All member reviews for Brave

Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Kid, 11 years old October 30, 2012

Brave

It was wonderful, there is some injuries and shooting bow and arrows. This is an adventure about a girl and her mom, who later turns into a bear. They have some big fights with humans that have weapons.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypdllcltbl October 29, 2012

Teen's Movie, not Your Little Princess's

While aesthetically fantastic, I think that Pixar really wasted an amazing setting with their plot. A feisty princess who doesn't want to get married, pushed by her mother, competition in the highland games; there was more room for a espionage trip than a witch hunt. I think this movie should have been marketed to teenager who watched The Hunger Games, rather than younger kids who watched other Disney princess. The plot, while not the most original, is more in the league of Prince of Persia or Pirates of the Caribbean. A majority of the previews basically show the first 20 minutes of the movie, while the rest of the movie is more teen action than kid humor.
Teen, 15 years old Written byComedyKing October 16, 2012

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

WHY ARE SO MANY PEOPLE GIVING THIS MOVIE BAD RAPS?????!!!!! Forgive me but you must realize, these reviews are ruining the beauty of this movie!!!! Saying things like "Oh this movie is too voilent for kids." "Kids shouldn't watch this movie." This movie is not violent!!! Violence is blood, gore and explosions!! There is no gore in this movie! There is no blood in this movie! Did you people fall asleep during most of the movie and then woke up during the so-call violent scenes or something or were you just not paying any attention to it at all and were too stubborn and worried about it's disturbance or did you just not give it a chance at all? I went to go see this movie with my father once and we sat right next to these three little girls and they didn't think it was scary at all! Infact, they actually liked it and so did their parents! Brave is a great movie and it became one of my favorite movies ever!!! Why are you people ruining that???? Who cares??? Kids aren't even gonna know what any of these elements are anyway till they reach their elementary years!!! (Well, I mean, atleast I didn't even know what these "violent" elements were when I reached my elementary years.) But other than that, JUST GIVE IT A CHANCE!!!!! Gosh!! Strict parenting can be an annoying pain sometimes!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byArtpigandtad October 5, 2012

Brave, the mediocre Pixar movie.

This movie is pretty Disappointing for a Pixar movie, but, it's a fine movie. It has a wonderful start, and a dumb end. More sexual content then I thought there would be though.
Educator and Parent Written bytenaciousmm October 4, 2012

Maybe my kids watch too much animal planet...

Look, I get it, it was a little scary at points, and I admit to checking in with my kids periodically to ensure they were doing okay with it, but honestly, my kids did not find it threatening or "too" scary at all.....now, maybe that's an indication that my kids watch too much animal planet or something with natural "violent" activities of animals, but in any case none of them (ages 2 (girl), 3 (boy), and 5 (boy)) were in my lap at any time, there was no crying, no nightmares, and they enjoy reading the book since having watched the movie a few weeks ago. I will say that they seem to "get it" (the message) more now that we've read the book a few times than they did immediately after the movie, but they are pretty young for that kind of message anyway. I liked the strong female characters, the humor, the side message that going off by yourself into a "dangerous and scary place" (i.e. the woods) can lead to scary results, and that you sometimes get more than you bargained for when you try to artificially change the natural order of things (i.e. trick Mommy into eating a secretly "poisoned" cake so you can have what you think you want). I don't know. I enjoyed it and every indication has been that the kids did, too. We'll own it when it comes out on DVD and probably watch it well into tween-dom.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMoviedudde18 September 13, 2012

B

Very well acted, animated and overall made Pixar film, Pixar is back with good movies! cause Cars 2 sucked!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKatie455555555 September 10, 2012

This is PG for a reason...

This was a great movie, but it might be scary for younger kids. Parents, if your kids scare easily, you might want to watch this first. Also, all the sex-related stuff earned it four stars instead of five. The plot would've been perfect if not for that....
Parent of a 8 and 8 year old Written byMajabibi September 2, 2012

Should be PG, very dissapointed, wish my kids hadn't seen it!!!

