Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Bohemian Rhapsody

Exuberant music, electric performance in routine biopic.

Adult Written byQueen_Is_Great December 3, 2018

AMAZING MOVIE, MUST SEE

Definitely a must watch, if your child is mature enough then take them along!! They’re is sensitive subjects about AIDS and Freddie is gay so be aware of that. Otherwise GO SEE IT NOW!!

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byDaniel H. January 12, 2019

Engaging biopic with great music

The music and acting is excellent. The story is compelling. But if you are looking at it from a parent perspective, it's not the kind of film that is great for younger kids. 'Cuz let's face it. Freddie Mercury lived a wild life.

Adult Written bywinter_singer December 22, 2018

Moving film provides great basis for discussions about friendship and values

We were pleasantly surprised by this movie, having read the negative press reviews of it. While it isn't completely accurate about things like chronological order and it apparently exaggerates some of the conflicts portrayed, we found it quite gripping emotionally and can happily forgive it its inaccuracies. After reading the reviews on this website we decided to take our 10-year-old daughter along. We warned her beforehand that the main character will be diagnosed with a fatal illness. (She's aware of homosexuality already - we have gay friends - so wasn't shocked by the fact that there are a couple of gay kissing scenes.) The club scene that some reviewers were concerned about it is only fleetingly shown and is interspersed with scenes from a gig. It could be taken as a dream sequence. My daughter didn't even notice it. For the scenes with cocaine, you would really need to know what to look for. I would have missed them completely if I hadn't read the reviews on this site! As far as drinking goes, I agree with the assessment of another reviewer that the film certainly isn't an advertisement for excessive drinking - on the contrary, it's a warning against it. My daughter absolutely loved the film, both for the music and for the human drama it depicts. She made many thoughtful observations afterwards, for example about how some people only pretended to be Freddie's friends while others were truly his friends, and how he was affected by his fame. She wants to see it again, and so do I.

Adult Written byXlivXmarie March 5, 2019

Worst Movie Ever

I watched this movie on tv and it was not worth th 6 dollars i payed for. it is not at all appropriate. the movie ruined my view of the queen music. the story mas horrible. I am mortified.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byahmed aiman 99 February 5, 2019

Safe and cliched wannabe biopic!

Sorry I want an actual movie to review, not some scattered and very brief chapters consists of events and facts stacked on top of each other using some outdated techniques. Two stars for the palatial and splendid production design, Rami Malek's fine performance, and, above all, the sequences that allowed me to experience Queen's music being presented. Most noteworthy is, of course, the epic Live Aid concert; that almost redeemed the whole "movie". If it it hadn’t been for this phenomenal concert sequence, this "movie", that is undoubtedly unworthy of its name, would have left a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, it's the only thing that doesn't seem fake. Hands down the worst Best Picture nominee I've ever watched, and one of the worst movies of 2018. But what's really getting on my nerves is that this fragmentary incomplete thing is nominated for Best Achievement in Film Editing! (4/10)

Adult Written bysebrinachil December 27, 2018

absolutely amazing !

My twelve year old wanted to see this movie and I was a little hesitant for many reasons including; The movie was about a homosexual man in the 70’s, a rock band in the 70’s, and many more things. However in the end I went to the theatre to see it and was beyond pleased. The movie was absolutely amazing and very moving. There were some awkward parts with the children, especially when he was dealing with AIDS, but I would go back and see it 1000 more times. The movie dealed with many mature topics but I think any kids with a brief understanding of gay rights, AIDS, and growing up in the 70’s. Any way I would recommend this movie to everyone, people of all ages. Hope this helped! :)

Adult Written byAnnie15 December 5, 2018

Good movie

I seen this movie in theaters and of all the movies I have seen this year in theaters this one has been the best. If your a music lover this should be for you. I would say teens and adults would enjoy this movie most cuz of the plot is geared for adults and teens more. It's the whole life story of queen so it's not only interesting but can be educational too.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byRedPill09 November 22, 2018

It was good but I was a little disappointed that Sacha Baron Cohen quit on this

I thought Rami Malek had a great performance in this Queen biopic. For my 9 year old, who understood being gay I had to close his eyes during the man to man kiss. The movie was just fine as my kid gives it a 7.7/10!

