Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Bohemian Rhapsody

Exuberant music, electric performance in routine biopic.

Adult Written byScapergal February 20, 2019

Outstanding

Most entertaining movie I have seen in a long while. The cast individually were outstanding and the effort the actors put into depicting the iconic rock legends was mind boggling. Yes, that’s really the actors playing their instruments and singing during the movie – it is not lip-synch. All the cast took music, singing and movement lessons for this movie. Rami Malek spent almost 6 months preparing for his role as Freddie Mercury. Only 2 critical scenes (that were filmed) are missing - namely how John Deacon became part of the band and Queen’s full 20-minute Live Aid performance that was filmed in 1 take. The lack of these 2 vital scenes, shortchanges the brilliant cast and their magnificent performances as well as movie goers that spent their money to see the film or bought the DVD. There is no logic as to why the Live-Aid performance was cut short in the theater version of the movie especially as it is the highlight of the movie. Yes, Fox added the 20-minute Live Aid performance to the DVD as an Extra but for a movie that's grossed over $700m so far it should be IN THE MOVIE and NOT an added Extra. Yes, this movie contains adult themes but thankfully it’s not overdone as the focus of the movie is the story and not just one small aspect of it. Those of us that grew up in the 70s, 80s and 90s and loved Queen’s music then know how much the Press hated Queen especially Freddie Mercury - they disliked them then, so it’s nothing new and hardly surprising they don't like the movie now. It’s sad that critics have given it such poor reviews but then critics often hate great films, so this movie fits that narrow-minded view it seems because it is a great film. Brian May and Roger Taylor (Queen band members) signed off on the movie’s content so as far as I am concerned it's canon. The movie however is NOT a documentary it's a synopsis of 20 years of Queen's meteoric rise from obscurity to fame against some tough odds. Above all, it's a tribute to their music and what can be accomplished when a group of talented individuals pulls together as a team and values individual member's contributions. Well done Boh Rhap cast you were magnificent and totally captured the essence of Queen. If you love music and you want to know Queen’s story go see the movie.
Adult Written byslasher23 January 30, 2019

Pg-13

Some drug and language and some sexual content

Adult Written bymelodiw December 12, 2018

Best movie I have seen in ages

Ok so Queen is my all time favorite band, but after seeing the movie I felt connect to Freddie in so many different ways. There is some drug usage and sex, but it is fine for mature kids and teens. The music and the performance scenes were amazing, I felt like I was watching the og band.

Adult Written byvivi_riberdy December 9, 2018

Parent of a 12 year old Written byNancy L. December 6, 2018

Great film

Great film, interesting story, talented actors. It did a good job of not downplaying Freddie's sexuality but not overly dramatizing it. I have a mature 12-year-old and it was fine for her age but perhaps not as good a choice for less mature kids.

Adult Written byMicheal247 November 25, 2018

Amazing

This movie was inspiring and beautiful and recommend to anyone who is a music fan especially a queen fan
Adult Written byThe Screen Ninja November 23, 2018

go and see it!

im not even into Queen. In fact I hardly know anything at all about the band. BUT with that being said this movie was none the less enjoyable and the music was really good. If you're hesitant on the sexual scenes, its not too heavy, its more just the undertones of the gay issues around the time that arise more often than not. So not to worry if you don't know much about the band like I did, sit back and enjoy the ride for Freddy Mercury could never bore you