Magnificent, macabre thriller too intense for young teens.

Parent of a 9, 12, and 14 year old Written bymamide3 April 27, 2011
I wish I had seen these reviews before I started watching this movie with my 14 year-old. I put it on fast forward during the masturbation scene. The whole movie was way too disturbing and I turned it off before the lesbian scence started. I personally do not think it's appropriate for any age but especially not for kids and teens. I was very disappointed!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bygson December 27, 2010

NOT for younger minds - incredibly intense

Intense... very well acted! Definitely NOT for children, personally, I would not take a teenaged girl to this movie.
Kid, 9 years old March 28, 2011
i saw it and i'm 10 i kinda though the parts that were sexual kind of inappropriate but kids my age know most of what they're doing and talking about
Teen, 13 years old Written byek03 June 9, 2015

very good

great movie
Adult Written byMia93 February 7, 2011

A movie masterpiece, but one that I will never see again. Not for anyone under 16!!! If that!

I am almost 18 and went to see this with a friend of mine. There's no doubt that this film is a masterpiece but at the same time I would never see it again. The movie contained a lot of highly explicit sex scenes (including a lesbian scene), masturbation scenes and a lot of blood an gore (a woman stabbing her own face with a nail file and a womans fingers getting crushed in a door over and over). The overall message of the film was to show the insane (literally) power that trying to be perfect can have on a fragile mind of an insecure person. I however found the details of the film hard to piece together as I found myself with my hand over my eyes so much so that I missed a fairly large percentage of the movie! This film is not meant to be a good time and it certainly isn't going to make you walk out with a smile. It is however very captivating and extremely intense! You get so absorbed in the insanity of the story and the scenes taking place that I found myself having to say to myself "it's just a movie..." over and over. Also, I am a ballet dancer so of course that was an intriguing aspect of the film. I found the dancing spectacular, however I would never go and see this movie purely for the dancing as it is a very small part of this epic film. So, definately a masterpiece but one that I would never watch again! Truly horrifying and disgusting! I would not recommend this movie for anyone full stop but if you are planning on seeing it, no one under the age of 16 should step near this film and even then, it must be a very mature 16 year old, that can handle a bit of blood, gore and sex scenes.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySynchronicity January 1, 2011

Ballet thriller is unflinching, unnerving, and definitely NOT for young teens

(Spoilers may be ahead.) You can only be perfect in death. That's exactly what this ersatz thriller by Darren Aronofsky embodies. Aronofsky is one of the best filmmakers of our time; he's done several other films, like ? (Pi), Requiem for a Dream and The Wrestler that chronicle their realistic characters' falls from grace through obsessions with mathematical patterns, drug addiction and wrestling (respectively). But Black Swan, arguably his best film since Requiem, tackles the subject of the pursuit of perfection in the world of ballet. Natalie Portman is finally in a role that she could easily win Best Actress for. This role is as Nina, a dancer in her mid-20's whose life is pretty much consumed by dancing. She doesn't put any joy into it, according to her choreographer Thomas (played by Vincent Cassel in one of the most underrated performances this year). But she still convinces him to give her the role of the Swan Princess, since she's the perfect embodiment of the White Swan: fragile, joyless, and innocent. But her Black Swan doppelganger, Lily (Mila Kunis in an extremely Oscar-deserving performance) comes into the picture - and Nina believes she must do everything she can to not let Lily steal part. This is all in her head, though - as are several parts of Black Swan. Although this is an excellent and intense film about ballet, its mix of sex and horrifically disturbing images make Black Swan a very, very poor choice for anyone under at least 16 (or 14, if VERY MATURE). There are two clearly implied scenes where Nina masturbates. In one, she's clothed and in a bed, and the other takes place in a bathtub. We see a bit of thrusting in the former, while the latter shows a bit of nudity (though the worst we see is her stomach). This scene ends when she sees some blood dripping into the water. Nina also is seen with only her panties on at least twice; her hands cover her breasts. Also, there's that hyped (imaginary) tryst between Nina and Lily that involves oral sex. There's no nudity, but it's extremely clear what's being done. Also, Thomas touches Nina's (clothed) crotch and forces her to kiss him a couple of times. Dancers are seen in skintight leotards (but since this is a film about ballet, that's to be expected). But it's not the sex that has the potential to disturb (unless you're conservative); it's the violence and bloody images that permeate Black Swan. Right off the bat, Nina's feet are covered in raw skin and slightly bloody blisters, and she cracks a toenail. Later, she imagines ripping a large piece of hanging skin off her finger, with bloody results. She also imagines growing feathers out of a scratch on her back, and even pulls one out. Nina also has a run-in with a ballet dancer who just had a car accident, and her injury is shown in close-up. (POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD) In a second visit, this dancer stabs herself in the face repeatedly with a nail file. But in the climax of the film, it appears that Nina stabs Lily in the stomach under pressure. It is revealed that Nina actually stabbed herself, and she dies at the end. (END SPOILERS.) There's also some R-rated profanity; about 14 f-bombs are dropped, the anatomical terms "c*ck" and "p*ssy" are both used, and there's some more mild profanity. Finally, Lily and Nina smoke in the dance studio (even though it isn't allowed), and they both get drunk and take hallucinogen pills in a bar, which ends up fueling Nina's insanity. Overall...well...not much left to say about how great this one is. But this is definitely not a movie for young ballet lovers; it's a film showing a great's descent into insanity.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 25, 2012

black swan

Families can talk about the messages the movie sends about committing yourself to something. When is focusing on one passion/talent/dream healthy, and when does it go too far? Do the consequences of the characters' behavior in this movie seem realistic? Have you ever seen anything similar happen to anyone you know? Is Nina's relationship to ballet healthy? Does the film unmask anything about the world of ballet?
Parent of a 4, 7, 15, and 17 year old Written byhighlander91 June 29, 2011

Definitely not for kids!

