Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Bird Box

Violent sci-fi thriller has chaos, gory deaths, swearing.

Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byDylan1226 January 3, 2019

Not for kids on any level...

My 12-year-old came home from school yesterday after the Christmas Break and said that everybody at school was talking about this movie and how great it was. I watched it last night and while it's not a terrible film, it's nothing we should be showing our children of any age. My sons are 12 and 11 and I don't have a problem showing them R-rated movies. I like films where they show people acting as heroes and they've seen Predator, Terminator 2, Die Hard etc... The plot of Bird Box is that people see something horrific and then immediately commit suicide. There are countless scenes of people walking in front of cars, hanging themselves, shooting themselves, slitting their own throats and wrists... It's horrifying. The cast is good, most notably Sandra Bullock and John Malkovich and I get why people want to see it, especially since we can watch for free on Netflix. But nothing good comes out of seeing this movie. It's bleak, it's dark, it's ridiculously violent. I would not say that it glorifies suicide, but it portrays it in a way that I would not be comfortable showing kids of any age. My kids certainly will not be watching this movie ever.

Adult Written bylogansvn December 24, 2018

Super graphic, but great movie!

Really entertaining, but not that scary, just very thrilling! The movie is gory throughout and you see it up close and personal. There is a sex scene for literally two seconds and you barely see anything, so in that aspect of the movie, it is not too bad. Movie over all was fantastic and you're at the edge of your seat for almost the whole movie.

Adult Written byCheech27 December 29, 2018

Didn’t explain anything

It starts out pretty good and has great parts but doesn’t ever get around to explain what happened or have a satisfying resolution. Also, it has one naked sex scene which is brief and swears frequently which didn’t add anything to the movie. I wanted to like it more than I did. Definitely not a movie for children.

Adult Written by1craig4u January 1, 2019

Bird Box

Between 1 to 5 rating, in my opinion a 3 is fair. Opening story line was well done;; an unknown doomsday scenario. Social climate; interracial relationship developed under the circumstances. You got to team up to survive, this only makes good since. Boy, Girl Characters was a bit cold and detached; Sandra seemed well into roll but show a willingness to sacrifice her life for their safety. To wrap your hands around this one, make such there's nothing else to do. I watch it 3:00AM when insomnia had the best of me.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byF. P. December 30, 2018

One Very Short Sex Scene around 35:00 mark

Not really scary as much creepy. As noted there is gore, language and one 2 second sex scene around the 35:00 mark.
Adult Written bySamantha Brown December 27, 2018

good movie

not much sex. short scene where two people are seen naked (nothing is shown) a lot of violence. multiple suicides are shown (because it’s the plot of the movie) not scary but will keep you on edge. there is violence
Parent of a 13 year old Written byThe beavs May 1, 2019

Decent but some sex

This movie is ok for a mutuel teen it deals with suicide and death also about 50 f bombs and about 200 curses so iffy choice but know your kid one 2 second sex scene with partial nudity

Adult Written byChocoRabbit March 25, 2019

Not great

It's kind of interesting if you can get it for free on Netflix, but don't pay for this movie. Nothing about it really stands out. The characters are uninteresting and not relatable. I wasn't rooting for anyone really. The format of the movie can be confusing for some people. There's a lot of blood and one meaningless sex scene (what sex scene isn't meaningless?) But other than the sex scene, there's nothing too scary or disturbing.
Adult Written bybelle11111111 March 24, 2019

really good

i loved this movie! was a bit violent, and not suitable for sensitive kids. just a warning, there is a small sexual scene.

Adult Written byWolfqueen1821 February 14, 2019

17-18+(conservatives)

I am an adult with two kids that does not like seeing nudity or sex in any movie. I think it's unnecessary and I'm old-fashioned,so for those who don't care watch this. But for any people who Grimace at seeing too much skin this is not for you unless you skip a full-on sex scene where both are completely naked.I read there is more so I'm not even finishing film.

Adult Written bydrfamilia February 3, 2019

My Heart Raced the ENTIRE Movie!

This is a movie that keeps your attention. I don’t recommend it for younger than 18 years old because of the sex scene (it showed enough!) and the gore (lots of blood). I do not want to plant any of these seeds into my children’s mind - actually, NO CHILD’s mind! Your kids will be so much better off if you do not let them see it (pun not intended).

Adult Written byrylanisbread January 29, 2019

bird box

it is a good movie there is a lot of suicide. there is also child birth and sex.

Adult Written byKathy2246 January 26, 2019

A+ Acting, but deep depressing meaning

I loved this movie a lot, but it was depressing with the suicides and almost all the main characters deaths. If you are a teen or young adult struggling with suicidal thoughts, this movie is not for you.

Adult Written byEVIU January 26, 2019

Frequent violent scenes and one sexual scene.

I think it's for a mature person. There are lots of violent scenes. There is one sexual scene which is 2 seconds long but I just checked it again for sure which has showed totally naked man and woman having sex. It was very short scene but you would see the woman's naked image of breast as well. I think the scene is not for kids. The movie itself is not so bad but I think it's not for kids.

Adult Written byIknowwhatIlike22 January 22, 2019

AMAZING

I think that this movie is fine for mature 11 year old. If you or your child are upset ted by, lots of blood, weapons, gore, brief sexual scenes, Multiple suicides shown on camera, language including the F word, then this movie is not for you. But This is my new favorite movie, And I definitely recommend it, great for the family.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byKing Asharna January 21, 2019

I DIDNT LEARN ANYTHING ABOUT BIRDS

THIS MOVIE DIDN'T TEACH ME OR MY STUPID IDIOT OF A DAUGHTER ABOT BIRDSSS! I WIL HAVE TO SHOW HER BIRDEMIC INSTED!

Adult Written bySnicklas January 20, 2019

Great beginning

I only say great beginnings because about 10 minutes into it there was already too much bloodshed for my comfort level. I was watching with my 12 year old and thought it too much for her and deemed it inappropriate. I will probably watch it without her.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byAligal76 January 17, 2019

Fantastic!

Wonderful movie, one of the best suspense films of 2018.

Adult Written bytherater101 January 14, 2019

The best show

they have great parts to the movie! only for mature kids!

Adult Written byRob321 January 14, 2019