All member reviews for Blackfish

Powerful, heartbreaking, disturbing doc about captive orcas.

Parent of a 17 year old Written bycmharrington February 22, 2014

Talk with your teen about the power of the media!

This film completely changed my perception of orcas in captivity. While it is important to note that the film IS propaganda, the question of validity remains. The film presents an excellent opportunity to teach our kids to think for themselves, and not to be manipulated by the media. It's a great conversation starter for tweens and teens, in which parents can encourage them to question information presented to them as factual. Just because it's a "documentary", doesn't necessarily make it true. Parents and kids can easily research both sides of the story (Sea World's response is on their website, as well as a follow-up on www.blackfishmovie.com) and come to their own conclusions. I, personally, am deeply saddened by the false impressions I previously held of happy, healthy orcas in captivity. The evidence presented in Blackfish is undeniable, from their collapsed dorsal fins to their scarred-up skin. Decide for yourselves!
Kid, 10 years old February 13, 2014

sad

parents need to know that this is a very sad movie about a killer whale named Tilikum who is captured by seaworld. this movie isn't very violent as common sense said and I don't know how common sense says there are positive messages in this movie because there really isn't. I also don't like that they kept a whale in captivity and didn't let him go and I also felt really angry about how seaworld lies and blame deaths on the trainer who had died from being drowned by the killer whale. It is really upsetting to think about it but worth watching even though the movie is not very good any way
Kid, 11 years old September 13, 2014

Orca cruelty

This movie is very sad but important to watch. It tells about how seaworld abuses captive orcas and the seaworld workers lying about how orcas live longer in captivity (which they dont) and whenever an orca kills a trainer they blame the trainer (sad) and how they capture the orcas. I found out about this movie from the peta website
Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2014

Heartbreaking documentary on Killer Whales

Violence- 5 (Orcas brutally kill people)
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 July 27, 2014

A tragedy of whales and human corruption

While SeaWorld does indeed deny the facts that "Blackfish" presents, it is likely they're trying to save their tails from going out of business, as I would like them to after seeing this film, completely snubbed from last year's Oscars. Tilikum is the main focus of the movie, a whale put in captivity whose frustration builds and builds, and he is truly a killer whale, by no fault of Dawn the trainer he mutilated. But is it Tilly's fault? Being trapped in a cement cage would prove trying for anyone, including a whale. How sad it is to see SeaWorld try to wash away their mistakes, but I'm glad to see this film reveal them for what they really are. Show this to your teens!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAmberJewel May 15, 2015

Lies and Propaganda

This movie, quite frankly, disgusted me. The whole movie is filled with lies and animal rights propaganda. I would only recommend it to someone who goes in knowing the truth, or else you'll be mislead by the lies in the movie. In real life, SeaWorld cares for their orcas. They don't abuse them or only want money. They love their whales. And they don't capture wild whales any more. They used to, but they don't anymore. I wish more people would realize the propaganda that this movie is!