All member reviews for Brave

Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Teen, 15 years old Written byAnimeIsAwesome808 June 5, 2013

I saw this with my friends, we loved it.

This is a very action packed Pixar film. I love the graphics, the animation, and just everything.
Parent Written byluvmybooksandtoys August 15, 2012

Not really for big kids either.

I thought this one would be good to see with my teenaged girls because of the mother-daughter relationship theme. But the plot had very little complexity. For example, the boys who were competing for the hand of the princess were total doofuses - had they been attractive, her desire to remain independent would have had some depth. Also the men are largely portrayed as buffoons, not really what I want my girls to think of men. I realize this is Pixar, but compared to Disney, the scary scenes seemed to me to be par for the course. But my kids are 14 and 17.
Parent Written byEOMama August 15, 2012

Wonderful Mother-Daughter Story!

I saw this with my 7 y.o. twin girls and we LOVED it. The girls were entertained, they handled the scary bear scene better than I thought they would, and it got a twin thumbs-up. ;-) As a mother, woman, and daughter myself, I was thrilled by the beautiful message of this film. I loved that Merida stayed true to herself through the movie. I loved that it showed the internal struggles and imperfections of both mother and daughter. And I especially loved that only after Merida truly took personal responsibility for her actions did the happy ending come. Bravo! Any opportunity to teach my girls to look within and take responsibility for themselves and their lives is a welcome learning indeed. Love this movie.
Kid, 12 years old August 11, 2012

PARENTS NO OFFENSE YOU ARE ALL SISSIES (except for the others that think it's not scary cause it ISN'T)

PARENTS U ALL ARE SUCH SISSIES MAKING YOUR KIDS SUPER SISSIES THISMOVIE HAS NO SCARY SCENES HAS NOTHING IT'S PG SO QUIET SAYING IT SHOULD BE PG-13, MY GOSH YOU PPL ARE SO ANNOYING UGH. MY PARENTS ON THE OTHER HAND ARE WAY AWESOMER THEY KNOW THE AGES MY BROTHER IS 6 AND HE DIDN'T GET SCARED A BIT MY GOSH SO ANNOYING UUUUUGHHH!!!!!!!
Parent Written byMomma L July 14, 2012

Don't even rent it....

This was a disappointment for me and my children hated it. The story line was dated - who is really concerned about being told who to marry anymore?... and there were no positive role models in regards to men. As a woman, I don't need to see men demoralized in order to see the strength in female characters. The bears were too scary for the younger ones and even as an adult I didn't quite understand what they were saying overall in the movie so I'm sure my kids didn't have a clue. My children said it was scary and sad and they never wanted to watch it again.... The overall drawings and mood were done well, unfortunately they could have done a better job with the story line and really captured and encouraged the young population. The Celts are great stroy tellers - this movie does a dis-service to them. What a waste of time and money!... They should have made it a PG-13 movie and went all out with the story-line. Dreamworks is doing a better job these days - so sad as I grew up with Disney!
Parent of a 3 year old Written bysnoopy's mom July 11, 2012

More for moms than kids.

This really is a movie for mothers of girls. I adored it but am not sure a child under the age of 12 will be able to grasp its real message. I was troubled by the excessive violence, particularly between adult men who were the heads of the clans.
Parent Written byFor Real July 11, 2012

Disappointed

Too violent, plus to have the daughter "poison" the mom who turns into a bear who then turns on the daughter just isn't suitable for the audience it is written for. It was over the top for a Disney film.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmartkitty July 6, 2012

super cool

this movie realy scared my four year old cusin but its awsome
Kid, 9 years old January 21, 2015

Fantastic!

It has good messages and role models. Although it does have some scary scenes. I think this movie is good for kids between the ages of 7- 9.
Kid, 12 years old October 11, 2014

Great disney film

Great film sends good messages and the main character is and isn't a good role model who does what she thinks is best for her. A tad bit of violence as her mother turns into a bear. Good for families. Enjoy!
Teen, 16 years old Written bypurplebaron October 5, 2014

Pixar's Biggest Disappointment

This movie had so much potential but it fell flat. It looked to be a beautiful adventure in Scotland lead by a heroic princess who is awesome with a bow and arrow. Instead, we got some weak, whiny (oh my gosh, so whiny!) princess who doesn't want to be a princess but instead of sitting down and having a rational talk with her parents, she goes off and meets a witch, who gives her a potion to give to her mother. As foolish as she is, she gives her mother the potion and she turns into a bear. Now mother and daughter must find out how to change the mother back before she loses her human instincts. The movie was a huge disappointment. Merida, who I wanted to like so much, is extremely whiny, doesn't think clearly, and uses a bow and arrow all of...5 times? The witch character, I have to admit, was the best part of the movie, was funny and interesting, but she's only in the film for about 10 minutes? It focuses on Merida and Elinor, which is very boring because you know Merida is going to learn her lesson and turn her mother back. The movie itself has a few darker scenes, including a violent bear fight, and the witch's cabin, so keep that in mind. You could argue that Cars and Cars 2 were the worst to come out of Pixar, but seriously, they were movies about talking cars, how good did you think they were going to be? Brave had so much potential but fell oh so flat. Don't waste your time.
Teen, 13 years old Written byABCand123 September 29, 2014

cool

cool
Teen, 13 years old Written byDisneymovielover77 August 12, 2014

Fun Pixar film with some intense scenes

This movie is for your mature kids except for preschoolers. If you think your kids can watch it then you should preview it first just in case. Merida did not respect her mom at first in the movie but she later did in the movie. Merida is like me a little except that I'm not a princess and I don't have an arranged marriage. There are a few intense such as the scene where the mom turns into a bear. The films cgi was also great to see on screen. The film is funny ( I think it's because of Merida's little brothers(. The film was fun and enjoyable to watch. This film can be intense at times but I thought that it was a fairytale. It might not be the best choice for your sensitive ones. I thought Pixar did a great job.
Kid, 12 years old July 3, 2014

