Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Parent Written byShivom Oza August 25, 2012

Pixar's 'Heroine' Experiment Works And How! - Shivom Oza

The story revolves around the young Princess Merida (Kelly Macdonald) who wants to defy customs set by her polished mother, Queen Elinor (Emma Thompson). She is not your arch-typical princess at all. She prefers eating with the hand, practicing archery and horse-riding, and chooses to do away with attire associated with pristine princesses. Her rebellious attitude leads her to approach a witch to change her mother, Queen Elinor (she meant, change in attitude!) However, all hell breaks loose, when the Queen does change, albeit into a bear. The rest of the film is about how the ‘brave’ Merida rescues her mother from her father King Fergus (Billy Connolly) and his troupe, and goes on to discover hidden secrets about the Scottish kingdom of DunBroch. The story and the screenplay are well and truly, one of the biggest USPs of this film. Writers Mark Andrews, Steve Purcell, Brenda Chapman (the 3 have directed the film as well!) and Irene Mecchi have conceived marvellous characters. The film engages you throughout its length, sans a single lull throughout its 100-minute duration. Another positive is the score, composed by Patrick Doyle. Considering, that the premise of the film is based in Scotland, a lot of Scottish instruments such as bagpipes, harps, flutes have been used in addition to the electronic ones such as the dulcimer and cimbalom. Besides Patrick Doyle’s work, the soundtrack also features two original songs performed by Scottish Gaelic singer Julie Fowlis and written by Alex Mandel, and one original song performed by Birdy and the British band Mumford & Sons. Although the music cannot be termed as memorable, it did tailor into the film perfectly. As far as the voiceovers are concerned, the artistes donning the mic for the principal characters Kelly Macdonald, Emma Thompson and Billy Connolly do a tremendous job, enunciating with the required emotions. The animation was breath-taking, with the 3-D making the visuals even more spectacular. If you thought ‘Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted’ had amazing visual effects by the DreamWorks team, Pixar raises the bar by several notches in their latest offering. The film would be visually appealing in either formats – 2D or 3D. However, the best part about the film is that it does not bank primarily on the visual appeal, but has a well-etched plot to go with it as well. The trailers of the film are indeed, misleading to a certain extent. The film is not the story about a princess as much as it is about courage! The kids in particular, will love this film. I am going with 3.5 Stars for ‘Brave’! Shivom Oza
Kid, 10 years old August 19, 2012

Brave

This film is not like any other princess magic fairytale film. It is unique and shows people that you have to take a leap of fait. I loved this film!
Parent Written byluvmybooksandtoys August 15, 2012

Not really for big kids either.

I thought this one would be good to see with my teenaged girls because of the mother-daughter relationship theme. But the plot had very little complexity. For example, the boys who were competing for the hand of the princess were total doofuses - had they been attractive, her desire to remain independent would have had some depth. Also the men are largely portrayed as buffoons, not really what I want my girls to think of men. I realize this is Pixar, but compared to Disney, the scary scenes seemed to me to be par for the course. But my kids are 14 and 17.
Teen, 17 years old Written byPeopleschamp1995 August 15, 2012

It was good for kids

It wasn't bad
Parent Written byEOMama August 15, 2012

Wonderful Mother-Daughter Story!

I saw this with my 7 y.o. twin girls and we LOVED it. The girls were entertained, they handled the scary bear scene better than I thought they would, and it got a twin thumbs-up. ;-) As a mother, woman, and daughter myself, I was thrilled by the beautiful message of this film. I loved that Merida stayed true to herself through the movie. I loved that it showed the internal struggles and imperfections of both mother and daughter. And I especially loved that only after Merida truly took personal responsibility for her actions did the happy ending come. Bravo! Any opportunity to teach my girls to look within and take responsibility for themselves and their lives is a welcome learning indeed. Love this movie.
Parent Written bybzycareersupermom August 12, 2012

A great movie that my 3 year old really enjoyed!

