All member reviews for Brave

Teen, 14 years old Written bydisneylove February 27, 2014

Good story, GREAT ANIMATION!

Brave is highly appealing to me and tons of kids everywhere. A strong female role model with a highly likable face and personality really adds pizzazz to the story. (Plus, she has an accent!) Despite the scary scenes with Mor'Du, Brave really sends a strong message to kids about mother-daughter love and bonding. The music is really folksy and adorable. But this is nothing compared to the great CGI animation! The best scene, in my opinion, is when Merida and her mother are catching fish in the brook. Absolutely beautiful film- but don't show it to your kids if they are easily frightened. Also, there is some arguing between Merida and her mother that might put some people off.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydorothyqu December 21, 2013

Great for teens, alright for younger kids

As a teenage girl, I loved the message that Brave expressed. I think that mostly kids older than ten would enjoy it- that's when kids start to develop their individuality and start to disagree with their parents. Younger kids would most likely root for Merida, but they'd be bored with the lack of notoriously evil villains. The theme is relatively serious- Elinor and Merida are a lovely mother-daughter couple until Merida realizes that the proper and prim life as a princess is not for her, and so their relationship is strained. She enjoys being herself and exercising her freedom in the form of riding through the forest and shooting arrows, both of which are unladylike. Younger children would probably not be at odds with their parents and would therefore not understand the idea that the movie tries to convey. It's just about individuality and being brave enough to stand up for yourself- no romance, no inappropriate things. The characters are great role models- they're flawed but understanding, because you don't have to be perfect to be an individual. It has especially great female role models. Both mother and daughter are apt and independent characters who are both stubborn and loving. This film definitely affected me and made me appreciate my mother more, so it's a great refresher for those teens who are so self-involved that they usually don't think of the POV of their parents. They're people too- not just barricades to your freedom.
Kid, 12 years old August 11, 2012

PARENTS NO OFFENSE YOU ARE ALL SISSIES (except for the others that think it's not scary cause it ISN'T)

PARENTS U ALL ARE SUCH SISSIES MAKING YOUR KIDS SUPER SISSIES THISMOVIE HAS NO SCARY SCENES HAS NOTHING IT'S PG SO QUIET SAYING IT SHOULD BE PG-13, MY GOSH YOU PPL ARE SO ANNOYING UGH. MY PARENTS ON THE OTHER HAND ARE WAY AWESOMER THEY KNOW THE AGES MY BROTHER IS 6 AND HE DIDN'T GET SCARED A BIT MY GOSH SO ANNOYING UUUUUGHHH!!!!!!!
Kid, 10 years old June 30, 2012

Good. I guess...,

A film for the kids and teens! My sister LOVED it. (She is 16). I think it sort of has the same plot as "Brother Bear". A character transforms into a bear, someone tries to kill it, and in the end, they find out the bear is good. This movie also tells moms to stop trying to Change their daughter, and Mirada is a great role model for girls! Worth your money! (Altough, it could've been better.)
Kid, 12 years old June 23, 2012

amazing to wath

I think it would be amazing to watch with kids
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew March 12, 2015

Darker then usual Pixar but same charm

My rating:PG for some scary action
Kid, 12 years old July 3, 2014

Fierce is the adjective

The thing about this movie is that it's not violent it's just fierce.It's realy hard to explain...But the animation is wonderful and unlike Tangled which is all colorful and light the Brave concept art is a bit darker and it has much more strong contrasts, you have a felling like it's set in the autumn unlike Tangled which is clearly set in the summer. Wait, Tangled-summer,Brave-autumn,Frozen-winter...I'm seeing a trend here.But let's get back to the subject so there is a bit of sexually intuitive stuff like the cute and chubby maid has very large bosom and a big cleavage (this is purely for mocking the sterotype) and there is one scene at the begining where king Fergus pinches queen Elinor's butt.There is also a scene where we see all the men from the clans butts. As I siad it's not violent just fierce. No swearing and no drugs.
Kid, 7 years old January 7, 2013

Fun for Girls

I seen the movie last summer in LA. It was fun and full of actions. I did not like the attitude of the three kids as they were very nutty but fun. I recommend all girls from the age of 4 to 10 to see it let us know your feedback please
Kid, 12 years old December 24, 2012

BRAVE: A daring but still dazzling movie

BRAVE is a great movie, especially in the standards of the timeless Disney-Pixar duo, that shows some of the duo's best takes on innovation yet. The movie has positive messages and role modeling through the face of Merida, plus tons of wild-and-free adventure fueled by motivational music. However, the movie does have its fair share of scariness (*cough*Mor'du*cough*) and even sexuality seen in the nudity scene following the final battle. At times the movie does seem a bit melodramatic just to fit the mood of the scenario, and eventually even I was rolling my eyes when Merida cried for about the millionth time. But besides this, BRAVE is a great movie that shows how you can be a hero and at the same time face a lot of scenarios which could result in major carnage.
Kid, 9 years old December 7, 2012

This is a movie you might not wanna see unless your child isn't afraid of bears or startling scenes and loud sound.

