All member reviews for Boys Don't Cry

Excellent but brutal drama examines life of transsexual man.

Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 14, 2011

imprssive film is not for kids

What to watch out for * Messages: While the film is sympathetic to Brandon, some characters express strong homophobic sentiments. * Violence: A graphic murder. * Sex: Brutal sexual assault, sex scenes. * Language: Very strong language. * Consumerism: Not an issue. * Drinking, drugs, & smoking: Plenty of substance abuse (pot and alcohol).
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 January 8, 2015

True life tale rocks you to the core

I should've realized coming in but I did not expect this movie to hit me as hard as it did. Perhaps it is a testament to the fine acting featured in this movie, most prominently that of Hilary Swank, who embodies trans man Brandon Teena with a passion for love and a desire to be accepted. True life dramas are always the hardest to shake off after the credits roll. The story of Brandon will stick with me forever, as will this movie, a tragic romance about two people who accept and love each other regardless of their differences. There's horrible but necessary scenes of rape to convey the horror of the situation, but there's also unnecessary graphic sex scenes director Kimberly Peirce could have left out. Regardless, it's a very well done movie, but it is solely for adults.
Written byAnonymous September 8, 2014

This movie is NOT for young teens.

I do not regret watching this movie, but I do wish I had known that there was a scene involving graphic sexual assault at the end, as I would have preferred to skip past it. The way that the movie handles everything was very well done and extremely heart wrenching.
Adult Written bywonder dove November 25, 2013

Rollercoaster of emotions...

This film was truly great with an amazing message about acceptance and staying true to yourself. 90's movies are made so well. It was a disturbing yet powerful look at a young woman's life named Teena Brandon (Hilary Swank) who has a severe sexual identity crisis. She switches her name to Brandon Teena, cuts her hair and wears men's clothing hoping to pass for a real man. She meets a group of people at a bar and they immediately take to her (him) as Brandon and finally feels accepted, especially when she meets and falls in love with Lana (Chloe Sevigny) who thinks Brandon is just the kindest down-to-earth guy. One of the groups leaders, John (Peter Saarsgaard) starts to suspect something odd about Brandon and finds out the truth which leads to disturbingly brutal consequences. This was a very sad look at finding your true self and having it accepted by those close to you and then having to explain the truth afterword. The language is very strong with tons of f-words (over 80!) and other common words along with a few middle fingers. Violence is very strong and gory with shootings killing two people and then a stabbing, corpses are seen lying in a pool of blood. A brutal rape occurs where two men beat and rape a young woman. A woman shows up beaten with cuts and bruises. Lots of outbursts of anger resulting in chair throwing, wall punching, yelling, crying and pushing. A character is thrown off the back of a truck during a dangerous game. A man drives recklessly and gets stopped by a cop. Some bullying and peer pressure throughout. Sexual content is also strong and includes a woman disguised as a man having sex with another woman who thinks she's a man, we see them kissing passionately and eventually thrusting on top of her when he uses a sexual device on her, some moaning sounds and one breast is shown. An off-screen oral sex scene with some slight sounds. Another sex scene but nothing explicit like the first, removal of clothing but no nudity. A man strips a woman against her will to reveal her gender and we see her nude full-frontal for about 5 seconds. A woman wraps a bandage around her breasts to flatten them, we see her breasts for a couple seconds. There is plenty of drinking, some smoking and drug use though not graphic. Strong content is not recommended for under 18, adults only!!!
Adult Written bydavyborn April 21, 2013

One powerful, brutal film. Most definitely not for the faint of heart.