Only saw brief previews and didn't read reviews before renting this movie - big mistake. While I thought the acting was good, I thought the rest of this was garbage and a total waste of my time. Definitely not for kids with the sex scenes, drinking/drugs and violence. Just glad the 17 y/o in my house didn't decide to watch this with me!
Teen, 17 years old Written bypineapplejuicexo May 10, 2011

a BIG disappointment!

im not saying it was a bad movie, the over all story line was actulley really good. but come on? im 14 and i watched this with my mom, both unaware about the amount of sexual content in this movie. Its quite sickning. I mean what does a girl touching herself have to do with the movie? its just plain gross, all thats gonna do is get laughs from immature teenage boys. so i suggest only adults or mature FEMALE teenagers. and i suggest you dont watch this with your kids.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byZach Flowers April 3, 2011

Better for adults and kids 15 and older. not younger children

The movie starts off slow, but if you pay attention you follow everything that's going on. The movie was very well done, and Natalie Portman did deserve the oscar. Her performance was spectacular.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byJorgito March 3, 2011
Great film. But just for adults. Great performances, incluiding the sexual scene. But again, just for adults. It is simple, a great good making simply performed superbmovie. Ballet for dudes? In this kind of films, of curse!
Teen, 14 years old Written bypeaceboy April 26, 2011
This is an awesome work of art!That being said all the following concerns are for youngins.If you could skip the sex scenes,it would be a good thriller for my group of age.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 26, 2011

incredibly made but it is dark and intense

in this film there is more sex than violence surprisingly because this a thriller not a romance. but there is still alot of violence people turture themselves metelyly and phisicaly.the audience sees a girl stabbing someone with a piece of glass. alot of sex so if you are worried about that don't let your kids see this movie. launguage is another major event in this film they say f**k s**t d**k and even more. Black swan is a dark and intense thriller but it is also amazing made by fox searchlight.
Adult Written byAlex Daulton November 8, 2011

Too much for young and probably adults too

Very uncomfortable movie to watch. I wish I never saw it. Sexual content is nothing children under 17 should see. The movie makes you feel disgusting when it's done and made me hate ballet afterwards.
Adult Written bymasterofthemovies January 24, 2011
brilliant filmmaking! this movie will make you feel sick or unnerved after watching, but that is EXACTLY what the director wants! Every minute of the film was extremely good and done in good taste. The sex scene was not as graphic as others in theatres now a day, and is usually under fire just because its between 2 women. the parts that will make parents nervous is the creepy images and twisting plot. aside from that its ok for kids 16 and up. (15 if they are mature)
Adult Written bycourtneylsaid December 30, 2010

Appropriate for mature audiences. (If you have a mature 15 year old, then take them. Depends on maturity level).

Black Swan was an excellent film that I thoroughly enjoyed. Yes, there was sex, drugs, and violence. Parents, you are well aware of this before you step foot into the theater. Also, on-line forums and reviews have expressed their concern for younger audiences for this film. This film is supposed to pull from a more mature audience. With that being said, it is totally up to you parents. It depends on the maturity of your kids. Along with more mature content, it is harder to grasp a clear understanding of what is going on during the film. Because of Nina's (Portman's) hallucinations because of her medical condition, it is difficult to differentiate what is real or fake. This film was nicely made, and it was unlike any other film I have seen during my lifetime. It has already been recognized for its wonderful work. Great movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydonny4022 May 10, 2015

Non-Violent, but disturbing.

i saw this film when I was 13 with my parents. The violence was not a concern, only "bloody images" as it said on the back of the DVD. However, we ended up fast-forwarding scenes due to the fact that a woman was masturbating after her dance teacher told her "to go home and f*ck your[her]self". This occurs twice, the first time on a bed and is shown, still dressed but moaning and the second when she is in a bath and you see her hands sliding down her abdomen, nothing mp but the abdomen is shown. There is also a graphic lesbian sex scene, which ends in her partner smothering her with a pillow. However, a good movie to show your children if they are obsessed with being perfect.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBunnyNostrils April 7, 2014

Ok Movie

Violence: 6/10 Language: 6/10 Sex: 8/10 Disturbing: 4/10 At times can be somewhat disturbing and a couple of graphic scenes of violence
Adult Written bybro4 December 26, 2010
As a parent of a 15 year old, we left during the taxi scene between the two main characters. This is a bizarre movie that is not recommended for anyone under 17, and even my 19 year old was not impressed. Just plain wierd! Nothing positive to say at all.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byFranktastic December 24, 2010

Total Waste

I am the type of person that enjoys all movies in some way, but this was the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. It was even worse than Caddy Shack 2, which I didn't think was possible! Golden Globe awards, give me a break. This movie never should of been released! Everyone leaving the theater had the same look of disappointment on their face. A waste of my time and money.