All member reviews for Brave

Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Parent Written byLove my daughter July 3, 2012

What part of this kids actions were "brave"?

I would be remiss if I didn't start with the concept that really bugged the most about this movie. That is the idea that this girl was not getting her way so she poisons her mother (with a witches cursed cake). How is this "brave"? The message as I see it is, "hey kids, if you're not getting things the way you want them and what you're being asked to do isn't fun go ahead and strike out in harmful ways at your parents even if you don't fully understand the consequences or the reasons your parents are doing what they are doing." Otherwise, it's kind of dark and violent for a Disney princess movie. Lots of fighting and a scary demon bear. There was also nude CGI man butts and some copious cleavage which I thought were all unneeded, along with a butt pinch and some rolling around kissing while the woman was nude under a blanket. Overall not a bad story, and it was visually wonderful. Amazing what they can do with CGI these days. Very realistic. Overall, I think it's better than some Disney efforts but maybe not really for younger kids who aren't used to the violence.
Adult Written byhoffmans71 July 3, 2012

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND STAY HOME

This is terrible!!! We didn't even last the whole movie. I didn't see overwhelming scariness, what I did UNFORTUNATELY see was multiple adult male naked bottoms, and a little bear dive toward a woman bossom for a hidden key. Not appropriate and a pathetic excuse for a Disney film. Also the daughter wasn't brave but she was massively disrespectful and irresponsible.
Parent Written by2012MOMof2 July 3, 2012

Questionable

I liked the concept at first. The princess seemed brave and strong willed. But even a strong willed child needs to bow at times to their parents. In this movie - Merida was more defiant and disrespectful than anything. When her mother told her not to shoot the third arrow and she did anyways - it came off as very disrespectul and defiant in my opinion. The housemaids bustline and the mens bottoms were not necessary, but I was able to overlook it. I guess the animators felt it was important to make small children aware that Scottish/Irish men do not traditionall wear underwear under their kitls. OK. But when the road to getting what she wanted led to a witches doorstep and a request to change her mother, that was a bit too much for me. The message that it gave was that children can change their parents into what they want, by any means they choose. In the end, Mireda did get what she wanted out of her mother. So it comes off as though the tricking your mother into doing what you want her to do by using an evil spell, was not such a bad idea after all. Kids will be kids, but I dont agree with a movie that seemingly supports a child deceiving and 'changing' their mother into what THEY want. Not cool.
Parent Written byLoveOldPixar July 3, 2012

Not a Pixar G movie

We took our 10-year-old daughter, 6-year-old son, and 4-year-old daughter since we all "loved" every other Pixar film. However, all of us were completely disappointed. More than 50 minutes in, my 10-year-old asked me when the story would start. And the scenes with the bear were completely over the top, violent, and not appropriate for the average 1st, 2nd grader. Both my son and younger daughther had nightmares. Again, only reason we went was because it was Pixar. Very frightening for the younger kids - more deserving of a PG rating for violence. Having said that, the butt scene did make all of the kids giggle, which was really the only time they laughed. To conclude, there was no connection made with the characters. Didn't we all cry during Toy Story 3, and weren't we all sad that Bo Peep and others were "gone"? You won't get that here with Brave.
Parent Written byMovieDad1544 July 2, 2012

Sad little girls

We've been playing up this movie to our kids for months. We have a little red-headed 4 year old another 5 year old daughter. The 5 year old has had some trouble in the past with the more evil bad guys, my 4 year old isn't afraid of much. We took them to Brave yesterday and it was an absolute nightmare. My 5 year old left about half-way through. My 4 year old wanted to stay so I stayed with her but the movie just kept getting scarier and she spent much of it in my lap with her eyes closed. There was a party behind us with about 10-12 girls, guessing they were in the 8-9 range, half of them were crying. I simply have no idea what Disney was thinking. This movie is just not for kids. I'm very disappointed that the movie was so scary and that the trailers were so misleading. In the end this was my fault, I'll remember to read here before going to any more movies.
Kid, 11 years old July 2, 2012

Well, I really like medieval times and anything that has to do with kings or castles. :)

My plans were changed. I was originally going up to the theater to watch a different movie when my father said that my younger sister- nine years old- might be bored sitting through the movie. So, seeing as there was one movie she might want to watch, we saw Brave. And well, it was actually pretty good. It might be a bit scary for smaller children in some parts, but overall, not very scary. There is some violence, with partial nudity- just comical- and some drinking, but not overly excessive. Overall, since I haven't seen anything overly satisfactory pumped out of Disney or Pixar for awhile, it was very good.
Adult Written bykoujokakyuu July 1, 2012

C'mon Pixar! You could do so much better!

