All member reviews for Brave

Kid, 11 years old July 8, 2012

Great family movie! A little intense.

This is a great movie that shows a great bond between Marida (the princess) and her mom. I am 10 years old and I found a few scenes quite intense. A little girl in the theater says she had to close her eyes. There is also a couple of scenes with much violence (no gore). The mother and father do have a little bit intense romance moment for a kids movie at the end. Great movie overall! Would love to see it again!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmartkitty July 6, 2012

super cool

this movie realy scared my four year old cusin but its awsome
Teen, 14 years old Written bymootchnika July 6, 2012

Great Messages!

i think it was a cute movie! even as a teen i liked it! I recommend this movie because it sent a good message to mothers and daughters. One maid showed to much cleavage for kids. She stuck a keydown her shirt and the kids jumped down her shirt as a plan to get the key. except for that, it was an adorable! i think it was a great familymovie for kids and teens of all ages!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybeccylucy July 5, 2012

A BUTT IS A BUTT, THEY ARE ALL THE SAME

My friends and I went to see Brave as a group a couple days after it came out. We were all excited about the female lead being a little tougher than other Disney princesses and not as perfect. I will admit that it was not my favorite Pixar movie, but I did enjoy it. There was a lot more violence in this movie than other Pixar movies, but it was NO WHERE near a PG-13 rating. The scenes with the bear would be scary to younger children , so I wouldn't suggest it for anyone under 6 or 7 unless they are mature. At the begging of the movie Merida seemed to be just like she was portrayed in the commercials, a strong female lead who could stick up for herself and make her own decisions. But when the movie started she was slightly immature and is very rude to her mother. (Not to say that I wouldn't be if I was going to be forced into marriage.) Her attitude does get much worse before it begins to get better and by the end of the movie she has grown up , and over all changed her attitude for the better. The "sexual content" in the movie is so discreet that the children in our theater didn't get any of it. At the very beginning the King does pinch the queens butt, and there are naked butts in the movie but PLEASE GROW UP A LITTLE. A butt is a butt, they all look the same.
Teen, 16 years old Written byOGORMAN July 5, 2012

I'm somewhat disappointed in Disney...

I give credit to Disney for teaching kids about another country's culture, but aside from that and a few other things... this Disney movie is one that I probably wouldn't watch more than once. I'll start with the things I liked from the movie: When Merida first runs into the will o' the wisps they are cute little blue things, although the noises they make are somewhat creepy and ominous and may freak out younger children. The witch in herself (played by Julie Walters "Mrs. Weasley" in Harry Potter) is not scary AT ALL. When Merida meets her, the cover story she has for her business is funny (it was the only time during the movie where I actually laughed). Merida's mother put a slight smile on my face the way she tried to remain proper even when she was a bear. Though he is meant to be frightening (and definitely will frighten young children) I found the "evil" bear to be a high point of the movie for me. I say "evil" because they found a creative way of tying him into the movie with the story. Now for the bad... The will o' the wisps and Mordu, the "evil" bear, will definitely strike fear in children under 7 or 8. Though it is meant to be comical, it is still mildly inappropriate in a scene where many naked male Scottish rears are shown. They are cartoon bums so they aren't nasty, but still... Merida's three little brothers were nowhere near as cute as I thought they were going to be. They were actually quite conniving and could only be bribed in order to help their sister. Merida's suitors were absolutely ridiculous and totally stereotypical: *SPOILER ALERT* the narcissistic pretty-boy, the skinny and awkward geek, and the poor guy you can't understand at all when he speaks. *END OF SPOILER* Being a Disney movie, I really expected more, but my standards are most likely too high because I grew up with all of the fantastic Disney classics like Toy Story, Lion King, Tarzan, and all the rest. A little fun fact to close this: It took 6 Pixar research engineers more than 3 years to develop the computer program (Taz, named after the Tasmanian Devil) that animated every single one of Merida's 1,500 red curls. Wow!
Kid, 7 years old July 5, 2012

Great movie and NOT so scary!

