All member reviews for Bonnie and Clyde

Parent of a 16 year old Written byTsion June 19, 2012

Older Teens and Adults

Bonnie & Clyde is a magnificent achievement in American film, signaling the start of the "New Hollywood" age of the 1970s that brought classics like Chinatown, The French Connection, and The Godfather. People interested in viewing this film should know that it is really a movie for adults. Its large messages about society and violence, as well as its wit and frequent satirical humor, will fly over any kids' heads. That said, its inappropriate content isn't as graphic or restrictive as most PG-13 movies today. Sex is minor. Bonnie awakens topless at the film's start, but nothing aside from her bare back is seen and the scene itself is nonsexual in nature. She frequently tries to have sex with Clyde, but he refuses, due to probable impotence or possible homosexuality (the film never elaborates). One suggestive scene shows intense (clothed) foreplay between the two before he cuts it off. They do eventually have sex before the movie's end, but it is entirely off screen (we don't even see them kiss). Language is mild as well, with many "d**n"s, "h**l"s, and "b**ch"s but no "f" words. The movie's violence was shocking when it was released, but is less so today. Many people are shot with accompanying blood. The first person shot in the movie is shot point blank in the face, and we briefly see accompanying blood splatter. The two heroes are relentlessly shot by police officers, who riddle them with blood and bullets even after it's clear that they're dead. Despite the blood, little else is shown. Many shootings don't show any blood at all. Some kids might think that the movie praises Bonnie and Clyde's actions, if they are unable to glimpse the larger messages of the film. 16 is a good age for this one. The content is age appropriate, and kids will be able to appreciate the film itself.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byLB2010 June 17, 2010

A classic - OK for teens

I love this movie but no way I would want my kid to watch it until she's a teenager. I think it *does* romanticize the gangster world. Bonnie and Clyde would have been called terrorists today. But here the movie shows them as lovable and kind of adorable. You watch this movie, and you want them to win. The ending is quite heartbreaking. Then you read the facts of what they really did - it was far more horrifying in real life than in the movie. The imagery of that ending will stay with you for the rest of your life, it is so intense, so very horrifying. I watched this movie as a teenager, and the ending haunted me for a long time.
Kid, 11 years old December 18, 2011

:D

It's one of those classics that you need to see in your lifetime. The ending is one of the most famous movie scenes.
Teen, 17 years old Written bycopperzinc July 1, 2009

Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares April 9, 2009

Outside of 1962's The Manchurian Candidate, this is the closest thing American cinema of the 1960's has to the greatess of the French New Wave era.
Teen, 14 years old Written by<flyboy> April 9, 2008

#27 AFI, #1 Gangster Film (My Opinion)

Bonnie &amp; Clyde is unflinchingly graphic, considered excessively violent for its day. In the last scene the two characters are gunned down in slow motion, so know your kid if they can handle it. Don't be fooled because its unrated, it is R for the violence. But this movie is nevertheless flawless for the mature. Just a comment, I don't think this film glorifies being a gangster. Particularly towards the end, Bonnie &amp; Clyde are unhappy and desperate. Obviously, it ultimately means crime doesn't pay.