I was hoping for a Pixar quality film centering on a strong female character. What they delivered was beautiful, but fell flat in the story department. Surely Pixar could have found a road less travelled for this film. It is simply a be-careful-what-you-wish-for story that centers on poor mother-daughter relations and unwanted betrothal. As if betrothal is relevant to young girls' lives. Been there, done that, so 400 years ago. Blech! There was one uncomfortable moment where the lady-in-waiting/maid type had hidden a key in her bosom, and one of the three young boys in the house went after it. I just rmember feeling repulsed by the way they structured that scene and the camera angles. Sheesh! Additionally, there were several pretty songs by a female recording artst, but they weren't the sing-along or even secret thoughts of our characters type, just moneymakers. Even the short was slow and uninspiring.
Adult Written bysirmaxmk July 1, 2012

Confused

I was really surpirsed about the intensity and violence of this movie. It has witch craft and scary scenes. I read a number of different of reviews and I am really confused how they are all saying this is a family film. My 8 yr/old daughter is still bothered by it the day after. I would definitely be careful with younger children and sensitive kids.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bymark_tx July 1, 2012

too scary

I saw this with my friend. It was much too scary.
Adult Written byag1 July 1, 2012

Beautiful movie, but way too scary for children

Visually, Brave is a wonderful movie. The positive message for girls is also excellent. However, it is WAY too scary for children. Why do filmmakers think that they have to pack a lot of action and scary scenes into a children's movie? I saw it with my 11 year old daughter, but she was hiding her face or turning around not to see many of the unnecessarily scary scenes.
Parent Written bygoddessrfl July 1, 2012

Great for brave kids of all ages

My girls are 8 and 4 and they both loved it. There were a few scary, jump in your seat moments but that's not something that's ever bothered us. If your kids are really timid and easily scared, this may not be the movie for you. However, I think most kids now are used to the thrill ride that a movie can provide and will love the action and suspense and laughs this movie provides. Plus, it shows girls in a strong role which is always appreciated in our family. Great movie and worth the price of a ticket at the "real" theater :)
Parent Written byalabamudclay July 1, 2012

Little kid stuff

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byMercurybabe June 30, 2012

Watch Out! Scary and Disappointing

I wish I had read the other reviews here first before we went to see this movie. It was violent with a storyline that appeared to be slapped together in a hurry, so that many things did not make sense. I also did not like the fact that the daughter gets her mother to mysteriously agree with her by feeding her a magic cake obtained from a witch. The children (including her brothers) continually misbehave with no repercussions whatsoever, and there are absolutely no male characters who are even remotely respectable--they are all either bumbling, stupid, greedy, warlike, or vain, etc. I wanted to like the main character, but her character development is shallow and stunted. The violent scenes were disturbing to my 12 year old daughter who has seen Hunger Games! I felt really sorry for all the little kids in the audience. I expect more from Disney and Pixar; next time I will look at the reviews much more carefully before shelling out $17.00 to see one of their movies with my daughter.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byQuiltMama80 June 30, 2012

Our family loved it!

My family thought this movie was great. My daughters are 8 and 12 years old and did NOT think this film was scary at all. My 12 year old says it was a cute movie and my 8 year old agrees! I guess they have thicker skin than the other kids that went to see this. Then again, no one in the theatre complained about the movie either. I agree that there should have been more character development but all in all it was a fine film. And the moral of the film is be careful what you wish for.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymrbookworm01 June 30, 2012

Really good, but too scary for younger children

I saw this movie today and it was really good. It has some surprisingly scary scenes, but nothing too intense for older children. I liked that the main character, Marida, is self-reliant, courageous, and, unlike most Disney princesses, isn't obsessed with romance and meeting their true love. OK for kids 9+. Educational: Kids might learn a little about Scotish culture. Violence: A lot of pretty scary scenes, mainly towards the middle and end. The beginning shows Merida's father losing his leg to a bear, but it's not shown on-screen. Merida and her mother frequently argue. Some scary encounters with vicious bears, but nobody is seriously hurt. The witch and the evil bear, Mardu, can both be frightening to younger children. Some lighter battles between the Scotsman, and some slapstick violence. Sex: Elinor and Fergus are a couple and frequently hug and at one point, Fergus hits her on the bottom. At the end, Elinor is naked and covered by a sheet, but nothing is shown, and Fergus takes notice. Also, some moments show naked animated bottoms. Consumerism: No product placement, but merchandise like dolls, a video game, and other things are for sale. Drinking: Some casual drinking among adults, but nothing excessive.
Parent Written byHeidiSalerno June 30, 2012

Excellent!

