All member reviews for Brave

Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Kid, 7 years old July 5, 2012

Great movie and NOT so scary!

My husband, daughter, 7, and son, 5, went to see this movie yesterday and we all LOVED it! I was hesitant with all of the reviews that said how inappropriate they thought it was for kids our kids ages and we kept warning them that there may be scary parts coming up. Seriously? This movie was no more scary than any Disney movie we have seen! Did my kids ever cover their eyes? For like two seconds - they were anticipating scary parts I was warning them about, but they were fine. They never sat on our laps or cried or asked to leave the theater. They didn't have nightmares. They loved every minute and they learned a valuable lesson about communication with your parents and how parents sometimes try to teach you things that you may not like out of love for you! It was not all dark and gloomy as we were made to believe. There was no more witchcraft than any other Disney movie (probably less than many - I thought The Princess and the Frog was much scarier in that area). It was a great movie and even better on the big screen, I am sure! Know your kids, but if they have seen Sleeping Beauty or Princess and the Frog and made it through the scary parts, they'll be fine in this movie! Really! It was very enjoyable for all!
Parent Written byLove my daughter July 3, 2012

What part of this kids actions were "brave"?

I would be remiss if I didn't start with the concept that really bugged the most about this movie. That is the idea that this girl was not getting her way so she poisons her mother (with a witches cursed cake). How is this "brave"? The message as I see it is, "hey kids, if you're not getting things the way you want them and what you're being asked to do isn't fun go ahead and strike out in harmful ways at your parents even if you don't fully understand the consequences or the reasons your parents are doing what they are doing." Otherwise, it's kind of dark and violent for a Disney princess movie. Lots of fighting and a scary demon bear. There was also nude CGI man butts and some copious cleavage which I thought were all unneeded, along with a butt pinch and some rolling around kissing while the woman was nude under a blanket. Overall not a bad story, and it was visually wonderful. Amazing what they can do with CGI these days. Very realistic. Overall, I think it's better than some Disney efforts but maybe not really for younger kids who aren't used to the violence.
Kid, 10 years old June 30, 2012

Good. I guess...,

A film for the kids and teens! My sister LOVED it. (She is 16). I think it sort of has the same plot as "Brother Bear". A character transforms into a bear, someone tries to kill it, and in the end, they find out the bear is good. This movie also tells moms to stop trying to Change their daughter, and Mirada is a great role model for girls! Worth your money! (Altough, it could've been better.)
Parent Written bythe Otter June 30, 2012

Great movie, but know your kids.

As an adult, I loved *Brave*. The movie was SO much better than most of the trash that Hollywood markets to adults. However, I would agree with the other reviewers that it is way too violent for some younger children. While our five-year-old son absolutely loved it, our six-year-old daughter was terrified by several of the scarier scenes. As always, Pixar’s animation is the standard by which all others are to be judged: the realism is amazing, although to be honest, I’m not sure the 3D glasses added much to it. Regarding the film’s message and educational value, the ultimate message of the movie is the process by which Merida grows from a self-centered teen to an equal member of a loving family. While my wife was bothered by her initial Weltanschauung, I found the transformation both inspirational and believable and could easily see it becoming the basis for many a family discussion. All told, a great movie, but again, you definitely need to know your kids. I rated it “violence” because it indeed has some, but would not rate it “excessive violence”; it’s just a PG movie, and I think a lot of people are complaining because MPAA ratings are worthless—hence the need for sites like this.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybird1541351 June 26, 2012

Great!

This is a great movie, but I wold probably rate it four stars. I had high expectations for Disney Pixar after seeing Cars 2, Brave reached my satisfactory level. Although my little sister covered up her ears and eyes for most of the movie, it's fine for older ones.
Parent Written byJimP June 23, 2012

Not a good choice for a 6 year old or younger

Took my almost six year old daughter to see this. She spent a large part of the movie on my lap, and hiding her eyes. There are a lot of very frightening bear attacks where bears are trying to eat someone, and my daughter didn't like the scenes with the witch either. There's nothing wrong with a few scary moments, but I felt that this move was about 75% scary moments to 25% funny / light hearted moments, and this wasn't a good ratio for my daughter. And my daughter is definitely not afraid of most movies.
Adult Written byag1 July 1, 2012

Beautiful movie, but way too scary for children

Visually, Brave is a wonderful movie. The positive message for girls is also excellent. However, it is WAY too scary for children. Why do filmmakers think that they have to pack a lot of action and scary scenes into a children's movie? I saw it with my 11 year old daughter, but she was hiding her face or turning around not to see many of the unnecessarily scary scenes.
Adult Written byterra100 June 28, 2012

Funny, beautifully animated, positive messages

There's something for everyone in this movie. We thought it was a great movie. The hair! The hair! That was some beautiful animation on that ginger. To all the haters out there who can't deal with a mother-daughter relationship on screen, go find some other mindless shooter movie. This was great fun for the whole family. And there are positive messages. It was also funny.
Parent Written byImjustsaying June 26, 2012

Awful movie that didn't make sense.

I was really disappointed in this movie. The story was bad. Tis princess is made to pick a husband but she doesn't want to get married so she runs away and has a witch put a spell on her mom who becomes a bear. That's when I was lost and bored. I paid 50.00 for four tickets (2 adults and 2 kids). What a rip off!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byellmardo June 24, 2012

Be brave and go see "Brave"!

