Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Educator and Parent Written byPamazon June 27, 2012

Gorgeous animation and another princess to cheer for!

We took our almost 9 and almost 6yo boys to see this movie and we all had a great time! The animation was amazing, her hair, her hair!!! We chose to see it in 2d because I read the 3d was a little dark (as in not well-lit) and difficult to see during the action scenes. Loved the story and the characters, loved the message of healing a family rift and the value in saying your sorry. I would agree with previous reviewers that the scenes with the bear were pretty frightening. My youngest son likes to claim he's "un-scarable" but even he had some trouble getting to sleep after the movie that first night. You know your kid and whether they can handle a scary scene in a movie. The majority of the movie is not frightening, so if they want to cover their eyes to avoid the mean bear, they won't be missing much of the movie.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byKilgore Trout June 26, 2012

Too scary for preschoolers; Indecisive message

My soon-to-be 4-year-old clung to me and screamed during some of the many violent parts of this film. The changes effecting the protagonist's mommy was very disturbing for her. I would not have taken my child to see this film had it not been for the assurance of Disney Store employee who said that the film was fun and funny (like Tangled) and NOT scary, and was totally appropriate for young children. The message of the film is also confusing. Who is brave? The nonconformist who breaks with tradition to follow their own dreams? Or a person who sacrifices their personal desires in order to serve the greater good? Because the narrative attempts to espouse the former without repudiating the latter, it ultimately fails to to produce a meaningful answer (an ironically cowardly choice for a film about bravery).
Parent of a 4, 7, 10, and 12 year old Written byh3nryjz June 26, 2012

Pixar continues to hit it out of the park!

I think this was a great movie. Kudos to Pixar for continuing to put out quality family films. While there are some tense and possibly scary scenes for kids, I wouldn't immediately disqualify it for younger children because of this. If you are worried that some of the content is too scary for your children, then watch it before taking your children. In my opinion, though, the dragon in Sleeping Beauty is much scarier than the very brief scary scene in Brave.
Adult Written byferdie4 June 26, 2012

Very disgusted

Animation and 3D were beautiful. Before discovering this review site I mistakenly took the grandchildren hoping for a positive, brave role model for the granddaughter. She is 3 and her brother is 6. Granddaughter wanted to leave after about a half hour and grandson wanted to leave about 10 minutes later. We walked out. Movie was too violent, dark, and as usual, too loud which overwhelms many small children. Granddaughter was saying she "never, never, never,never was going to that movie again!" We need Walt Disney back for young children. Everything doesn't have to be so dark and violent.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybird1541351 June 26, 2012

Great!

This is a great movie, but I wold probably rate it four stars. I had high expectations for Disney Pixar after seeing Cars 2, Brave reached my satisfactory level. Although my little sister covered up her ears and eyes for most of the movie, it's fine for older ones.
Kid, 12 years old June 26, 2012

Scary PG movie

This is an okay movie. Its really scary for kids i thought and it could be very sad at parts. Yes during the movie you see some naked bums but it is animated! The bears are really scary at some parts. Overall i wasnt as satisfied as i wanted to be. I went into the theater with high expectations and when i came out they werent all met.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byclmocs June 26, 2012

Scary!!

As others have said, this movie has some extremely scary parts. My 5 and 8 year old girls were terrified and asking to leave for much of the second half of the movie. They are pretty sensitive kids but this movie was much more intense than the trailers and common sense media review would lead you to believe.
Parent Written byOneMomsOpinion June 26, 2012

Not what I expected

Not what I expected. Ends with a good message, but there are plenty of intense scenes that might scare little ones.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byDan H June 26, 2012

good story; great animation; but VERY scary bear scenes

Good story, awesome animation. Strong girl character (that's good) but parents please note: Merida's strength is a teen-age mix of BOTH bravery to "do what is right" to redeem the situation, but also headstrong willfulness/disobedience that gets her in to trouble in the first place. ALSO: note that the "peril" of mean bears was quite intense; the 5-year-old girl in front of us couldn't make it through the whole movie. So: parents of younger and more-sensitive kids should consider waiting for the DVD (where I believe the intensity is much less on your own TV).
Parent Written byImjustsaying June 26, 2012

Awful movie that didn't make sense.

I was really disappointed in this movie. The story was bad. Tis princess is made to pick a husband but she doesn't want to get married so she runs away and has a witch put a spell on her mom who becomes a bear. That's when I was lost and bored. I paid 50.00 for four tickets (2 adults and 2 kids). What a rip off!
Educator and Parent Written byKiely Age 10 June 26, 2012

Awesome Movie!