Brave was amazing! Besides the princess being a strong, smart, brave warrior with bad ass hair, she finally had a mother! Unlike Snow White, Cinderella, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine and Pocahontas whose mothers Disney killed, or Sleeping Beauty and Rapunzel whose mothers were ripped away by Disney from birth to 16, Merida doesn't just have a mother (sure Tiana had a mother whose only role was to remind her of her father's dream) but the very story is about their bond. Finally! Only took Disney 70 years to allow a strong mother/daughter story. The symbolic moment when Merida held her bow up to her own father (Disney) and said, "I will not let you kill my mother!" I cried, I've been wanted Disney to stop killing mothers for decades now. Thank you Pixar's first woman director and writer Brenda Chapman and producer Katherine Sarafian. Loved every bit of the movie! The bears are loud and the fights with the bears can be scary.
Adult Written byyellowmom June 30, 2012

NOT for kids!

Wow. Do NOT take any child under 10 to this. It is quite violent and VERY scarey. My 9-year-old daughter kept asking when we could leave and had nightmares that night. Disney has marketed this as a family-friendly kid movie. It is anything but! And honestly, this is the worst 3D quality I've seen. Much of the movie was blurry.
Parent Written bythe Otter June 30, 2012

Great movie, but know your kids.

As an adult, I loved *Brave*. The movie was SO much better than most of the trash that Hollywood markets to adults. However, I would agree with the other reviewers that it is way too violent for some younger children. While our five-year-old son absolutely loved it, our six-year-old daughter was terrified by several of the scarier scenes. As always, Pixar’s animation is the standard by which all others are to be judged: the realism is amazing, although to be honest, I’m not sure the 3D glasses added much to it. Regarding the film’s message and educational value, the ultimate message of the movie is the process by which Merida grows from a self-centered teen to an equal member of a loving family. While my wife was bothered by her initial Weltanschauung, I found the transformation both inspirational and believable and could easily see it becoming the basis for many a family discussion. All told, a great movie, but again, you definitely need to know your kids. I rated it “violence” because it indeed has some, but would not rate it “excessive violence”; it’s just a PG movie, and I think a lot of people are complaining because MPAA ratings are worthless—hence the need for sites like this.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byFiremed Sam June 30, 2012

Worst Disney Movie Yet

This is Disney's most violent "princess type" of movie, I've ever seen. I can't figure out why they named it Brave. The main character is never brave. She is more of a selfish, spoiled teenager, who teaches children how to "get even" with their mom's, if they don't like how they "parent" them. This is a terrifying movie for children under 9 years of age. 85 % of the movie is filled with knives, daggers, and axes, being used on other humans, as well as a scene where an ax is thrown at, and stuck into the forehead of, a stuffed bear. I am extremely disappointed in Disney. The merchandise is geared towards 6-year-olds and under. This movie is NOT for the same age group. So sad. Disney really messed up.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bybenjaminb June 29, 2012

My 7 year old loved it.

Frankly, I'm surprised by the negative reviews by the parents for this movie. My 7 year old calls it one of the best movies she's seen in a long time. Spoiler alert: Yes, the mother turns into a bear, there are certainly scary bear scenes, the father comes close to unknowingly killing his wife (which he believes is just a bear). My child was captivated but not overly scared. It's clearly a fairy tale. The only bare bottoms we noticed briefly were little kids'; the male bare bottom is only suggested, with humor, and not actually shown. This story is ultimately about a young girl who develops a contrite heart--and once that humble state is achieved, all is made right. Her mother and father clearly display love for her and they also have a loving marriage. Not all the males are portrayed as idiotic as one reviewer said; the father is a good, decent man--which is what the young girl uses to compare her marriage options to. I thought it was refreshing to see a movie where Prince Charming doesn't come to rescue the young woman, and there's a parent-child struggle that leads to closer familial bonds.