All member reviews for Blade Runner

A dark, philosophical sci-fi drama for older teens.

Adult Written byCastellanos July 17, 2009

Blade Runner is a timeless classic. The special effects were phenomenal for it's time and are up to today's standards. The story is both engaging and extremely thoughtful. This film creates a both realistic and believable look at the future and captures us into the movie. While not one of my favorites, this is a very well done film that I recommend, especially to sci-fi fans, but also, to any lover of good cinema. Parents should know that the atmosphere of this movie is very dark and there are some intense moment of violence. There is a scene where a man is shot twice and flies back in his chair very quickly, which will surprise many viewers. Other violent scenes include a man getting shot in the back of the head, with the front of his head bursting open, a mans face is crushed by another man, a woman is shot many times and breaks through many windows of glass in slow motion, another woman is shot and while yelling very loudly and writhing on the floor, she is shot again repeatedly, a man is bloodily beaten and has a couple of his fingers broken (with loud crunching sounds), and a man stabs himself in the hand with a nail. There is also a scene with a woman taking a shower where you see her bare breasts. As for language, in the final cut, there is one instance of the f-word, in other versions the language is PG.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAceguy Reviews July 4, 2012

Deep, Philisophical, and powerful, sci-fi drama.

Blade Runner is one of the best movies I have ever seen. It is a film that I feel should be seen by all. The film is a though provoking sci-fi drama with a focus on humanity. It takes place in a dystopian, asian influenced, Los Angeles, in the year 2019 (yes, 7 years from now.) There are machines known as replicants who are entirely identical to humans. Except they are illegal. Rick Deckard is a retired Blade Runner, a special police officer who hunts down and kills replicants. He is brought back into the force to kill a group of escapee replicants from an off-world colony. He meets a replicant named Rachael (that is not a spoiler) who he falls in love with and he finds himself having to make decisions about his own humanity and his job. It is a thought-provoking, and dark film that asks the questions of what we consider human. Director Ridley Scott brilliantly left the film with an ending open to interpretation. I cannot express how powerful this film is. Content wise this film contains a lot of violence. It is not action packed really but the violence is strong. In the beginning of the film we see a man get shot. Later, a replicant is shot to death and she crashes through a window. Shortly after, another replicant is shot in the head after a fist fight. There is no blood but you see a hole in his head and dangling skin. In a different scene, a man's eyes are violently pushed inward and his skull is crushed. This scene may be very terrifying to some viewers and it is the most violent scene. At the end of the film, a replicant beats up a man and grabs him by his nostrils. Then, he shoots her and she violently convulses. A replicant breaks a man's fingers and then a replicant sticks a nail through his hand. The violence is heavy but a very light R. The sex in the film is light. We see brief female nudity but not full frontal (we do see bare breasts.) It is only about 30 seconds and not sexual. It is not explicit as the scene in Titanic (a PG-13 film). There is also a scene where a man and a woman passionatly kiss and the woman tells him to put his hands on her. The scene is very romantic and not explicit. Later we see two men kiss. All of the sexual content is very light and would be considered PG-13 level. There is also some light drug use. A woman smokes and talks about it. The main character drinks liqour often. Really the thing that would make the film hard for younger viewers is how deep it is. It is very mature, and philisophical. The film goes over the heads of some adults. If you r child is mature they can handle it. I say that this film is fine for mature kids and it is a great film for all people. I highly recommend it.
Adult Written byThisSiteIsCrap22 July 29, 2011

This site is Piss.

