All member reviews for Brave

Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Parent Written byOneMomsOpinion June 26, 2012

Not what I expected

Not what I expected. Ends with a good message, but there are plenty of intense scenes that might scare little ones.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byDan H June 26, 2012

good story; great animation; but VERY scary bear scenes

Good story, awesome animation. Strong girl character (that's good) but parents please note: Merida's strength is a teen-age mix of BOTH bravery to "do what is right" to redeem the situation, but also headstrong willfulness/disobedience that gets her in to trouble in the first place. ALSO: note that the "peril" of mean bears was quite intense; the 5-year-old girl in front of us couldn't make it through the whole movie. So: parents of younger and more-sensitive kids should consider waiting for the DVD (where I believe the intensity is much less on your own TV).
Parent Written byImjustsaying June 26, 2012

Awful movie that didn't make sense.

I was really disappointed in this movie. The story was bad. Tis princess is made to pick a husband but she doesn't want to get married so she runs away and has a witch put a spell on her mom who becomes a bear. That's when I was lost and bored. I paid 50.00 for four tickets (2 adults and 2 kids). What a rip off!
Educator and Parent Written byKiely Age 10 June 26, 2012

Awesome Movie!

Loved the movie! Very loud though and intense in 3D. Hilarious when the mother saw she was a bear. Honestly , I didn’t like the witch a lot. The whole idea of a spell kind of creeps me out . The giant angry bear scenes were rough! I really did jump in my seat when it roared! I loved Merida! How many times do you see a girl that can take care of herself in these kind of movies! But, I loved the whole thing.
Parent Written byelroger June 25, 2012

must see for smaller ones

Brave is a really nice story which has a lot of values to discuss with youger kids, well done by disney/pixar!!
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byjulesfreak June 25, 2012

May be too intense for small kids

It is a nice story about family, with beautiful animation. My 8 year old loved it, but there were some scenes that were two scary for my 5 year old.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bykaloren June 25, 2012

Great movie, but some intense scenes

I took my 10 and 6-year-old girls to this movie. Over all they enjoyed it, but the youngest spent a lot of the time covering her eyes and ears. She thought the bear was a bit intense. There is a bit of drinking in one scene, but not something that is noticed easily. There is a lot of swords and talk of hunting bears. The men in the four clans talk of fighting as well. I did not find it any more prevalent than Mulan though.
Parent Written bySeacoast Mom June 25, 2012

"Caution" sign for the little ones...

Overall, the movie was entertaining, and captured the attention of our twin 8 year-old girls. Would add a word of caution, however, to parents of little ones; there are several scenes in which the angry bears fight one another that were too intense. In my view, the film would have been better for little ones without those scenes, without jeopardizing the message of enduring motherly love and protection. The princess, Merida, is ultimately contrite with her mother for her bad behavior, but the message is delivered at the end of the film, leaving lots of screen time for disobedience and mother-daughter push-and-pull.
Parent Written bythemomprincess723 June 25, 2012

Much too violent & scary

If I could go back in time and not take my 6 year old to this movie, I would. Based on the previews, it looked like a nice Disney movie. It isn't. It was extremely violent and dark. My son spent the second half of the movie on my lap, gripping my neck, hiding his face and crying. The evil bear scenes are very, very scary. The storyline was emotional and scary for him. My older son (age 10) and I had to tell my little one over and over that we promised there would be a happy ending. The only reason I didn't remove my child from the theater is because I wanted him to see the happy ending in the hopes that he would feel better. I don't recommend taking any child under the age of 10 to see this movie and then be prepared for the scare, especially if your child is sensitive.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byLauraMAustin June 25, 2012

GREAT work, Pixar, thank you!

Pixar redeems itself from the debacle that was Cars 2 with this well-written and gorgeously animated tale that doesn't insult children OR adults. Yes, there is lotsa fighting and a very scary demon bear. But there is also genuine family relationships, a strong-yet-flawed teenage girl, a proud mom who learns to listen to her daughter, and tons and tons of simply gorgeous scenery. The score was equally lush. My 6-year-old and I discussed the scary parts in advance and she was fine. Loved the movie, came home and made her own bow out of a clothes hanger and twine.
Kid, 10 years old June 25, 2012

Pretty Good! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOved it!

Now, I just saw the movie yesterday and I was looking at the reviews earlier in the week and was saying to myself"Why would people say this is bad for 8 year olds?" Well,now I know. It is just a wee bit violent in some scenes and it sometimes does suprises you, but hey, it's a disney movie, and all disney movies have a happy ending :D Over all, it's a great movie for kids 10 and up
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byAppleNell June 25, 2012

Brave New Territory

Hullo all, Before the serious stuff, I would like to go on record that I would sell one of my kidneys to have Merida's hair. Please cue digitally rendered hair for us pedestrian, carbon-based gals. Thank you. Returning to Planet Serious. On Planet Serious, Brave will scare and befuddle children younger than seven. On the way home after the movie, my ten year old son and seven year old daughter and I were talking through what we'd just seen. I mentioned that a lot of movies intended for children function on two levels: a story kids get, and a bunch of jokes and allusions adults get. (My example, heaven forgive me, was the adult-hysteria-inducing/does-not-register-with-kids passage from "Flushed Away" that concludes with the words "I got a bum like the Japanese Flag.") For me, I went on, Brave was very different. "We saw the same movie," I said, and asked them whether that made sense. Their verdict was absolutely. On all its primal, terrifying, symbolic, difficult and lovely levels Brave gets parents and children alike where they live, and reaffirms that they live in the same place. Brave is unique among animated children's movies in a number of deceptively simple ways. The heroine is possessed of a family in which both parents are alive. The heroine's mother genuinely loves her daughter, and is loved by her. The film accurately and humanely depicts the passage from childhood dependence to adolescent rebellion. Further, with equal humanity and accuracy, it grapples with some really tough and scary issues: the real world impact of translating impulsive, immoderate anger into specific, potentially irreverisible action; the worth of fighting to maintain bonds that aren't easy or perfect; the undeniable fact that the natural world will devour us wholesale and the only thing that makes sense of that is a light hand on the reigns and, before all else, the ability to say "I was wrong. Brave is a revisionist fairy tale in many ways. It's utterly honest about the plagued, intransigant messiness of our relationships with people we love. It humanely and unerringly depicts maternal tyranny, passion, and abject fear. And . . . hallelujia and spoiler alert . . . the princess does NOT find prince charming at the end. Instead, every human, entranced, and animal creature in Brave finds their way towards being more compassionately themselves. Lest this sounds a bit too New Agey, Brave contains naked bum humor as well as gratuitous laughs at caber tossing, ceilli dancing,whittlers, and Prince Charles. Never let a literature person take her kids to the movies, Apple
Adult Written byTrami Nguyen June 24, 2012