I am rather appalled by the reviews I have read here about this movie. After consulting this site, I polled my friends whom all have children in the same age range of my daughter and thanks to their recomendations, I decided to take a chance and see this movie with my 3 year old daughter. I just don't get what all of these other parents are saying about this movie. The violent images are brief and comical. The TV shows of our generation (I'm in my early 30's) featured WAY MORE violent and suggestive images than found in Brave. Let's reflect on Bugs Bunny and his cross dressing, which was a Saturday morning staple when we were growing up. And Tom and Jerry actively trying to assault each other which often was featured in the usual Saturday morning line up. I could go on about Elmer Fudd and his fervent procolamations to "Kill the Wabbit" and the endless chase scenes featuring the road runner and Wyle E Coyote, but I'm sure that we can all grasp the message here. What I find most intriguing is that our generation did not have all the mass murder that we are seeing today and yet our tvs were bombarded with violent images. Now, we have restricted violence to (in my opinion) a rediculous degree and kids are finding it in video games and movies and are ill prepared to understand that it's only pretend. But, I digress...I prepared my daughter by letting her know that there would be some scary scenes in the movie and to remember that it was all just pretend and nothing would hurt her. Throughout the movie, during the more intense scenes (which I must reitterate were BRIEF, and not as abundant as the other reviews would suggest) I checked my daughter's reactions and reminded her that it was just pretend. She didn't appear to be the least bit scared, and she is 3 years old. She does not get exposure to violent movies or images, even though I referenced Bugs Bunny, I really don't watch those shows with her as I feel they really are too violent for a child her age. The brawling scenes are just boys being boys, and I've seen more violent plays on the playground than what I saw in the movie. Parents, fear not! This movie is another Disney Pixar masterpiece with brilliant writing and amazing animation. I was swept away by the story and was delighted to see a princess movie that dealt with the feelings that so many girls experience as they reach more terbulent years in growing up. EXCELLENT FILM! Highly reccomend this one! I must add though, we did not go to the 3D. Our daughter hasn't enjoyed watching movies in 3D, she's 3 and gets sick of the glasses after about 20 minutes. Perhaps that also helped in the "scariness" factor.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bycaribbeandream August 10, 2012

The previews left me expecting a girl power movie and it was not.

This movie was either too scary or too goofy and never seemed to live up to the expectations of the previews. I really expected a great girl power movie and was left wanting. My 7yo went from squealing with laughter to hiding his face in my lap because he was so scared by the bear scenes. It's not a horrible movie, but let's just say I'm glad I went to the matinee.
Kid, 9 years old August 9, 2012

Brave

It was pretty good. Some parts might be scary for younger ones. Some bare butts are shown from young boys and adults, but they're shown for like 5 seconds.
Kid, 11 years old August 3, 2012

new for pixar

This movie is very good, but not what you'd expect from Pixar. It has a fair amount of scary scenes and lots of mother-daughter arguments. The overall message is about respecting other people's interests and love, but the main character is pretty wild and disobedient. Not good for people under nine, definitely. It's pretty funny, too, though.
Teen, 17 years old Written byKA movie buff August 3, 2012

Not your typical Pixar originality, but still funny and entertaining with a beautiful Scottish soundtrack.

This movie didn't have the feeling as most pixar movies, or it's originality. But the film is still very funny (slight crude animated humor here and there though) and has some pretty exciting adventure. The animation is also incredible along with a beautiful Scottish soundtrack. It is possible that very little kids (5 and under) may be a little scared by a couple fierce bear scenes. But it was really good time, and to those who didn't like it, "Hey, at least they're working there way back up from Cars 2".
Parent of a 6 year old Written byrockhottie101@y... July 19, 2012

Not for young veiwers!

I haven't seen this movie and don't want to just after seeing the trailer and seeing Lord Dingwell lift up his kilt and say, "Feast your eyes!" really made me angry and think, "How inappropriate." I find this movie to be a bit too violent and scary for children. The scene where her mother turns into a bear is way to dark and freaky for kids and there is a several parts with nudity and many of the characters are shown drinking and hunting and killing animals. This is all too much for young viewers. This film deserves a PG-13 rating period! I really offended at the Best Animated Feature Awards it has received.
Parent Written byidmom5 July 18, 2012

Too much that didn't need to be there ...

