Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bydnpseattle November 23, 2012

Merida as a role model for coming around to owning your own mistakes...maybe.

Most of what's important about the movie has been covered already (about violence, Merida's behavior, etc.). Pretty violent and suspenseful for younger kids, but our 8 year-old kind of liked it...but it was too intense for her. My 2-cent contribution: Merida is NOT a good role model; she has good, strong characterisitcs, but they are not at bay. Her mother, the Queen, although a better role model, is not without her faults. She is tied to tradition and isn't a good listener. Merida is not in control of her strong will and emotions. She can't see past what she wants and the injustice done to her. For a good portion of the film, she seems to continue to believe that her actions were justified. Be prepared to talk about Merida's willful disobedience and defiance. There's a lot of blame shifting, but ultimately, Merida owns up to it. That's a good trait to model. Good to talk about how to agree to disagree, accept fault and ask for forgiveness when you've done someone wrong.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydiako feiz November 23, 2012

best

awsome !
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Cheap Seats November 23, 2012

Change Your Fate

Brave is the next Pixar film and Pixar is back after Cars 2, their worst film. Nice voice acting and some fun adventure scenes. There are some mildly scary scenes but nothing ages seven and up couldn't handle. B+.
Parent Written byHaywire November 22, 2012

Good for 9 and up

My rating: PG for animated violence
Educator and Parent of a 11 year old Written byGaddiel November 20, 2012

Not bad, but not great...

Beautiful production and an overall enjoyable movie, but not up to the usual Pixar standard, in my opinion. I could have done without the naked and sexy jokes (a lifted kilt, numerous bare buttock shots, and one of the kids doing a nose dive into the ample cleavage of the maid). We also weren't crazy about the references to the use of alcohol consumption as being the pinnacle of a party. On the other hand, there was no bad language (that I heard), no sex, and no cheap potty humor (other than a belch or two) so I guess that's a step up from the normal kid's movie fare these days...
Teen, 17 years old Written byTheItalianSensation November 18, 2012

Brave

There is nothing that is scary about this film, besides the fact that it was one of Pixar's weakest films. Disappointing.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysurefoot November 16, 2012

To watch Brave, you need to be brave

Although Brave is marketed as a family-friendly movie, there are some scenes that could terrify even a tween. For a child who has been through some tough times or has nightmares, this movie would not be a good choice. It has a good theme to it of being who you are, standing up for yourself, but a shaky story line and a few sexual moments that would escape younger children but may make uncomfortable sense to a nine year old.
Parent Written byWumWip November 16, 2012

Not Pixar at its Best

The early trailers for this film convinced you that this was going to be an epic and magical adventure (with some whimsical humor) that the geniuses at Pixar were going to take you on--a redemption of Cars 2 of the previous year. As time went on, I began to see newer trailers/tv spots for the film, that left me in question. Why are they marketing this as a down-right comedy now? What's with the bear cub and the boobs thing? Has Pixar lost their minds? I saw the movie in theaters. I went in alone (as a film critic), still with very high expectations for the film despite the recent questionable advertisements it had. The film starts out with Merida (the main character) as a little girl. It's her birthday, she gets a bow from her father as a gift. Little Merida goes into the forest to find her lost arrow, and finds what they call "wisps". She retrieves her lost arrow, and goes back to tell her parent what she saw, and then her party gets crashed by a 15 foot monster bear. You'd think all of these things would connect later in the movie or help along the plot... but no. Seriously, this opening sequence has nothing to do with what the film is really about. Turns out that Merida's mother arranged for her to get married, and the suitors are on their way. Merida doesn't want to get married, and tries to break tradition in her own way, and runs away to find a witch in the forest who gives her a cake that changes her mother into a bear. And because the spell didn't do what she wanted, Merida is trying to get a refund. That's it. Really there's no need for the movie to be called "Brave" since there were no achievements in bravery in this film. I personally though that "Rebel" would've been a better title since it was basically all about Merida's rebellion against her mother, family, and cultural traditions. And they for some reason throw the 15 foot bear back into the movie, as well as comic nudity (which I found to be more on Dreamworks' level) and a "hilarious" moment where the bear cub lands in a heavy-set servant woman's boobs (which I found had Disney written all over it). Basically, the animation was beautiful, but the story was a mess. They had too many ideas for the story and it felt like they wanted to please all the story writers so they shoved everything in. This is sad because at one time, Pixar prided themselves on story. Everyone knows if a film doesn't have a good story, it's not going to be good. There are so many examples of that courtesy of Dreamworks Animation (Shrek the Third, Bee Movie, Madagascar 1). I really wanted Brave to be my new favorite Pixar movie, but it came up short. Just like Cars 2, I enjoyed the Pixar animated short film more than the actual feature film. I will buy Brave on DVD in due time, (since I am a hardcore Pixar fan, and I own every movie), but like Cars 2 (which I also have on DVD) I will rarely watch it. Disney has very much taken over Pixar, and it's really starting to show ever since Cars 2. Let's hope that the Monster Inc prequel (Monsters University) doesn't disappoint.
Kid, 9 years old November 8, 2012

