All member reviews for Blade Runner

Teen, 14 years old Written byAceguy Reviews July 4, 2012

Deep, Philisophical, and powerful, sci-fi drama.

Blade Runner is one of the best movies I have ever seen. It is a film that I feel should be seen by all. The film is a though provoking sci-fi drama with a focus on humanity. It takes place in a dystopian, asian influenced, Los Angeles, in the year 2019 (yes, 7 years from now.) There are machines known as replicants who are entirely identical to humans. Except they are illegal. Rick Deckard is a retired Blade Runner, a special police officer who hunts down and kills replicants. He is brought back into the force to kill a group of escapee replicants from an off-world colony. He meets a replicant named Rachael (that is not a spoiler) who he falls in love with and he finds himself having to make decisions about his own humanity and his job. It is a thought-provoking, and dark film that asks the questions of what we consider human. Director Ridley Scott brilliantly left the film with an ending open to interpretation. I cannot express how powerful this film is. Content wise this film contains a lot of violence. It is not action packed really but the violence is strong. In the beginning of the film we see a man get shot. Later, a replicant is shot to death and she crashes through a window. Shortly after, another replicant is shot in the head after a fist fight. There is no blood but you see a hole in his head and dangling skin. In a different scene, a man's eyes are violently pushed inward and his skull is crushed. This scene may be very terrifying to some viewers and it is the most violent scene. At the end of the film, a replicant beats up a man and grabs him by his nostrils. Then, he shoots her and she violently convulses. A replicant breaks a man's fingers and then a replicant sticks a nail through his hand. The violence is heavy but a very light R. The sex in the film is light. We see brief female nudity but not full frontal (we do see bare breasts.) It is only about 30 seconds and not sexual. It is not explicit as the scene in Titanic (a PG-13 film). There is also a scene where a man and a woman passionatly kiss and the woman tells him to put his hands on her. The scene is very romantic and not explicit. Later we see two men kiss. All of the sexual content is very light and would be considered PG-13 level. There is also some light drug use. A woman smokes and talks about it. The main character drinks liqour often. Really the thing that would make the film hard for younger viewers is how deep it is. It is very mature, and philisophical. The film goes over the heads of some adults. If you r child is mature they can handle it. I say that this film is fine for mature kids and it is a great film for all people. I highly recommend it.
Kid, 12 years old April 25, 2013

A fantastic film, no matter which cut!

This is a dark, dramatic thriller about Rick Deckard being forced back into the old ways of his life to 'retire' a group of androids that are trying to expand their lives. One suggestion I do have for certain unanswered questions is to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? for this is a great novel and even if you don't wonder unanswered questions, I suggest fans of the film to pick it up to compare and contrast between the different mediums for Deckard's story. This film has great casting from every actor and even with the short time after this film's release and Phillip K. D*ck's death, he thought that they got a great cast for the film, especially Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer. Letting you know, the Director's Cut from 1992, other than obviously the US Broadcast, it is the tamest cut out there, mainly due to the fact that it wasn't as gruesome (International Theatrical Cut) and there wasn't any use of the word f***er unlike the Theatrical Cuts and the Final Cut which didn't make that scene seem as poetic as other cuts. Letting you know, the Theatrical Cut has a voice over in which a racist slur is said, but it was technically used so we can understand the term 'skin-job' a little more. You will certainly enjoy this revolutionary science fiction masterpiece. A question CSM overlooked is brought up in later cuts with the question of if Deckard himself is an android. Letting you now with the guy saying that there isn't enough character development, this is just as much science fiction as there is noir elements like the voice over, and, as you most know, noir characters aren't known for character development for that is a way how it is stylized. Can't wait for the sequel!
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares January 28, 2009

Certainly the best science fiction film of the 1980s.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylordmax April 9, 2008

interesting drama, not really an action flick

If you are looking for a run and gun action movie, this is not it. The action in this one is extremely brutal and explicit, and violince is not glorified. The main charater is beaten nearly to death twice, one charater is shot in slow motion, another has half his head blown off, another is shot in the side twice and her side gets ripped off. Oddly enough, only 7 charaters die. Good movie for older teens mature enough to understand some of the themes.
Teen, 14 years old Written byferraris_rock April 26, 2009

Really good. I actually saw Final Cut, so it might be slightly different... Highly provocative and philisophical, but also extremely violent and gory. Brief nudity in a strip club (breasts). The last 30 minutes of the movie are extremely intense and creepy. Definately not for anybody younger than 14. (This movie was based on the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. If you like this movie/book, read Fahrenheit 451 or 1984.)
Teen, 14 years old Written bykyleReeselives November 20, 2014

Almost as good as alien

The protagonist blindly does his job throughout most of the movie, but he soon learns of the wrong that he has done. The main enemy turns from a murderer to one who cares for others. However, most of the enemies are cold-blooded killers. The protagonist does kill but only because he's being forced to. Overall, most people decide to change their ways, MOST
Teen, 14 years old Written byR. Zrike July 10, 2014

Amazing Movie!

Great movie for those who can handle dark, intense violence such as someone's eyes getting pushed in (not quiet as gory as it sounds). Someone also pushes a nail through their own hand. A must watch for older teens and adults. Make sure to watch the Final Cut version.
Kid, 12 years old May 9, 2014

One word... CONFUSING.