My husband and I went to see Brave without our kids so we'd know if it was a good movie for our kids to see or not. We researched it beforehand - watched lots of trailers and clips, read reviews - and nothing seemed to point toward how violent and scary it is. However, the scary aspect of the movie wasn't necessarily what bothered us most. I did not like the emphasis placed on the cleavage of one of the female characters. There are several instances where this character's bosom is a focal point of the story and the animation itself. It is gross and not appropriate for children. Also, the naked backsides of the king and others crosses the line. Earlier in the movie the whole idea of "nothing under the kilt" is poked fun at, but to later see the complete nudity of male characters from the back is too much. Just because it's animated doesn't make it appropriate. The same is true for the implication that the queen is naked under a blanket with an army of soldiers surrounding her. Attention is drawn to things that aren't needed in a children's movie. My final complaint with the movie, however, is a subtle message that is anti-marriage and anti-authority (specifically the authority of parents). Merida gives no reasons why she does not want to be married except that she will "lose her freedom." In the end she becomes the first Disney princess without a prince. Instead, she promotes the idea that it is good to break with tradition - good to create "her own story" - which is not, in my opinion, a coincidence of the storyline but more of social agenda. The reconciliation she has with her mother is likewise disappointing, because instead of remaining in the role of parent, her mother suddenly becomes a BFF. (This is even implied by the fact that her mother now wears her hair down instead of in restricting braids). All in all, my husband and I really wanted to like this movie and feel like it would be a good match for our family to enjoy, but we were let down. The animation is stunning, many of the characters clever and engaging, but there are just too many things about the movie that make it questionable for a young and impressionable audience.
Adult Written byweasly July 18, 2012

Great! Great!

I just saw it, and it was amazing! I am 13, by the way. If i was a parent, i would NEVER bring my 4,5,6 year old kid to a movie theater. Period. I didn't get to see movies in the theater until i was about 8! Yeah it was scary, a bit even for me. 7 is a bit young. the kid has to be old enough to know it will turn out alright.
Parent Written byjenjen19725 July 16, 2012

Not for little kids

I took my 5 year old to this and I was so disappointed! I am at fault for not realizing this was rated PG, not just G and disappointed that none of the trailers reveal that this movie is about bears. 2 minutes into the film there is a large, growling, scary bear. Immediately my daughter asked to leave (which we couldn't do because we had other kids with us). The mom turns into a bear and the rest of the movie felt like growling, scary bears. It was dark and scary enough for my kid that she buried her head in my chest and had me cover her ears and eyes. We eventually had to step out of the theater because it was just too scary for her. As an adult, I usually like the Pixar movies and this one just wasn't up to par in my opinion (scariness aside). I'm disappointed.
Parent Written byMomma L July 14, 2012

Don't even rent it....

This was a disappointment for me and my children hated it. The story line was dated - who is really concerned about being told who to marry anymore?... and there were no positive role models in regards to men. As a woman, I don't need to see men demoralized in order to see the strength in female characters. The bears were too scary for the younger ones and even as an adult I didn't quite understand what they were saying overall in the movie so I'm sure my kids didn't have a clue. My children said it was scary and sad and they never wanted to watch it again.... The overall drawings and mood were done well, unfortunately they could have done a better job with the story line and really captured and encouraged the young population. The Celts are great stroy tellers - this movie does a dis-service to them. What a waste of time and money!... They should have made it a PG-13 movie and went all out with the story-line. Dreamworks is doing a better job these days - so sad as I grew up with Disney!
Kid, 7 years old July 13, 2012

Lots of tears

The mum turns into a bear and the dad tries to kill her and it made my sister and me very sad.
Kid, 10 years old July 13, 2012

BRAVE

this movie is great!!! i don't luv kids animation movies but this was soooo good!!! it may be a little bit scary for kids under the age of 6 but my sister (8) and i loved it!! great mothers day movie
Parent Written bypeepa July 13, 2012

Not so fast

Much fighting. Loud, scary scenes. Strong accents make some dialog hard to understand. Killing, eating the first fish. Burps and belches. Unnecessary reference to nakedness of the Queen.
Parent Written byKatetherate July 13, 2012

Scarier than you may think

I'd read reviews suggesting this film would be suitable for fairly young kids, so my husband and I took our girls as a birthday treat. They are 4.5 and 7. They were very scared by many scenes and spent a lot of the film sitting on our laps wanting reassurance and explanations whispered to them. Wish I'd held off till they were older. Also, I must say the merchandising led me to believe this film was suitable for young kids...
Kid, 12 years old July 12, 2012

Funny with a great message

This movie was great with amazing graphics! It even made me cry some. Now for those parents who said it was terrible MAYBE, you should open your eyes and actually watch the commercial. I bet all you heard was Disney action move, and rated PG. If you hadn't noticed in the commercial there was a huge mean looking bear that that Merida was SHOOTING! I don't care what you say this movie was great.