Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLAXGIRL July 12, 2012

FYI

I went with my swim team on an outing. I was one of the oldest people there besides the coaches. There were some scenes that I was little scared in and seceral of the little kids told me after that they had to close there eyes because it was so scary for them. That said, I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very happy that Disney has finally made a princess that holds her own and shows that she does NOT need a husband and she is just as good if not better than the men. A very important lesson for both girls and boys when growing up! I Absolutely would recommend this movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent Written bySummer Camp Director July 12, 2012

PARENTS. ARE. WEENIES. SOMETIMES.

I agree there are a couple of violent scenes that touch you, but they are short-lived and have a typical Disney positive outcome. I would leave the pre-schooler at home, but it is fine for most school-age children. Be a good parent and TALK ABOUT THE MOVIE WITH YOUR CHILD!
Parent of a 3 year old Written bysnoopy's mom July 11, 2012

More for moms than kids.

This really is a movie for mothers of girls. I adored it but am not sure a child under the age of 12 will be able to grasp its real message. I was troubled by the excessive violence, particularly between adult men who were the heads of the clans.
Parent Written byFor Real July 11, 2012

Disappointed

Too violent, plus to have the daughter "poison" the mom who turns into a bear who then turns on the daughter just isn't suitable for the audience it is written for. It was over the top for a Disney film.
Teen, 16 years old Written byanonanonymously July 11, 2012

A Decent Flick.

What this movie lacks in plot is made up through new views that Disney and Pixar have hardly touched upon in many of their other romantic male-dependent movies. We see in Mulan that she is a stronger female role than many other Disney princesses, however she too eventually seeks out romance. Merida however completely pushes away this idea. The animation is utterly brilliant, even in the plain 'ol 2D showing. The plot, while rather bland at times, will keep you interested. There are some frightening moments, however (in my opinion at least) for most children 5+ shouldn't be too upsetting.
Kid, 10 years old July 11, 2012

Nice movie

Nice Movie.. Pixar has done it again =D!! Two Kinda Scary Parts ( In My Opinion ) 1: *KINDA SPOILER ALERT* ;D!! When Merdia Brings Home the cake from the witch and when the queen eats it.. Scary music plays ( like i said.. My opinion ) and she turns into a bear. 2: The prince curse.. The theater is really loud so this part is scary.. Merdia and her mom ( Tha Bear :D) Discover a broken castle. They go in and see a picture of a prince and his family split apart. Merdia remembers the storys Fergus told her.. Then heres the scary part.. SPOILER ALERT!!! She has a flashback of her cutting Her mom out of the picture. She turns around and a bear ( the prince in the picture) Jumps out and roars. I Litterally jumped out of my seat. Sex: In one part ( not really sex.. ) It shows the mens butts but they dont show the " You know what "..Also.. The Maid ( i think.. or was she a cook?) The key is in Her ( YOU KNOW WHAT!! ) And the bears ( Meridas Brothers.. Long story) jump in her ..... Eh.. to much info.. I Reccomend this movie for 10 and up :)
Parent Written bypbash66 July 11, 2012

Scary bear, good story

Teen, 13 years old Written bylivi727 July 9, 2012

Defiantly not for little kids!

Brave turned out to be a little scary. (Thanks Disney,now I'm terrified of bears) The first 30 minutes was cute but then it got all dark. I'd say this movie is for kids 10 and up. The ending was nice though.
Kid, 9 years old July 9, 2012

What? 7+? OMG

get yo own copy of this movie it is thumbs up
Kid, 12 years old July 9, 2012

Fantastic!

This was an absolutely fantastic movie with marvelous animation. This movie is hard to describe in words, but I can describe it in one - WOW.
Adult Written byJukilum July 9, 2012

Pixar's Crudest Movie

Brave isn't quite as good as other Pixar films, but it is still leagues ahead of almost every other movie put out in recent years. The amount of crude humor is unusually high for a Pixar movie, though. At one point during a midnight showing the friend that I went with leaned over and said, "What's this movie rated again?" It isn't as bad as a lot of Dreamworks films, but it is a surprising and unwelcome change for Pixar. The other issue with this movie is that like in almost every other movie and TV show, the fathers in it are portrayed as silly and useless, and it is hard to imagine how he was chosen as King as alluded to during the movie.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bypopcorn2 July 9, 2012

Delightful and inspiring/Bear fighting intense.

