All member reviews for Brave

Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Parent Written bypbash66 July 11, 2012

Scary bear, good story

Teen, 13 years old Written bylivi727 July 9, 2012

Defiantly not for little kids!

Brave turned out to be a little scary. (Thanks Disney,now I'm terrified of bears) The first 30 minutes was cute but then it got all dark. I'd say this movie is for kids 10 and up. The ending was nice though.
Kid, 9 years old July 9, 2012

What? 7+? OMG

get yo own copy of this movie it is thumbs up
Kid, 12 years old July 9, 2012

Fantastic!

This was an absolutely fantastic movie with marvelous animation. This movie is hard to describe in words, but I can describe it in one - WOW.
Adult Written byJukilum July 9, 2012

Pixar's Crudest Movie

Brave isn't quite as good as other Pixar films, but it is still leagues ahead of almost every other movie put out in recent years. The amount of crude humor is unusually high for a Pixar movie, though. At one point during a midnight showing the friend that I went with leaned over and said, "What's this movie rated again?" It isn't as bad as a lot of Dreamworks films, but it is a surprising and unwelcome change for Pixar. The other issue with this movie is that like in almost every other movie and TV show, the fathers in it are portrayed as silly and useless, and it is hard to imagine how he was chosen as King as alluded to during the movie.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bypopcorn2 July 9, 2012

Delightful and inspiring/Bear fighting intense.

Wow! I just read some of the reviews and can't believe the number of negatives. I had to edit my post. The lesson here is to know your kids. Mine are sensitive to "bad guys", explosions and guns, storms, fire, and constant peril. ("Finding Nemo" on DVD was an excruciating experience not likely to be repeated.) "Brave" has none of these things and a very positive message to boot. Yes! The bear on bear scene is scary! I agree it is a bit much. But I disagree that the scary bear scenes are throughout. I actually thought the comic relief was well timed and prevented the movie from taking itself too seriously. I really haven't seen a movie yet (besides "Cars") that I honestly thought was appropriate for kids under 7. But we try from time to time without causing any real harm. ;-)
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byenajleborts July 8, 2012

Movie explores an explosive mother/daughter relationship

I agree with the reviews that label this movie as too scary for the young ones. But we've had an interesting development with my tween (11 year old) after watching this. It's as if she's decided to try out some of the rebellious attitudes of the main character...or perhaps it's given her the freedom or validation to act out feelings she already has? The mother/daughter relationship pictured here is fraught with angst and violent attitudes. If this dynamic is already alive in your relationship, perhaps it would be valuable to watch it pictured and use this as a springboard for discussion. But I wonder how healthy the messages here are. The daughter's rebelliousness results in an almost disastrous outcome, perhaps scaring tweens that their strong feelings are very dangerous to their mothers. On the good side, it all turns out okay in the end, and the daughter and mother both take responsibility for their mistakes. Both mother and daughter grow as a result of the things that happen. But the path is so treacherous to get there...think carefully about these messages for your daughters.
Kid, 11 years old July 8, 2012

Great family movie! A little intense.

This is a great movie that shows a great bond between Marida (the princess) and her mom. I am 10 years old and I found a few scenes quite intense. A little girl in the theater says she had to close her eyes. There is also a couple of scenes with much violence (no gore). The mother and father do have a little bit intense romance moment for a kids movie at the end. Great movie overall! Would love to see it again!
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bydonnaz July 8, 2012

scary

The beginning was good but at the middle the mom turned into a bear under blankets. When they see these creatures in the woods called wisps they follow the path of wisps. It is scary because she falls into a broken down castle. There was another bear in the castle that was mean. Too many scary parts, many kids were unhappy and leaving the theater.
Parent of a 3, 4, and 6 year old Written bycmo July 8, 2012

Too scary for young kids

We wish we had more closely checked into this movie before taking our three kids, age 3, 4 and 5 (almost 6). The images are amazing. Though there are some funny, positive, tender and brave moments in the film, it is just scary to young kids. My oldest says he liked the movie except the scary bear part. When I asked him if he would like to see it again, he hesitated and said he wanted to fast forward through the 'really' scary parts . . . My youngest covered her eyes a few times and buried her head in the seat at one point. My middle child actually asked to leave, so I left with him over half way through the movie. I regret taking our kids to this movie at their current ages and wish that my husband and I had left with our kids all together.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bySnoozhe July 7, 2012

