All member reviews for Brave

Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Parent of a 5 year old Written bynyinsf June 24, 2012

Has Disney ruined Pixar?

Beautiful movie to watch. That being said it was a huge disappointment. I have a 6 year daughter who was excited about seeing this movie, and I too had hopes that this would be a good movie with a strong female character to add to our collection. Instead we got a movie that had nonstop fighting scenes, a daughter watching her mother attacked by groups of clansman chasing her with arrows and swords, an evil prince/bear and her own father. After years of having Disney kill off mothers, providing evil stepmothers, now we have a mother who is truly a "beast" and who has too be coached by her daughter "who knows best" and in the end gets what she wants by breaking all the rules... What a wasted opportunity. I still believe you can make an entertaining family movie without violence, with the focus on good storytelling. Pixar has done it before and I hope will be allowed to do it again in the future. Skip this especially with young children.
Parent Written bybzycareersupermom August 12, 2012

A great movie that my 3 year old really enjoyed!

I am rather appalled by the reviews I have read here about this movie. After consulting this site, I polled my friends whom all have children in the same age range of my daughter and thanks to their recomendations, I decided to take a chance and see this movie with my 3 year old daughter. I just don't get what all of these other parents are saying about this movie. The violent images are brief and comical. The TV shows of our generation (I'm in my early 30's) featured WAY MORE violent and suggestive images than found in Brave. Let's reflect on Bugs Bunny and his cross dressing, which was a Saturday morning staple when we were growing up. And Tom and Jerry actively trying to assault each other which often was featured in the usual Saturday morning line up. I could go on about Elmer Fudd and his fervent procolamations to "Kill the Wabbit" and the endless chase scenes featuring the road runner and Wyle E Coyote, but I'm sure that we can all grasp the message here. What I find most intriguing is that our generation did not have all the mass murder that we are seeing today and yet our tvs were bombarded with violent images. Now, we have restricted violence to (in my opinion) a rediculous degree and kids are finding it in video games and movies and are ill prepared to understand that it's only pretend. But, I digress...I prepared my daughter by letting her know that there would be some scary scenes in the movie and to remember that it was all just pretend and nothing would hurt her. Throughout the movie, during the more intense scenes (which I must reitterate were BRIEF, and not as abundant as the other reviews would suggest) I checked my daughter's reactions and reminded her that it was just pretend. She didn't appear to be the least bit scared, and she is 3 years old. She does not get exposure to violent movies or images, even though I referenced Bugs Bunny, I really don't watch those shows with her as I feel they really are too violent for a child her age. The brawling scenes are just boys being boys, and I've seen more violent plays on the playground than what I saw in the movie. Parents, fear not! This movie is another Disney Pixar masterpiece with brilliant writing and amazing animation. I was swept away by the story and was delighted to see a princess movie that dealt with the feelings that so many girls experience as they reach more terbulent years in growing up. EXCELLENT FILM! Highly reccomend this one! I must add though, we did not go to the 3D. Our daughter hasn't enjoyed watching movies in 3D, she's 3 and gets sick of the glasses after about 20 minutes. Perhaps that also helped in the "scariness" factor.
Parent Written byjenjen19725 July 16, 2012

Not for little kids

I took my 5 year old to this and I was so disappointed! I am at fault for not realizing this was rated PG, not just G and disappointed that none of the trailers reveal that this movie is about bears. 2 minutes into the film there is a large, growling, scary bear. Immediately my daughter asked to leave (which we couldn't do because we had other kids with us). The mom turns into a bear and the rest of the movie felt like growling, scary bears. It was dark and scary enough for my kid that she buried her head in my chest and had me cover her ears and eyes. We eventually had to step out of the theater because it was just too scary for her. As an adult, I usually like the Pixar movies and this one just wasn't up to par in my opinion (scariness aside). I'm disappointed.
Educator and Parent Written byLexiv July 4, 2012