Fierce is the adjective

The thing about this movie is that it's not violent it's just fierce.It's realy hard to explain...But the animation is wonderful and unlike Tangled which is all colorful and light the Brave concept art is a bit darker and it has much more strong contrasts, you have a felling like it's set in the autumn unlike Tangled which is clearly set in the summer. Wait, Tangled-summer,Brave-autumn,Frozen-winter...I'm seeing a trend here.But let's get back to the subject so there is a bit of sexually intuitive stuff like the cute and chubby maid has very large bosom and a big cleavage (this is purely for mocking the sterotype) and there is one scene at the begining where king Fergus pinches queen Elinor's butt.There is also a scene where we see all the men from the clans butts. As I siad it's not violent just fierce. No swearing and no drugs.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarky'sReviews June 18, 2014

Nothing Like A Pixar Movie

My family always enjoys a good Pixar movie wherever it's Toy Story or Ratatouille and as always, we were pretty excited to go and see this one. But when the reviews started coming out with complaints about how dark this movie is, I knew that this wasn't for my 7 year old sister, who is more on the sensitive side when it comes to PG flicks. So we didn't end up coming across this movie again until about a year later when we were desperate in finding a movie to rent. My brothers didn't bother watching since they knew it was too girly for them, but the rest of the family did. Boy am I glad we didn't end up wasting our money on seeing this in theaters. That bear they stumble upon near the end looks like it came straight out of a horror movie, no joke, even I was freaked out by it's disturbance. This was NOTHING like what you would expect in a typical Pixar movie, in fact throughout the entire film, I was convinced that this was a modern Disney film. Princess films just don't feel right for this company- save those for Disney, Pixar. I get it that this studio just wants to take more risks instead of just using toys or creatures to tell a story, but it seems like they just don't feel themselves in this film. The mother-daughter moral story doesn't fit well amongst the beautifully charming visuals and the Scottish archer setting. It just doesn't work! Parents, expect to see some clearage, mild innuendos including the bare bottoms of some kilt wearing bagpipe players, a ton of scary and perilous scenes involving witches and bears and your daughters begging for some more princess toys. I would recommend you should stick with classic Pixar films and all of the other Disney princess films if you still want to get girly. ON: 10+ IFFY: 6-9 OFF; 0-5
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMemphisMaestro May 30, 2014

Major Pixar fail!

Not all animated movies about "princesses" are for your 6 year old. This movie is chock full of scary scenes, enough to give any child below 8-9 nightmares. Especially the fact that most involved the child's mother as the bear! The plot is horrible on every level, horrible. If you want a movie about a princess that makes it, choose Tangled, even if you have to watch re-watch it 100 times. Do not bother with this one, sure it's got Disney "buzz" but it's a major fail furthermore I'm convinced that someone has been hired to rate it okay for 5 yrs olds and then write "great movie for all ages" as I've read here. There is NO WAY an intelligent, loving parent would rate this as okay for their 5 yr old, no way. I've even seen "mature 5 yr old" written by another writer - are these people actually parents?!!!!!
Educator and Parent Written byJared Galczynski May 27, 2014

Merida

My love for Brave can only be implied in the form of one word: Merida.
Kid, 11 years old May 21, 2014

are you kidding me 8??!!

I will agree with the aging if it was real life! but it is animated yes there is a little bit of violence but there is nothing scary about it! Most kids can handle these scene! The movies maybe some weird screens but as long your not 5 i think you should be fine!
Teen, 14 years old Written by Swim3456 May 6, 2014

ok, not really what i was expecting though

Although this had a really cute storyline, some parts of it I thought were kind of pointless. It was a kids movie though… Anyways, it was a pretty good movie, and one to show to your kids (if you have any). The bears in it were pretty adorable :)
Kid, 10 years old April 22, 2014

A good (scottish!) tale- mature themes.

I loved the will' o 'the wisps but is a slightly scary concept. Although I do have some problems with this film. After turning into a bear, the queen gets to large for her cloths, which rip beyond repair. When the queen turns back into a human at the end (oh! Sorry for the spoiler...) she is not wearing anything, although, being covered by a cloth, that is excusable. The father just looks in stead of doing anything which makes it slightly worse. When Merida is locked in a room, she asks her little brothers to help her get the key, which the idiotic maid stuffed down her shirt. The boys saw that simplest way to get the key was take the leap of faith... into her bosom! Mature humor, for a disney movie. I loved this movie, but the bear is also quite scary, with arrows an weapons stuck into the flesh. A scary film, but delightfully so, thanks for reading, Gothilocks