I was completely dissapointed by this movie. The "good message" is not worth all the violence, scary scenes and witchery shown here. I wish I had not taken my kids to see this. I can't beleive I was watching a princess movie where the princess lies to the mother, making her think she has baked her a cake, which in fact will almost poison her and activate a spell made by a horrible ugly witch!!!! This is just amazing.... I left the theater with great sadness....
Parent Written byShivom Oza August 25, 2012

Pixar's 'Heroine' Experiment Works And How! - Shivom Oza

The story revolves around the young Princess Merida (Kelly Macdonald) who wants to defy customs set by her polished mother, Queen Elinor (Emma Thompson). She is not your arch-typical princess at all. She prefers eating with the hand, practicing archery and horse-riding, and chooses to do away with attire associated with pristine princesses. Her rebellious attitude leads her to approach a witch to change her mother, Queen Elinor (she meant, change in attitude!) However, all hell breaks loose, when the Queen does change, albeit into a bear. The rest of the film is about how the ‘brave’ Merida rescues her mother from her father King Fergus (Billy Connolly) and his troupe, and goes on to discover hidden secrets about the Scottish kingdom of DunBroch. The story and the screenplay are well and truly, one of the biggest USPs of this film. Writers Mark Andrews, Steve Purcell, Brenda Chapman (the 3 have directed the film as well!) and Irene Mecchi have conceived marvellous characters. The film engages you throughout its length, sans a single lull throughout its 100-minute duration. Another positive is the score, composed by Patrick Doyle. Considering, that the premise of the film is based in Scotland, a lot of Scottish instruments such as bagpipes, harps, flutes have been used in addition to the electronic ones such as the dulcimer and cimbalom. Besides Patrick Doyle’s work, the soundtrack also features two original songs performed by Scottish Gaelic singer Julie Fowlis and written by Alex Mandel, and one original song performed by Birdy and the British band Mumford & Sons. Although the music cannot be termed as memorable, it did tailor into the film perfectly. As far as the voiceovers are concerned, the artistes donning the mic for the principal characters Kelly Macdonald, Emma Thompson and Billy Connolly do a tremendous job, enunciating with the required emotions. The animation was breath-taking, with the 3-D making the visuals even more spectacular. If you thought ‘Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted’ had amazing visual effects by the DreamWorks team, Pixar raises the bar by several notches in their latest offering. The film would be visually appealing in either formats – 2D or 3D. However, the best part about the film is that it does not bank primarily on the visual appeal, but has a well-etched plot to go with it as well. The trailers of the film are indeed, misleading to a certain extent. The film is not the story about a princess as much as it is about courage! The kids in particular, will love this film. I am going with 3.5 Stars for ‘Brave’! Shivom Oza
Kid, 9 years old August 24, 2012

My favorite movie!!

Brave was funny, and clever, and kept me guessing to the end.Before I saw it, I thought it would be bad. But it is by far the best movie ever. My little sister loved it as much as I did. Pixar scores yet another home run.
Kid, 10 years old August 19, 2012

Brave

This film is not like any other princess magic fairytale film. It is unique and shows people that you have to take a leap of fait. I loved this film!
Parent Written byluvmybooksandtoys August 15, 2012

Not really for big kids either.

I thought this one would be good to see with my teenaged girls because of the mother-daughter relationship theme. But the plot had very little complexity. For example, the boys who were competing for the hand of the princess were total doofuses - had they been attractive, her desire to remain independent would have had some depth. Also the men are largely portrayed as buffoons, not really what I want my girls to think of men. I realize this is Pixar, but compared to Disney, the scary scenes seemed to me to be par for the course. But my kids are 14 and 17.
Teen, 17 years old Written byPeopleschamp1995 August 15, 2012

It was good for kids

It wasn't bad
Parent Written byEOMama August 15, 2012

Wonderful Mother-Daughter Story!