Adult Written byVicki F. November 24, 2018

Emotionally engaging feel-good movie

Bohemian Rhapsody is great entertainment. It shows the rise of Queen from humble beginnings to greatness and has a fabulous sound track. Rami Malek is captivating as Freddy Mercury and the rest of the cast work well in their supporting roles; the chemistry between Freddy and Mary, the love of his life, is particularly enchanting. The depiction of how different songs evolved, often starting with a simple riff that builds to the crescendo of yet another great Queen track, totally energises the viewer. It is also refreshing that, whilst Mercury’s drug use and involvement in the gay scene is clearly evident, there are no explicit scenes that might limit the movie’s suitability for teens or more conservative viewers. Apparently, Bohemian Rhapsody is not “accurate” about every aspect of Queen and Freddy Mercury. Yet it conveys many truths about the human condition whilst successfully plotting significant elements of Queen’s journey. The film is also criticised for being formulaic. It is undoubtedly constructed to appeal to a wide audience and does indeed contains all the elements of a wonderful movie! It’s a shame that film critics are too jaded to warmly endorse such an emotionally engaging and feel-good movie.

Adult Written byYourmomsyourdad March 11, 2019

I Hated This Film

This film is a poor representation of a mediocre band from the seventies and eighties that people liked and are to stupid to let go off. Instant five star review.

Adult Written byJav February 25, 2019

Bohemian Rhapsody Review

Bohemian Rhapsody is beautifully made and the acting and music is top notch. Rami Malek did an amazing job turning into the the legendary Freddie Mercury. The live aid performance is breathtaking.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byEpicfishkeeper February 22, 2019

Great for queen fans of all ages

Queen fans of all ages will enjoy it but not for people under 8 lot of references kids won’t understand and an a use of fuck but very clean.

Adult Written byPipeCine February 17, 2019

“This is where the operatic section comes in!"

