All member reviews for Brave

Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byenajleborts July 8, 2012

Movie explores an explosive mother/daughter relationship

I agree with the reviews that label this movie as too scary for the young ones. But we've had an interesting development with my tween (11 year old) after watching this. It's as if she's decided to try out some of the rebellious attitudes of the main character...or perhaps it's given her the freedom or validation to act out feelings she already has? The mother/daughter relationship pictured here is fraught with angst and violent attitudes. If this dynamic is already alive in your relationship, perhaps it would be valuable to watch it pictured and use this as a springboard for discussion. But I wonder how healthy the messages here are. The daughter's rebelliousness results in an almost disastrous outcome, perhaps scaring tweens that their strong feelings are very dangerous to their mothers. On the good side, it all turns out okay in the end, and the daughter and mother both take responsibility for their mistakes. Both mother and daughter grow as a result of the things that happen. But the path is so treacherous to get there...think carefully about these messages for your daughters.
Parent Written bybaltimore joe silk July 8, 2012

Be Brave: Wait for the DVD

Here's a movie that seems to say a woman can't be fulfilled unless she's sewing. There's a soft, but definite sexist side to this film. Woman are still the second class. I suppose the argument could be made that the movie takes place a long time ago, but on the other hand they can tell whatever story they want. They chose a softer side of sexism. And beware, like so many kid movies, it starts with violence, just because it can. The animation is murky and the design is lacking. The plot feels very incomplete (maybe as if they're saving parts for tv cartoons...?). The toy line looked so great I'm left with the feeling they started with that and stuck a movie on.
Kid, 11 years old July 8, 2012

Great family movie! A little intense.

This is a great movie that shows a great bond between Marida (the princess) and her mom. I am 10 years old and I found a few scenes quite intense. A little girl in the theater says she had to close her eyes. There is also a couple of scenes with much violence (no gore). The mother and father do have a little bit intense romance moment for a kids movie at the end. Great movie overall! Would love to see it again!
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bydonnaz July 8, 2012

scary

The beginning was good but at the middle the mom turned into a bear under blankets. When they see these creatures in the woods called wisps they follow the path of wisps. It is scary because she falls into a broken down castle. There was another bear in the castle that was mean. Too many scary parts, many kids were unhappy and leaving the theater.
Parent of a 3, 4, and 6 year old Written bycmo July 8, 2012

Too scary for young kids

We wish we had more closely checked into this movie before taking our three kids, age 3, 4 and 5 (almost 6). The images are amazing. Though there are some funny, positive, tender and brave moments in the film, it is just scary to young kids. My oldest says he liked the movie except the scary bear part. When I asked him if he would like to see it again, he hesitated and said he wanted to fast forward through the 'really' scary parts . . . My youngest covered her eyes a few times and buried her head in the seat at one point. My middle child actually asked to leave, so I left with him over half way through the movie. I regret taking our kids to this movie at their current ages and wish that my husband and I had left with our kids all together.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bySnoozhe July 7, 2012

Good message and movie--a little scary

I liked this movie and the group of girls (and one boy) did too--girls age 9 and 10. Most gave it a "10"! A couple of the girls said it was a little scary and they cried--but mostly because (spoiler alert) they thought the Mom was going to die. My 5.5 year old boy wasn't scared at all, so I think this is likely to scare sensitive boys and younger girls. In fact, my boy laughed a lot more than the girls (it's that boy humor that is all over the story). This isn't the best Pixar movie--but the animation is beautiful, and the message is really good. I love how it resolves with regret, an apology and forgiveness. This is "real life" for pre-teens and teens. If you are not ready for your 5 year old to see someone talking back, than this is not the movie for you. And mothers and daughters fight all. the. time. Though she is disrespectful, she pays for it in consequences. That's a good lesson for all of us! As for the cleavage/key thing--it was a little weird and inappropriate. But I would say it was not done in a sexual manner. It was approached like a mischievious boy would approach it. And the animation bums? I guess they could have left them out, but I find your American beach to be much more suggestive and with a much higher sexual element than those cartoon bottoms. And most of us take our kids to the beach, right? Don't get me wrong. I'm very conservative about things like this, but these are minor things especially considering most young kids aren't phased by a naked bottom. I thought it was a good movie; better than Cars 2 for sure--not as good as Monsters or Toy Story 1. But compared to all of the other junk out there? This is much better. But if your child is scared easily, you should wait until they are about 9 or 10.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmartkitty July 6, 2012

super cool

this movie realy scared my four year old cusin but its awsome
Teen, 14 years old Written bymootchnika July 6, 2012

Great Messages!

i think it was a cute movie! even as a teen i liked it! I recommend this movie because it sent a good message to mothers and daughters. One maid showed to much cleavage for kids. She stuck a keydown her shirt and the kids jumped down her shirt as a plan to get the key. except for that, it was an adorable! i think it was a great familymovie for kids and teens of all ages!
Adult Written byThe L July 6, 2012

