozen ocean in Alaska. The Whales end up having a hard time surviving through all that the people are trying to do, to help save them. This story about the whales goes world wide and every reporter is there in Alaska trying to get the big scoop. This movie is very inspiration and has lots of good role models, and it has a good point about saving Netherlands animals on earth, so we can save the world! :D
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac6 March 11, 2013

Save the whales!!!!!!

This movie is a very good movie with a positive message. This movie shows that we should stand up for what we believe in. I think it is a great movie and it's great for all ages.I would recommend this movie to most ages and would recommend this for a family movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygingi58 March 4, 2013

big miracle

this movie is very inspirational. it is a very good movie i recomend it to every family there are only a couple violent parts but other than that its a great movie. this movie tells alot about being brave and standing up for what you believe in it also shows that u can do anything you put your mind even if its saving a pod of whales
Teen, 13 years old Written bymovielover7271 February 19, 2013

Inspiring but some language

Big Miracle is a fun and inspiring tale of tons of news reporters who travel to Barrow, Alaska to broadcast the news of a family of three whales stuck under water with ice about to freeze over in a few days. It may seem like a perfectly ok film for kids but there is a lot of language. My self being a teen was suprised. The scene where SPOILER ALERTS: Bam Bam the whale dies and the man in the helicopters eye froze shut may give the young ones a scare. Other than that, a perfect film.
Teen, 13 years old Written byironkid21 November 16, 2012

A very entertaining saving the whale movie that isn't too over dramatic despite one really tough scene

Maybe it's just me but i find it ironic that the first time i saw the trailer for this movie was last year when i saw a really similar movie, the sweet and loveable "Dolphin Tale". I thought this was just a rip-off of that movie but now that i watched it to my surprise it isn't. This is a really entertaining, fun, and sweet movie with a surprising level of comedy. The only thing i was mad about was something really sad but i'm not gonna say. Overall, i know you've been mistaking that this is an overly dramatic rip-off of "Dolphin Tale" but don't let the trailer fool you. 8+ (if they can handle one sad scene).
Teen, 16 years old Written byTotally500 June 24, 2012

Big Miracle is chessy but good

i think this is a fine movie gret message and great story looks cheesy though but good movie
Parent Written bygetmeparu February 27, 2012

Good story with some good moments.

Great story, nice blend of non-fictional events and some Hollywood embellishments. My 7 year old daughter enjoyed, said there were both sad and happy parts and seemed to understand that problems can be resolved when people work together and that even parties from different perspectives can shares resources for the greater good.
Adult Written bySTRIDER9 April 7, 2013

Good

A great movie with a tearjerking part in it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byClancyR March 11, 2013

A+ amazing movie

Big miracle is about. Three whales trapped under the ice in Alaska have a small hole int the ice to breath through. Some people in a local village find them and plan to kill them for food. A Greenpeace lady stops them and makes a big deal about it. The villagers agree to help save the whales and it turns into a national deal. I can't tell you what happens but you will love the movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJoshua Kudart March 11, 2013

Save the whales!

This movie was very touching and suspenseful. Two whales were found trapped at the only air hole In 5 miles and it is freezing over this is about as all group of people that soon attracts a large group of people including the press, tourist, and they all work together to keep the hole from freezing over, and to save the whales. I enjoyed this movie very much. I would recommend this to all of my friends.
Teen, 13 years old Written byB-Capps22 March 11, 2013

Whales

This movie is about three whales who are trapped under the ice in Alaska. Then people do everything they can to save them. This movie shows that animals or people should all be treated as the same and we should not abuse watch other or animals. I would rate this a 4/5 stars.