All member reviews for Big

Wonderful story with some very mature material.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion July 28, 2010

What were they thinking?

The only reason I watched BIG in the first place is because it was marketed as a family classic by countless people, including Common Sense. In this case, everyone got that wrong. This is a stupid, low-quality, somewhat perverted movie about a 13 year-old who grows up after wishing on a crummy carnival machine. There's your plot. What Common Sense doesn't tell you is that this kid (Josh), has sex at age 13 with a woman who is probably in her 30s. Even though Josh looks like an adult, he still has the maturity of a 13 year-old, and the whole romance part of the plot struck me as twisted and innapropriate. Even when it is revealed that Josh is only 13, the woman who is slept with seems to have no problem with it. In addition, kids say the "f" word, "s**t", "d**n", and take the Lord's name in vain frequently. Lastly, the movie is poorly made, with a strange lead performance (Hanks acts like he's 5, not 13), a terrible script, and poor direction. Keep this movie away from your family and yourself. You won't enjoy it.
Educator and Parent of a 12 and 13 year old Written byBibliomaniac Mom September 12, 2009

Hilarity laced with adult situations

Great 80's movie, but I'd forgotten about the language and sexuality. I watched this recently with my 12 and 13 year olds, and they got to watch Tom Hanks act in his geniusly hilarious way, but they also got to see Tom Hanks exploring Elizabeth Perkins' breast, as a boy, for the first time. I tried to look at the scene from their perspective- young t(w)eens who are curious about how sexuality and love are expressed, and what this scene can teach them. Not a bad message, except that the characters, as usual, immediately hop into bed. One of the biggest messages Hollywood tells our kids is that foreplay ALWAYS leads to intercourse. That's not the main message I want my daughters to receive, and I hope it wasn't. I hope what they received was an evening full of laughter, which is what was intended.
Teen, 13 years old Written byiNSPiRED February 20, 2011

Ugh!

I was extremely disgusted when the main character watched his girlfriend take off her shirt, and turned off the bedroom light. Before that scene, a few suggestive jokes were mentioned, and swearing, beer, and other unnecessary comments/actions took place.
Adult Written byDadofThree April 9, 2008

Sweet and funny for grownups

Big is a wonderful, nostalgia-tinged comedy that adults will like better than teens. Much of the humor can only be appreciated with distance from youth. Fair number of swear words and one F-bomb, dropped by a 12 year old, which is why the film really isn't suited for kids under 13...and younger viewers won't laugh at Big anyway. One pretty suggestive romantic scene.
Kid, 10 years old May 25, 2010

Violence (G): The Zoltar machine may be scary to younger audiences. Sexual Content (PG): Josh puts his hands down Susan's blouse, then Susan seduces him. Language (PG): s--t g-ddamn one use of f--k Drugs/Tobacco/Alchohol (G): Susan smokes, Josh drinks some beer.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEricCarrRulez February 20, 2011

Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp April 8, 2011

Good movie... not sure I'd watch it again, but I enjoyed it.

Suggested MPAA Rating: PG-13 for language including brief strong language, crude humor, some sexuality, and some smoking.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMr581 July 26, 2009

Parent of a 1, 3, 8, and 10 year old Written byJacobyShaddix32 November 27, 2009

Good movei

Good movie
Adult Written byjacobw82 May 3, 2010

DEFINITELY NOT A PG MOVIE!!! PG-13 AT BEST!

Tom Hanks grabs a girl's breast, makes plenty of sexual innuendos, and references alcohol. The F-word is dropped in this movie and God's name is taken in vain twice. As soon as that happened the second time, we killed the movie. There were other cursewords and sexual contents... My question is, HOW IN THE WORLD WAS THIS RATED PG!?!?!?
Kid, 10 years old August 18, 2010

love it

great movie classic just skip the you know what part and youll be fine every kid should watch this
Kid, 11 years old October 1, 2009

not bad, not bad. haven't seen it in years so don't trust me too much.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySoccercrazyteen September 6, 2009

ok

its ok its like 13 going on 30 with a guy....
Kid, 11 years old July 30, 2009

Kid, 10 years old March 8, 2011

Kid, 12 years old May 3, 2010

One good movie!
Kid, 10 years old July 24, 2010

good movie

not very rude or anything but a few s-words and one f-word but its said really fast. some mild sexual refrences thats about it. 10+
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bySuperParent September 7, 2009

tom hanks you pervert!

its a good movie, but for some odd reason, a kid blurts out a f-word, and tom hanks grabs a girl's boobies... i don't know what the heck that was for, but who cares reccomend it for all ages
Kid, 11 years old July 27, 2009

A little mature, but fab!

Well, I saw this movie in class (we were writing movie reviews) and everyone was 9-12. There was only 1 9 and 1 10 year old. I felt really sorry for them when the shirt came off, and also about the joke about him being "on top". Luckily, the rest of us were mature enough to watch sit through "the scene" (which is what we called it) and burst out laughing at the joke. I personally thought that this was one of the best movies I have ever seen, but be aware that children under 12 may not appreciate the whole movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008