The movie raises the question of at what point do robots stop being items and gain humanity. Backed up by the philosophical ideal of "I think therefore I am" the humanoids in this film do seem to think for themselves, so are they in fact their own person? This goes deeper by implying that the protagonist may in fact be humanoid or human but never really stating either as fact. Also at the end as one of the robots is killed he describes some of the beautiful things he has seen in his life he then releases a white bird. He dies or is "retired" as the white bird is shown flying to the sky, symbolic of his soul perhaps being set free. it is a very interesting masterpiece executed in a wonderful fashion, however I am sure none of you care about that because it shows some "naughty" parts that you would never let your child see, so you will post on this site complaining that it should be watered down so 9 year old Suzie will understand it and be able to watch it.
Kid, 12 years old April 25, 2013

A fantastic film, no matter which cut!

This is a dark, dramatic thriller about Rick Deckard being forced back into the old ways of his life to 'retire' a group of androids that are trying to expand their lives. One suggestion I do have for certain unanswered questions is to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? for this is a great novel and even if you don't wonder unanswered questions, I suggest fans of the film to pick it up to compare and contrast between the different mediums for Deckard's story. This film has great casting from every actor and even with the short time after this film's release and Phillip K. D*ck's death, he thought that they got a great cast for the film, especially Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer. Letting you know, the Director's Cut from 1992, other than obviously the US Broadcast, it is the tamest cut out there, mainly due to the fact that it wasn't as gruesome (International Theatrical Cut) and there wasn't any use of the word f***er unlike the Theatrical Cuts and the Final Cut which didn't make that scene seem as poetic as other cuts. Letting you know, the Theatrical Cut has a voice over in which a racist slur is said, but it was technically used so we can understand the term 'skin-job' a little more. You will certainly enjoy this revolutionary science fiction masterpiece. A question CSM overlooked is brought up in later cuts with the question of if Deckard himself is an android. Letting you now with the guy saying that there isn't enough character development, this is just as much science fiction as there is noir elements like the voice over, and, as you most know, noir characters aren't known for character development for that is a way how it is stylized. Can't wait for the sequel!
Parent Written byharris231 September 10, 2012

violent movie with nudity

Parent of a 7 year old Written bypaulgibbons August 23, 2012

Thought provoking, violence (even police violence) comes out very badly

From my point of view, it is more important my pre-teen learn to think critically about moral issues: what is human? because we fabricate something, can we destroy it? why should certain groups have rights? Those things make Hunger Games and this something we see enjoy and discuss. As far as alcohol and smoking, he is already so 'anti' such things, I cannot imagine the bad guys smoking and drinking in this dystopian world have a bad effect. And as far as partial nudity (the shower scene where shoulders are shown) - heavens! - I cannot imagine parents finding that objectionable. But i don't understand most reviews. Unlike most movies with violence (and M rated games) - the violence in BR is the subject - it doesnt happen without moral question (as in Battleship or other war-glorifying films) - indeed violence comes out very badly indeed. So, yes one of the greatest sci-fi films of all times- with a great sound track and many thought provoking questions. My eight year-old and I enjoyed it tremendously - and we had lots to talk about thereafter. I don't imagine many eight year olds are ready, but I can't imagine prohibiting a 12 year old from seeing it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares January 28, 2009

Certainly the best science fiction film of the 1980s.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylordmax April 9, 2008

interesting drama, not really an action flick

If you are looking for a run and gun action movie, this is not it. The action in this one is extremely brutal and explicit, and violince is not glorified. The main charater is beaten nearly to death twice, one charater is shot in slow motion, another has half his head blown off, another is shot in the side twice and her side gets ripped off. Oddly enough, only 7 charaters die. Good movie for older teens mature enough to understand some of the themes.
Teen, 14 years old Written byR. Zrike July 10, 2014

Amazing Movie!

Great movie for those who can handle dark, intense violence such as someone's eyes getting pushed in (not quiet as gory as it sounds). Someone also pushes a nail through their own hand. A must watch for older teens and adults. Make sure to watch the Final Cut version.
Kid, 10 years old April 23, 2013

GREAT SCI-FI FLIK!!!!!!!!!!