A wonderful movie for the family - a great role model in princess Merida for young girls and women to learn to become their own person, however, I didn't like the dissonance between Merida and her mother - but it turned out well in the end... I enjoyed it even though there was a lot of emotion and some scariness in certain scenes. I was a puddle of tears by the end - a mixture of feelings washed through me, as a grown Tomboy, horse lover, and half-Norwegian mother of a 9 year old strong-willed girl, I felt a connection with both the daughter and the mother characters. This is a film that will have mothers and daughters looking at each other with a little more understanding - at least I hope so! : ) I also enjoyed the extremely beautiful rendition of Scottish scenery - it makes one want to visit! I really could go on and on about the merits of this movie, but suffice it to say, each person can make up their own minds as to what they think about it!
Parent Written by2012MOMof2 July 3, 2012

Questionable

I liked the concept at first. The princess seemed brave and strong willed. But even a strong willed child needs to bow at times to their parents. In this movie - Merida was more defiant and disrespectful than anything. When her mother told her not to shoot the third arrow and she did anyways - it came off as very disrespectul and defiant in my opinion. The housemaids bustline and the mens bottoms were not necessary, but I was able to overlook it. I guess the animators felt it was important to make small children aware that Scottish/Irish men do not traditionall wear underwear under their kitls. OK. But when the road to getting what she wanted led to a witches doorstep and a request to change her mother, that was a bit too much for me. The message that it gave was that children can change their parents into what they want, by any means they choose. In the end, Mireda did get what she wanted out of her mother. So it comes off as though the tricking your mother into doing what you want her to do by using an evil spell, was not such a bad idea after all. Kids will be kids, but I dont agree with a movie that seemingly supports a child deceiving and 'changing' their mother into what THEY want. Not cool.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytiramisu June 28, 2012

2 year old even laughed in "scary" parts!!!!

This is a really good movie, not scary at all! my 2 year old brother was laughing the whole time, but he thought how to train your dragon was REALLY scary, so it's okay.
Parent Written byshockergirl90 June 27, 2012

Scary for young children, but good message

After the (spoiler alert) mother turned into a bear, I spent most of the rest of the movie outside with my 4 and 2 year old (husband watched rest of the movie with 7yo). 7-year-old like it but was a bit scared in a couple of places, but he's not a fan of dramatic tension. My 4yo daughter, who couldn't wait to see Brave, was really scared that the mother was a bear. She immediately started crying even though the bear then wasn't doing anything scary. (Of course, it also could have been that she needed a nap.) Other than that, I liked the movie (or what I saw of it anyway). I thought the message was good and many of us can relate to the issue of what parents want for their children v. what children want, no matter how old the children are.
Parent Written byOneMomsOpinion June 26, 2012

Not what I expected

Not what I expected. Ends with a good message, but there are plenty of intense scenes that might scare little ones.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byrockhottie101@y... July 19, 2012

Not for young veiwers!

I haven't seen this movie and don't want to just after seeing the trailer and seeing Lord Dingwell lift up his kilt and say, "Feast your eyes!" really made me angry and think, "How inappropriate." I find this movie to be a bit too violent and scary for children. The scene where her mother turns into a bear is way to dark and freaky for kids and there is a several parts with nudity and many of the characters are shown drinking and hunting and killing animals. This is all too much for young viewers. This film deserves a PG-13 rating period! I really offended at the Best Animated Feature Awards it has received.
Adult Written bysirmaxmk July 1, 2012

Confused

I was really surpirsed about the intensity and violence of this movie. It has witch craft and scary scenes. I read a number of different of reviews and I am really confused how they are all saying this is a family film. My 8 yr/old daughter is still bothered by it the day after. I would definitely be careful with younger children and sensitive kids.
Adult Written byyellowmom June 30, 2012

NOT for kids!

Wow. Do NOT take any child under 10 to this. It is quite violent and VERY scarey. My 9-year-old daughter kept asking when we could leave and had nightmares that night. Disney has marketed this as a family-friendly kid movie. It is anything but! And honestly, this is the worst 3D quality I've seen. Much of the movie was blurry.
Educator and Parent Written byPamazon June 27, 2012

Gorgeous animation and another princess to cheer for!

We took our almost 9 and almost 6yo boys to see this movie and we all had a great time! The animation was amazing, her hair, her hair!!! We chose to see it in 2d because I read the 3d was a little dark (as in not well-lit) and difficult to see during the action scenes. Loved the story and the characters, loved the message of healing a family rift and the value in saying your sorry. I would agree with previous reviewers that the scenes with the bear were pretty frightening. My youngest son likes to claim he's "un-scarable" but even he had some trouble getting to sleep after the movie that first night. You know your kid and whether they can handle a scary scene in a movie. The majority of the movie is not frightening, so if they want to cover their eyes to avoid the mean bear, they won't be missing much of the movie.
Parent Written byMindymom June 25, 2012

Strong Values in Brave

There are some scary parts and some sad parts ( I don't want to give anything away) A lot of fighting, but overall a great message. Merida is a strong role model.
Parent Written bySeacoast Mom June 25, 2012

"Caution" sign for the little ones...

Overall, the movie was entertaining, and captured the attention of our twin 8 year-old girls. Would add a word of caution, however, to parents of little ones; there are several scenes in which the angry bears fight one another that were too intense. In my view, the film would have been better for little ones without those scenes, without jeopardizing the message of enduring motherly love and protection. The princess, Merida, is ultimately contrite with her mother for her bad behavior, but the message is delivered at the end of the film, leaving lots of screen time for disobedience and mother-daughter push-and-pull.