"Bohemian Rhapsody" is the most boisterous biopic of the season, the most controversial of the last few years as well, do not though, look at these factors in a good way. Going from awards, nominations, and arbitrary, ceaseless accolades coming from the industry to unsafe firings, serious uproars around the private life of those involved in the movie and harshly mixed opinions between critics, moviegoers and 'Queen' lovers. The music-related cinematic event of the year doesn't go beyond the conventional story of ascent and fall, vice and fame, money-fueled madness and redemption; a frivolous apology that disappointingly gets sidetracked by the shiniest banalities and the primal artistic, personal dilemmas of both Mercury and May, Taylor and Deacon; this flick isn't a true-blue hit, trust me. Plenty of hiccups in the way of this highly-anticipated but incompetent Hollywood film adaptation; among them is the replacement of an almost perfect Sacha Baron Cohen, which was, allegedly, due to a creative discrepancy between the actor and the producers, who refused to show any somewhat damming material that endangers or hurts the golden legacy of a rock band that broke the mold. Probably, Baron Cohen was right. Now all that's left is to dream of an assuredly R-rated pic, a comprehensive biographical story with powerful chiaroscuros on each member of the family, as well as the cornerstones that made 'Queen' a point in history: their relationships, their sexuality, obsessions, behaviors, hopes, sins, demons and successes; the film centered on mass appeal aspects, as expected. Let's be honest: the film is pure entertainment, a noisy and shallow spectacle taking advantage of each one of the most emblematic hits of the British band, simulating to deal with the recreations of their properly iconic video clips and striving to deliver unknown answers to the questions about the vicious existence of the Queen frontman. Finding matches in the portrait of real-life footage is entertaining, such as the "I Want to Break Free" music video or its gargantuan finale, however, with a two-hour-plus runtime, is it right to be okay with this, when the brand 'Queen' is involved? I don't think so. First and foremost, Rami Malek's the only true winner among all this chaos. Malek, a.k.a. Elliot Anderson in Sam Esmail's voracious techno-thriller "Mr. Robot," is, from the outside, Freddie Mercury. The American actor has come up with the role people will recognize him for from now on, not only because of the celebrity he portrays but the fiercely impressive performance he acts proudly on the screen. He's not merely imitating the most representative mannerisms of the outlandish singer, he understands carefully the psychology of a man turned into a legend, he does justice to his role even if the lifeless, sanitized script threatens to mess it up. The way he dances, walks or behaves, his voice in the most ordinary dialogs, the expressiveness of his gaze, the inner struggle to find who he truly is, every detail his performance is composed with, beyond the most discussed such as the fabulous voice — a vocal amalgam between the actor, Mercury himself and Christian rock musician Marc Martel — is what enriches and makes it — with the permission of Christian Bale and Willem Dafoe — the best performance in a mainstream film by an actor in 2018. A tough call is to choose which would be the best interpretation between Malek's brilliant PG-13 performance or the supposedly suggestive, raw R-rated by Baron Cohen. Regardless of your choice, we'd probably have a mind-bending Mercury in front of us. Having said that, the lead man's brutal showcase aside, some factually-based re-creations are deftly realistic, notably two quick-witted music-videos incorporations and the monumental, unforgettable closing sequence at Wembley Stadium. To say that the 1985's Live Aid re-creation, such a symbolic, meaningful 20-minute performance for the history of rock music, is perfect would be a whopper of a lie; by being gratefully long, its pace and rhythm tend to drop constantly, the editing work is respectful but some cheap CGI crowds and quick cuts feel plainly contrived; nevertheless, the Live Aid performance was the first sequence they filmed for the movie and it is astonishing all along, because of the dimension of the event itself, powerful because of the authenticity and concordance duplicating the epic clip; seeing Malek playing with his crowd and then seeing Mercury do the same is breathtakingly beautiful, and that, keeping in mind such a challenging feat, should be considered a real achievement. The 80s', as an eye-catching and helpful visual and narrative resource, are depicted in a lackluster but congruent way, the compositions lack energy and spark even speaking about a time where color and brightness were in its greatest splendor. Directed flat-out by Bryan Singer and replaced during the last days of shooting by Dexter Fletcher, the film is not artistically daring, provocative or inspiring, is freely faithful and straightforward, bombastic when it shouldn't, slow-paced and off-and-on when ironically the most gigantic spectacle must come up. The editing work, especially in the quick montages on the concert performances and significant plot knots, is compelling and kinetic, however, pushing the hyperactive cuts out, the biopic loses its touch and starts slowly tearing apart just for rising from the ashes along the last 20 minutes. "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Bryan Singer and certainly polished by Dexter Fletcher is not, by no means, the "Queen" definitive biopic, nor it is Freddie Mercury's. In short, a conventionally entertaining biographical film only aimed by Rami Malek's pitch-perfect performance. 20th Century Fox's turbulent production will once again make the British band's iconic anthems popular, will once again bring the leading man into the spotlight, will have thousands of angry fans and will please the less fussy ones on the legacy of a group of visionaries who has long been a crucial part in the history of rock music. With a strong supporting cast — especially Lucy Boynton and Ben Hardy, — the all-time great musical support, some impressive re-creations and a performance by Malek for the ages, "Bohemian Rhapsody" is not a boring time at the movies, is an artistic composition that fails on most of its fronts; a look-over as superficial as diluted through the lifetime of five men who found in freedom of expression, queer spirit, togetherness and unique personalities a safe space for perennial memory.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byGeorge g. February 14, 2019

