All member reviews for Brave

Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Written byAnonymous March 12, 2015

Darker then usual Pixar but same charm

My rating:PG for some scary action
Kid, 12 years old July 3, 2014

Fierce is the adjective

The thing about this movie is that it's not violent it's just fierce.It's realy hard to explain...But the animation is wonderful and unlike Tangled which is all colorful and light the Brave concept art is a bit darker and it has much more strong contrasts, you have a felling like it's set in the autumn unlike Tangled which is clearly set in the summer. Wait, Tangled-summer,Brave-autumn,Frozen-winter...I'm seeing a trend here.But let's get back to the subject so there is a bit of sexually intuitive stuff like the cute and chubby maid has very large bosom and a big cleavage (this is purely for mocking the sterotype) and there is one scene at the begining where king Fergus pinches queen Elinor's butt.There is also a scene where we see all the men from the clans butts. As I siad it's not violent just fierce. No swearing and no drugs.
Kid, 7 years old January 7, 2013

Fun for Girls

I seen the movie last summer in LA. It was fun and full of actions. I did not like the attitude of the three kids as they were very nutty but fun. I recommend all girls from the age of 4 to 10 to see it let us know your feedback please
Kid, 12 years old December 24, 2012

BRAVE: A daring but still dazzling movie

BRAVE is a great movie, especially in the standards of the timeless Disney-Pixar duo, that shows some of the duo's best takes on innovation yet. The movie has positive messages and role modeling through the face of Merida, plus tons of wild-and-free adventure fueled by motivational music. However, the movie does have its fair share of scariness (*cough*Mor'du*cough*) and even sexuality seen in the nudity scene following the final battle. At times the movie does seem a bit melodramatic just to fit the mood of the scenario, and eventually even I was rolling my eyes when Merida cried for about the millionth time. But besides this, BRAVE is a great movie that shows how you can be a hero and at the same time face a lot of scenarios which could result in major carnage.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybuzzybee December 19, 2012

so heartfelt

i loved this film, it was quirky, funny and very hertfelt at alot of the film. there is quite a bit of violence with the "bear" scenes but i dont think (for a 8+) its tat scary. its manly animated bear fights which doesnt scare me. i watched this with my 7 year old cousin and she really enjoyed it. so i would say you know your child, if they are easily scared then you watch it frist.
Kid, 9 years old December 7, 2012

This is a movie you might not wanna see unless your child isn't afraid of bears or startling scenes and loud sound.

I liked this movie but my 6 yo brothers got scared so they had to walk out and they have seen gremlins and king kong! Violence: not much violence it is just scary. I dont really have anything else to say about this flick.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMovied14 August 8, 2012

Brave(2012)

Not one of Pixar's best but really better than the Cars movies but still fun.
Parent Written bytwinito July 25, 2012

Nightmares!

From what I had seen this looked good for my Daughter aged 6 to see. People raved about the positive themes. My daughter was petrified. She wanted to leave half way through as her face was buried into me because the sounds of bears fighting was still terrifying. I did stay to the end to try and show her that everything worked out and the Mummy is back but it wasn't worth it. My poor daughter wont let me speak of the film, she's too afraid she'll have nightmares :( I feel cheated and so sad that I exposed her to this. It should be advertised as bears fighting and witchcraft, not of a cute girl learning how to appreciate her mother.
Kid, 11 years old July 8, 2012

Love This Movie

It is a good learning movie but really good!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byShudabeenHeidi July 6, 2012

Too Scary for Seven

My seven year old grandson who loves to read (e.g., Spiderwick Field Guide is his favorite) found the movie too scary and begged to leave. Adults who saw the film agreed.
Educator and Parent Written byanniebeagle July 4, 2012

I loved it, but my 3-year-old won't be watching it.

I enjoyed Brave very much (I'm a 36-year-old mom), but my 7-year-old son, who had just enjoyed Star Wars the day before, said it was TOO SCARY, and my husband said it was too girly. Some scenes were very intense, and although it made me chuckle, I didn't appreciate all the naked tushies in this movie (you see the bare backsides of several grown men in one scene and some little boys in another). The most disappointing thing to me was a scene where we infer that a character believes his love to have been kidnapped and most likely raped. The audience knows that's not what happened, but I didn't appreciate the suggestion. It definitely earned its PG rating, and I am glad I didn't take my 3-year-old to see it. Negatives aside, though, it was a great story and an endearing movie.
Parent Written byMindymom June 25, 2012

Strong Values in Brave

There are some scary parts and some sad parts ( I don't want to give anything away) A lot of fighting, but overall a great message. Merida is a strong role model.
Kid, 10 years old June 25, 2012