Loved the movie! Very loud though and intense in 3D. Hilarious when the mother saw she was a bear. Honestly , I didn’t like the witch a lot. The whole idea of a spell kind of creeps me out . The giant angry bear scenes were rough! I really did jump in my seat when it roared! I loved Merida! How many times do you see a girl that can take care of herself in these kind of movies! But, I loved the whole thing.
Parent Written byelroger June 25, 2012

must see for smaller ones

Brave is a really nice story which has a lot of values to discuss with youger kids, well done by disney/pixar!!
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byjulesfreak June 25, 2012

May be too intense for small kids

It is a nice story about family, with beautiful animation. My 8 year old loved it, but there were some scenes that were two scary for my 5 year old.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bykaloren June 25, 2012

Great movie, but some intense scenes

I took my 10 and 6-year-old girls to this movie. Over all they enjoyed it, but the youngest spent a lot of the time covering her eyes and ears. She thought the bear was a bit intense. There is a bit of drinking in one scene, but not something that is noticed easily. There is a lot of swords and talk of hunting bears. The men in the four clans talk of fighting as well. I did not find it any more prevalent than Mulan though.
Parent Written bySeacoast Mom June 25, 2012

"Caution" sign for the little ones...

Overall, the movie was entertaining, and captured the attention of our twin 8 year-old girls. Would add a word of caution, however, to parents of little ones; there are several scenes in which the angry bears fight one another that were too intense. In my view, the film would have been better for little ones without those scenes, without jeopardizing the message of enduring motherly love and protection. The princess, Merida, is ultimately contrite with her mother for her bad behavior, but the message is delivered at the end of the film, leaving lots of screen time for disobedience and mother-daughter push-and-pull.
Parent Written bythemomprincess723 June 25, 2012

Much too violent & scary

If I could go back in time and not take my 6 year old to this movie, I would. Based on the previews, it looked like a nice Disney movie. It isn't. It was extremely violent and dark. My son spent the second half of the movie on my lap, gripping my neck, hiding his face and crying. The evil bear scenes are very, very scary. The storyline was emotional and scary for him. My older son (age 10) and I had to tell my little one over and over that we promised there would be a happy ending. The only reason I didn't remove my child from the theater is because I wanted him to see the happy ending in the hopes that he would feel better. I don't recommend taking any child under the age of 10 to see this movie and then be prepared for the scare, especially if your child is sensitive.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byLauraMAustin June 25, 2012

GREAT work, Pixar, thank you!

Pixar redeems itself from the debacle that was Cars 2 with this well-written and gorgeously animated tale that doesn't insult children OR adults. Yes, there is lotsa fighting and a very scary demon bear. But there is also genuine family relationships, a strong-yet-flawed teenage girl, a proud mom who learns to listen to her daughter, and tons and tons of simply gorgeous scenery. The score was equally lush. My 6-year-old and I discussed the scary parts in advance and she was fine. Loved the movie, came home and made her own bow out of a clothes hanger and twine.
Kid, 10 years old June 25, 2012

Pretty Good! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOved it!

Now, I just saw the movie yesterday and I was looking at the reviews earlier in the week and was saying to myself"Why would people say this is bad for 8 year olds?" Well,now I know. It is just a wee bit violent in some scenes and it sometimes does suprises you, but hey, it's a disney movie, and all disney movies have a happy ending :D Over all, it's a great movie for kids 10 and up
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byAppleNell June 25, 2012

Brave New Territory

Hullo all, Before the serious stuff, I would like to go on record that I would sell one of my kidneys to have Merida's hair. Please cue digitally rendered hair for us pedestrian, carbon-based gals. Thank you. Returning to Planet Serious. On Planet Serious, Brave will scare and befuddle children younger than seven. On the way home after the movie, my ten year old son and seven year old daughter and I were talking through what we'd just seen. I mentioned that a lot of movies intended for children function on two levels: a story kids get, and a bunch of jokes and allusions adults get. (My example, heaven forgive me, was the adult-hysteria-inducing/does-not-register-with-kids passage from "Flushed Away" that concludes with the words "I got a bum like the Japanese Flag.") For me, I went on, Brave was very different. "We saw the same movie," I said, and asked them whether that made sense. Their verdict was absolutely. On all its primal, terrifying, symbolic, difficult and lovely levels Brave gets parents and children alike where they live, and reaffirms that they live in the same place. Brave is unique among animated children's movies in a number of deceptively simple ways. The heroine is possessed of a family in which both parents are alive. The heroine's mother genuinely loves her daughter, and is loved by her. The film accurately and humanely depicts the passage from childhood dependence to adolescent rebellion. Further, with equal humanity and accuracy, it grapples with some really tough and scary issues: the real world impact of translating impulsive, immoderate anger into specific, potentially irreverisible action; the worth of fighting to maintain bonds that aren't easy or perfect; the undeniable fact that the natural world will devour us wholesale and the only thing that makes sense of that is a light hand on the reigns and, before all else, the ability to say "I was wrong. Brave is a revisionist fairy tale in many ways. It's utterly honest about the plagued, intransigant messiness of our relationships with people we love. It humanely and unerringly depicts maternal tyranny, passion, and abject fear. And . . . hallelujia and spoiler alert . . . the princess does NOT find prince charming at the end. Instead, every human, entranced, and animal creature in Brave finds their way towards being more compassionately themselves. Lest this sounds a bit too New Agey, Brave contains naked bum humor as well as gratuitous laughs at caber tossing, ceilli dancing,whittlers, and Prince Charles. Never let a literature person take her kids to the movies, Apple
Adult Written byTrami Nguyen June 24, 2012

Brave The 3D Movie is an awesome!

I like this 3D movie, because Melinda is a strong female character and heroine.