Good message and movie--a little scary

I liked this movie and the group of girls (and one boy) did too--girls age 9 and 10. Most gave it a "10"! A couple of the girls said it was a little scary and they cried--but mostly because (spoiler alert) they thought the Mom was going to die. My 5.5 year old boy wasn't scared at all, so I think this is likely to scare sensitive boys and younger girls. In fact, my boy laughed a lot more than the girls (it's that boy humor that is all over the story). This isn't the best Pixar movie--but the animation is beautiful, and the message is really good. I love how it resolves with regret, an apology and forgiveness. This is "real life" for pre-teens and teens. If you are not ready for your 5 year old to see someone talking back, than this is not the movie for you. And mothers and daughters fight all. the. time. Though she is disrespectful, she pays for it in consequences. That's a good lesson for all of us! As for the cleavage/key thing--it was a little weird and inappropriate. But I would say it was not done in a sexual manner. It was approached like a mischievious boy would approach it. And the animation bums? I guess they could have left them out, but I find your American beach to be much more suggestive and with a much higher sexual element than those cartoon bottoms. And most of us take our kids to the beach, right? Don't get me wrong. I'm very conservative about things like this, but these are minor things especially considering most young kids aren't phased by a naked bottom. I thought it was a good movie; better than Cars 2 for sure--not as good as Monsters or Toy Story 1. But compared to all of the other junk out there? This is much better. But if your child is scared easily, you should wait until they are about 9 or 10.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmartkitty July 6, 2012

super cool

this movie realy scared my four year old cusin but its awsome
Teen, 14 years old Written bymootchnika July 6, 2012

Great Messages!

i think it was a cute movie! even as a teen i liked it! I recommend this movie because it sent a good message to mothers and daughters. One maid showed to much cleavage for kids. She stuck a keydown her shirt and the kids jumped down her shirt as a plan to get the key. except for that, it was an adorable! i think it was a great familymovie for kids and teens of all ages!
Adult Written byThe L July 6, 2012

Good for kids who can handle mildly scary scenes

I was expecting a more independent princess, and I wasn't disappointed! Merida is so angry about the competition for her hand that she refuses to hear her mother out. The whole magical plot is about Merida and Elinor learning to listen to each other, and reestablishing a proper mother-daughter relationship--which is a good lesson for kids of all ages (and maybe some moms, too)! The nudity mentioned in the main review is entirely non-sexual and only occupies maybe 10 seconds of the film--and is a welcome change from the average movie for teens and adults, where cleavage is on display and sexually-charged clothing and behavior are the norm. I would not have had trouble with the spookier scenes in this movie if I'd watched it as a child. However, all kids are different--if your child can't handle Bambi, they may not be ready for this movie. Consider this subject to the "Bambi test"--while it has some of the spookier moments in a Disney movie, they're not any worse than the ones from Bambi or Snow White.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybeccylucy July 5, 2012

A BUTT IS A BUTT, THEY ARE ALL THE SAME

My friends and I went to see Brave as a group a couple days after it came out. We were all excited about the female lead being a little tougher than other Disney princesses and not as perfect. I will admit that it was not my favorite Pixar movie, but I did enjoy it. There was a lot more violence in this movie than other Pixar movies, but it was NO WHERE near a PG-13 rating. The scenes with the bear would be scary to younger children , so I wouldn't suggest it for anyone under 6 or 7 unless they are mature. At the begging of the movie Merida seemed to be just like she was portrayed in the commercials, a strong female lead who could stick up for herself and make her own decisions. But when the movie started she was slightly immature and is very rude to her mother. (Not to say that I wouldn't be if I was going to be forced into marriage.) Her attitude does get much worse before it begins to get better and by the end of the movie she has grown up , and over all changed her attitude for the better. The "sexual content" in the movie is so discreet that the children in our theater didn't get any of it. At the very beginning the King does pinch the queens butt, and there are naked butts in the movie but PLEASE GROW UP A LITTLE. A butt is a butt, they all look the same.
Teen, 16 years old Written byOGORMAN July 5, 2012

I'm somewhat disappointed in Disney...