I saw this with my 7 y.o. twin girls and we LOVED it. The girls were entertained, they handled the scary bear scene better than I thought they would, and it got a twin thumbs-up. ;-) As a mother, woman, and daughter myself, I was thrilled by the beautiful message of this film. I loved that Merida stayed true to herself through the movie. I loved that it showed the internal struggles and imperfections of both mother and daughter. And I especially loved that only after Merida truly took personal responsibility for her actions did the happy ending come. Bravo! Any opportunity to teach my girls to look within and take responsibility for themselves and their lives is a welcome learning indeed. Love this movie.
Parent Written bybzycareersupermom August 12, 2012

A great movie that my 3 year old really enjoyed!

I am rather appalled by the reviews I have read here about this movie. After consulting this site, I polled my friends whom all have children in the same age range of my daughter and thanks to their recomendations, I decided to take a chance and see this movie with my 3 year old daughter. I just don't get what all of these other parents are saying about this movie. The violent images are brief and comical. The TV shows of our generation (I'm in my early 30's) featured WAY MORE violent and suggestive images than found in Brave. Let's reflect on Bugs Bunny and his cross dressing, which was a Saturday morning staple when we were growing up. And Tom and Jerry actively trying to assault each other which often was featured in the usual Saturday morning line up. I could go on about Elmer Fudd and his fervent procolamations to "Kill the Wabbit" and the endless chase scenes featuring the road runner and Wyle E Coyote, but I'm sure that we can all grasp the message here. What I find most intriguing is that our generation did not have all the mass murder that we are seeing today and yet our tvs were bombarded with violent images. Now, we have restricted violence to (in my opinion) a rediculous degree and kids are finding it in video games and movies and are ill prepared to understand that it's only pretend. But, I digress...I prepared my daughter by letting her know that there would be some scary scenes in the movie and to remember that it was all just pretend and nothing would hurt her. Throughout the movie, during the more intense scenes (which I must reitterate were BRIEF, and not as abundant as the other reviews would suggest) I checked my daughter's reactions and reminded her that it was just pretend. She didn't appear to be the least bit scared, and she is 3 years old. She does not get exposure to violent movies or images, even though I referenced Bugs Bunny, I really don't watch those shows with her as I feel they really are too violent for a child her age. The brawling scenes are just boys being boys, and I've seen more violent plays on the playground than what I saw in the movie. Parents, fear not! This movie is another Disney Pixar masterpiece with brilliant writing and amazing animation. I was swept away by the story and was delighted to see a princess movie that dealt with the feelings that so many girls experience as they reach more terbulent years in growing up. EXCELLENT FILM! Highly reccomend this one! I must add though, we did not go to the 3D. Our daughter hasn't enjoyed watching movies in 3D, she's 3 and gets sick of the glasses after about 20 minutes. Perhaps that also helped in the "scariness" factor.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bycaribbeandream August 10, 2012

The previews left me expecting a girl power movie and it was not.

This movie was either too scary or too goofy and never seemed to live up to the expectations of the previews. I really expected a great girl power movie and was left wanting. My 7yo went from squealing with laughter to hiding his face in my lap because he was so scared by the bear scenes. It's not a horrible movie, but let's just say I'm glad I went to the matinee.
Kid, 9 years old August 9, 2012

Brave

It was pretty good. Some parts might be scary for younger ones. Some bare butts are shown from young boys and adults, but they're shown for like 5 seconds.
Kid, 11 years old August 3, 2012

new for pixar

This movie is very good, but not what you'd expect from Pixar. It has a fair amount of scary scenes and lots of mother-daughter arguments. The overall message is about respecting other people's interests and love, but the main character is pretty wild and disobedient. Not good for people under nine, definitely. It's pretty funny, too, though.
Teen, 17 years old Written byKA movie buff August 3, 2012

Not your typical Pixar originality, but still funny and entertaining with a beautiful Scottish soundtrack.

This movie didn't have the feeling as most pixar movies, or it's originality. But the film is still very funny (slight crude animated humor here and there though) and has some pretty exciting adventure. The animation is also incredible along with a beautiful Scottish soundtrack. It is possible that very little kids (5 and under) may be a little scared by a couple fierce bear scenes. But it was really good time, and to those who didn't like it, "Hey, at least they're working there way back up from Cars 2".
Teen, 14 years old Written byNo Name, for real. July 30, 2012