Wonderful Mother/Daughter Bonding Film

I read the parental reviews the night before I took my girls (aged 4 & 7) and became concerned that this movie would not be what it seemed to be from the trailers. I was very pleased to see that it was the exciting tough princess film I expected. My 7 year old loved the movie and although she was scared during the intense sequences that made sense - you're supposed to be. She was not unduly frightened and teared up at the happy ending. My daughter is usually quite skittish (at age 5 The Frog Princess had her cowering in my lap), but she was very excited to see this and has been pretending to be Merida (the princess) ever since - no nightmares at all. My 4 year old sat in my lap the whole time (not out of fear, she just always does) and was quite frightened by the bear chase/fight sequences. However, she liked the witch (who is played for laughs not particulary scary at all just kind of mysterious) and she thought the bear queen was great during the more lighthearted parts. This daughter is pretty tough though and very into the whole warrior princess idea - she loves Mulan, Pocahontas and She-Ra, so I was reasonably certain she'd be all right. In fact, the only movies she ever really seemed frightened of were Aladdin (giant snake) and Up (dog fight). And, that's what really bothered me about the other reviews. Certainly, if you have a child who's already afraid of bears or witches or is particularly sensitive to action sequences don't take them to this movie. I thought that the ads did a very good job of making it clear that the movie's going to be filled with excitement, which generally means that things that are scary on some level are going to happen. The princess has to have something scary happen in order to be brave about it, right? Almost all Disney movies are scary. Almost every single one of them involves some kind of witch and/or some type of aggressive animal(s). If your kids are fine with other Disney films they'll be fine with this one too. In my opinion, Snow White (death sleep and witch) and Sleeping Beauty (death sleep and giant dragon) are much scarier than this film. Of all the Disney films I've seen, this one most reminded me of Mulan as far as fright level goes. And, Brave has a lovely mother/daughter bonding message that was a very welcome change from the usual princess/prince "I'll do whatever I want and everything will work out perfect" trope. The message here was overwhelmingly of personal responsibility and the importance of good relationships between family and community members. I highly recommend it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhunterkjones July 3, 2012

Excellent for families and teens – ★★★★★

While the storyline was painfully cliché, the character development and presentation of this new family flick makes it the best Pixar film since its acquirement by Disney.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bysarafmc July 3, 2012

Powerful new fairy tale, but not for the little ones!

I have never seen a mother-daughter movie I enjoyed more than this one. Both characters are strong believable individuals with clear (and conflicting) identities, strengths, and weaknesses. The story is rooted in Celtic tradition, beautifully researched and executed, but it is not a retelling of any obvious princess story, it is an original with strong traditional elements. My 11 year old son loved it and said it wasn't scary at all. My 8 year old daughter loved it but said parts were a little too scary. Parts of it made me jump out of my seat, and the violence is significant and serious, it feels very life and death in places, including the chance that the mother might kill the daughter if she loses control. Please be careful and don't push it because your older child wants to go. I saw people bringing preschoolers in, and then having to take them out crying, and young school-age children on parents' laps, hiding their eyes. I think that probably the best audience for this movie is 10 and up, and the women and girls may respond most strongly to it (my mother also came along and loved it).
Parent Written byMovieDad1544 July 2, 2012

Sad little girls

We've been playing up this movie to our kids for months. We have a little red-headed 4 year old another 5 year old daughter. The 5 year old has had some trouble in the past with the more evil bad guys, my 4 year old isn't afraid of much. We took them to Brave yesterday and it was an absolute nightmare. My 5 year old left about half-way through. My 4 year old wanted to stay so I stayed with her but the movie just kept getting scarier and she spent much of it in my lap with her eyes closed. There was a party behind us with about 10-12 girls, guessing they were in the 8-9 range, half of them were crying. I simply have no idea what Disney was thinking. This movie is just not for kids. I'm very disappointed that the movie was so scary and that the trailers were so misleading. In the end this was my fault, I'll remember to read here before going to any more movies.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bymark_tx July 1, 2012

too scary

I saw this with my friend. It was much too scary.
Parent Written byalabamudclay July 1, 2012

