All member reviews for Big

Wonderful story with some very mature material.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion July 28, 2010

What were they thinking?

The only reason I watched BIG in the first place is because it was marketed as a family classic by countless people, including Common Sense. In this case, everyone got that wrong. This is a stupid, low-quality, somewhat perverted movie about a 13 year-old who grows up after wishing on a crummy carnival machine. There's your plot. What Common Sense doesn't tell you is that this kid (Josh), has sex at age 13 with a woman who is probably in her 30s. Even though Josh looks like an adult, he still has the maturity of a 13 year-old, and the whole romance part of the plot struck me as twisted and innapropriate. Even when it is revealed that Josh is only 13, the woman who is slept with seems to have no problem with it. In addition, kids say the "f" word, "s**t", "d**n", and take the Lord's name in vain frequently. Lastly, the movie is poorly made, with a strange lead performance (Hanks acts like he's 5, not 13), a terrible script, and poor direction. Keep this movie away from your family and yourself. You won't enjoy it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byiNSPiRED February 20, 2011

Ugh!

I was extremely disgusted when the main character watched his girlfriend take off her shirt, and turned off the bedroom light. Before that scene, a few suggestive jokes were mentioned, and swearing, beer, and other unnecessary comments/actions took place.
Educator and Parent of a 12 and 13 year old Written byBibliomaniac Mom September 12, 2009

Hilarity laced with adult situations

Great 80's movie, but I'd forgotten about the language and sexuality. I watched this recently with my 12 and 13 year olds, and they got to watch Tom Hanks act in his geniusly hilarious way, but they also got to see Tom Hanks exploring Elizabeth Perkins' breast, as a boy, for the first time. I tried to look at the scene from their perspective- young t(w)eens who are curious about how sexuality and love are expressed, and what this scene can teach them. Not a bad message, except that the characters, as usual, immediately hop into bed. One of the biggest messages Hollywood tells our kids is that foreplay ALWAYS leads to intercourse. That's not the main message I want my daughters to receive, and I hope it wasn't. I hope what they received was an evening full of laughter, which is what was intended.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008
Adult Written byjacobw82 May 3, 2010

DEFINITELY NOT A PG MOVIE!!! PG-13 AT BEST!

Tom Hanks grabs a girl's breast, makes plenty of sexual innuendos, and references alcohol. The F-word is dropped in this movie and God's name is taken in vain twice. As soon as that happened the second time, we killed the movie. There were other cursewords and sexual contents... My question is, HOW IN THE WORLD WAS THIS RATED PG!?!?!?
Teen, 14 years old Written byethanct86 October 12, 2015

Funny, and a well deserved Oscar nomination for Hanks

Probably one of the best child movies ever, this one can be enjoyed by older children as there are some content worries. Hilarious and childlike, but at the same time sad and moving, guaranteed, the story is its first, which was written by Steven Spielberg's sister.. This is also where the memorable large floor piano duet originated from. Tom Hanks (2-time Oscar winner) is Josh Baskin. WARNING: This PG rating is not the same as the nowadays PG-family friendly PG. Language: 1 f---, 7 g-dd--n, 1 a--h-l-, 1 b-st--d, 1-s--- and a couple of d--- and h---. 2 child characters talk about a womans breasts. A woman comes over to the main character's apartment one night, and verbally implies "sleepover" with him. He does not understand and assumes "sleepover" and says he gets "to be on top" (he refers to the top bunk). She is in bed waiting with only a large shirt and no leg covering, and it is unclear if she has any under garments . He does get on the top bunk and nothing done. Some sensual/sexual scenes (and some kissing).
Teen, 13 years old Written byEricCarrRulez February 20, 2011
Kid, 11 years old July 30, 2009
Parent of a 2 year old Written byLINDSEY76 April 30, 2009
Teen, 17 years old Written byJackalope March 19, 2015

They grow up so fast...

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's smart, it's funny, and Hanks does a really good job at being a young kid. Something parents should be on the lookout for is some sexual situations. Of course Josh is going to be interested in sex; he is only thirteen, after all. But this is amplified by the fact that he's working with a beautiful woman that finds him attractive. At one point in the movie, Josh goes to the woman's house, and they start kissing, and the woman takes her shirt off. Nothing graphic is seen, but she's in her bra and obviously okay with it. And then, curious little Josh grabs her breast, and the rest is alluded to in the following scene. Something else parents need to know is that language is pretty common throughout the film. Josh and Billy both use bad language; Billy even says f**k at one point. But it's not in the context of "bad words are fun to say"; rather, it's kind of a turning point in the growing up of these two young boys. John Heard's character has a pretty colorful vocabulary, too, and it's used pretty commonly. Some sexual humor exists, too, with John Lovitz explaining promiscuity to a naive, newly adult Josh. All in all, Big is an excellent film that shows that it's okay to unleash your inner kid, even when the going gets tough. Parents can talk about what it means to be a kid, and why you should never give that part of yourself up.
Parent Written byteach peace July 15, 2014
Very 80s. Surprised that Common Sense didn't see the consumerism in Pepsi, Canada Dry, or Pizza Hut. Our family of three (2 adults and a 12-year-old boy) liked discussing the three questions Common Sense posed.
Written byAnonymous December 20, 2012

If they don't do it. I'm testing if they Re-Rate in 2013.

MPAA the PG-13 came out in 1984 why not use it to rate it in 1988. ...and guess what they use a PG. Yeah it's one of MPAA's tricks to rate this movie. The Sexual Content for a PG and he grabs the girl boobs. This movies an EPIC FAIL then. Oh my PG-13. ...and should not be watch by people younger then 13 Years Old. I Hope MPAA Re-rates this Movie in 2013 under PG-13.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bySuperParent September 7, 2009

tom hanks you pervert!

its a good movie, but for some odd reason, a kid blurts out a f-word, and tom hanks grabs a girl's boobies... i don't know what the heck that was for, but who cares reccomend it for all ages
Kid, 11 years old July 27, 2009

A little mature, but fab!

Well, I saw this movie in class (we were writing movie reviews) and everyone was 9-12. There was only 1 9 and 1 10 year old. I felt really sorry for them when the shirt came off, and also about the joke about him being "on top". Luckily, the rest of us were mature enough to watch sit through "the scene" (which is what we called it) and burst out laughing at the joke. I personally thought that this was one of the best movies I have ever seen, but be aware that children under 12 may not appreciate the whole movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written by19wyatted November 8, 2015

Incredible Classic

This movie is an excellent view into every child's wish of wanting to be older than they really are. The main character, Josh Baskins, is delved into the world of sexuality, business, and some violence, and even if he gets used to it he might just realize he is biting off more than he can chew in this 80s classic movie. The f-word is used once.
Kid, 10 years old July 23, 2014

Good movie!

This is a great movie,it is some mild sexual stuff, but thats not so much. You can totally watch this with your kid! It can be really funny like: that they are dancing on the big piano, or that the boy wake up and he is a man:) This is a really great movie, two adults is smoking, it is some drinking on a party, but i don't think that mind the kids so much:)
Kid, 10 years old March 8, 2011
Parent of a 1, 3, 8, and 10 year old Written byJacobyShaddix32 November 27, 2009

Good movei

Good movie
Teen, 13 years old Written bySoccercrazyteen September 6, 2009

ok

its ok its like 13 going on 30 with a guy....
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 August 14, 2009

Another amazing Hanks film

You REALLY believe that Hanks really is a kid stuck in an adult's body. The acting is superb and the laughs are very high without being graphic. Plus it's got a great message about enjoying being a kid while you can. They need to make more movies like "Big" nowadays, but sadly nothing can be funny without being R-rated.