Animal-rescue tale has one death but otherwise OK for kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written bydeJong March 11, 2013

Green peace

This was an ok movie. It tells a story about people coming together to try to save whales. It has a positive message but is a little save the trees. There is one really passionate kiss at the end that might be a little inappropriate for children. SPOILER ALERT! There is one death in this movie and it might be traumatic for children. There is also some language. S**** is about the worst of it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAnnieC March 11, 2013

Big miracle review

Big Miracle is about three gray whales trapped in ice and how media throughout the world helps them. The media causes the whole U.S. to fall in love with them and causes some powerful people to help get them out. I thought the main woman went to huge extremes to save three whales when there about thirty wars happening at the same time. The world view is that media can cause people to to do extreme things and that we should take care of animals in the world. Also, if you believe in yourself and your cause you can do anything. It wasn't my favorite movie, but overall it was good.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymkohler March 11, 2013

Great

This was a good movie about three whales. It showed the changes of people's attitudes towards each other and towards life and the environment. It was good and had informal facts and details about what happened. They all learned about the culture and about whales. I liked how it was suspenseful and how all the people worked together for something they wanted. It shows how media can be powerful in helping something you believe in.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byannabelle1970 February 16, 2013

definitely NOT 'a few' exclamations

The movie itself was fine. Nothing great by any means. As my children get older, I have come to depend on Common Sense Media to help educate myself on movies and other media. CSM really missed the boat on this one. (ha! no pun intended) I usually also read parent reviews but obviously did not on this one. My bad on that. From the CSM review I expected mild language. Not to hear 'what the hell...' 10 or so times. I am normally pretty strict on not letting the my children watch movies with inappropriate language. They commented that they could not believe I let them watch it. And I could not believe it every time I heard 'hell' another time! So, if language is a sticking point for you, heed the warnings on these reviews. It is NOT just a few exclamations. It is fairly prevalent.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byjustaddlaughter September 24, 2012

An actual movie without mega-special effects! A+

Mild language (as mentioned in the summary above). My 7 year old was able to keep her attention during the entire movie (odd for her if there's no talking animals, CGI, animation, music or dancing), and asked questions about what was happening. The emotional drama of it was hard on her, but we brought it around to the Circle of Life (everything can be turned into a Disney reference in my house) and how that's just how nature works sometimes. She understood it was based on a real story, and I actually would like to find more information for her about whales and migration, as well as news articles about this incident.
Adult Written byJEDI micah September 15, 2012

Is it me, or is this movie similar to Dolphin Tale?!

This is a one of those movies that people usually see once and probably won't want to watch again. I'm not saying that this movie is bad, though. It makes a great movie for the family, although there is one sad scene and a couple of cursing. It can even send an interest to kids about marine life (if they are that interested). In my opinion, this movie is best saved for renting it from Redbox. But if you suddenly became a complete fanatic about this movie, then, by all means, go ahead and waste your money on it!
Kid, 12 years old June 25, 2012

good movie.

i have seen it and its a pretty good movie, it hit box office. ut has good morals about saving animals and the acting is pretty good.
Kid, 11 years old May 6, 2012

Big Miracle

It's a great movie, but my friends and I saw it and when the whale died we were all crying and then the Eskimo started singing and we were the only people in the theater who cracked up..... fuuunnnyyy
Parent Written bygetmeparu February 27, 2012

Good story with some good moments.

Great story, nice blend of non-fictional events and some Hollywood embellishments. My 7 year old daughter enjoyed, said there were both sad and happy parts and seemed to understand that problems can be resolved when people work together and that even parties from different perspectives can shares resources for the greater good.
Parent Written byMovie_Mom February 20, 2012

Almost Wholesome Whale Story

A very good film based on a true story. I found language was an issue(why must they do this all the time to good movies??), and the drunken reporter was not necessary, but we discussed these things. It is probably worse than they see/hear in primetime tv when away from home. All of my kids(ages 9, 13 and 16) enjoyed this movie, and we were all moved by the loss experienced. Nicely handled on the environmental issues brought to light, although I seriously doubt it was that easily handled during that time. I liked the clips and pics shown at the end during the credits too - nice touch.
Kid, 11 years old February 18, 2012

May insprire kids. Tells kids that even though you're just one person,you can still make a difference.

There's not much drugs involved,not much sex,plenty of educational stuff and positive messages,and even good role models. I think kids 7 and older will enjoy this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow February 14, 2012

Nice for kids

I watched this movie in the theater and it was nice, but the "true story" elements were kind of ruined by unnecessary Hollywood cheese. Also (SPIOLER ALERT) the death of Bam-Bam was very upsetting and unfortunate. But it was still a good movie.
Adult Written bynew man February 6, 2012

well

i have not seen thiis movie yet but am noticeng some complaints about language well this movie is rated pg not g and other parents need to keep in mnd mabey before going to see the movie
Adult Written bybluucantu February 5, 2012

Cussing over the top...

It seemed like whoever wrote the script was trying to see how many times they could use the word, "hell". I didn't count but my guesstimation was about 10 times. It's a movie for kids, why is it necessary to add these things? The drunk reporter wasn't necessary either..If they would have left some of things out it would have been a perfectly good movie. A tear-jeaker.
Parent Written byrhonda96 February 4, 2012

a great movie but says "holy crap"

an amazing movie i loved it so did my 15 and 11 year old daughters my only complaint is that is says holy crap and i really don't allow my kids to say that but overall, it's a good movie