Little kid stuff

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byMercurybabe June 30, 2012

Watch Out! Scary and Disappointing

I wish I had read the other reviews here first before we went to see this movie. It was violent with a storyline that appeared to be slapped together in a hurry, so that many things did not make sense. I also did not like the fact that the daughter gets her mother to mysteriously agree with her by feeding her a magic cake obtained from a witch. The children (including her brothers) continually misbehave with no repercussions whatsoever, and there are absolutely no male characters who are even remotely respectable--they are all either bumbling, stupid, greedy, warlike, or vain, etc. I wanted to like the main character, but her character development is shallow and stunted. The violent scenes were disturbing to my 12 year old daughter who has seen Hunger Games! I felt really sorry for all the little kids in the audience. I expect more from Disney and Pixar; next time I will look at the reviews much more carefully before shelling out $17.00 to see one of their movies with my daughter.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byQuiltMama80 June 30, 2012

Our family loved it!

My family thought this movie was great. My daughters are 8 and 12 years old and did NOT think this film was scary at all. My 12 year old says it was a cute movie and my 8 year old agrees! I guess they have thicker skin than the other kids that went to see this. Then again, no one in the theatre complained about the movie either. I agree that there should have been more character development but all in all it was a fine film. And the moral of the film is be careful what you wish for.
Parent Written byHeidiSalerno June 30, 2012

Excellent!

Brave was amazing! Besides the princess being a strong, smart, brave warrior with bad ass hair, she finally had a mother! Unlike Snow White, Cinderella, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine and Pocahontas whose mothers Disney killed, or Sleeping Beauty and Rapunzel whose mothers were ripped away by Disney from birth to 16, Merida doesn't just have a mother (sure Tiana had a mother whose only role was to remind her of her father's dream) but the very story is about their bond. Finally! Only took Disney 70 years to allow a strong mother/daughter story. The symbolic moment when Merida held her bow up to her own father (Disney) and said, "I will not let you kill my mother!" I cried, I've been wanted Disney to stop killing mothers for decades now. Thank you Pixar's first woman director and writer Brenda Chapman and producer Katherine Sarafian. Loved every bit of the movie! The bears are loud and the fights with the bears can be scary.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byFiremed Sam June 30, 2012

Worst Disney Movie Yet

This is Disney's most violent "princess type" of movie, I've ever seen. I can't figure out why they named it Brave. The main character is never brave. She is more of a selfish, spoiled teenager, who teaches children how to "get even" with their mom's, if they don't like how they "parent" them. This is a terrifying movie for children under 9 years of age. 85 % of the movie is filled with knives, daggers, and axes, being used on other humans, as well as a scene where an ax is thrown at, and stuck into the forehead of, a stuffed bear. I am extremely disappointed in Disney. The merchandise is geared towards 6-year-olds and under. This movie is NOT for the same age group. So sad. Disney really messed up.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written bylaineypc June 29, 2012

Not too scary for us; Good female role models, male not so much.

I took my 9 and 7 year old sons and 5 year old daughter to see this movie. I am sorry to read that so many reviewers report their kids found it too scary and that the parents hadn't had good information about just how scary it was. Our experience was that it was not too scary, even for the 5 year old (who is going on 14 in her mind) and that the scary parts were part of the enjoyment of the movie. The greatest tension for the 5 year old was whether (spoiler alert) King Fergus would kill Elinor as a bear. But she got through that part ok, sitting 2 seats away from me. I was glad for a strong female role model for my kids to see. I thought it was somewhat demeaning to the men, though, who were either bumbling fools, or not quite grown up boys, like King Fergus, who was not comfortable with his fatherly duties and preferred to wrestle and fight, and so strong was his need to avenge the bear, it blinded him to the fact he was hunting his own wife. The scene where Elinor calms the chaos in the great hall simply by walking through in her queenly manner suggested that women are needed to bring civility and order to a society. While I secretly agree, I wish there would have been a wise male in the story to counter the caricatured juvenile behavior of the rest. Also, I wondered why Merida didn't appear to have any friends, male or female. But Merida's story of finding independence and changing her relationship with her mother was something parents and kids could relate to, and the visual richness of the film was delightful. We all enjoyed this movie.
Parent Written byMoviecrazymom June 27, 2012

Really disappointing movie!