Creepy at points, one sex issue

I'll just tell about the violence. Since at the movie theater the sound is so loud, the part where a bear tries to attack Merida in the story is super creepy and I, being 10, grabbed my mom's arm 'cause I was so freaked out, but it's not as much the picture as it is the sound, but it's the picture and the sound that scared me. I thought it was cute, though, that Merida's bear-formed Mom was always looking out for her, and the end made me want to cry. Not from scariness, but from it being so heartwrenching. The witch isn't creepy at first, but the last encounter with the witch goes from confusing to funny to scary. I think this is pretty dark for a Disney-Pixar movie, and sex is only an issue once, where a little triplet jumps into a woman's bosom to get a key. I found that part kind of funny, but I'm 10. I'm not 6, 7 or 8.
Parent Written byCRAZYCREW2005 June 25, 2012

Too scary for most young children

Awesome animation. Some funny and cute parts. Definitely not what we expected from the previews. We took our 3-year-old that loves several of the Pixar movies we have on DVD. My mistake taking him to Brave on opening day! Disney-Pixar has never before given me reason to think my child would be frightened for half of the movie - one or two scenes maybe (like the beginning of Finding Nemo, or the hyenas in the Lion King). Since my oldest is just now 3, we are new to this whole kid-movie thing, and wow I learned my lesson fast. As someone else mentioned, we did not walk out because we were so sure only "that" scene would be scary, but it just never seemed to end. Much darker and more intense than expected. My son would not leave my husband's lap and was hugging/clinging to him often saying "IT'S SCARY!!" When we assured him that her mommy would be okay and that it was really a nice bear (hard to convince him with some of the scenes) he seemed to calm down. The villain in this film (bear) was just pure evil - no character to him to take some of the edge off. Since my son did not understand the humor, I think he was a little intimidated by the father's gruff demeanor as well. He had no nightmares, and even during the credits was back to himself and happily eating popcorn, however, in no way was this a fun family event like I had hoped because of the stress of a terrified child. A friend with kids ages 3 and 5 saw the movie and her girls loved it. Another friend with a 1st grader said her daughter was afraid and in her father's lap for much of it. If it weren't for my first friend, I would say it is definitely not for small kids. I suggest seeing it first to gauge how your own children might react.
Parent Written bychristiac June 23, 2012

A must see!

I took both of my daughters, ages 6 and 8 to see this movie and they both loved it! The scene with the "scary bear" was a little scary, but nothing to be too concerned about.
Parent Written byMom2youngkids June 23, 2012

Not for kids...message of movie got lost

I was looking forward to this movie for my daughter who is 6. It was a great concept to have a strong female character in a Disney princess movie. However, Disney failed because the idea of being brave and strong was overshadowed by the intensely scary series of events. I also felt bad at th poor humor used on the queen as she became a clumsy bear who couldn't hunt for herself, and also lost her dignity and all her grace as we watch her cower over eating fish. I felt that the writers spared no compassion for this character portrayal. Also, the movie had very little good humor for children, and did not provide enough laughs for the amount of intensity and scariness that we got. This movie does not live up to others such as Toy Story, Walle, or Nemo.
Parent Written byluciwhitcar June 22, 2012

"Brave" requires bravery to watch with younger children...

We saw "Brave" this morning on it's release day. The title is appropriate: your children need to be brave to see this film. It was extremely intense at moments, both of my children cried - one wanted to leave during the most intense part. It is overall a good movie and as with all Disney films - ends on a happy note. I enjoyed it even though I found it quite scary at times. We all cried at the end and not just because it was touching - it was quite sad before the final "bow" was put on the story. I included the "sex" portion of the review due to the many close ups of the ample bosom house maid that was featured more times than seemed appropriate. I've accepted that all Disney movies have the "bad guy" or "scary" part - this one just caught me off guard a bit by the intensity. It was good - my younger child bounced back quickly after it was over & said she liked it...my older child will most likely be up tonight with bad dreams.
Parent Written byHeather S. June 22, 2012

skip this one

I found this movie to be boring, overly violent and to negatively portray the mother-daughter relationship, at least for young girls. Perhaps older girls (over 8) will get it, but to my daughters (4) it was scary and the girl was disrespectful and mean to her mother. I did not think this was a positive movie for young children at all and would totally not recommend it. It is not your typical princess movie, and, thus, not surprisingly, it does not appeal to the audience that enjoys your typical princess movies (young girls). I found the violence, action and low brow humor to be aimed more at 10 year old boys than 4 year old girls.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymicky21366 June 22, 2012

best ever

this is the best movis i have ever seen pixar has hit it on the spot
Kid, 11 years old July 4, 2015

Love it!

This shows that even girls can be strong. This is about family and is a MUST for family movie nights.