GREAT

It was a entertaining movie telling you a little bit of what went on behind the band. I think it's perfect for any age as it has nothing that's going to effect you or your children. cocaine is shown on table but you dont see anyone snorting it. No violence no sex just a very flamboyant Freddie mercury
Adult Written byCultClassic Reviews February 10, 2019

Cracked Perfection and Prosthetics

I'll make this one short. I saw this film on opening night, and, as a massive fan of Queen, my expectations were a little higher than usual. I was pleasantly surprised at how everything turned out, specifically Rami Malek, who gives the performance of his life as Freddie Mercury, partially due to a mouthful of fake teeth. From a critical standpoint, the film wasn't perfect, but what film isn't? Queen made music to entertain, and this was filmed for the same reason. The director(s) wanted to enlighten the world as to why Queen was so electric, and they pretty much nailed it. The audience stood up and sang Bohemian Rhapsody during the fantastically perfect Live Aid sequence, and when Rami's Mercury belts that final note, an ovation. Don't watch the movie to tear it apart, as so many did to the titular song when it was released. Watch it for the feeling, the emotion, the energy of the music. To please those who use this website as it's intended: - A lot of language - Lots of sexual themes (nothing explicit) - Some violence (more comical than graphic) - Tons of substance abuse (illegal drugs [i.e. cocaine, pot, heroin] and alcohol take center stage) - Lots of heavy concepts are portrayed that younger people won't be able to grasp, such as mortality, disease, marital strife, and extreme guilt. - Freddie Mercury, despite his vices, is a perfect role model. He followed his ambition to the ends of the earth, and made history as the greatest frontman of all time. No cheating, no shortcuts; just pure talent and dedication.

Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byJulie St-F January 19, 2019

Uplifting messages, and a slice of history

We saw this movie with our 13 year-old and 11 year-old. There drug references went buy so quickly I almost missed them. Sex is implied, but nothing happens onscreen. There is plenty of swearing, but it's not overwhelming. While you do learn of Freddie's AIDS diagnosis at the end of the movie, not a whole lot of time is spent on it, pre-teens may need a bit of help to understand the context, particularly the stigma and lack of treatment options at the time. What does get done well: The true meaning of friendship. The band is a family, and Freddie comes to realize he needs their support, and their pushback. Him and Mary remain loyal friends, even though their marriage doesn't work out. Whereas Paul manipulates Freddy, and only seems to leech of the benefits of fame. It's also made clear that Freddy loves and values his family, even if his relationship with his father is strained. Racism and homophobia are there but, not a big plot point. It really is about the music and the band. The actors do an incredible job and it's great fun to watch the music taking shape.

Adult Written byrutmea December 29, 2018

11/10

Went to see Bohemian Rhapsody today and its the best thing I have seen in years...whether that is because I love the music...I am not sure. I think it was a well written, well acted movie. The emotion was there...gave me a better insight into Freddie Mercury (if those were really his thoughts acted out). I had chills and would have liked to have seen this 2.20mins movie go for another hour! I was dissapointed to read the reviews by the so called 'pros'. Just goes to show you ....you have to see a movie and judge for yourself! it was simply AMAZING!
Adult Written byTaylorahsleya667 December 25, 2018

For Mature 9 +

I took my soon to be 9 year old to see this. I read many reviews and was anticipating some moments. You all know your kids and their maturity levels. There was no violence or sex scenes or drug use. Nothing a kid would stop and question. My son loves music and knows all the words to Queen hits album so for him this movie was a treat! It’s very artsy and more about a man going for his dreams! There’s lessons and magical moments and the music is great! We sang along aloud the entire movie he even got up and danced at the end scene. You know your kids so the choice is up to you.
Adult Written byJohannab26 March 23, 2019
Adult Written byKrisbie March 2, 2019

Great movie - but not for kids

I have a 16 and a 10 year old. There were many scenes in this movie that I would not want to view with my children. While theres no actual nudity the sexual inuendos and make out scenes were extremely blatant. Briallant movie for those mature enough to understand the content. I would not recommend under 17.