Brave The 3D Movie is an awesome!

I like this 3D movie, because Melinda is a strong female character and heroine.
Parent Written byOh!Mama! June 24, 2012

Pretty scary overall.

Heard from several sources that this film was fine for the little ones. Took my 3 y.o. and 6 y.o. and both were frightened by the bears and the witch. Not to the point of leaving the theater...but almost for my 3 y.o. If I knew what I know now, I would have never brought the 3 y.o. I would have tried it with my 6 y.o. son because he had been begging to go. But he actually didn't like anything but the archery. He said after the movie that he thinks he will wait until he is about 10 to see it again and see if he likes it then! He says it is really for "big kids."
Parent of a 9 year old Written byellmardo June 24, 2012

Be brave and go see "Brave"!

A wonderful movie for the family - a great role model in princess Merida for young girls and women to learn to become their own person, however, I didn't like the dissonance between Merida and her mother - but it turned out well in the end... I enjoyed it even though there was a lot of emotion and some scariness in certain scenes. I was a puddle of tears by the end - a mixture of feelings washed through me, as a grown Tomboy, horse lover, and half-Norwegian mother of a 9 year old strong-willed girl, I felt a connection with both the daughter and the mother characters. This is a film that will have mothers and daughters looking at each other with a little more understanding - at least I hope so! : ) I also enjoyed the extremely beautiful rendition of Scottish scenery - it makes one want to visit! I really could go on and on about the merits of this movie, but suffice it to say, each person can make up their own minds as to what they think about it!
Adult Written bysusanphd June 24, 2012

Terrifying for young children

My son, who is 5, was terrified during this film. Not when the mom turns into a bear- but there is another much scarier bear that appears several times. My son was so scared he started screaming and crying (something he does not typically do!) and we had to take him out. Turns out there were quite a few children who also left because they were scared. My 8 year old daughter was also quite scared, but able to sit through those sequences. She described it as a "kids horror movie". The movie itself is enjoyable, but the message seems to be more appropriate for young teens and their moms.
Parent of a 4, 6, and 7 year old Written bywendalynn11 June 24, 2012

Way too scary for my 7, 6 and 5 year olds, I anticipate nightmares tonight...

Wow! I just saw Brave with my 7, 6 and 5 year olds based on the recommendations on Common Sense Media (I use this site exclusively to determine whether or not to go see a movie and have never been disappointed). I expected a few slightly scary scenes but when my 6 and 5 year old were cowering on my lap, hiding their heads and shaking, my 7 year old was holding my hand and telling me he was scared, I thought I should write a review. The last quarter to third of the movie was full of intense fight scenes between 2 huge, black bears with fangs, claws and one had these terrifying red eyes. The bears jump out and roar loudly, and this wasn't even in 3-D! The story was good, although it is based on a little girl who directly disobeys her mother again and again until she realizes all of the heartache is caused by her and she repents, but there was just so much blatant disobeying of the child to the direct commands of the mother I didn't want my children to see that aspect of the movie yet either. So, overall I didn't love the movie for my little ones, probably great for pre-teens but not 7,6 and 5 year olds!
Parent Written bynburke June 24, 2012

See if your kids don't mind violence and nudity.

I was STUNNED that there was nudity in this! Grown men walking away, bare bottomed! Not something I was prepared to discuss with my five year old! Also, it was VERY scary when the bears fight at the end! My 5 and 7-year olds were really scared and wanted to leave! Cute story, but all the conflict and fighting was not necessary to convey the story. And the naked men were WAY out of line for a kids movie.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bynyinsf June 24, 2012

Has Disney ruined Pixar?

Beautiful movie to watch. That being said it was a huge disappointment. I have a 6 year daughter who was excited about seeing this movie, and I too had hopes that this would be a good movie with a strong female character to add to our collection. Instead we got a movie that had nonstop fighting scenes, a daughter watching her mother attacked by groups of clansman chasing her with arrows and swords, an evil prince/bear and her own father. After years of having Disney kill off mothers, providing evil stepmothers, now we have a mother who is truly a "beast" and who has too be coached by her daughter "who knows best" and in the end gets what she wants by breaking all the rules... What a wasted opportunity. I still believe you can make an entertaining family movie without violence, with the focus on good storytelling. Pixar has done it before and I hope will be allowed to do it again in the future. Skip this especially with young children.
Kid, 10 years old June 24, 2012

Sweet but Violent.

I saw Brave the day It came out and I have things to saw. I loved it. The best movie ever saw. However, my little sister seemed scared during the battle scenes witch cove about 65% of the movie. Also many times bear behinds are shown and the queen is naked under a blanket. Nothing below her neck is seen though. I loved how in the end the affection shown between the mother and her daughter Over all I rate it a three.