I give credit to Disney for teaching kids about another country's culture, but aside from that and a few other things... this Disney movie is one that I probably wouldn't watch more than once. I'll start with the things I liked from the movie: When Merida first runs into the will o' the wisps they are cute little blue things, although the noises they make are somewhat creepy and ominous and may freak out younger children. The witch in herself (played by Julie Walters "Mrs. Weasley" in Harry Potter) is not scary AT ALL. When Merida meets her, the cover story she has for her business is funny (it was the only time during the movie where I actually laughed). Merida's mother put a slight smile on my face the way she tried to remain proper even when she was a bear. Though he is meant to be frightening (and definitely will frighten young children) I found the "evil" bear to be a high point of the movie for me. I say "evil" because they found a creative way of tying him into the movie with the story. Now for the bad... The will o' the wisps and Mordu, the "evil" bear, will definitely strike fear in children under 7 or 8. Though it is meant to be comical, it is still mildly inappropriate in a scene where many naked male Scottish rears are shown. They are cartoon bums so they aren't nasty, but still... Merida's three little brothers were nowhere near as cute as I thought they were going to be. They were actually quite conniving and could only be bribed in order to help their sister. Merida's suitors were absolutely ridiculous and totally stereotypical: *SPOILER ALERT* the narcissistic pretty-boy, the skinny and awkward geek, and the poor guy you can't understand at all when he speaks. *END OF SPOILER* Being a Disney movie, I really expected more, but my standards are most likely too high because I grew up with all of the fantastic Disney classics like Toy Story, Lion King, Tarzan, and all the rest. A little fun fact to close this: It took 6 Pixar research engineers more than 3 years to develop the computer program (Taz, named after the Tasmanian Devil) that animated every single one of Merida's 1,500 red curls. Wow!
Kid, 7 years old July 5, 2012

Great movie and NOT so scary!

My husband, daughter, 7, and son, 5, went to see this movie yesterday and we all LOVED it! I was hesitant with all of the reviews that said how inappropriate they thought it was for kids our kids ages and we kept warning them that there may be scary parts coming up. Seriously? This movie was no more scary than any Disney movie we have seen! Did my kids ever cover their eyes? For like two seconds - they were anticipating scary parts I was warning them about, but they were fine. They never sat on our laps or cried or asked to leave the theater. They didn't have nightmares. They loved every minute and they learned a valuable lesson about communication with your parents and how parents sometimes try to teach you things that you may not like out of love for you! It was not all dark and gloomy as we were made to believe. There was no more witchcraft than any other Disney movie (probably less than many - I thought The Princess and the Frog was much scarier in that area). It was a great movie and even better on the big screen, I am sure! Know your kids, but if they have seen Sleeping Beauty or Princess and the Frog and made it through the scary parts, they'll be fine in this movie! Really! It was very enjoyable for all!
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byDocMommy July 5, 2012

Brave is too terrifying & scary for kids!!!

We took our 9 year old daughter and our 6 year old son to see Brave in 3D. Both of our children were scared and terrified of the "bad" bear with the arrows and one eye! This was the first film that ever scared my children. I have never seen my son leap out of his seat in fear until now. My daughter covered her ears and closed her eyes. They were also shaken with the extremely loud noise in the movie. This film is not appropriate for young kids. My kids did NOT like this movie. Whatever positive message Disney was hoping to convey was lost after "the bear." I would recommend the Avengers before this film. As an aside, La Luna the Pixar short before Brave was AMAZING! I was so sure it was a sign of good things to come, sadly it was not. Too bad. :(
Parent Written bysb11 July 4, 2012

Not for kids younger than 7

Parent of a 7 year old Written byldreyer July 4, 2012

Great family movie - not just for girls

My 7 yr old son says it was "Awesome!" - 100 thumbs up!