Good for kids who can handle mildly scary scenes

I was expecting a more independent princess, and I wasn't disappointed! Merida is so angry about the competition for her hand that she refuses to hear her mother out. The whole magical plot is about Merida and Elinor learning to listen to each other, and reestablishing a proper mother-daughter relationship--which is a good lesson for kids of all ages (and maybe some moms, too)! The nudity mentioned in the main review is entirely non-sexual and only occupies maybe 10 seconds of the film--and is a welcome change from the average movie for teens and adults, where cleavage is on display and sexually-charged clothing and behavior are the norm. I would not have had trouble with the spookier scenes in this movie if I'd watched it as a child. However, all kids are different--if your child can't handle Bambi, they may not be ready for this movie. Consider this subject to the "Bambi test"--while it has some of the spookier moments in a Disney movie, they're not any worse than the ones from Bambi or Snow White.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybeccylucy July 5, 2012

A BUTT IS A BUTT, THEY ARE ALL THE SAME

My friends and I went to see Brave as a group a couple days after it came out. We were all excited about the female lead being a little tougher than other Disney princesses and not as perfect. I will admit that it was not my favorite Pixar movie, but I did enjoy it. There was a lot more violence in this movie than other Pixar movies, but it was NO WHERE near a PG-13 rating. The scenes with the bear would be scary to younger children , so I wouldn't suggest it for anyone under 6 or 7 unless they are mature. At the begging of the movie Merida seemed to be just like she was portrayed in the commercials, a strong female lead who could stick up for herself and make her own decisions. But when the movie started she was slightly immature and is very rude to her mother. (Not to say that I wouldn't be if I was going to be forced into marriage.) Her attitude does get much worse before it begins to get better and by the end of the movie she has grown up , and over all changed her attitude for the better. The "sexual content" in the movie is so discreet that the children in our theater didn't get any of it. At the very beginning the King does pinch the queens butt, and there are naked butts in the movie but PLEASE GROW UP A LITTLE. A butt is a butt, they all look the same.
Teen, 16 years old Written byOGORMAN July 5, 2012

I'm somewhat disappointed in Disney...

I give credit to Disney for teaching kids about another country's culture, but aside from that and a few other things... this Disney movie is one that I probably wouldn't watch more than once. I'll start with the things I liked from the movie: When Merida first runs into the will o' the wisps they are cute little blue things, although the noises they make are somewhat creepy and ominous and may freak out younger children. The witch in herself (played by Julie Walters "Mrs. Weasley" in Harry Potter) is not scary AT ALL. When Merida meets her, the cover story she has for her business is funny (it was the only time during the movie where I actually laughed). Merida's mother put a slight smile on my face the way she tried to remain proper even when she was a bear. Though he is meant to be frightening (and definitely will frighten young children) I found the "evil" bear to be a high point of the movie for me. I say "evil" because they found a creative way of tying him into the movie with the story. Now for the bad... The will o' the wisps and Mordu, the "evil" bear, will definitely strike fear in children under 7 or 8. Though it is meant to be comical, it is still mildly inappropriate in a scene where many naked male Scottish rears are shown. They are cartoon bums so they aren't nasty, but still... Merida's three little brothers were nowhere near as cute as I thought they were going to be. They were actually quite conniving and could only be bribed in order to help their sister. Merida's suitors were absolutely ridiculous and totally stereotypical: *SPOILER ALERT* the narcissistic pretty-boy, the skinny and awkward geek, and the poor guy you can't understand at all when he speaks. *END OF SPOILER* Being a Disney movie, I really expected more, but my standards are most likely too high because I grew up with all of the fantastic Disney classics like Toy Story, Lion King, Tarzan, and all the rest. A little fun fact to close this: It took 6 Pixar research engineers more than 3 years to develop the computer program (Taz, named after the Tasmanian Devil) that animated every single one of Merida's 1,500 red curls. Wow!
Kid, 7 years old July 5, 2012

Great movie and NOT so scary!

My husband, daughter, 7, and son, 5, went to see this movie yesterday and we all LOVED it! I was hesitant with all of the reviews that said how inappropriate they thought it was for kids our kids ages and we kept warning them that there may be scary parts coming up. Seriously? This movie was no more scary than any Disney movie we have seen! Did my kids ever cover their eyes? For like two seconds - they were anticipating scary parts I was warning them about, but they were fine. They never sat on our laps or cried or asked to leave the theater. They didn't have nightmares. They loved every minute and they learned a valuable lesson about communication with your parents and how parents sometimes try to teach you things that you may not like out of love for you! It was not all dark and gloomy as we were made to believe. There was no more witchcraft than any other Disney movie (probably less than many - I thought The Princess and the Frog was much scarier in that area). It was a great movie and even better on the big screen, I am sure! Know your kids, but if they have seen Sleeping Beauty or Princess and the Frog and made it through the scary parts, they'll be fine in this movie! Really! It was very enjoyable for all!
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byDocMommy July 5, 2012

Brave is too terrifying & scary for kids!!!