I liked this movie but my 6 yo brothers got scared so they had to walk out and they have seen gremlins and king kong! Violence: not much violence it is just scary. I dont really have anything else to say about this flick.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMovied14 August 8, 2012

Brave(2012)

Not one of Pixar's best but really better than the Cars movies but still fun.
Kid, 11 years old July 8, 2012

Love This Movie

It is a good learning movie but really good!
Kid, 10 years old June 25, 2012

Creepy at points, one sex issue

I'll just tell about the violence. Since at the movie theater the sound is so loud, the part where a bear tries to attack Merida in the story is super creepy and I, being 10, grabbed my mom's arm 'cause I was so freaked out, but it's not as much the picture as it is the sound, but it's the picture and the sound that scared me. I thought it was cute, though, that Merida's bear-formed Mom was always looking out for her, and the end made me want to cry. Not from scariness, but from it being so heartwrenching. The witch isn't creepy at first, but the last encounter with the witch goes from confusing to funny to scary. I think this is pretty dark for a Disney-Pixar movie, and sex is only an issue once, where a little triplet jumps into a woman's bosom to get a key. I found that part kind of funny, but I'm 10. I'm not 6, 7 or 8.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymicky21366 June 22, 2012

best ever

this is the best movis i have ever seen pixar has hit it on the spot
Kid, 9 years old January 21, 2015

Fantastic!

It has good messages and role models. Although it does have some scary scenes. I think this movie is good for kids between the ages of 7- 9.
Kid, 12 years old October 11, 2014

Great disney film

Great film sends good messages and the main character is and isn't a good role model who does what she thinks is best for her. A tad bit of violence as her mother turns into a bear. Good for families. Enjoy!
Teen, 16 years old Written bypurplebaron October 5, 2014

Pixar's Biggest Disappointment

This movie had so much potential but it fell flat. It looked to be a beautiful adventure in Scotland lead by a heroic princess who is awesome with a bow and arrow. Instead, we got some weak, whiny (oh my gosh, so whiny!) princess who doesn't want to be a princess but instead of sitting down and having a rational talk with her parents, she goes off and meets a witch, who gives her a potion to give to her mother. As foolish as she is, she gives her mother the potion and she turns into a bear. Now mother and daughter must find out how to change the mother back before she loses her human instincts. The movie was a huge disappointment. Merida, who I wanted to like so much, is extremely whiny, doesn't think clearly, and uses a bow and arrow all of...5 times? The witch character, I have to admit, was the best part of the movie, was funny and interesting, but she's only in the film for about 10 minutes? It focuses on Merida and Elinor, which is very boring because you know Merida is going to learn her lesson and turn her mother back. The movie itself has a few darker scenes, including a violent bear fight, and the witch's cabin, so keep that in mind. You could argue that Cars and Cars 2 were the worst to come out of Pixar, but seriously, they were movies about talking cars, how good did you think they were going to be? Brave had so much potential but fell oh so flat. Don't waste your time.
Teen, 13 years old Written byABCand123 September 29, 2014

cool

cool
Teen, 13 years old Written byDisneymovielover77 August 12, 2014

Fun Pixar film with some intense scenes

This movie is for your mature kids except for preschoolers. If you think your kids can watch it then you should preview it first just in case. Merida did not respect her mom at first in the movie but she later did in the movie. Merida is like me a little except that I'm not a princess and I don't have an arranged marriage. There are a few intense such as the scene where the mom turns into a bear. The films cgi was also great to see on screen. The film is funny ( I think it's because of Merida's little brothers(. The film was fun and enjoyable to watch. This film can be intense at times but I thought that it was a fairytale. It might not be the best choice for your sensitive ones. I thought Pixar did a great job.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarky'sReviews June 18, 2014

Nothing Like A Pixar Movie

My family always enjoys a good Pixar movie wherever it's Toy Story or Ratatouille and as always, we were pretty excited to go and see this one. But when the reviews started coming out with complaints about how dark this movie is, I knew that this wasn't for my 7 year old sister, who is more on the sensitive side when it comes to PG flicks. So we didn't end up coming across this movie again until about a year later when we were desperate in finding a movie to rent. My brothers didn't bother watching since they knew it was too girly for them, but the rest of the family did. Boy am I glad we didn't end up wasting our money on seeing this in theaters. That bear they stumble upon near the end looks like it came straight out of a horror movie, no joke, even I was freaked out by it's disturbance. This was NOTHING like what you would expect in a typical Pixar movie, in fact throughout the entire film, I was convinced that this was a modern Disney film. Princess films just don't feel right for this company- save those for Disney, Pixar. I get it that this studio just wants to take more risks instead of just using toys or creatures to tell a story, but it seems like they just don't feel themselves in this film. The mother-daughter moral story doesn't fit well amongst the beautifully charming visuals and the Scottish archer setting. It just doesn't work! Parents, expect to see some clearage, mild innuendos including the bare bottoms of some kilt wearing bagpipe players, a ton of scary and perilous scenes involving witches and bears and your daughters begging for some more princess toys. I would recommend you should stick with classic Pixar films and all of the other Disney princess films if you still want to get girly. ON: 10+ IFFY: 6-9 OFF; 0-5