I thought this was VERY scary for young elementary, has nudity in a cartoon, and shows a very defiant main character-not what I would call strong at all! It also is very demeaning to men-all of which are portrayed as idiots who needs their wives to call the shots and blood thirsty. Really disappointing movie!
Adult Written byferdie4 June 26, 2012

Very disgusted

Animation and 3D were beautiful. Before discovering this review site I mistakenly took the grandchildren hoping for a positive, brave role model for the granddaughter. She is 3 and her brother is 6. Granddaughter wanted to leave after about a half hour and grandson wanted to leave about 10 minutes later. We walked out. Movie was too violent, dark, and as usual, too loud which overwhelms many small children. Granddaughter was saying she "never, never, never,never was going to that movie again!" We need Walt Disney back for young children. Everything doesn't have to be so dark and violent.
Educator and Parent Written byKiely Age 10 June 26, 2012

Awesome Movie!

Loved the movie! Very loud though and intense in 3D. Hilarious when the mother saw she was a bear. Honestly , I didn’t like the witch a lot. The whole idea of a spell kind of creeps me out . The giant angry bear scenes were rough! I really did jump in my seat when it roared! I loved Merida! How many times do you see a girl that can take care of herself in these kind of movies! But, I loved the whole thing.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byjulesfreak June 25, 2012

May be too intense for small kids

It is a nice story about family, with beautiful animation. My 8 year old loved it, but there were some scenes that were two scary for my 5 year old.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bykaloren June 25, 2012

Great movie, but some intense scenes

I took my 10 and 6-year-old girls to this movie. Over all they enjoyed it, but the youngest spent a lot of the time covering her eyes and ears. She thought the bear was a bit intense. There is a bit of drinking in one scene, but not something that is noticed easily. There is a lot of swords and talk of hunting bears. The men in the four clans talk of fighting as well. I did not find it any more prevalent than Mulan though.
Parent Written byCRAZYCREW2005 June 25, 2012

Too scary for most young children

Awesome animation. Some funny and cute parts. Definitely not what we expected from the previews. We took our 3-year-old that loves several of the Pixar movies we have on DVD. My mistake taking him to Brave on opening day! Disney-Pixar has never before given me reason to think my child would be frightened for half of the movie - one or two scenes maybe (like the beginning of Finding Nemo, or the hyenas in the Lion King). Since my oldest is just now 3, we are new to this whole kid-movie thing, and wow I learned my lesson fast. As someone else mentioned, we did not walk out because we were so sure only "that" scene would be scary, but it just never seemed to end. Much darker and more intense than expected. My son would not leave my husband's lap and was hugging/clinging to him often saying "IT'S SCARY!!" When we assured him that her mommy would be okay and that it was really a nice bear (hard to convince him with some of the scenes) he seemed to calm down. The villain in this film (bear) was just pure evil - no character to him to take some of the edge off. Since my son did not understand the humor, I think he was a little intimidated by the father's gruff demeanor as well. He had no nightmares, and even during the credits was back to himself and happily eating popcorn, however, in no way was this a fun family event like I had hoped because of the stress of a terrified child. A friend with kids ages 3 and 5 saw the movie and her girls loved it. Another friend with a 1st grader said her daughter was afraid and in her father's lap for much of it. If it weren't for my first friend, I would say it is definitely not for small kids. I suggest seeing it first to gauge how your own children might react.