Blade runner is a movie that deals with the state of the human race in the near future and the possibilities of global collapse. It shows you what the world could be like. There is coak signs everywhere throughout the film. There is a moderate amount of cursing throughout the movie. There is a scene were you see a side view of a breast. There is 7 deaths throughout the movie. In one scene a replicant shots another replicant in the head. There is another scene in which Deckard shoots a female stripper in the head. There are several fighting scenes throughout the movie. A replicant is killed by Deckard. In addition, a male replicant kills himself at the climax of the movie, there are 3 off-screen deaths are suggested.
Adult Written bycritic sense November 4, 2012

Recommended Rating: 14+ for moderate violence, disturbing scenes and brief nudity

This sci-fi film has a very dark atmosphere and builds tension as it goes on. Although not very violent or gory, the scenes of violence are quite intense and may be too disturbing for younger viewers. A man gets shot in the forehead, a man puts a nail through his hand and a man has his eyeballs pushed into his head with someone's thumbs, pouring blood. In one version an F-word is said, otherwise in other versions there are only a few instances of moderate language. There is a scene with some partial female nudity, but its quite brief.
Parent Written bygrapelover46 September 14, 2012

Film displays brief nudity; violence.

Adult Written byluffy900 August 14, 2010

Iffy Sci-Fi Lacks Character

Though very cinematic in this edgy and dark futuristic world, it doesn't do very well with character development, which disappointed me. Only problems was that there was a nude woman, then she runs around in her underwear, and one use of the f-word.
Teen, 14 years old Written byferraris_rock April 26, 2009

Really good. I actually saw Final Cut, so it might be slightly different... Highly provocative and philisophical, but also extremely violent and gory. Brief nudity in a strip club (breasts). The last 30 minutes of the movie are extremely intense and creepy. Definately not for anybody younger than 14. (This movie was based on the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. If you like this movie/book, read Fahrenheit 451 or 1984.)
Adult Written byfenixataris182 April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written bymad about tv July 31, 2015

Dystopian masterpiece is very violent

There is very little sex, language and drugs in this film, with the exception of some brief nudity (a woman is seen topless). However the violence whilst not constant is very bloody and grisly in some places apart from this blade runner is suitable for 12 year olds.
Kid, 12 years old July 11, 2015

director's cut is all im aloud to see

dad said that this would be inappropriate but he let me see the directors cut which was great
Teen, 15 years old Written byMavrah333 May 29, 2015

The right ideas are used well, but this dystopian tale seems unsure of itself (2007 final cut, re-review)

OK, I didn't much like this first time, giving it two stars, largely for the slow pace and that I was expecting a very different film. However, Blade Runner is, at its heart, an original and thought provoking take on dystopia. Scott has created a beautiful painting of 2019, with breath taking visuals and a good soundtrack. It has initiative, with interesting ideas put forward, such as slave androids and the values of life. What its main flaw is the pace. Its far too slow to get any where near the 5 star rating, and many events are unexplained and confusing. This is not for the casual movie goer. Instead, this should be reserved for dystopia fans, fans of Stanley Kubrick or Ridley Scott, or Harrison Ford fans. You won't enjoy it if you want a 'fun' two hours. Only if you want to see a work of art.
Adult Written bylouisa1 February 10, 2015

amazing sci fi movie!

this is an amazing movie! but there are some iffy moments that parents should consider looking at there is a ton of violence, drinking, drugs, and there is one scene where we see a womens breasts, again there is a lot of guns and violence plus scenes that may too violent or uncorfatable for young viewers, plus it does have a very complicated plot that younger viewers may not understand. with all that said this an amazing movie that i would definatly recommend
Teen, 14 years old Written bykyleReeselives November 20, 2014

Almost as good as alien

The protagonist blindly does his job throughout most of the movie, but he soon learns of the wrong that he has done. The main enemy turns from a murderer to one who cares for others. However, most of the enemies are cold-blooded killers. The protagonist does kill but only because he's being forced to. Overall, most people decide to change their ways, MOST