We took our 9 year old daughter and our 6 year old son to see Brave in 3D. Both of our children were scared and terrified of the "bad" bear with the arrows and one eye! This was the first film that ever scared my children. I have never seen my son leap out of his seat in fear until now. My daughter covered her ears and closed her eyes. They were also shaken with the extremely loud noise in the movie. This film is not appropriate for young kids. My kids did NOT like this movie. Whatever positive message Disney was hoping to convey was lost after "the bear." I would recommend the Avengers before this film. As an aside, La Luna the Pixar short before Brave was AMAZING! I was so sure it was a sign of good things to come, sadly it was not. Too bad. :(
Parent Written bysb11 July 4, 2012

Not for kids younger than 7

Parent of a 7 year old Written byldreyer July 4, 2012

Great family movie - not just for girls

My 7 yr old son says it was "Awesome!" - 100 thumbs up!
Educator and Parent Written byLexiv July 4, 2012

Wonderful Mother/Daughter Bonding Film

I read the parental reviews the night before I took my girls (aged 4 & 7) and became concerned that this movie would not be what it seemed to be from the trailers. I was very pleased to see that it was the exciting tough princess film I expected. My 7 year old loved the movie and although she was scared during the intense sequences that made sense - you're supposed to be. She was not unduly frightened and teared up at the happy ending. My daughter is usually quite skittish (at age 5 The Frog Princess had her cowering in my lap), but she was very excited to see this and has been pretending to be Merida (the princess) ever since - no nightmares at all. My 4 year old sat in my lap the whole time (not out of fear, she just always does) and was quite frightened by the bear chase/fight sequences. However, she liked the witch (who is played for laughs not particulary scary at all just kind of mysterious) and she thought the bear queen was great during the more lighthearted parts. This daughter is pretty tough though and very into the whole warrior princess idea - she loves Mulan, Pocahontas and She-Ra, so I was reasonably certain she'd be all right. In fact, the only movies she ever really seemed frightened of were Aladdin (giant snake) and Up (dog fight). And, that's what really bothered me about the other reviews. Certainly, if you have a child who's already afraid of bears or witches or is particularly sensitive to action sequences don't take them to this movie. I thought that the ads did a very good job of making it clear that the movie's going to be filled with excitement, which generally means that things that are scary on some level are going to happen. The princess has to have something scary happen in order to be brave about it, right? Almost all Disney movies are scary. Almost every single one of them involves some kind of witch and/or some type of aggressive animal(s). If your kids are fine with other Disney films they'll be fine with this one too. In my opinion, Snow White (death sleep and witch) and Sleeping Beauty (death sleep and giant dragon) are much scarier than this film. Of all the Disney films I've seen, this one most reminded me of Mulan as far as fright level goes. And, Brave has a lovely mother/daughter bonding message that was a very welcome change from the usual princess/prince "I'll do whatever I want and everything will work out perfect" trope. The message here was overwhelmingly of personal responsibility and the importance of good relationships between family and community members. I highly recommend it.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bychimchimcherie July 4, 2012

One of the best Pixar movies!

This movie was fantastic! There was great action, Merida's little brothers were very funny and it was just a fun movie. My 6-year-old brother was a little scared of the ferocious bear in the beginning of the movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygilly_boy July 3, 2012

Can be touching.

I just have one main problem, two scenes had nudity. Nothing major, mostly guys and one girl caught without clothes and another scene where a bear boy slipping into the upper part of a women's dress, where head goes through. I have to say, there was one scene that was really touching, it brought me to tears which doesn't happen often. If a movie makes me cry then it's a watch from me. Merida really tried so hard to fix her mistake but she should've really thought more carefully on the wording. Something like "I want a spell to change my mother's mind in the idea of getting married." That's just my thought, go and watch the movie; see what you think.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhunterkjones July 3, 2012

Excellent for families and teens – ★★★★★

While the storyline was painfully cliché, the character development and presentation of this new family flick makes it the best Pixar film since its acquirement by Disney.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bysarafmc July 3, 2012

Powerful new fairy tale, but not for the little ones!

I have never seen a mother-daughter movie I enjoyed more than this one. Both characters are strong believable individuals with clear (and conflicting) identities, strengths, and weaknesses. The story is rooted in Celtic tradition, beautifully researched and executed, but it is not a retelling of any obvious princess story, it is an original with strong traditional elements. My 11 year old son loved it and said it wasn't scary at all. My 8 year old daughter loved it but said parts were a little too scary. Parts of it made me jump out of my seat, and the violence is significant and serious, it feels very life and death in places, including the chance that the mother might kill the daughter if she loses control. Please be careful and don't push it because your older child wants to go. I saw people bringing preschoolers in, and then having to take them out crying, and young school-age children on parents' laps, hiding their eyes. I think that probably the best audience for this movie is 10 and up, and the women and girls may respond most strongly to it (my mother also came along and loved it).