From what I got to see from the Director's Cut of this film, it envisions a 2019 bleak LA future that is about a "blade runner" Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford, best known as Indiana Jones, Han Solo or the grumpy old man roles he plays these days), who is a robot assassin. But he feels compassion for one. Now, I know the "NOT FOR KIDS" thing may seem an overstatement... if your kid wants to be confused in a maze of spectacular cinematography and forget to focus too much on this thing... go right ahead with teenagers and up. As for violence, I remember seeing a man get shot twice and his chair flying through walls at close-up gunpoint; no blood though, and in a famous (or infamous) change-room scene, you get to see a stripper's bare breasts. Language was PG-13, as in "*sshole" and stuff. But there was a steamy love scene with no nudity. That's all I'd got to see. Also, Harrison Ford smokes and drinks, and there's the infamous "Blade Runner curse" in real life --- who's ever heard of "New Coke"? This film made any brand in it defunct. Just a little bit of trivia. Anyway, thankyou for reading.
Kid, 12 years old April 20, 2014

Great, great movie with beautiful scenes and great plot.

This movie is interesting, because it makes you feel like the futuristic world is real. There is a lot of violence, and can be a bit bloody. There was one scene that I think was one of the best scenes in the history of films. The entire Tears in Rain speech was just wonderful. One of my favorite movies of all time, I highly recomend it,
Teen, 13 years old Written byThedude68683 January 12, 2014

Blade runner

This is not a action movie it is a drama science fiction movie if you're looking for guns and action go look at total recall (AVOID THE REMAKE) because that has a lot of action this is a thriller and it's awesome I'm not going into the plot because I don't want to spoil anything but still I give the strongest of strong recommends
Teen, 15 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 November 11, 2013

dark sci-fi film explores complicated ideas, with some violence

A stark, dark, and moving sci-fi film, this Ridley Scott movie is a truly awesome spectacle. with beautiful visuals, gripping acting, and an intricate storyline, all sci-fi fans will have a good time. but some of the content may be too much for younger kids. the movie's violence is very mild. robots are shot, sometime showing blood spurt. a robot has his head blown open, a human gets his eyes gouged out (blood is seen), a robot breaks a man's finger (with cracking sounds), and later runs a nail into his hand. there is brief nudity, one use of f**ker, and lots of smoking.
Kid, 10 years old April 23, 2013

GREAT SCI-FI FLIK!!!!!!!!!!

Blade runner is a movie that deals with the state of the human race in the near future and the possibilities of global collapse. It shows you what the world could be like. There is coak signs everywhere throughout the film. There is a moderate amount of cursing throughout the movie. There is a scene were you see a side view of a breast. There is 7 deaths throughout the movie. In one scene a replicant shots another replicant in the head. There is another scene in which Deckard shoots a female stripper in the head. There are several fighting scenes throughout the movie. A replicant is killed by Deckard. In addition, a male replicant kills himself at the climax of the movie, there are 3 off-screen deaths are suggested.
Kid, 12 years old March 7, 2013

A Movie I'll See When I'm Older

I'm a huge fan of sci-fi, but I'm going to wait until I'm older to see this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhowrselover June 11, 2012

Thumbs up if you're into that kind of stuff

Blade runner is a good, satisfying sci-fi drama. Just not really my thing.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFilmFanJ June 7, 2012

Blade Runner Review

Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn November 10, 2011

Hypnotic and seminal dystopian pic is too intense for kids

Blade Runner is another classic Ridley Scott movie, which he directed right after he was hot off of Alien, another very good, and for him, another very successful sci-fi movie. Only this time, he wasn't trying to make so much of a horror movie, as more of a dark, hypnotic kind of movie. But, of course, audiences at the time just didn't get what the big deal was about it, so it was quickly dismissed by critics and flopped at the box office. Unfortunate, because this is, even visually, a masterpiece. It offers a new perspective on the dystopian sci-fi concept of the future, much like the way most of us no it, and than completely turns it on it's head. But, of course, none of this sounds like great fodder for a kids movie, which it most certainly isn't: The violence is very infrequent, but very bloody and brutal, there is very infrequent profanity but does feature words like sh-t, d-mn and f--k. Also, there is brief nudity of a topless dancer, which the camera lingers on for a while, most notably her bare breasts. So, even if you haven't read the book, everyone should still be able to get there own thing out of it.
Kid, 11 years old October 31, 2011

Good!

Classic sci-fi!
Teen, 14 years old Written byKiki Long. July 19, 2010

Brilliant.

This film, from a deeply philosophical person, was beautiful, truly wonderful. It was questioning but not too soppy. It was a bit violent but not too bad although an android is shot and her body graphically convulsive and towards the end the head replicant causes himself harm to prove to himself that he is still alive. I put a good role model as towards the end Roy Batty shows remorse and gives the most hardfelt speech and saves the protaganist, then he releases a dove. YOU MUST WATCH THE DIRECTORS CUT as the original has the most evil and rediculous voice over that the makers put on fearing the americans may not understand the plot which was stupid as americans, I have found, are rather intelligent - they have NASA for pete's sake. All in all its a pretty awesome film.
Kid, 12 years old October 1, 2009

A great sci fi flick starring Harrison Ford. Not for kids for obvious reasons. The film is dark and the violence is graphic and repetetive. Bare breasts are occasionly seen, and there are some sex references. Older kids should be able to handle this one.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlackadder August 24, 2009

Eat your heart out Star Wars

This Movie is a perfect example of Science Fiction at it's best. This phonominal movie is tied with Kubrick's 2001 with my favorite Sci Fi motion picture, a must see for everybody over 13. The main problem for younger viewers in this movie is not exceptionally the violence (although it plays a roll) but the complexity of the story line. There were a few parts of the film where I had to ask my father motives behind why charactors were doing this that and the other, and I'm sure that the complexity of this movie would just bounce off an elementary school child's head, so save it till there thirteen. Another point, there is a part of the film where a female's breasts are exposed, so you may want to remove the more inocent of your children at this point in the movie. Keep watching! The Blackadder