Kimberly Pierce's (Stop-Loss, the upcoming "Carrie" remake) absolutely, astonishingly riveting and life-affecting first film, Boys Don't Cry, debuted in late 1999, when the 1993 murder of real life transexual Nebraska teenager, Brandon Teena, was still fresh in the American conciousness. Now, the film is nearly fourteen years old, and it still remains one of the most heartwrenching, brutal, cold, and, ultmately, powerful and uplifting drama's to ever proudly brace the indie scene. Hilary Swank stars as Brandon Teena, a young woman living in rural Nebraska who is experiencing what you would call, a sexual identity crisis. She doesn't even think of herself as a transexual. She just likes to dress, act and live her life as a male. After a particularly ugy early scene with some locals and an argument with her cousin, she ends up in Falls City, Nebraska. There, she makes friends with several people, most of them linked to one family, including John Lotter (Peter Sarsgaard), Tom Nissen (Brendan Sexton III), Candace (Alicia Goranson) and Lana Tisdel (Chloë Sevigny). Now, at first, things are great in Brandon's new life. She hangs out constantly and particularly with John, Tom and Lana. But, as she discovers just how dangerous it is to be involved wth John and his group of friends, she also discovers the dangers of falling in love with Lana, who is close wth John. Now, Hilary Swank conveys a perfrmance that will knock you down to the ground, warp your brain around about what people think about the nature of a transexual person, and it will leave you shaking and reveling. But, at the same time, it is nothing less than absolutely, nerve-shatteringly brutal about what ends up happening to Brandon, after the family finds out about her identity, and John and Tom end up brutally and horrifically raping her in a scene that will be too much for virtually any viewer to take. But, it is also in the power of Chloe Sevigny, who also deserves much praise for her performance as Lana, who, as the film progresses, acts as a sort of fall-back person for Brandon to lean on, in the end giving her enough strength to carry on, even if, tragically, it wouldn't be for much longer. Now, Kimberly Pierce should be grandly lauded for what she had accomplished at the time, back in 1999, for the total life-changing experience that she had made for reportedly under a two million dollar budget. She uses her camera as not a device of glorifcation, but of a cold, sad, gut-shatteringly real look at what somebody had to go through, and, in this respect, she deserves even more credit for actually making a film that can help teenagers, and anyone, really, dealing with the same problems that Teena delt with. In the end, really, it is entirely mean't to be positive. Now, this film is Rated R, but parents truly need to know that is a film that will be more powerful than nearly anything else that either them or there children would ever encounter in there lifetime, and it skates the edge of the NC-17 Rating so closely, that it basically embraces it: Boy's Don't Cry features a stifling amount of story-accurate and uncomfortable stong graphic sexual content and nudity, incluing several lesbian sex scenes including much nudity of breasts, buttocks, and crotches, and, of course, in the form of horrific violence, the brutal and utterly heart-wrenching rape scene. Also, connecting to the field of violence, there are also a few brutal murders and shootings, with gallons of blood on display. Also, there is an incredible amount of alcohol consumption, drinking and drug use in this film, on display in what seems like virtually every scene. And, finally, there is relentless strong language, including hundreds of uses each of f--k, sh-t, b-tch, h-ll, d-mn, g-dd-mn, d-ke, f-gg-t, and more. Boy's Don't Cry is a film that carries with it an astonishing array of sadness ad powerful ideas, but, as such, while it may actually play well with teens who will understand the themes and situations that Teena wen't through, be advised that it is extremely explicit in nearly every way, and is asolutely, under no circumstances what so ever, a film that the faint of heart should ever watch. You have been warned. Reccomended.
Parent of a 14 year old Written by......... November 11, 2011

Harrowing, gritty, hard to watch, well crafted film

As harrowing and heartbreaking as this movie is it's also hard to imagine that the Brandon Teena story is true, But its also a great movie. I cried for about half an hour after I watched it. Yes the sex scenes are graphic and the murder and gang rape are hard to watch and unsettling, but thats why its rated R. Its a good movie and I think its fine for 14 and up to watch.
Teen, 16 years old Written bythefalconater January 3, 2011

Great movie, if you're ready

My mom actually was totally cool with me watching this movie. I think it's because there was way more to it than the small sexual scenes that seem to be the huge turn off for parents. This movie is for those who are mature and can handle it. "Boy's Don't Cry" is a great movie, the acting is spectacular and I commend Hilary Swank for taking on this challenging role. I appreciate the movie entirely, it's a fantastic drama that will leave you speechless.

A tragic and intense movie.

If you are under the age of 17 this movie is NOT for you. My mom was hysterical when she found out i saw this movie. also this movie includes and intense brutal gangrape . I'm the kind of kid that thinks seeing rated "R" movies is fun because they are different, but not this movie. I'm not saying this is a bad movie, it really is very good, just if you're old enough. (the fact that it is based on a true story is also a big part of the utter shock of the movie).
Teen, 13 years old Written bykidcritic April 9, 2008

NC-17. You Must Be Kidding?

Boys Don’t Cry tells the incredible groundbreaking story of Brandon Teena, a transgendered teen who related to a male identity even though was born female. I cant even get over how well crafted this film was, it had everything most films these days lack and that’s a story that moves and persuades people with every last minute of life that can protrude out of it. But there is one thing that also makes me mad when I see this film and that is the fact that it received a NC-17 rating because of the “graphic” (barley) lesbian sex. I wasn’t bothered by it. I mean it showed two people in love and basic female pleasure that you usually don’t see in most films. People just need to sometimes set aside their morals when they watch a film. Kudos for writer/director Kimberly Peirce for making her feature film debut with this extravagant Oscar winner. This is a must see for all film buffs. No matter what age.