look down

I loved this movie when i saw it and thought it was great. It is actually a little intense when (Spoiler) The men try to kill merida's mom after she turns into a bear. there is a little nudity when the boys run to merida's mom. overall this movie is great for kids 8&up. no kids under 5 basically.
Kid, 10 years old November 5, 2012

Brave (2012) - If You Had to Change Your Fate, Would You?,

Throughout Disney-PIXAR's 17-year history, this widely popular film studio has given us some of the most classic animated films, while at times, bringing some minor disappointments. Now, we are introduced to PIXAR's next movie, "Brave", which although is not a terrible movie by any means imaginable, is sadly PIXAR'S weakest film. "Brave" tells the story of a young Princess Merida, who wants to spend the rest of her life shooting arrows, riding horses, and finding her fate, rather than following the rules of her over-protective mother, whom obsessively teaches Merida on becoming a proper princess. After a rough confrontation between mother and daughter, Merida runs deep into the woods to find her fate. I know what you're wondering! You think that this is the start of an exciting adventure film, right? Nope! Instead, she finds her fate right in the middle of the movie, which is rather a potion that she gives to her mother, whom turns into a bear, and the whole movie is Merida trying to turn her mother human again! Yep, that's it. After a strong build-up, and an interesting first act, the movie sadly switches gears from a family-friendly adventure film, to a weird and sappy "kids movie". Although I can't really blame the film for purposely changing it's genre, I do blame the trailers for falsely advertising this movie, but either way, it wouldn't make the film better, though! The way this movie changed it's direction just became a major "let-down". But, not only that, the movie just feels way too cliché for the most part, using the same "mother and daughter" storyline over and over again, which although has a great message behind it, it felt way too recycled and repetitive, after having it used many times in the past. When the movie changes to a goofy kids movie, by having the mother turn into a bear, that is a complete fail on PIXAR's part. But it wasn't all that bad! The animation provided by PIXAR still looks gorgeous as always, the final act was portrayed very nicely, and we get some fine voice talents from Kelly MacDonald as Merida, Emma Thompson as the mother, and Billy Connoly in a scene-stealing voice role as Merida's father who seeks revenge on the bear who took his leg. But the film does have the same cliché story, the message has been used a thousand times before, and this does not have the same "spark" that I found in all of PIXAR's other timeless hits from "Toy Story" to "Finding Nemo". But if this is the movie you crave to see the most, maybe get a rental. "Brave", in my review, "the weakest of Pixar's classics, but good".
Kid, 8 years old November 4, 2012

Agreeing with the parents

I'll have to agree with the parents here. It involves some shooting and some violence, and also some scenes that might scare kids under 9 years old.
Parent Written bykrog family November 2, 2012

We love it

My 4.5 and 6.5 year old really liked this movie. This is a movie we are condidering buying... I think that the lesson Merdria was to learn (to put away her pride) and apologize could have been sent home a little harder than it was.. Of course there is the comercialism... My girls said they would watch it over again and that it wasnt scary.. I think they were a bit scared though. There is some rough humor and language.. Overall we really enjoyed it. and my 4.5 yo is less sensitive than the 6.5 because she has older sister.. So that is our input.. we loved it..
Kid, 11 years old October 30, 2012