Wow! I just read some of the reviews and can't believe the number of negatives. I had to edit my post. The lesson here is to know your kids. Mine are sensitive to "bad guys", explosions and guns, storms, fire, and constant peril. ("Finding Nemo" on DVD was an excruciating experience not likely to be repeated.) "Brave" has none of these things and a very positive message to boot. Yes! The bear on bear scene is scary! I agree it is a bit much. But I disagree that the scary bear scenes are throughout. I actually thought the comic relief was well timed and prevented the movie from taking itself too seriously. I really haven't seen a movie yet (besides "Cars") that I honestly thought was appropriate for kids under 7. But we try from time to time without causing any real harm. ;-)
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byenajleborts July 8, 2012

Movie explores an explosive mother/daughter relationship

I agree with the reviews that label this movie as too scary for the young ones. But we've had an interesting development with my tween (11 year old) after watching this. It's as if she's decided to try out some of the rebellious attitudes of the main character...or perhaps it's given her the freedom or validation to act out feelings she already has? The mother/daughter relationship pictured here is fraught with angst and violent attitudes. If this dynamic is already alive in your relationship, perhaps it would be valuable to watch it pictured and use this as a springboard for discussion. But I wonder how healthy the messages here are. The daughter's rebelliousness results in an almost disastrous outcome, perhaps scaring tweens that their strong feelings are very dangerous to their mothers. On the good side, it all turns out okay in the end, and the daughter and mother both take responsibility for their mistakes. Both mother and daughter grow as a result of the things that happen. But the path is so treacherous to get there...think carefully about these messages for your daughters.
Kid, 11 years old July 8, 2012

Great family movie! A little intense.

This is a great movie that shows a great bond between Marida (the princess) and her mom. I am 10 years old and I found a few scenes quite intense. A little girl in the theater says she had to close her eyes. There is also a couple of scenes with much violence (no gore). The mother and father do have a little bit intense romance moment for a kids movie at the end. Great movie overall! Would love to see it again!
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bydonnaz July 8, 2012

scary

The beginning was good but at the middle the mom turned into a bear under blankets. When they see these creatures in the woods called wisps they follow the path of wisps. It is scary because she falls into a broken down castle. There was another bear in the castle that was mean. Too many scary parts, many kids were unhappy and leaving the theater.
Parent of a 3, 4, and 6 year old Written bycmo July 8, 2012

Too scary for young kids

We wish we had more closely checked into this movie before taking our three kids, age 3, 4 and 5 (almost 6). The images are amazing. Though there are some funny, positive, tender and brave moments in the film, it is just scary to young kids. My oldest says he liked the movie except the scary bear part. When I asked him if he would like to see it again, he hesitated and said he wanted to fast forward through the 'really' scary parts . . . My youngest covered her eyes a few times and buried her head in the seat at one point. My middle child actually asked to leave, so I left with him over half way through the movie. I regret taking our kids to this movie at their current ages and wish that my husband and I had left with our kids all together.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bySnoozhe July 7, 2012

Good message and movie--a little scary

I liked this movie and the group of girls (and one boy) did too--girls age 9 and 10. Most gave it a "10"! A couple of the girls said it was a little scary and they cried--but mostly because (spoiler alert) they thought the Mom was going to die. My 5.5 year old boy wasn't scared at all, so I think this is likely to scare sensitive boys and younger girls. In fact, my boy laughed a lot more than the girls (it's that boy humor that is all over the story). This isn't the best Pixar movie--but the animation is beautiful, and the message is really good. I love how it resolves with regret, an apology and forgiveness. This is "real life" for pre-teens and teens. If you are not ready for your 5 year old to see someone talking back, than this is not the movie for you. And mothers and daughters fight all. the. time. Though she is disrespectful, she pays for it in consequences. That's a good lesson for all of us! As for the cleavage/key thing--it was a little weird and inappropriate. But I would say it was not done in a sexual manner. It was approached like a mischievious boy would approach it. And the animation bums? I guess they could have left them out, but I find your American beach to be much more suggestive and with a much higher sexual element than those cartoon bottoms. And most of us take our kids to the beach, right? Don't get me wrong. I'm very conservative about things like this, but these are minor things especially considering most young kids aren't phased by a naked bottom. I thought it was a good movie; better than Cars 2 for sure--not as good as Monsters or Toy Story 1. But compared to all of the other junk out there? This is much better. But if your child is scared easily, you should wait until they are about 9 or 10.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmartkitty July 6, 2012

super cool

this movie realy scared my four year old cusin but its awsome
Teen, 14 years old Written bymootchnika July 6, 2012

Great Messages!

i think it was a cute movie! even as a teen i liked it! I recommend this movie because it sent a good message to mothers and daughters. One maid showed to much cleavage for kids. She stuck a keydown her shirt and the kids jumped down her shirt as a plan to get the key. except for that, it was an adorable! i think it was a great familymovie for kids and teens of all ages!
Adult Written byThe L July 6, 2012

Good for kids who can handle mildly scary scenes

I was expecting a more independent princess, and I wasn't disappointed! Merida is so angry about the competition for her hand that she refuses to hear her mother out. The whole magical plot is about Merida and Elinor learning to listen to each other, and reestablishing a proper mother-daughter relationship--which is a good lesson for kids of all ages (and maybe some moms, too)! The nudity mentioned in the main review is entirely non-sexual and only occupies maybe 10 seconds of the film--and is a welcome change from the average movie for teens and adults, where cleavage is on display and sexually-charged clothing and behavior are the norm. I would not have had trouble with the spookier scenes in this movie if I'd watched it as a child. However, all kids are different--if your child can't handle Bambi, they may not be ready for this movie. Consider this subject to the "Bambi test"--while it has some of the spookier moments in a Disney movie, they're not any worse than the ones from Bambi or Snow White.