All member reviews for Blue Crush

Tough yet tender surfer heroine story.

Teen, 15 years old Written bymayraliza March 1, 2009

Teen, 13 years old Written bysarah_soda March 8, 2010

Okay for teens

Very Underated. The person at the movie store I went to suggested this to be a good 'family movie', and because the back of the dvd anounced PG, I decieded to watch it. I regret that. It wasn't overly bad, it was an okay movie, but I seriously want to know if the people giving an age rating to the movie fell asleep half way through to give it PG.
Adult Written byjumpinbini April 9, 2008

This movie has a "You can achieve, if you just believe" (I know, corny)message to it. The main character has a handful of obstacles that she has to overcome throughout the movie in order for her to reach her goal, which is to become a professional surfer. She has real life responsibilities including taking care of her younger adolescent sister and paying the bills on time. A true story of struggle and determination. I highly recommend this movie to teens and older.
Teen, 16 years old Written bytwigster April 9, 2008

I saw this first when I was eleven...

and I was mildly disturbed (Penny's various issues and her older sister/guardian Anne Marie's lack of control over her), but in retrospect, this film is not disturbing. This is appropriate for mature children around age 11/12+, in my opinion. The only issue of commercialism that I recognize is Anne Marie's sponsorships by the surf company Blillabong. However, several of my friends are sponsored by various companies and this does not bother me personally in the least.
Educator Written bysb34chick November 21, 2009

Teens Approved

The main role model in this story is a young adult, surfergirl, dropout who is struggling to raise her kid sister and instill values that she isn't exactly living out. Through this story the girls mature and grow together, building a positive relationships and overcoming fears. Questionable moments in this flick: The young sister does make some poor decisions and is found smoking and drinking and partying. The older sister and friends are housecleaning and find condums in one of the hotel rooms and quit their jobs over the issue.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymulchi melissa April 9, 2008

awesome movie

This is a really great movie. I love surfing so i really liked it. I recommend this movie highly. If you like surfing its 4 you!
Teen, 15 years old Written byagentcheesecake March 17, 2011

Cliche Morals, But Amazing Movie!

Blue Crush is a very good movie. Sure, we all know this storyline has been reused in many different films (minus the surfing), but in this flick all of the sappy, where-have-I-seen-this-one-beforeness has been drained out. Despite the fact that the main character works as a maid in a hotel and finds a condom on the floor, finds her sister out partying with people twice her age, and is showed just about to have sex almost three times (with the same guy though, not any hookups), it is a good movie and all of the things above aren't played out very dramatically. I think Anne Marie could be descibed as a hero in some circumstances, and she even inspired me to give surfing a try!