Brave

It was wonderful, there is some injuries and shooting bow and arrows. This is an adventure about a girl and her mom, who later turns into a bear. They have some big fights with humans that have weapons.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypdllcltbl October 29, 2012

Teen's Movie, not Your Little Princess's

While aesthetically fantastic, I think that Pixar really wasted an amazing setting with their plot. A feisty princess who doesn't want to get married, pushed by her mother, competition in the highland games; there was more room for a espionage trip than a witch hunt. I think this movie should have been marketed to teenager who watched The Hunger Games, rather than younger kids who watched other Disney princess. The plot, while not the most original, is more in the league of Prince of Persia or Pirates of the Caribbean. A majority of the previews basically show the first 20 minutes of the movie, while the rest of the movie is more teen action than kid humor.
Teen, 15 years old Written byComedyKing October 16, 2012

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

WHY ARE SO MANY PEOPLE GIVING THIS MOVIE BAD RAPS?????!!!!! Forgive me but you must realize, these reviews are ruining the beauty of this movie!!!! Saying things like "Oh this movie is too voilent for kids." "Kids shouldn't watch this movie." This movie is not violent!!! Violence is blood, gore and explosions!! There is no gore in this movie! There is no blood in this movie! Did you people fall asleep during most of the movie and then woke up during the so-call violent scenes or something or were you just not paying any attention to it at all and were too stubborn and worried about it's disturbance or did you just not give it a chance at all? I went to go see this movie with my father once and we sat right next to these three little girls and they didn't think it was scary at all! Infact, they actually liked it and so did their parents! Brave is a great movie and it became one of my favorite movies ever!!! Why are you people ruining that???? Who cares??? Kids aren't even gonna know what any of these elements are anyway till they reach their elementary years!!! (Well, I mean, atleast I didn't even know what these "violent" elements were when I reached my elementary years.) But other than that, JUST GIVE IT A CHANCE!!!!! Gosh!! Strict parenting can be an annoying pain sometimes!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byArtpigandtad October 5, 2012

Brave, the mediocre Pixar movie.

This movie is pretty Disappointing for a Pixar movie, but, it's a fine movie. It has a wonderful start, and a dumb end. More sexual content then I thought there would be though.
Educator and Parent Written bytenaciousmm October 4, 2012

Maybe my kids watch too much animal planet...

Look, I get it, it was a little scary at points, and I admit to checking in with my kids periodically to ensure they were doing okay with it, but honestly, my kids did not find it threatening or "too" scary at all.....now, maybe that's an indication that my kids watch too much animal planet or something with natural "violent" activities of animals, but in any case none of them (ages 2 (girl), 3 (boy), and 5 (boy)) were in my lap at any time, there was no crying, no nightmares, and they enjoy reading the book since having watched the movie a few weeks ago. I will say that they seem to "get it" (the message) more now that we've read the book a few times than they did immediately after the movie, but they are pretty young for that kind of message anyway. I liked the strong female characters, the humor, the side message that going off by yourself into a "dangerous and scary place" (i.e. the woods) can lead to scary results, and that you sometimes get more than you bargained for when you try to artificially change the natural order of things (i.e. trick Mommy into eating a secretly "poisoned" cake so you can have what you think you want). I don't know. I enjoyed it and every indication has been that the kids did, too. We'll own it when it comes out on DVD and probably watch it well into tween-dom.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMoviedudde18 September 13, 2012

B

Very well acted, animated and overall made Pixar film, Pixar is back with good movies! cause Cars 2 sucked!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKatie455555555 September 10, 2012

This is PG for a reason...

This was a great movie, but it might be scary for younger kids. Parents, if your kids scare easily, you might want to watch this first. Also, all the sex-related stuff earned it four stars instead of five. The plot would've been perfect if not for that....
Kid, 12 years old September 5, 2012

Brave: You have to be BRAVE to see this movie

This movie is the next greatest pixar movie. I liked this movie. I did think it was VERY scary for younger children. Some scenes includes a giant demon bear popping out of know where, a mother turning into a bear, and some quiet, then jump scenes. Its not terribly scary but know what your taking your child to and know how they fell about those types of thing.