Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Parent Written byMom2youngkids June 23, 2012

Not for kids...message of movie got lost

I was looking forward to this movie for my daughter who is 6. It was a great concept to have a strong female character in a Disney princess movie. However, Disney failed because the idea of being brave and strong was overshadowed by the intensely scary series of events. I also felt bad at th poor humor used on the queen as she became a clumsy bear who couldn't hunt for herself, and also lost her dignity and all her grace as we watch her cower over eating fish. I felt that the writers spared no compassion for this character portrayal. Also, the movie had very little good humor for children, and did not provide enough laughs for the amount of intensity and scariness that we got. This movie does not live up to others such as Toy Story, Walle, or Nemo.
Parent Written byluciwhitcar June 22, 2012

"Brave" requires bravery to watch with younger children...

We saw "Brave" this morning on it's release day. The title is appropriate: your children need to be brave to see this film. It was extremely intense at moments, both of my children cried - one wanted to leave during the most intense part. It is overall a good movie and as with all Disney films - ends on a happy note. I enjoyed it even though I found it quite scary at times. We all cried at the end and not just because it was touching - it was quite sad before the final "bow" was put on the story. I included the "sex" portion of the review due to the many close ups of the ample bosom house maid that was featured more times than seemed appropriate. I've accepted that all Disney movies have the "bad guy" or "scary" part - this one just caught me off guard a bit by the intensity. It was good - my younger child bounced back quickly after it was over & said she liked it...my older child will most likely be up tonight with bad dreams.
Parent Written byHeather S. June 22, 2012

skip this one

I found this movie to be boring, overly violent and to negatively portray the mother-daughter relationship, at least for young girls. Perhaps older girls (over 8) will get it, but to my daughters (4) it was scary and the girl was disrespectful and mean to her mother. I did not think this was a positive movie for young children at all and would totally not recommend it. It is not your typical princess movie, and, thus, not surprisingly, it does not appeal to the audience that enjoys your typical princess movies (young girls). I found the violence, action and low brow humor to be aimed more at 10 year old boys than 4 year old girls.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymicky21366 June 22, 2012

best ever

this is the best movis i have ever seen pixar has hit it on the spot
Teen, 14 years old Written byJoker912 December 3, 2016

Pixar's Only Bad Movie

This movie is not good
Educator and Parent of a 1, 3, and 6 year old Written byJarinsa C. November 18, 2016

AMAZING

Except for some naked bums, this film was amazing to my 6yo. There was no love story and Merida had so much courage I was clapping. Thank you to the creators that made such an awesome movie!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeyo_Simba October 27, 2016

Meh

Not pixar's best. Pretty scary movie as well.
Educator and Parent Written byI C S. October 2, 2016

A Disney princess story with a positive message suitable for all the family

With our eldest child aged 13 and our youngest aged 8, it's sometimes a challenge to find family movies to appeal to everybody, but this one was a winner. It has solid family values to appeal to parents, it's adventurous and humorous enough for older kids but nothing scary or risque enough to disturb younger children. Some parents have commented that Brave contains a lot of violence and darkness, but in fact it is very mild and would only scare very young or extremely sensitive kids. The depiction of men brawling is slapstick, more humorous than anything else, and the mother's transformation is likewise more funny than scary. The witch wouldn't frighten most kids over the age of 4, considering she mostly behaves like a salesperson than anything more malignant. There are only a couple of scenes that get a bit intense, but these are quickly resolved and don't show any more than what is needed for the plot. It was very refreshing to see a princess who isn't after romance, and to listen to the lovely Scottish accents for a change. Also, while the movie isn't especially educational in itself, it could provide a springboard for kids who are interested to learn more about several history/culture topics.
Kid, 12 years old July 23, 2016

The Best!!!

It has a great plot!!!! The characters are awesome and I LOVE how it takes place in Scotland!!! They use traditional Scottish music in in the movie and I absolutely LOVE their accents!!!!!! You should watch this movie!!! I shows the traditions of Scotland too!!!!
Kid, 12 years old July 15, 2016

Not a bad movie, but can be violent for kids

It is a good movie, but it is too scary for younger kids.
Kid, 10 years old March 5, 2016

brave

i really like the movie brave and there are some parts that are scary and the tiniest bit inappropriate. the main character, Merida and her mother go on an adventure to turn mom back into a human instead of a...
Teen, 14 years old Written byLuke Starkiller February 21, 2016

A hugely underrated Pixar movie

This movie was much better than many people thought it was, in my opinion. It was one of the first movies I saw at the movie theater, and I enjoyed it a whole lot.
Kid, 8 years old February 4, 2016

GGRREEATT

i love this
Kid, 11 years old July 4, 2015

Love it!

This shows that even girls can be strong. This is about family and is a MUST for family movie nights.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrainwolf_thunder June 22, 2015

Independent Females

Because this movie is produced by Pixar, it's a lot better than any Disney Princess movie. The main character is strong and independent, and an awesome role model. Unlike Disney movies, there is no romance crap in the film. Plot is exciting and action filled, the musical score is beautiful, and overall great movie.
Kid, 8 years old June 21, 2015

Extremely dark,violent,scary disney movie,is creepy/disturbing.

My rating:PG-13 for intense sequences of fantasy violence, and disturbing sequences of action.
Kid, 12 years old June 10, 2015

It is soo cool!

Brave is really good and it is not very scary at all. (though there is some partial nudity you see mens butts and a cub into a ladies dress) but other than that it was really good.
Kid, 9 years old January 21, 2015

Fantastic!

It has good messages and role models. Although it does have some scary scenes. I think this movie is good for kids between the ages of 7- 9.
Kid, 12 years old October 11, 2014

Great disney film

Great film sends good messages and the main character is and isn't a good role model who does what she thinks is best for her. A tad bit of violence as her mother turns into a bear. Good for families. Enjoy!
Teen, 16 years old Written bypurplebaron October 5, 2014

Pixar's Biggest Disappointment

This movie had so much potential but it fell flat. It looked to be a beautiful adventure in Scotland lead by a heroic princess who is awesome with a bow and arrow. Instead, we got some weak, whiny (oh my gosh, so whiny!) princess who doesn't want to be a princess but instead of sitting down and having a rational talk with her parents, she goes off and meets a witch, who gives her a potion to give to her mother. As foolish as she is, she gives her mother the potion and she turns into a bear. Now mother and daughter must find out how to change the mother back before she loses her human instincts. The movie was a huge disappointment. Merida, who I wanted to like so much, is extremely whiny, doesn't think clearly, and uses a bow and arrow all of...5 times? The witch character, I have to admit, was the best part of the movie, was funny and interesting, but she's only in the film for about 10 minutes? It focuses on Merida and Elinor, which is very boring because you know Merida is going to learn her lesson and turn her mother back. The movie itself has a few darker scenes, including a violent bear fight, and the witch's cabin, so keep that in mind. You could argue that Cars and Cars 2 were the worst to come out of Pixar, but seriously, they were movies about talking cars, how good did you think they were going to be? Brave had so much potential but fell oh so flat. Don't waste your time.