My husband, daughter, 7, and son, 5, went to see this movie yesterday and we all LOVED it! I was hesitant with all of the reviews that said how inappropriate they thought it was for kids our kids ages and we kept warning them that there may be scary parts coming up. Seriously? This movie was no more scary than any Disney movie we have seen! Did my kids ever cover their eyes? For like two seconds - they were anticipating scary parts I was warning them about, but they were fine. They never sat on our laps or cried or asked to leave the theater. They didn't have nightmares. They loved every minute and they learned a valuable lesson about communication with your parents and how parents sometimes try to teach you things that you may not like out of love for you! It was not all dark and gloomy as we were made to believe. There was no more witchcraft than any other Disney movie (probably less than many - I thought The Princess and the Frog was much scarier in that area). It was a great movie and even better on the big screen, I am sure! Know your kids, but if they have seen Sleeping Beauty or Princess and the Frog and made it through the scary parts, they'll be fine in this movie! Really! It was very enjoyable for all!
Teen, 15 years old Written bygilly_boy July 3, 2012

Can be touching.

I just have one main problem, two scenes had nudity. Nothing major, mostly guys and one girl caught without clothes and another scene where a bear boy slipping into the upper part of a women's dress, where head goes through. I have to say, there was one scene that was really touching, it brought me to tears which doesn't happen often. If a movie makes me cry then it's a watch from me. Merida really tried so hard to fix her mistake but she should've really thought more carefully on the wording. Something like "I want a spell to change my mother's mind in the idea of getting married." That's just my thought, go and watch the movie; see what you think.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhunterkjones July 3, 2012

Excellent for families and teens – ★★★★★

While the storyline was painfully cliché, the character development and presentation of this new family flick makes it the best Pixar film since its acquirement by Disney.
Kid, 11 years old July 2, 2012

Well, I really like medieval times and anything that has to do with kings or castles. :)

My plans were changed. I was originally going up to the theater to watch a different movie when my father said that my younger sister- nine years old- might be bored sitting through the movie. So, seeing as there was one movie she might want to watch, we saw Brave. And well, it was actually pretty good. It might be a bit scary for smaller children in some parts, but overall, not very scary. There is some violence, with partial nudity- just comical- and some drinking, but not overly excessive. Overall, since I haven't seen anything overly satisfactory pumped out of Disney or Pixar for awhile, it was very good.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymrbookworm01 June 30, 2012

Really good, but too scary for younger children

I saw this movie today and it was really good. It has some surprisingly scary scenes, but nothing too intense for older children. I liked that the main character, Marida, is self-reliant, courageous, and, unlike most Disney princesses, isn't obsessed with romance and meeting their true love. OK for kids 9+. Educational: Kids might learn a little about Scotish culture. Violence: A lot of pretty scary scenes, mainly towards the middle and end. The beginning shows Merida's father losing his leg to a bear, but it's not shown on-screen. Merida and her mother frequently argue. Some scary encounters with vicious bears, but nobody is seriously hurt. The witch and the evil bear, Mardu, can both be frightening to younger children. Some lighter battles between the Scotsman, and some slapstick violence. Sex: Elinor and Fergus are a couple and frequently hug and at one point, Fergus hits her on the bottom. At the end, Elinor is naked and covered by a sheet, but nothing is shown, and Fergus takes notice. Also, some moments show naked animated bottoms. Consumerism: No product placement, but merchandise like dolls, a video game, and other things are for sale. Drinking: Some casual drinking among adults, but nothing excessive.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytiramisu June 28, 2012

2 year old even laughed in "scary" parts!!!!

This is a really good movie, not scary at all! my 2 year old brother was laughing the whole time, but he thought how to train your dragon was REALLY scary, so it's okay.
Kid, 10 years old June 27, 2012

Think About It

I recently watched Brave. I didn't think it was overly scary,and that it was done gracefully,but it probably is off for 4-year old princess lovers. Brave is not a fairy tale, and some parts are night mare inducing.With fabulous animation (I would kill for that hair), comes also realness.It isn't Tangled,per say.But Merida is a great role model for rebellious younger ones.Most of the innuendos will fly right over smaller kids head. You might pause for your first, second, or even third grader, but Brave is actually very good.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybird1541351 June 26, 2012

Great!

