All member reviews for Bowling for Columbine

Must-see gun violence documentary is brutal.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymr socko April 9, 2008

Amazing

this movie is definatley one of the best ive ver seen and was both funny and scary at the same time but i think that michael morre is great in the way he did this film it definetly earned that oscar. Mairlyn manson though creepy raises good point in his interview i think the cartoon was hillarious GREAT MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byBrando804 August 1, 2010

Must See For All Ages! The Real Truth About The Root Of This Country's Violent Nature!

This film points out that violent things happen not because of violent music, movies, or television; but because of our country's violent history. Officially one of my favorite documentarys next to This Film Is Not yet Rated and Bill Maher's Religulous. I ave also read Michael Moore's books and seen the rest of his films and he is truly brilliant.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylafluer62 March 25, 2010
A compelling documentary about guns, violence, the media, and war. I think this is must see for teens concerned with global issues. As far as content goes, there are some violent images, but nothing worse than what is shown on the news. I don't remember any particular strong language, nothing kids haven't heard before. I think before anyone votes, they should watch this movie. It will make you question your views.
Adult Written byScalesian April 9, 2008

Enter with a open mind...

Unlike what much of the right-wing propagandists say about him, Michael Moore know how to make a thought-provoking and entertaining film. And he does his research. His website has pages of fact-corroborating links and bibliographical information. I do not always agree with him, but when he makes a point, he gives good reasons. Reviewers at this site who have trashed this movie must be taken with a grain of salt...I am suspicious that they never actually watched a film made by Moore, but are defaming him (and his work) based on heresay. I trust the kids' reviews more.
Teen, 13 years old Written byuhya May 7, 2011
this movie is great and very interesting. some things to worry about are the violence in the film and 5 f-words and a couple uses of f*g. great documentary though.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byFinnella Flanagan October 29, 2009

Save for the older teens

A good movie, but I'm waiting till my kids are older to share it with them. Since my older son tends to be mature, I may let him see it before he's 17, but on average, I think waiting is best for most kids. There is one terrific conversation in the movie about how the miseries of high school don't matter after graduation. For any kids who feel out of place and/or bullied, it's a good message. And lots of good discussion material for kids as they approach graduation and going out into the world.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMansonMarilyn April 19, 2013

Good points!

I'm twelve, and I just watched this movie because I heard what Marilyn Manson said in it (I love Marilyn Manson) and it's really good. I guess I'm kind of into politics, hence why I like Marilyn Manson, so I enjoyed this movie. It brought up really good points. I recommend parents watch this with their kids just to make sure they get what's going on. Don't let Marilyn Manson being in it stop you from letting your kids watch it, he's really intelligent and definitely a better influence than anybody on the radio today *cough* Nicki Minaj *cough*
Parent Written byEnglishMummy February 3, 2012

Good to watch with your children

I watched this with my 12-year-old son who is doing a school project on gun control. There was bad language but nothing he hadn't already heard. There wasn't as much violence as I had been expecting. It is mainly Michael Moore speaking to people about guns and was absolutely fascinating, especially as we are English (living in the US) and really not used to guns. Certainly a useful resource for the project and I had no problem with my son watching it. In fact, I would have been happy for my 11-year-old son to watch it and probably even my 9-year-old daughter because there was a lot for us to discuss. I would have drawn the line at my 7-year-old daughter but only because she wouldn't understand it.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn September 15, 2011

Hilarious, Powerful, Heartbreaking and Heart wrenching. This moving documentary is insightful viewing for teens and up

Bowling for Columbine is some sort of masterpiece of a doccumentary, and probably Michael Moore best (and most famous) documentary, in my opinioon. Despite the R Rating, I do believe that this is a very good viewing for most teens young and old, since it depicts the lifestyles of gun lovers and the effects that can happen on people's lives in some of the most tragic of ways. Yes, all of the violence is real, and is often explicit and bloody, and there is some infrequent strong language including 4 F-words and several sexual references, but the main thing here is the violence, which works in the movie's favor since it is what it is about, so that makes sense. A great movie, and very interesting and entertaining for most teens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWyattopia July 16, 2011

If you have a kid into politics, they need to watch this.

If your kid is into politics, no matter what age, I think they should see this. There are a lot of f words and gory violence, but if you know your kid can handle it, let them watch this movie. Very entertaining and could easily convert a Republican to a Democrat, so be careful.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviewatcher2000 May 17, 2011
Teen, 17 years old Written byluvanger October 11, 2009

A fine film, although I don't agree with everything in it.

Teens should watch this film, because it does have some good points, but not everything in it is completely accurate. In an ideal world, we would have no need for guns or violence. But just because truly violent people have guns, it's no reason for others not to. After all, the violent people aren't going to be emotionally compelled to put away their weapons thanks to a Michael Moore documentary, so why should we? If we give up the guns, and they don't, aren't we just giving up our protection? And as for changing gun laws, one of the Columbine killers had the following to say in video footage: "Go ahead and change gun laws. How do you think we got ours?" They broke guns laws and bought their weapons illegally. This is a documentary about violence, so of course it's going to contain violent images, and there's some swearing as well. But even though I didn't always agree with this movie, I think that older teens should still watch it (as well as other films representing the other side) so that they may have their own informed opinion.
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 July 24, 2009
Adult Written byLowe's man June 28, 2016

incomplete but still informative

I watched this movie looking for answers about what triggered this particular mass shooting. I didn't get an answer there like I was hoping to, but I did get some answers to the problem of gun violence in general. Michael Moore is not unbiased, as he is a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association. To see a member of the NRA strongly favor stricter gun laws is commendable all by itself. Moore obviously sees the gun issue from both sides. Watching this movie may or may not give you all the answers you're looking for, but it will give you some. This movie is depressing but needed.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 25, 2013

Unfortunately relevant

Living in an America where things like Sandy Hook and the Aurora Massacre have happened, "Bowling" was, and probably always will, sadly, stay relevant. Ambushing stars like Heston and Clark was sort of tasteless, but the thoughts that surround you after the movie ends makes up for it. My favorite segment involved Moore with the Canadians, who had no problem sleeping with their doors unlocked, having no fear of their neighbors.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycandylover56 February 19, 2012

A good documentary

Bowling for Columbine was an entertaining and informative documentary. My only major issue was that alot of the information was pretty biased. There are some senes that were somewhat hard to watch and there were swear words aswell. Overall though, an intereting and captivating documentary.
Adult Written byKellynicole4518 November 10, 2011

#1 Documentary for Teens of Today

Best documentary for the young people of today. Michael Moore does a fantastic job explaining why we Americans are the way we are. He asks questions and doesn't try to twist people's answers one way or the other. Purely informative. Teens viewing this will see both things they agree with as well as interesting facts about the world today that they might not have known before.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydtlounge7 August 8, 2009

not as bad as they say

a great message. common sense gives it a 17+. i give it a 14+
Kid, 12 years old April 5, 2009

NRA for ever!

It is plainly a movie about the Second Amendment. There is archival footage of the Colombine Massacres, but that is just to prove Moore's point. There is nothing too inappropriate.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylecritic March 23, 2009

One of the Best Documentaries I've ever seen

This didn't deserve an R, but should be close. As for common sense media giving it a 17+ is way off. A very good movie. I'm 13, and I loved it. Everyone should see this movie.