This is a great movie, but I wold probably rate it four stars. I had high expectations for Disney Pixar after seeing Cars 2, Brave reached my satisfactory level. Although my little sister covered up her ears and eyes for most of the movie, it's fine for older ones.
Kid, 12 years old June 26, 2012

Scary PG movie

This is an okay movie. Its really scary for kids i thought and it could be very sad at parts. Yes during the movie you see some naked bums but it is animated! The bears are really scary at some parts. Overall i wasnt as satisfied as i wanted to be. I went into the theater with high expectations and when i came out they werent all met.
Kid, 10 years old June 25, 2012

Pretty Good! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOved it!

Now, I just saw the movie yesterday and I was looking at the reviews earlier in the week and was saying to myself"Why would people say this is bad for 8 year olds?" Well,now I know. It is just a wee bit violent in some scenes and it sometimes does suprises you, but hey, it's a disney movie, and all disney movies have a happy ending :D Over all, it's a great movie for kids 10 and up
Kid, 10 years old June 24, 2012

Sweet but Violent.

I saw Brave the day It came out and I have things to saw. I loved it. The best movie ever saw. However, my little sister seemed scared during the battle scenes witch cove about 65% of the movie. Also many times bear behinds are shown and the queen is naked under a blanket. Nothing below her neck is seen though. I loved how in the end the affection shown between the mother and her daughter Over all I rate it a three.
Kid, 12 years old June 23, 2012

Not the best Pixar movie but, this one is wonderful!

My rating: PG for scary sequences and action, some rude humor, and a few comical scenes of nudity.
Teen, 15 years old Written bypatilly100 June 23, 2012

Change your Fate, but Don't Bring the Kiddies

I loved this movie, but there is a very big issue I want to stress. Even though Common Sense Media has a warning in the sex area about a maid having ample cleavage, it goes further than that. (capitalized for easy view) THE MAID SLIPS A KEY DOWN THE FRONT OF HER DRESS, NEAR HER BREASTS. THREE LITTLE BEARS (HUMAN KIDS, MAYBE FIVE OR SIX YEARS OLD) HATCH A PLAN TO TAKE IT BACK, AND ONE OF THEM JUMPS FROM A HIGHER PLACE, INTO THE WOMAN'S BREASTS, WITH CLOSE-UP OF THEM.
Kid, 11 years old June 22, 2012

One of Pixar's Best

This film is one of Pixar's best. Heartwarming, tearjerking, and hilarious, this film succeeds. It earns the money that it makes (there were tons of people in line). The acting is well done, great script, beautiful animation, and great directing. Awesome. The only problem is that it borrows some storylines and is not completely original. Now, the parental review. There is a lot of educational value, positive messages, and positive role models. It teaches that you need to be glad for your mother. After the movie, I saw a lot of daughters and mothers hugging each other and showing affections. :) There are a lot of intense scenes and animal violence. There is also kind of a jumpy scene. You know, to help you, I'll tell you what it is. When Merida is walking through the snow, the ice suddenly breaks and she falls. For sexual content, a man shows his gluteus maximus to other people, but the camera angle is on the opposite side so you don't see anything. Also, the maid wears a low-cut dress and hides a key under her dress. The boy jumps in her dress and takes the key. That's pretty strong for a Pixar movie. There are also boys' gluteus maximuses shown. There's no product placement in the actual film, but there is a lot of Brave merchandise sold in stores. There is beer shown in the movie. So I suggest that you go to the movies with your kids and have a heartwarming and good time together.
Kid, 9 years old June 22, 2012

i saw it the day it came out in 3d!

this can be scary the one on one bear fight secen can be scary!